Do you still believe in "love at first sight" and "until death do us part"

Blueshoecant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you still believe in "love at first sight" and "until death do us part" (27 votes)

Yes i still do 19%
Maybe 22%
Bullsh*t, i don't buy it 30%
I used to but not anymore 19%
Never will 11%

In the past two years I have lost a lot of things, life has had its ups and downs but why do I feel I am not too enthusiastic in the future with whatever I might get in return because losing a lot of things that we love what we had before makes us broken it's hard to bounce back and will never be worth what we will get in return.

• 
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2 Lunacyde  Moderator

Love at first sight, no.

Til death do us part, yes.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

Love at first sight, no.

Avatar image for deactivated-629d3023b5b49
deactivated-629d3023b5b49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't believe in anything at this point

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't believe in anything at this point

You believe you don't believe in anything at this point.

SonsOfAlchemy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, it’s for suckers.

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@lunacyde said:

Love at first sight, no.

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iknowwhoyouare

There is no love at first sight. It's just lust as first sight. Lust in many ways is more important than love as it really dictates where someone's true priorities are hence the saying "I love you but I'm not in love with you"

"Until death do us apart" is just BS. 60% of all marriages end in divorce. 80% of all other non-marriage relationships end in break up. For the rest of them it's just a matter of fighting off temptation and even then a good majority of them are sexless and sometimes abusive

Avatar image for deactivated-629d3023b5b49
deactivated-629d3023b5b49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-62104bda2b3a2
deactivated-62104bda2b3a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Being part French, I think perhaps it is in my DNA to believe in that happy daydream of love at first sight, but being a jaded twenty-something in the United States, monogamy is almost as rare as both partners retaining their virginity until they get married.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 SC  Moderator

I never really have.

Can two peoples chemistry be incredible in the first few moments of meeting? Can there by an intense physical attraction, that is matched up with compatible personalities and ideals? Sure... but there are billions of people, you won't/can't meet met them all. Chances are, unfortunately, there have been a lot of people that existed, who would have even better chemistry, attraction, and match up with you, but not just you... a version of yourself... because your sum experience as a human isn't static. That isn't really love at first sight though, its sort of more luck, in that your initial attraction is mutual, and everything else seems to line up.

As for death till us part? Thats more of an active attitude and commitment a person, or people can hold. Is it romantic to force someone to stay in a relationship if they are unhappy, sad, depressed? Not really? That being said, how/why does that come to pass? Do you want someone who stays with you out of misplaced sense of loyalty? Or because every day they chose to maintain their vow, because they are hopelessly in love with you? What its the former but they still admire you, think you deserve happiness, think they deserve happiness, that their negative feelings are are just temporary and they work hard to foster and reignite passion? Gets more complicated. Mental and emotional health for just one person can be tricky, let alone the mental and emotional health of two people in a relationship. So I think good communication and empathy/compassion is important, and for some people that will lead to long term relationships till death, and for others, its also okay/healthy if its not till death, even if that can be a scary thought.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lunacyde  Moderator

Some people here are really negative. I feel bad for some of you guys.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 SC  Moderator

@lunacyde said:

Some people here are really negative. I feel bad for some of you guys.

NOT EVERYONE CAN BELIEVE IN RAINBOWS AND SUNSHINE MILKSHAKES LUNACYDE! Heh heh just kidding, I agree to some extent but also that peoples beliefs and views about such things will tend to fluctuate, but also be influenced by negative experiences, which thus shape their attitudes. They just need an opposing positive experience, some time or some perspective, and that can help.

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being part French, I think perhaps it is in my DNA to believe in that happy daydream of love at first sight, but being a jaded twenty-something in the United States, monogamy is almost as rare as both partners retaining their virginity until they get married.

I hope to keep up my end of the bargain of virginity.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lunacyde  Moderator

@sc: This is absolutely true. However, you also influence your own experiences by how you think and interact with others. Many create a cycle of self-fulfilling prophecy because they focus on the negative.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf4439ee1f9
deactivated-61cf4439ee1f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Certainly attraction at first sight, but not love. True love is something fostered over long periods with a lot of emotional investment put in that is paid back by an equally committed spouse.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Second part done

First part is probably related to family traits

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lunacyde  Moderator
Avatar image for deactivated-63338e7709476
deactivated-63338e7709476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love at first sight is a no obviously. Attraction, compatability, and even a level of intimacy can be garnered from a singular interaction. Love, however, cannot.

Until death do us part is a clear yes. The fact that so many couples have enacted it proves as much.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f3a8e120119
deactivated-62f3a8e120119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cringe

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There is no love at first sight. It's just lust as first sight. Lust in many ways is more important than love as it really dictates where someone's true priorities are hence the saying "I love you but I'm not in love with you"

"Until death do us apart" is just BS. 60% of all marriages end in divorce. 80% of all other non-marriage relationships end in break up. For the rest of them it's just a matter of fighting off temptation and even then a good majority of them are sexless and sometimes abusive

This is very true honestly.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cocacolaman  Moderator

Only with your child do I think love at first sight. It should be till death do us part but sadly that’s not the ways things work out anymore

Avatar image for deactivated-63348143d7cff
deactivated-63348143d7cff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Certainly attraction at first sight, but not love. True love is something fostered over long periods with a lot of emotional investment put in that is paid back by an equally committed spouse.

I like this answer.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean you can love the someone’s appearance at first sight, if they check all the boxes of what you may deem physically attractive…but legit love for the person they are I don’t believe can be form for the person until you actually know who they are.

Avatar image for deactivated-62104bda2b3a2
deactivated-62104bda2b3a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@superdarth: Best of luck, and I hope that if you are in a happy, non-toxic monogamous relationship, you will be the exception to my statement and not the rule. More and more, I feel like such relationships are more and more rare.

No Caption Provided