Do you think the standalone Marvel movies are lame?

• 61 results
Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

CA, Thor, Hulk, Agents of SHIELD (I'm counting that, yes)... They only became interesting to in The Avengers. Iron Man was the only worthwile standalone of the bunch.

Personally, I'm not even looking forward to T:TDW. It looks boring and cliche ("We have to stop the Darkness!!" Really? "The Darkness"? Can someone verify if that is comic canon for me, or something they made up?)

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Nope I've liked them all

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By King_Saturn

I liked them actually... I am curious how Avengers 2 is gonna work.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Daredevil rocks

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Both Hulk movies were lame. Otherwise everything else was good.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually prefered Cap America over the Avengers...cause I'm weird like that.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Like them all. They were good which made Avengers great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Most 'o them aint jolly.

Thar be some real treasures though.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The MCU's standalone movies are all awesome besides Iron Man 2 and 3.

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I liked all of them, they didn't blow me away necessarily but I enjoyed them.

The darkness is referring to the Dark Magic that Malekith is ruler of (the villain of the movie)

I'm personally pretty excited for it as a Thor fan since my main problem with the first Thor was it didn't explore Asgard/the nine realms enough.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See, I didn't like them. Then again, I'm big into cinema and am pretty critical of it.

Most if not all of the Marvel movies were what I call "Eye Candy" movies. Great special effects, great action, decent-great script. What I can appreciate about them is that they don't try to be something they're not; they are special effect popcorn movies. And in that genre, they are good movies.

But does that really make them good movies in the overall scheme of cinema? I don't think so. When compared to movies such as There Will Be Blood or No Country For Old Men, these movies don't stand a chance. And, since those movies are the ones I prefer, they are the standard I compare all others to. They tend to lack a significant plot.

The only superhero movie that ever came close to that standard was The Dark Knight, and even it didn't reach.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being overcritical of them and should appreciate them for what they are.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#14 god_spawn  Moderator
nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Good, not great.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Daredevil rocks

BLASPHEMER!

I liked them all except Thor.

And Iron Man 2

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't too crazy about any of them. They just seemed like really long Avengers trailers with little substance.

Avatar image for turel_hash_ak_gik
turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No, I don't think they were lame.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the phase one movies plus the show. I don't see why Cap. America's movie barely gets talked about

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were good for what they were but also amazingly over-hyped. Thor was meh, Captain America was meh, The Incredible Hulk was good, Iron-Man 2 was meh, and Iron-Man 3 was a POS.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_stegman  Moderator

Not lame, but the only one that actually impressed me was Iron Man.

Emp3rorD4v1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only good ones were the iron man movies and the incredible hulk

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See, I didn't like them. Then again, I'm big into cinema and am pretty critical of it.

Most if not all of the Marvel movies were what I call "Eye Candy" movies. Great special effects, great action, decent-great script. What I can appreciate about them is that they don't try to be something they're not; they are special effect popcorn movies. And in that genre, they are good movies.

But does that really make them good movies in the overall scheme of cinema? I don't think so. When compared to movies such as There Will Be Blood or No Country For Old Men, these movies don't stand a chance. And, since those movies are the ones I prefer, they are the standard I compare all others to. They tend to lack a significant plot.

The only superhero movie that ever came close to that standard was The Dark Knight, and even it didn't reach.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being overcritical of them and should appreciate them for what they are.

you're definitely being overly critical of them...they aren't supposed to be like No Country For Old Men or There Will Be Blood....all they were trying to do was do an accurate translation of the comic book characters to film and they succeeded....they aren't supposed to be winning Oscars for Best Film...just like the comics with their names on them aren't trying to be Shakespearean novels

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

Iron Man, Captain America and Thor were all good.

Hulk, Iron Man 2 and 3 were all lame.

So half of them are lame.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dabee

Nope. They were all great so far. All the upcomings look like they're going to be equally great. (Very much so)

EDIT: Obviously I mean in my opinion.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Certainly not. Id like to see some new Marvel movies come out that aren't tied to Avengers. A new Punisher film would be nice to see. And eventually maybe a Ghost Rider one that does the character some justice. He really deserves a break.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheThe

Most of them are bad movies.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CA, Thor, Hulk, Agents of SHIELD (I'm counting that, yes)... They only became interesting to in The Avengers. Iron Man was the only worthwile standalone of the bunch.

Personally, I'm not even looking forward to T:TDW. It looks boring and cliche ("We have to stop the Darkness!!" Really? "The Darkness"? Can someone verify if that is comic canon for me, or something they made up?)

I agree, honestly I didn't like them alone and I think Marvel films are overrated a tad. Avengers was good but not "like the best movie evaaa" like some people make it out to be, I enjoyed MOS far more. I mean just think prior to Avengers, Dark Knight owned that comic book movie record(one man) yet it took a whole team of Marvel characters to break it lol. What's that tell you?

Sure, Avengers wasn't bad but stand alone Marvel movies that were utterly horrible or dull:

-Hulk(2003) His father turned into a lightning monster, and the Hulk looked more cartoony then The PowerPuff girls.

-Hulk(07) was better then the first Hulk but average at best

-Daredevil(it's DD need I say more?)

-Electra(dumb)

-Ghost Rider 2(just horribly disappointing)

-Thor...overrated and dull to me.

-Iron Man 3, overrated...

-Fanstastic Four, has any version of them been good? lol

-Wolverine:Origins, Jackman is great but lord that movie sucked...Just watching what they did to Deadpool, and making Sabretooth his brother? really?

