This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kevd4wg (12275 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen a lot of um... interesting statements on CV, especially regarding women(like MCU Black Widow beating anyone isn't a feat since she's a Thot and any real man would beat her) and I've seen accusations of racism/sexism on the vine a few times, so I'm curious do people here think that many users on CV, or how many users, or to what degree racist/sexist prejudices/double standards exist on the vine

#2 Posted by The_Magister (13244 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely. Some of them aren't even subtle about it, either.

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#3 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4135 posts) - - Show Bio

#4 Posted by ANTHP2000 (24980 posts) - - Show Bio

It's more low key than that, but sexists, homophobics and racists all exist on CV. And as much as they deny it, about 50% of the hate regarding the incoming CM has to do with salt about women getting their due. In fact, you can see it regarding all LA material - litteraly. Then there's the salt about Black Panther in the Oscars and the specific people actually, ACTUALLY, comparing racism towards black people to racism towards white people, and having the balls to call out people on bring hypocrites based on it.

I choose to not take too many opinions in here seriously. There's only a few people I trust that aren't biased against the people different than them.

#5 Posted by MainJP (5778 posts) - - Show Bio
@kevd4wg said:

(like MCU Black Widow beating anyone isn't a feat since she's a Thot and any real man would beat her)

Wow, that's...not even funny.

#6 Posted by Amcu (15908 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a problem with racist and sexist people online in general. Just look at YouTube comment sections.

#7 Posted by ANTHP2000 (24980 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

There's a problem with racist and sexist people online in general. Just look at YouTube comment sections.

Shhhh.... no one should do that for no reason, ever.

#8 Posted by Amcu (15908 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

Its sad too, because a decent bit of the YouTube commenters are okay, but the terrible ones just make you not want to even look sometimes.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
#9 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (9968 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

#10 Posted by ANTHP2000 (24980 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:
@anthp2000 said:
@amcu said:

Its sad too, because a decent bit of the YouTube commenters are okay, but the terrible ones just make you not want to even look sometimes.

yeah...

Also, did you know women can't act or sing and that if they write something it's always gonna about feminism?

#11 Posted by KrleAvenger (26181 posts) - - Show Bio

Not that I know of, but I've seen a lot of complaints about them.

#12 Posted by PurplePerson (844 posts) - - Show Bio

Some? Yes.

Many? I don't know. Some people may have a different perspective on these matters that I don't agree with but that doesn't necessarily make them racist/sexist/whatever.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#13 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6421 posts) - - Show Bio

#14 Posted by Mister_Surreal (8063 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, definitely.

#15 Posted by Amcu (15908 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:
@anthp2000 said:
@amcu said:

yeah...

Also, did you know women can't act or sing and that if they write something it's always gonna about feminism?

Oh of course. And according to a lot of the YouTube community they're all conniving and useless too.

YouTube makes me appreciate CV more TBH. Its bad here but it could be far worse.

#16 Posted by Supermanthor (13821 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Magian (150947 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course there are going to be people like this here. It would be unrealistic to think otherwise.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#18 Posted by plotweapon16255 (7366 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't see anything like that as far as I could remember.

#19 Edited by Mister_Surreal (8063 posts) - - Show Bio

@thebestofthebest: Seriously? There are ignorant/discriminative people on every website, including comic vine whether we choose to accept it or not.

#20 Posted by Supermanthor (13821 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Edited by dshipp17 (5382 posts) - - Show Bio

Not necessarily; simply not conforming to political corrections and espousing views that you disagree with about these topics doesn't make them actual whatever is receiving the political correctness of the day-phobic/ism; so many people are accustomed to misusing these terms now days. I think that this is something that comes with age and experience to really understand; I'm old enough to remember way back to the late 80s as an 11 year old or so, where you had a period that was actually very hostile to say something like homosexuality, as well as others who are being honest and genuine about this topic with (e.g. and actually, racism is a bit more blatant in something like employment) now than it was back then, mostly thanks to a 1993 Supreme Court decision); and trust me, it involved way/far by a long mile more then making comments about disagreeing with same sex marriage or refusing to sell a cake to someone; instead, it's/things are shifting to the extreme other end where now free speech and freedom of expression is starting to be stifled, which is also not healthy for a so called democracy.

#22 Edited by ANTHP2000 (24980 posts) - - Show Bio

@dshipp17: But just because things are better now, doesn't mean racism doesn't exist, for instance. And this goes for all aspects of life.

#23 Posted by Mister_Surreal (8063 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by dshipp17 (5382 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000 said:

@dshipp17: But just because things are better now, doesn't mean racism doesn't exist, for instance. And this goes to all aspects of life.

I totally agree in the case of racism, as in my last post, I pointed out that employment discrimination is actually more blatant now than it was in the 80s, thanks to a 1993 Supreme Court decision. The issue of racism should be envisioned as something like a bell curve, where the peak took place with the enactment of Title VII in the United States; it's just been legalized or redefined such that it's more formal and acceptable now, as long as you don't cross a threshold that is somewhat high for big business and big government.

#25 Edited by Xwraith (36531 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099 said:
@the_magister said:

But it wasn't always like this.

What the hell happened?

#26 Posted by Kirkseven (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

I think everyone has ''racist'' or ''sexist'' in general, but some people are more open about their ideas than others. The people on CV shouldn't really be any different (why would they) if you think about it.

#27 Posted by Lunacyde (28014 posts) - - Show Bio

I think everyone has certain tendencies regarding bigotry or bias. I think some do a better job of recognizing and altering their behavior.

