Do you think it's weird to go to the movie theater by yourself?

• 54 results
mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think it's weird to go to the movie theater by yourself? (72 votes)

Yes 15%
No 85%
 • 
Superhero24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Sometimes I like going by myself. Family and friends talk too much during the movie.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO: No, it's not. Ever since I got my car, I've done it several times.

I've never understood why so many people think going to the movies inherently has to be a social thing. Why must you be surrounded by friends just to sit in a dark room, starring at a screen?

People are just impossible to understand.

lestrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it's not. In fact, i much prefer going by myself.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#4  Edited By black_wreath

If I needed others to see movies with me I'd have missed many of my favourite viewing experiences.

Me: "Come on, it's Halloween and I have a really good feeling about this Ouija prequel!"

Logically-Thinking Humans: "...."

That was their loss, not mine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, my friends talk to me for me to be trying to watch a movie with them

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8
deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it helps me concentrate on watching the movies a lot easier, and being out with friends and family can be annoying as too much talking is going on.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrmonster

If anything, I think there are lots of pros to going alone.

You can decide when you go, you can decide where you sit, you can decide where you eat, if you eat before or after the movie, etc.

To me, the only con of going alone is that I have no one to discuss the movie with afterwards, which is something I genuinely enjoy. But it's still worth it to go alone.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You can decide when you go, you can decide where you sit, you can decide where you eat, if you eat before or after the movie, etc.

To me, the only con of going alone is that I have no one to discuss the movie with afterwards, which is something I genuinely enjoy. But it's still worth it to go alone.

I can completely relate to that bolded statement, I'll only go to the cinema alone for a rewatch or none of my friends/family dont wanna see the film.

I went to a wonder woman midnight showing and there were like more than 5 people alone in my screening. Just go if you want to, dont give a crap about what any 1 else thinks about you @mrmonster

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chris-Sama

I made a thread asking this same thing, and I still kinda get nervous. Idk it's just if friends from school/work see me out at the movies by myself they might think I'm some loser or something..... ugh curse my insecurities...

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

Depends on the movie if you're a full grown man going to a children's animated movie that's creepy asf same thing goes for lovey dovey romantic movies or going to see a movie like Fifty shades of grey by yourself creeeeepy

If it's rated R, Comedy, or like a superhero action flick it's not imo

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I will go alone if I really need to watch a movie and won't get another chance but generally I'll go with at least one other person

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tj849

@chris-sama said:

I made a thread asking this same thing, and I still kinda get nervous. Idk it's just if friends from school/work see me out at the movies by myself they might think I'm some loser or something..... ugh curse my insecurities...

Try and go to a different cinema, if you cant, go early (like 10) they're not a lot of people at that time

rahiem9123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No its actually peaceful you don't have to deal with the annoying friend asking questions during the movie

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your perception defines your reality.

either you think it's weird, or you don't, it's your choice

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mooty_Pass

No not really I like going to the movies by myself. Why? Because the people I go to see movies with TALK ALL THE DAMN TIME. -_-

So I go by myself :--)

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849 said:
@mrmonster said:

I can completely relate to that bolded statement, I'll only go to the cinema alone for a rewatch or none of my friends/family dont wanna see the film.

I went to a wonder woman midnight showing and there were like more than 5 people alone in my screening. Just go if you want to, dont give a crap about what any 1 else thinks about you @mrmonster

Agreed. I don't see why so many people avoid going to the movies alone. Ever since I got my own car, I've done it quite a few times. And the movie theaters I normally go to aren't normally busy, so if I don't go during peak hours, I can sometimes have the entire theater to myself, which is nice.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@marvelanddcfan24: Wait a minute, that doesn't make any sense in the context of this thread. Are you saying that it's okay for TWO full grown men to go to a children's animated movie? How about a group of full grown men? Or, are you saying that full grown men aren't allowed to enjoy children's animated movies? And, the same would apply to lovey dovey romantic movies. Again, under the context of the thread's topic, two full grown men can go to a lovey dovey romantic movie, and go see a movie like Fifty Shades of Gray. As long as the viewer is not alone enjoying these types of movies, it's acceptable to you. Correct?

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Penguin-Dust: that would be even weirder to be in group with multiple men going to a children's movie if I was in a theatre seeing a movie like Frozen with my kids id think that dude was a freaking creep yeah and it's not weird to see romantic movies alone but I mean what's the point romantic movies are supposed to be seen with a partner imo

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mrmonster

@marvelanddcfan24: @Penguin-Dust: My brother and his friends (all guys, all about 18 years old) went to see the Emoji movie. Nobody confronted them, but I'm sure a lot of the parents in the theater thought that it was weird. Even I thought that it was weird, and I know them.

