Posted by Bruxae (18147 posts) 2 years, 11 months ago

Poll: Do you mourn national tragedies? (22 votes)

Yes. 18%
No. 64%
Sometimes/Only in public. 9%
wat 9%

With everything happening in the world I am really curious about this, if say a terror event or a shooting happens - and you don't personally know anyone in the area, do you mourn the lost? Personally I always found it really hard to get emotionally affected by something that is not happening to me or someone I care about directly. But each time something happens I see thousands of others crying and being extremely defensive (again this is about the people who did not know anyone affected directly), and I can't help but wonder if they are putting on a show to be politically correct, or seem empathic in public, or are people actually so sensitive to others suffering?

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
#1 Posted by deactivated-5988def3424a7 (5386 posts) - - Show Bio

I mourn for those losses from within. Their very sad tragedies that affect much more than the victims and their families.

#2 Posted by Straight-Fire (27323 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the OP.

#3 Edited by cyberninja (10669 posts) - - Show Bio

LOLWUT?

I can see the puppet strings, tragedies is nothing more than a tool for politicians to win people's hearts. People live, people die, so meh, and oh, f*ck politicians.

#4 Edited by DaDivineKing (5521 posts) - - Show Bio

My thoughts, "prayers" and such go out to the victims and their loved ones, but I don't actively "mourn" for them. I mean thousands of people die everyday prematurely - I'm pretty sure as I type now someone is being shot, stabbed, or dying other in a number of other ways, but it is what it is, that shit happens.

Not to sound like a nihilistic prick, or anything, but chaos is a natural thing in the Universe, so I'm not per-se phased a lot when it happened from a distance.

#5 Edited by the_stegman (40235 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. I pity their loved ones, but as someone else says, thousands die everyday. Often in violent ways.

#6 Posted by Pipxeroth (9299 posts) - - Show Bio

It saddens me, but I don't really mourn them per se.

#7 Posted by Bruxae (18147 posts) - - Show Bio

For those that vote yes, I have a follow up question: Does it only apply to your home country, or would you feel the same way/less/more sad if it happened in another country? What about a third world country?

#8 Posted by Rouflex (35970 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't appreciate that the ''Sometimes'' is affiliated with ''In Public''.

#9 Edited by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel for them on the inside if that makes sense.

#10 Posted by Bruxae (18147 posts) - - Show Bio

@rouflex: Only in public is the same as sometimes, even though sometimes isn't the same as only in public.

Im sorry you don't approve, but im not going to make dozens of options to cater to every possible variation.

#11 Edited by Rouflex (35970 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: Then you shouldnt ask a question that revolves around a Roulette Opinion my not love. Dearie

#12 Posted by Batman242 (11927 posts) - - Show Bio

My thoughts, "prayers" and such go out to the victims and their loved ones, but I don't actively "mourn" for them. I mean thousands of people die everyday prematurely - I'm pretty sure as I type now someone is being shot, stabbed, or dying other in a number of other ways, but it is what it is, that shit happens.

Not to sound like a nihilistic prick, or anything, but chaos is a natural thing in the Universe, so I'm not per-se phased a lot when it happened from a distance.

I was at this point about a year back, but now I think we should actually work towards reducing this chaos as much as possible. Just because shit happens doesn't mean we should just sit by and let it happen. If more people saw fit to leave it at that, we'd still have slavery.

#13 Posted by iaconpoint (1491 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand "thoughts going out to the victims" and such. So what, you think about the victims? How much and for how long? And do they care? They are passed on to the next plane after all. I think all that crap is just lip service to make someone feel better about themselves. And celebrities and politicians absolutely use tragedies to garner public support.

So while I hate to see Orlando or the London subway or even 9/11 happen, I personally know no one killed and I'd bet a large amount of money none of them will ever read my comments so I don't see wasting my time saying dishonest tripe like such as, "Thoughts go out to the victims and their families."

#14 Edited by The_Kidd (12165 posts) - - Show Bio

No because I cant think of a "National Tragedy" that occurred in my lifetime.

#15 Posted by Bruxae (18147 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_kidd said:

No because I cant think of a "National Tragedy" that occurred in my lifetime.

Where are you from?

#16 Posted by Xaosxaos (92 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaconpoint:

I basically understand your point. I think it's more a way to show up a good public face for the politicians, state, corporation and overall all collective entity in a diplomatic way, because if you don't, you're pointed publicly as being heartless or maybe even rejoicing about the tragedy.

Now, at a personnel level, I rarely, if never mourn national tragedy. Many of own co-citizen would rejoice if I died, or simply don't care. Most of the others just don't know about what happen in the world and their POV is limited by the scope of the morning or evening news. More than two decades ago, hundred of thousands peoples died in a massacre in Congo, but nobody gave a damn' about it because nobody in the main networks talked about it.

When 11/9 happened, I was as everyone else, shocked, shamed, and quite angry. But when I saw some moment of silence for the victims, I feel that someone was trying to make a fool me. Where the americans live matter most than the africans ? Or was it a question of timing ?

So, no, because if I had to mourn each tragedy, I wouldn't stop mourning at all.

#17 Edited by DaDivineKing (5521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Batman242:

At no point did I say just because shit happens, we shouldn't try to stop it from happening; I agree, preventing tragedies should be a top priority. But when it does happens from afar, I won't shed tears because it's a natural part of the world we live in. Always have, always will.

#18 Posted by The_Kidd (12165 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Cream_God (15519 posts) - - Show Bio

No, its just a excuse to vertue signal and beg for attention

#20 Posted by iaconpoint (1491 posts) - - Show Bio

@xaosxaos: My brother, you bring up some good points. Massacres happen all then time in non-American/Western European countries and little is made of it. What makes the lives of the latter less than the lives of the former? TV cameras, celebrities and politicians all wanting face time. Great points!

#21 Posted by Batman242 (11927 posts) - - Show Bio

@Batman242:

At no point did I say just because shit happens, we shouldn't try to stop it from happening; I agree, preventing tragedies should be a top priority. But when it does happens from afar, I won't shed tears because it's a natural part of the world we live in. Always have, always will.

I never said that you said that either. I was simply reflecting on the mentality that I now reject, because it was truly nihilistic.

I don't shed tears either way, but the motives get more and more ridiculous and we have to ask how can we prevent such stupid and mentalities from spreading.

#23 Posted by Drumgun (151 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'm amercian, so yeah I do.

#24 Posted by DaDivineKing (5521 posts) - - Show Bio

@deronn_solo said:

@Batman242:

I never said that you said that either. I was simply reflecting on the mentality that I now reject, because it was truly nihilistic.

I don't shed tears either way, but the motives get more and more ridiculous and we have to ask how can we prevent such stupid and mentalities from spreading.

Ah, I misread your post/intention - sorry about that. But yeah, I totally agree with the underlined.

#25 Posted by comicace3 (12434 posts) - - Show Bio

I do feel some sort of sorrow when something tragic happens not just in the US but in other countries as well, especially in africa.

#26 Posted by Batman242 (11927 posts) - - Show Bio

@deronn_solo: That's fine. As long as we can agree true nihilism doesn't help.

#27 Posted by The_Surgeon (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Deaths sadden me, yes.

But you can't let it bog you down. Spend too much time mourning those already passed, and you might not see those you could still save.