Five "this-got-real!" moments from cartoons I grew up with.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By waezi2

Spider-Man threatens to kill Rhino. (Spider-Man 1994)

No Caption Provided

Being a kid from the 90s, I got introduced to superheroes through television. And I was a big fan of the Spider-Man cartoon that I still love, despite it's many flaws.

So it was quite a shocking experience when I for the first time saw Spider-Man in his new cool suit decided to threaten to KILL Rhino by flattening him like a bug. Others who had read the comics probably saw it coming, but I hadn't, so it was quite a jaw-dropper for me.

Mr. Uno's face-reveal. (Codename: Kids Next Door)

The episode where Number One is dragged on a fishing trip by his embarrassing dad was probably where I realized how much potential this cartoon that seemed somewhat stupid actually had.

Number One's dad decided to go fishing with his son since his newspaper suggested it and want the boy to have a good time with him. But Number One does NOT have a good time since he wanted to be with the rest of his team and fight evil adults, and it only makes it worse that his father is playing on some infernal tuba-like instrument.

I would like to add that the parent's faces were usually hidden in the series, an old trope in cartoon with kids as the main characters to show how foreign the adults are to them.

So it says a lot that Mr. Uno's face has been hidden right to the point where Number One yells that he prefers to be with his friends.

No Caption Provided

And we see Mr. Uno being... sad and shameful. He is not mad or anything, he feels sincerely saddened that he annoyed his son when all he wanted was to be with him and he apologizes and tells his son that he just wanted to be his friend.

And Number One feels like an asshole. And honestly, he SHOULD feel like one.

He stops seeing his father as some annoying adult and instead sees him as the kind and well-meaning father who's only crime was to try and bond with his little boy.

DUDE!

Molly tries to kill Spirit. (Oban Star Racers)

No Caption Provided

Did I mention that I love Oban Star Racers? Because I do, I REALLY love Oban Star Racers. Mostly because of the episode where our hero Molly is racing against the shape-shifting alien Spirit who presumably murdered her mother.

In the series, Molly competed against several alien species in races where her opponents had ships superior compared to hers. She had to rely on the ship's speed and her great reflexes since she couldn't afford to play bumper cars with her somewhat fragile ship.

Yet when she is up against the alien who is responsible for her mother's death, she forgets all about that OR she simply doesn't care as she is angry as hell while trying to smash Spirit against a wall or otherwise make him crash. Yet all she does is endangering herself as well as the life of her partner and gunner Jordan.

It was nerve-racking to watch!

Shobu gets kicked out of the Duelist Temple. (Duel Masters)

No Caption Provided

Shobu was invited to come and prove his worth in the Temple, a place where only the best of the best Duel Masters players can be allowed access.

... And he gets OWNED by the first of the four temple guardians. Completely humiliated.

And this is the Temple we are talking about. Losing is not acceptable. Lose once, JUST once, and they will kick you out and you won't be allowed to come back. Weakness is not welcome.

It was unexpectedly heartbreaking to see Shobu lose this early, he had barely entered the temple before he got kicked out, and he was on his knees, crying while the rain falls. He got the chance of a lifetime and he BLEW IT!

Capella's sacrifice. (Story Keepers)

No Caption Provided

Ben, a brave baker and the leader of the underground Christians in Rome, has been arrested and is to be executed in order to make an example to all other Christians. While captive, Ben has tried to tell Capella, a soldier who assisted in his arrest, about his faith and even decided not to escape when given the chance since he knew that Capella would be killed for failing to stop him. When Ben is to be crucified and Capella has been given the honor of being the one nailing Ben to the cross, he decides to free his new friend and fight the soldiers so Ben and his friends can escape. When he is crossing blades with his superior officer Nihilus who mocks him, telling him that he has sign his own grave, Capella simply replies that death is no longer his enemy but that Nihilus is.

Capella is mortally wounded, but Ben manages to bring him along as they escape. Capella dies in Ben's arms, encouraging Ben to continue telling the stories of Jesus. For his sacrifice, Capella is buried in the family tomb of Senator Patronius, a friend of Ben's.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man, I remember that KND episode. Reminds me of the Goofy Movie. That moment when you really feel like the kid was a jerk.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

yeah, i remember them saying they liked to first show the parents' faces during emotional moments

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: that was the matador episode, right?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: that was the matador episode, right?

Yep, where bullies tricked fathers into thinking they were going to learn how to be better parents, then pumped them up with caffeine till they went crazy.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think it was the episode from Superman : The Animated Series when we see somebody actually executed in a gas chamber (just after he figured out Superman's secret identity).

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Optimus Prime dies

Darkseid kills that cop Dan something

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@kiba said:

Darkseid kills that cop Dan something

Dan Turpin.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash hauls off on brainiac

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tjd2814:

@phisigmatau:

@indomitableregal:

@faradaysloth:

@warlockmage: @kairan1979:

@riddlersriddle: @green_tea: @amazing_webhead: @worldofthunder:

(More stuff I can't post on the site.)

Soooo... what's the deal with Easter eggs?

Easter eggs makes little sense, both in a Jewish and Christian context. As a christian, I have wondered about this for years.

I somehow doubt that after Jesus had been crucified and his apostles gathered around the cross, looking at him with filled with sorrow, Jesus looked down at them and asked:

“My apostles. The time has come for me to leave you. Will you remember me?”

“Of course, Rabbi. And we have found out how we will keep your memory alive. With eggs!”

“I… I’m sorry, eggs?“

“Yeah, that’s right! Chocolate eggs! Andrew suggested chocolate rabbits as well. They are going to be hollow, so you can have something inside the egg, like candy or something. It’s going to be great!“

“It is?”

“Yeah! And the eggs are going to be packed in colorful tinfoil!”

“Sound… festive.“ Jesus sighed.

“I know, right!? But some of us were worried. You know, if the eggs were going to fall over.”

“That would be a problem.“

“But we solved that problem by using a piece of cardboard to have the egg on. Pretty clever, right?“

“Very…“

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Lol. There's always the Ishtar theory.

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: i was never very religious so I know less than you do

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2:
dude that was one of a few times Peter lost it. check this videoo

Loading Video...

and here a a big time underrated moment

Loading Video...

i had it set to skip to 4:32

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good list my dude. I really need to continue my rewatch of kids next door.