Even when you think someone is "full of it" telling fantastic tales do you treat them as if they're being truthful?

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dr_Shenanigans

It always kinda annoys me when people call bullshit on someone even when the odds are they're role playing or just simply full of crap.

I mean I love hearing stories of someones world tour of underground fighting circuits even if it's total bullshit.

Why do people feel the need to call people out on stuff like that? Why not just indulge them in their fantasy?

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like maybe the dude in my example really did have connections in the IFAA or IMAF & really did win a bunch of underground tournaments idk.

Chad_Duby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chad_duby: What if I told you I was the globetrotting tournament champion?

Chad_Duby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dr_Shenanigans
jonjizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jonjizz

maybe they don't want the other person to embarrass themselves, like when i defeated dwayne johnson at armwrestling after he challenged me the other day

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sure, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes. Doesn't mean I believe them, but I'm polite about it.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Alavanka

If it has anything to do with fighting or martial arts, you call them out on the spot. Don't really care what stories people make up for other things.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. It goes one of two ways:

1) I sit there most likely grinning or something. Not taking shit he say seriously and not saying anything.

2) Call him out for it. But not aggressively. Just in a "Lmao you bullshitting" way and tell him.why he's bullshitting. If he keeps insisting he's telling the truth I'll probably just drop it or walk away.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do a lot of nodding and acknowledging that I am paying attention. But really I am not, somehow I can intuitively tell when the right time is to say "wow" or "ahh" or "yeah". I can even tell when to ask a question that makes it sound like I am paying attention. Such as "so what are you really saying?" Or "how did that make you feel?".

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Depends on the situation.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 SC  Moderator

Depends, back when I use to be an underground cage fighter, a lot of the other fighters use to make up nonsense. One guy claimed he could catch bullets with his mouth. Another claimed he once fought Bruce Lee in a best of three fight and won. Another guy claimed he copulated with Godzilla and his lizard offspring were the shadow government of the USA.

Sometimes I would nod and go along, other times I would telepathically pull out their eyeballs and then wear them as a necklace, to show them, I won't tolerate their fantastical tall tales.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on how overblown the story is most of the time.

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Depends, back when I use to be an underground cage fighter, a lot of the other fighters use to make up nonsense. One guy claimed he could catch bullets with his mouth. Another claimed he once fought Bruce Lee in a best of three fight and won. Another guy claimed he copulated with Godzilla and his lizard offspring were the shadow government of the USA.

Sometimes I would nod and go along, other times I would telepathically pull out their eyeballs and then wear them as a necklace, to show them, I won't tolerate their fantastical tall tales.

I think the bullet guy was telling the truth, I mean Ace Ventura did it.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why should people indulge them? There is nothing wrong with enjoying their stories, but don't be surprised when they get called out on it. Not everyone has the patience or the desire to entertain bullshitters.

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why should people indulge them? There is nothing wrong with enjoying their stories, but don't be surprised when they get called out on it. Not everyone has the patience or the desire to entertain bullshitters.

But there's always a chance they're actually being for real. Who knows?

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_shenanigans: If someone is telling tall tales on the internet, chances are that they are either exaggerating or downright lying. Why should you or anyone take the word of a random internet person, anyway?

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe.

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_shenanigans: If someone is telling tall tales on the internet, chances are that they are either exaggerating or downright lying. Why should you or anyone take the word of a random internet person, anyway?

Because there really are some people out there doing wild ass shit. I just think it's a little rude to tell someone they're full of shit when you can't actually know that for sure. Now it's a totally different story if they can't keep theirs straight or they contradict themselves but until then I'm always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_shenanigans: There is nothing unreasonable about not taking the people on the internet at their word. I don't need to point out that the internet begets bullshitting, trolling etc.

But you're obviously free to believe what you want. Just don't expect everyone to share your belief.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

50/50

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_shenanigans: There is nothing unreasonable about not taking the people on the internet at their word. I don't need to point out that the internet begets bullshitting, trolling etc.

But you're obviously free to believe what you want. Just don't expect everyone to share your belief.

But still, why rain on their parade or poop on their party? Why not just let 'em have their fun?

More often then not it comes off as a malicious personal attack as if their pissed off about it or something.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually let them down gently.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_shenanigans: I agree that one does not need to be rude about it, but people have their reasons.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BatmanPlusJay

@dr_shenanigans: Some scrawny kid in my middle school who was white, but loved to act black, swears to everything he was robbed at gun point and he told the guy with the gun to get out of his face, then he supposedly yanked the gun from his hand and punched the guy in the face. Then took the clip out the gun and removed the bullet from the chamber and threw the gun in the air onto a roof and ran.

And dude SWEARS it happened.

Should I have believed him?

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or, you could just outdo them at it. See who's the better bullshit artist.

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_shenanigans: Some scrawny kid in my middle school who was white, but loved to act black, swears to everything he was robbed at gun point and he told the guy with the gun to get out of his face, then he supposedly yanked the gun from his hand and punched the guy in the face. Then took the clip out the gun and removed the bullet from the chamber and threw the gun in the air onto a roof and ran.

And dude SWEARS it happened.

Should I have believed him?

It's not impossible so...Yeah!

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or, you could just outdo them at it. See who's the better bullshit artist.

I like the way you think!

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SC  Moderator
SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc:

If you give me my eyes back I will tell the lizard people not to tax you anymore

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SC  Moderator

@sc:

If you give me my eyes back I will tell the lizard people not to tax you anymore

Yeah... okay. Wow. So what are you really saying?

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SC  Moderator

@sc:

Touché

...yeah but you are still going to tell the lizard people to stop right? I don't like when they do that thing with their necks. Self decapitation or whatever. Makes me sad... like that time I was on the Titanic and it hit an iceberg, I tamed and used a Great White Shark to save hundreds of people, but still... many millions still perished in those icey hot waters.

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: Leroy but Ace wont be easy to put down, the dude beat up a shark.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc:

Who's the Master !!

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers