Feminist theory

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Edited By MisterAnderson

Recently, I have read several discussions of comic books purporting to hold up feminist ideals, and quite a few people arguing about the writers' success. However, there are different forms of feminist practice, and so I offer here some definitions within feminist theory to help with Comic Vine users' understanding of feminism. There are many derivations of feminism not described here, but the movements I have chosen to describe here should give you a background for your own research.

Feminism—Umbrella term for various approaches for defining, establishing, and protecting the agency of women. The respective movements and philosophies that define themselves as Feminist have different agendas; a contemporary American 20something has different concerns than an Egyptian woman resisting misogynist laws, even as suffragettes in the late 19th century had different concerns than radical feminists of the 1970s. While some contend men’s liberation is essential for change to occur, while other movements concentrate solely on women’s issues. Gender equality is the bottom line.

Liberal Feminism—Seeks political reform and legislation as primary means of guaranteeing gender equality. This is the movement most associated with women’s suffrage [theright to vote].

Cultural Feminism—An essentialist perspective of Feminism, attempting to define femininityand womanhood. However, this movement was criticized for being exclusionary to the identities of women from marginalized ethnic groups and nonwhite cultures, and for its shortcomings in promoting political agency for women.

Radical Feminism (a.k.a. “Women’s Liberation”)—Sees patriarchal institutions as responsible for women’s oppression, and believes society needs to be completely overhauled. Their idea of hell would (justifiably) be that described in Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale, while paradise might be Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra’s Y: The Last Man.

Postmodern Feminism—Uses the work of French post-structuralists like Jacques Derrida and Jacques Lacan as the foundation for reinterpreting gender in order to make effective change in an evolving world. Judith Butler’s Gender Trouble is an extremely significantwork for this movement, as is Hélène Cixous’ “The Laugh of the Medusa.”

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#1 BumpyBoo  Moderator

This is great, a really interesting read :) As you say, there is more to the subject, but this is a nicely done jumping on point for anyone who wanted to delve further in. Plus it's always nice to read an unbiased, informative piece on feminism, you don't find that too frequently on the internet!

*burns bra just to be awkward*

:P

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's use the smoldering underwire to brand cattle with BB (for BumpyBoo). Bumpy Burgers for everyone!

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just make me a sandwitch woman

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@misteranderson: Okay but I'm not cooking them. Your fault for educating me.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Oooh, ohhh also I feel this belongs here:

No Caption Provided

Couldn't resist.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feminism is an advanced art if trolling.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

There's this one girl on my facebook who I'm friends with (mostly cause she's very attractive) who claims to be a feminist, though she's not, she's just annoying. Hating Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines", posting statuses about random injustices against women and quoting Lena Dunham does NOT make one a feminist.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

There's this one girl on my facebook who I'm friends with (mostly cause she's very attractive) who claims to be a feminist, though she's not, she's just annoying. Hating Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines", posting statuses about random injustices women and quoting Lena Dunham does NOT make one a feminist.

Lol those social media "feminists" are the worst

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it ok if I didn't care about this in the slightest.

CIN.

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommyjones1945: It's as fine for you to be indifferent as the thousands of Comic Vine users who didn't feel the need to project their apathy.

@mitran I substitute taught in a university course that used The Handmaid's Tale. It may have led more than a handful of them to reconsider English degrees.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@extremis said:

@the_stegman said:

There's this one girl on my facebook who I'm friends with (mostly cause she's very attractive) who claims to be a feminist, though she's not, she's just annoying. Hating Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines", posting statuses about random injustices women and quoting Lena Dunham does NOT make one a feminist.

Lol those social media "feminists" are the worst

quite

http://pretendbians.com/?p=1107

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@misteranderson: Awesome, thanks for establishing all that. Speaking as someone who's basically ignorant about the subject, it's nice to see an explanation in such basic terms.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it ok if I didn't care about this in the slightest.

CIN.

I don't care either