Do you prefer Final Fantasy games to be in a Heroic fantasy setting or an Urban fantasy setting?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Do you prefer Final Fantasy games to be in a heroic fantasy setting or an urban fantasy setting?

New trailer just came out for the new Final Fantasy 16 game coming out ... probably earlier than Nomura and his development teams could release a Final Fantasy game (That's what I at least hope for with Yoshida's involvement) and there comes a tone and setting relatively different from the recently released numbered Final Fantasy games (15 and the first part of the remake of Final Fantasy 7).

Heroic Fantasy by definition is:

"A subgenre of fantasy in which events occur in a world where magic is prevalent and modern technology is non-existent. The setting may be entirely fictitious in nature or based upon earth with some additions. Unlike dark fiction, it provides a setting in which "all men are strong, all women beautiful, all life adventurous, and all problems simple".

Wikipedia, taken from de Camp's Introduction of Swords And Fantasy

It's basically a fantasy world that plays more loosely with it's settings in contrary to Urban Fantasy, on the other hand is defined as :

"a subgenre of fantasy in which the narrative uses supernatural elements in a 19th-century to 21st-century (or equivalent) urban society. It usually takes place in the present day (or the equivalent of the "present day").

Wikipedia, taken from Holmes' "Writing Urban Fantasy" Part 1 and Datlow's Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy."

Which entails concepts in our modern world such as the idea of automobiles and technology found in our present day society coexisting with a number of fantasy concepts.

Basically, in a Final Fantasy game, which sub-genre of fantasy do you prefer the games to take more inspiration from. Final Fantasy 6 is like that weird hybrid child about the prominently shows the concept of "Magic vs Technology" that I show most favoritism towards.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@floopay@zetsu-san (Whatever Verm's current account is)

I'm interested in your thoughts on this?

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I prefer whatever Final Fantasy 9 have.

High Fantasy - Steampunk with goofy looking characters

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the classical medieval settings. The later games are usually touted as the best but I prefer the earlier games

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like the classical medieval settings. The later games are usually touted as the best but I prefer the earlier games

I mean....2/4 was the first introduction of spaceships and large industrial cities and 5 was full blown magitek based. So it's not as if the urban environment is anything super new to the franchise. Even in the latter Tactics, Tactics Advanced, 9 and 10 were a lot more medieval-like than most of 2-8.

Personally, I don't care as much about the setting as the story. Classic 7 (and Crisis Core) is my favorite all around. But 5, 9 & Tactics would be close seconds. And 2, 8, and 10 are also great stories; but there were aspects of them that weren't great (all of the sidequests in 10 were awful, everything about 8's combat was great except the actual combat itself sucked, 2 was just flat in terms of gameplay even at the time).

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Zetsu-San

Neither. A degree of anachronistic technology has always been a staple of the series.

I want my Final Fantasy games to actually emphasize the fantasy. It shouldn’t just feel like a modern setting with fantasy thrown in, nor just a medieval one.

It should have it’s own culture and technology that’s developed in it’s own unique and special way. Like FF9 or 10. Final Fantasy to me should be this bright vibrant world, with a somber and almost melancholic undertone.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floopay said:
@firestarlord73194 said:

I mean....2/4 was the first introduction of spaceships and large industrial cities and 5 was full blown magitek based. So it's not as if the urban environment is anything super new to the franchise. Even in the latter Tactics, Tactics Advanced, 9 and 10 were a lot more medieval-like than most of 2-8.

Personally, I don't care as much about the setting as the story. Classic 7 (and Crisis Core) is my favorite all around. But 5, 9 & Tactics would be close seconds. And 2, 8, and 10 are also great stories; but there were aspects of them that weren't great (all of the sidequests in 10 were awful, everything about 8's combat was great except the actual combat itself sucked, 2 was just flat in terms of gameplay even at the time).

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

I’ve played 2-4. What space ships are you referring to? You mean airships?

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@floopay said:
@firestarlord73194 said:

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

I’ve played 2-4. What space ships are you referring to? You mean airships?

Space base(s)*. In 2/4 you literally get launched to the moon via advanced technology into a high tech base and I think it's hinted the baddy has a spaceship to get there on.

The original 2 also had a lot of advanced tech elements to it with he Emperor; basically hinting that they were using advanced tech to cow the people (a trope repeated in 3 and 4). Most of it powered by the Crystals, a trope that has stayed consistently in the Final Fantasy Franchise (The Crystals in 2-4, Magicite in 6, the Zodiac Stones in Tactics, Materia in 7, Summoning Crystals in 9).

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

9 and 12 had the perfect blend for me

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MAZAHS117

Really I’m either way. I think 7 was the best blend for me. I’m looking forward to the medieval-esq, almost Game of Thrones style, settings of 16 which looks incredible