-The Punisher, dull

-X-Men 3(liked the story but the fact that they killed off Professor X, Jean and Cyclops killed it for me)

-Amazing Spider-Man, while it was entertaining I didn't enjoy it as much as the original with Tobey...

-Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is cheesy to me...it's not going to be as good as Arrow or Smallville honestly. I see it lasting a few seasons at most.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

People say Thor and Captain America were boring but i really like both and have watched them numerous times.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I haven't, not since the first iron man. They've all felt extremely shallow and unsatisfying. I'm not a big critic of movies but these are characters I've been interested in and seen for years, the movies just didn't do them justice

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Phase One films had their ups and downs. Cap had some really nice build up, but dragged in the center with BOOM explosions, Thor had a good amount of cheese (which I've seen two opions from friends that liked it and hated it), IM was good, Inc Hulk wasn't bad, IM2 was an Avenger's commerical etc.

Although even though I thought I hated IM2 it goes the way of all Jr's stuff - its super rewatchable and its faults are less annoying. Minority here wheb I say IM3 was one of Marvels best films to date.

Most of them have shallow villains (IM Ob, IM2 Whiplash, Red Skull(albeit it was more so the nature of the film style) Abom - with the main stand out being Hiddleston - but most villains in Super Hero films leave something to be desired.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wolverine008

@vaeternus:

You do know we are only talking about Marvel Cinematic movies here right? And your comment about Marvel needing a group to beat one man was just absolutely asinine.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vaeternus

@wolverine08 said:

@vaeternus:

You do know we are only talking about Marvel Cinematic movies here right? And your comment about Marvel needing a group to beat one man was just absolutely asinine.

Not asinine, it's fact...look it up. Prior to that, Dark Knight was the record holder for opening launch for any comic book movie...and prior to DK it was Spiderman before DK broke it. Records happen all the time guy. I'm sure JL once it's out will also break records or something.

And you do know the title says "stand alone" marvel movies, thus why I listed stand alone marvel movies...sounds to me you just didn't like my post, can't help you there. We all have an opinion that's mine.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor has a chance of being the best out of marvel. I liked the first n I'm gonna love the 2Nd one also hulk (with out ruffalo) was good

ace20xd6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ace20xd6

They're good as mindless popcorn action movies, Hulk and Iron Man were the only ones I really liked.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: Most of the films you listed are based on Marvel properties, but were produced by companies like Fox, Sony, etc so they are technically not Marvel movies.

And who cares how many people were in the Marvel movie that outgrossed the Dark Knight? It's an inconsequential point, and I think even you know that :D

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Are you saying you didnt enjoy the Captain America and Incredible Hulk movies?

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08:

Ok, but movie studio's are equally irrelevant, I'm not talking about which movie companies having rights or properties not to or to make movies, point is they're all Marvel movies based on Marvel characters and the Marvel Universe.I mean, Nolan did a far better job then Schumacher obviously. Has nothing to do with the studio, but the directors and writers. Marvel gave Fox, Sony etc the rights to produce those Marvel movies so they are Marvel movies just done by a third party studio.

You're right, not everyone cares about numbers however sites like this do(movie updates if a movie it received well, did well at box office etc) and movie guys at the box office as well as everyone involved in making movies care. I suppose money made is irrelevant with certain points, but you have to realize it is a business as well. So say if a movie does horribly at the movies, as well as bad ratings chances are you won't see a sequel lol.

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Punisher film with Tom Jane. Hell, I'll defend it to the day I die. I'm not quite sure why I like it, I just do. it's just got this sorta 70's/80's Clint Eastwood action film type vibe to it, which I think works perfectly for the Punisher.

After seeing the original "Spider-Man" films again, they're all kinda terrible.Used to really like them when I was a kid. I mean, while they got a lot right about the mythology, they certainly got a lot wrong as well. And some of the performances are pretty friggin' bad. (Really surprised Maguire never recieved a Razzy nomination for any of them)

I've had no problems with any of the Marvel Studios films. I think they're all pretty good on their own, but Avengers is the best. I do actually like Edward Norton's Hulk film a lot. The "Iron Man" films are good, but the first one is unbeatable. I feel like 2 and 3 were just remakes of the first one, only "bigger" and "more action".

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vaeternus

@cascadeking09: I didn't see Captain America, is it any good? Some people say it's boring, others say it's pretty cool.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I'm gonna try and list all Marvel movies and how I feel about them (including Sony and Fox)

Movies I loved:

-The Avengers

-Iron Man

-Blade (I and II)

-The Amazing Spider-Man

-X2

Movies I liked:

-X-Men

-Spider-Man (I and II)

-Daredevil

-Captain America

-Kick Ass (I and II)

-The Punisher (Thomas Jane version)

Movies I disliked:

-X-Men 3

-The Wolverine

-The Incredible Hulk

-Hulk

-Thor

Iron Man 2

-Blade Trinity

Movies I hated:

-Spider-Man 3

-Fantastic Four (I and II)

-X-Men Origins

-Iron Man 3

-Elektra

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No, I like most of them

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

Daredevil rocks

BLASPHEMER!

I liked them all except Thor.

And Iron Man 2

What cheesestabber said in addition to IM3. Although I hope T:TDW does well.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cascadeking09: I didn't see Captain America, is it any good? Some people say it's boring, others say it's pretty cool.

its the best marvel movie IMO, but I bet winter soldier will change that

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Where's First Class? That was the best of the x-men films imo.

nobodyisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the stand alone Marvel movies are too.... something, I can't really put my finger on it, but they are missing something. except for Spider-man, that was good.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not all of them.