#28 Posted by The_Magister (13244 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:
@blackspidey2099 said:
@the_magister said:

What the hell happened?

It's a long tale, consisting of trials and tribulations. Tragedy and sorrow. Fear and ignorance. Anger and greed. Jealousy and revenge. Wank and lowball.

Basically, people probably got banned from 4chan and came here instead.

#29 Posted by Cable_Extreme (16783 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven’t met any.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#30 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6421 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:
@blackspidey2099 said:
@the_magister said:

What the hell happened?

It's a long tale, consisting of trials and tribulations. Tragedy and sorrow. Fear and ignorance. Anger and greed. Jealousy and revenge. Wank and lowball.

Basically, people probably got banned from 4chan and came here instead.

I'm not sure people can be banned from 4chan. Isn't it like all anonymous and shit?

#31 Edited by mrmonster (14223 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I definitely think there are prejudiced trolls on CV, but not more so than any other website. If you want to really see some hate, go to Yahoo Answers, I promise you'll have the opposite of a good time.

#32 Posted by Iron_Tiger (156 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen a few, but nowhere near a lot.

#33 Posted by Straight-Fire (27209 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously. I mean they're humans after all.

#34 Posted by SaltySultan (261 posts) - - Show Bio

From my short time here I've seen a lot of pretty concerning opinions on here, didn't seem like they were joking either.

#35 Posted by Richubs (3412 posts) - - Show Bio

This 'gon be a shit storm bois

#36 Posted by Xwraith (36531 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure people can be banned from 4chan. Isn't it like all anonymous and shit?

They can ban IPs.

#37 Edited by Alavanka (2191 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't really encountered any outright racist people on comic vine. Trolls sure.

As far as sexism goes, all I remember was this "How many average women would it take to beat an average men" thread. It was an 180lbs man versus 135lbs women. Some people said some ridiculous figures, like that it would take 10+. And some people got butthurt and started whining about tagging when I said that groin kicking isn't going to compensate for 5 weight-classes, and that the man has an overwhelming advantage in single combat. So yeah, there are sexists here on comic vine. There's also a good deal of white knights.

#38 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (3695 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah. Even saw this one guy say Delta giving Naruto a run for his money like this is bad because she's a woman. That wasn't on the vine but it honestly annoys me that people still have the mindset people are below other because of irrelevant details like skin color or gender. Yeah females are biologically weaker than men in every physical aspect, but that doesn't mean they're absolutely hopeless to be stronger than some or even most of us men.

Theres plenty of body building women out there who would put most the men on this website on their asses.

#39 Posted by BumpyBoo (14527 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I mean we've always had users who make edgier jokes or say controversial things. But by and large I don't think your average user is genuinely bigoted. In my experience anyway. Not at all.

#40 Posted by ourmanuel (9562 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:

I've seen a lot of um... interesting statements on CV, especially regarding women(like MCU Black Widow beating anyone isn't a feat since she's a Thot and any real man would beat her) and I've seen accusations of racism/sexism on the vine a few times, so I'm curious do people here think that many users on CV, or how many users, or to what degree racist/sexist prejudices/double standards exist on the vine

No Caption Provided

#41 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5716 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes every single one Viner is a mouth frothing anti someone

#42 Posted by AbstractRaze (2379 posts) - - Show Bio

There are racist people from all races, there are even extremely racist black people against their own race, such as was the case with the Americo-Liberians which many years after the abolishment of slavery returned to Liberia and declared themselves as the master race/Herrenrasse and enslaved their own people.

I marked on minute 17:2 so that you can understand it better what happened.

Loading Video...

#43 Edited by ourmanuel (9562 posts) - - Show Bio

OT:

No, I don’t really think it’s people being racist or sexist(the two big ones) for most of what I’ve seen.

I think it has more to do with people being “anti-sjw“ if that makes any sense.

Example of “sexism”: Captain marvel shows up out of the blue and is apparently going to be the TOAA of the MCU. And then people hate on it.

Example of “racism”: Black Panther gets nominated for and wins a bunch of awards.

Both of these things could be seen as either just random coincidences/results of hard work and story, or they could be seen as a move by film companies trying to force Political correctness down our throats.

So if someone then goes the “it’s SJW” route, they could easily be labeled as a bigot regardless of whether or not they’re really one deep down.

Though I have to say, ive seen some outright bigoted posts like on the last page of the “how many average females to beat an average male” and the “would you date shuri” threads.

#44 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5716 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hate @ourmanuel: because he is Chinese-Russian.

#45 Posted by FaradaySloth (7754 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course, you even see it in this thread.

There’s also nothing wrong and it’s copletely valid to compare racism against blacks to racism against whites

#46 Posted by ourmanuel (9562 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by RikuYamaha (1179 posts) - - Show Bio

not gonna get into this but yeah, they're are some users that are like this. there are users across multiple sites with the same problem(Example, youtube,tumblr,4chan,facebook,livelink etc)

#48 Posted by Legendary_User (232 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone ozzie here?

#49 Posted by FaradaySloth (7754 posts) - - Show Bio

@ourmanuel: should’ve worded it better. Not so much as bigotry, just ignorance. I referenced in my post as to why comparing racism of blacks to racism of whites isn’t wrong and it’s valid, which I could tell some people here don’t think that for whatever odd reason.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#50 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1091 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven’t encountered any, but there’s gotta be a small minority on every online social website.