But yeah, I would have thought it was a lot weirder if they went to see something like Frozen or Tangled.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Penguin-Dust: When the Incredibles 2 comes out I wont give a crap about if im going to the cinema with my friends (we'll be like 17), Incredibles 1 made my childhood so it aint bad

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849: @mrmonster: Im not saying it's weird I'm saying people will think it's weird like parents and what not people don't know others inclinations so people assume things and it's always the worst

And 17 lol that's not even old

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Penguin-Dust

@mrmonster: @marvelanddcfan24: So, then both of you are saying that it's unnatural for an adult male, alone or in a group apparently to go to a children's animated movie? Additionally, Disney animated movies like Frozen or Tangled, perhaps Moana, too are for children and should not be viewed in public by adult males unless accompanied by a child. If I am misinterpreting your response, I apologize, but it seems to be an odd stance to take while posting on a comic book site considering the decades long stigma adult comic book readers have endured.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Nope. Do it from time to time.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849: @mrmonster: Im not saying it's weird I'm saying people will think it's weird like parents and what not people don't know others inclinations so people assume things and it's always the worst

And 17 lol that's not even old

What do you mean people assume things and how is it bad? Theres no point in caring, just go

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

@Penguin-Dust: I think you are thinking way to much into this and yes if you go to a movie such as those alone people will judge you

I'm not seeing the correlation between reading comic books where there is plenty of graphic violence and adultery versus a children's animated movie such as frozen or tangled

Again if I was in a theatre with my children and saw a full grown adult male alone watching it id think to myself "wow what a creep" many people would also I've seen it before

But if it was say the new Avengers movie or JL I wouldn't even notice

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all. I have never gone by myself but I have seen people alone there and didn't think anything of it. It isn't necessarily a group activity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. It's not like watching a movie is a social action that requires numerous people. All you need is yourself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b466be4b5981
deactivated-5b466be4b5981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but it's nice to have company.

T4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By T4

It's the best way to go.

Brainiactic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I adamantly avoid doing it.

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so and I usually do it when I'm watch a movie the first time, but it's more enjoyable to go with friends. Basically watch alone to view the film critically and watch with friends to have fun.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird? No. Lame? Yes.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's to weird. Watching movies isn't a communal experience since you are supposed to be paying attention to the screen the whole time (and may everyone who talks during a movie burn in hell)

Though if you are alone and literally the only person in the theatre, that can be uncomfortable. I used to work at a place close to the mall and sometimes my buddy would pick me up when for work. Sometimes his shift started four hours before mine so I went to the mall to kill time. I saw Shoot 'em Up at 4pm on a weekday and I was the only one in the theatre.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#35  Edited By The Impersonator

I don't think its weird. It's just that you need to watch the whole movie with full concentration. But it's alright to hang out with family and friends for a special occasion.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, I've always had the presence of the lord with me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a794b61068b8
deactivated-5a794b61068b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'm not that into going to theaters, so if I go, it's usually someone else's idea, like a friend who made the suggestion to go. So all of my experiences of going to movies has been part of a group outing. Switching things up and going by myself would just make me feel awkward, so I wouldn't do it. However, if you just want to go by yourself, then there's nothing innately wrong with that. You're only there to watch a movie; nothing requires you to socialize with anyone. Just watch the movie and leave when it's over.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

As other people have stated, the only disadvantage is not being able to discuss it afterwards but that's the point of site like this. I love discussing with you guys. I've never went to the theater alone but I'm planning to do so very soon.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mrmonster

@Penguin-Dust said:

@mrmonster: @marvelanddcfan24: So, then both of you are saying that it's unnatural for an adult male, alone or in a group apparently to go to a children's animated movie? Additionally, Disney animated movies like Frozen or Tangled, perhaps Moana, too are for children and should not be viewed in public by adult males unless accompanied by a child. If I am misinterpreting your response, I apologize, but it seems to be an odd stance to take while posting on a comic book site considering the decades long stigma adult comic book readers have endured.

You misunderstood me. I wasn't trying to say that a grown man cannot enjoy a Disney film, I was just saying that I would have thought it was weird if my brother and his group of friends went to see the movie, because my brother and his friends do not strike me as the kind of people who enjoy Disney movies. I wasn't trying to make a statement about all men, just them.

The reason I even gave the example of them seeing the Emoji movie was to point out that sometimes, even grown men (if we can call 17-18 grown) do see animated movies without kids.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: Okay, I get what you saying now. "All politics are local," as they say meaning we tend to form opinions based on what's closest to us. That's cool although I wonder if your brother went to see the Emoji Movie to laugh at it rather than with it.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Penguin-Dust: Yeah, I do think that's what happened. I asked him why he and his friends went to see it, and he response, and I quote "because it's a meme."

Apparently, while he and his friends went to the beach a couple weeks prior, one of his friends jokingly said that they should all go see the Emoji movie, and they decided to anyway, just because of how big of a meme it was.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nope. It's actually a perfect activity to do by myself. :)

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheWatcherKing

No, I can't understand why you need to see it with others when you're not supposed to talk anyway.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just saw "Baby Driver" alone last week.

Avatar image for deathstrokefan1626
DeathStrokeFan1626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all, never quite understood that since you shouldn't talk or anything during it anyways, and you can always talk to others or w/e after seeing it regardless if you saw it together.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No, i do that 99% of the time.

I really don't understand why people consider you weird if you go to the cinema alone.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#47 SC  Moderator

Yeah its pretty weird, I only go to movies in groups of 12 or more people. Like my crew, squad, gang so on, just so people know to respect and fear me. We have a special handshake and dance moves, and we wear matching clothes too, everyone thinks we are super cool and secure, and I get all the sex from all the hot people, and many celebrities want to be my friend.

Nah its fine, sometimes its actually nice, depends on the movie. A lot of my friends I want to watch movies with live overseas, and I actually prefer watching movies at home more than cinema because I can make better meals and multitask.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

No but its more fun with a friend. Especially one you can stop by the bar with and have sex with after.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 anthp2000  Moderator

You kiddin? I remember back in 2014, I watched Maleficent in the cinema all by myself. No one else in the room. Paradise.