Do you think Disney+/Hulu/ESPN will overtake Netflix as the largest streaming provider?

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

• 
Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If all of them are bundled together and they use their Fox and Marvel rights intelligently, I actually think they could.

Not say Netflix will go out of business or anything, they just might have serious competition now.

Gpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point Netflix should just say gg.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mrmonster

@mutant1230 said:

If all of them are bundled together and they use their Fox and Marvel rights intelligently, I actually think they could.

Not say Netflix will go out of business or anything, they just might have serious competition now.

I might. They're going to lose all their Disney, Fox, Warner Bros, and NBCUniversal content once those companies launch their own streaming services. On top of that, their competition will include massive companies like Amazon and Apple. I think that once the streaming war really heats up in the next few years, Netflix could go the way of Blockbuster. I certainly wouldn't dismiss it as a possibility.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes it will.

First of all, look at it this way its going to have Star Wars and MCU (The 2 biggest movies franchises right now) all on its platform exclusively, with new content debuting on it as well. Thats a massive draw. Secondly, the Disney classics like Cinderella, Beauty and the beast etc. which people of all ages love going back to. The price its only like 6.99 a month iirc? Which is a lot cheaper than all of the other ones. With the Hulu stuff added and ESPN (Which airs sports iirc), I honestly wouldnt be surprised if it became the most popular.

And I'm switching to it as soon as its available and canceling my Netflix subscription, I'm so pissed off at Netflix for canceling all of these amazing shows and feel bad for all the production workers who became jobless.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: What do you think would happen if Netflix buys Columbia Pictures or Lionsgate? Do you think that could give them enough of an edge to stay in the game? Also, how do you think Viacom and CBS will fair once the streaming wars start to get more intense?

Sorry if I'm throwing a lot of questions at you, I'm just curious to hear your input since you know a lot about this stuff.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe, but these things are fluid. The market leader shifts depending on a variety of factors. Sure, Disney+ is cheap right now, but I remember when Netflix streaming was free to all DVD subscribers. Eventually, it was spun off into its own thing and over the years the price has gone up while the availability of new theatrical movies have shrunk. Disney's success will depend on how much they are willing to spend to make it successful and for how long they're willing to support the service. A new WB/DC/HBO service could just as easily snatch the crown from both of them.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 anthp2000  Moderator

Yep.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrmonster

@mutant1230: First off, no need to apologize. I love talking about this stuff.

If Netflix did acquire a major studio, then I'd say they could, but that's a big if. It would be very costly for them. I'm thinking that it would be much more likely that they'd strike an exclusive streaming deal with one or both of those companies. That would definitely give them legs to compete with their rivals.

As for Viacom, CBS, and any other TV companies, I think that it's either go streaming or go bankrupt. I believe that TV as we know it will be dead in 10 years or less. People (especially young people) are quitting cable for streaming in droves. Ever heard of "Video Killed the Radio Star"? Someday we're gonna be singing "Streaming killed the TV star." Luckily for CBS, they seem to have realized that and have already launched CBS All Access. In short, I believe TV companies that don't make deals with streaming services or launch ones of their will simply go out of business.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not for now

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I can't wait for Disney Plus so I can drop Netflix.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11 dernman  Online

Yes it will.

First of all, look at it this way its going to have Star Wars and MCU (The 2 biggest movies franchises right now) all on its platform exclusively, with new content debuting on it as well. Thats a massive draw. Secondly, the Disney classics like Cinderella, Beauty and the beast etc. which people of all ages love going back to. The price its only like 6.99 a month iirc? Which is a lot cheaper than all of the other ones. With the Hulu stuff added and ESPN (Which airs sports iirc), I honestly wouldnt be surprised if it became the most popular.

And I'm switching to it as soon as its available and canceling my Netflix subscription, I'm so pissed off at Netflix for canceling all of these amazing shows and feel bad for all the production workers who became jobless.

From what I hear Netflix is in massive debt and those shows cost too much for the money it was making.

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not so sure. I know Disney will be only 6.99 per month,but most of that will be stuff that people have already seen on tv a bunch of times or own a dvd/blue ray copy of it.

Netflix on the other hand will be more expensive, but will continue to put original movies and shows. Most of which, imo, are good quality.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: I heard CBS All Access wasn't doing too well, especially with all that drama that's been going on with Star Trek Discovery. They'd need to remerge with Viacom to have a fighting chance with all these juggernauts bringing their A game into the streaming wars. WarnerMedia has AT&T, Universal has Comcast, Disney is... huge, CBS needs something to stay afloat with those guys or they may very well find themselves in the same position has Netflix.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

As a sidenote, I feel like Netflix was over too quick. It feels like yesterday that people used the phrase netflixing and chilling for the first time. And damn it was big while it lasted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc746539ff3b
deactivated-5cc746539ff3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Netflix keeps increasing it's price I dumped it a while ago.

Same old shit higher prices nothing new

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sees to me like this bundle will has something for everyone.

• Kids: Disney and Pixar
  • Teens and Adults: Hulu
  • Geeks of all ages: Marvel and Star Wars
  • Sports fans: ESPN
  • Educational TV fans: National Geographic

That's already a pretty diversified audience.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18 JediXMan  Moderator

Absolutely. I think Netflix is heading toward decline.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we should wait to see what exactly the Disney Streaming service is like. For now all we can say is that its certainly possible, but not guaranteed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a
deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers