Do you find it ridiculous when some Christian were saved life by doctor, they are not thank the doctor but their god?

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you find it ridiculous when some Christian were saved life by doctor, they are not thank the doctor but their god? (50 votes)

Hell yes. 40%
Heaven no. 38%
Other thoughts. 14%
Result. 8%
 • 
Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god > doctor by statements.

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CCThor
Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccthor: lets say god doesnt exist.

who can tell me, not thanking the doctor is ridiculous?

I mean who can tell me if its right or wrong?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 94

I'd thank both

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think you understand how this religion thing works, and I'm not really interested to educate you about it. Also, kinda funny that you're only targeting Christians. Why not, let's say... Muslims?

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan said:

I don't think you understand how this religion thing works, and I'm not really interested to educate you about it. Also, kinda funny that you're only targeting Christians. Why not, let's say... Muslims?

They are about the same.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccthor: And it's about the same in probably every religion.

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan:

So you are saying you are the one that will thank god instead the one actually saved your life?

joviolma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joviolma

I saved my sister's life one day, it didn't bothered me she thanked God, I usually thank God during those occasions cause I'm grateful he allowed such a person to exist and posterior to that, this person helped me or saved me in a occasion, obviously I will thank God, but that doesn't mean the person who saved me isn't worthy me respect, in fact, he will have my gratitude and thanks for life and obviously, I will give him my thanks just like I gave to the doctors who saved my life when I was younger.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By _Logos_

If people's entire existence is saved and they thank a being who they believe is controlling their entire world, then I think that is pretty acceptable.

I don't know why you would think otherwise unless it's because you want to bring your own opinions into the fold and judge their actions from only your perspective...

If he/she isn't grateful at all to the doctors who saved his/her life and only to god, then I think that is pretty ridiculous. The general majority of Christians don't think this way.

RikuYamaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joviolma pretty much summed up the entire subject matter for thanking god and thanking the doc.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccthor said:

@lan_fan:

So you are saying you are the one that will thank god instead the one actually saved your life?

Probably, but I don't know how you made that conclusion based on the post you were replying to.

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CCThor

@_logos_ said:

If people's entire existence is saved and they thank a being who they believe is controlling their entire world, then I think that is pretty acceptable.

I don't know why you would think otherwise unless it's because you want to bring your own opinions into the fold and judge their actions from only your perspective...

If he/she isn't grateful at all to the doctors who saved his/her life and only to god, then I think that is pretty ridiculous. The general majority of Christians don't think this way.

So you admit there's might have some Christians think this way.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Zetsu-San

Thanking God is narcissistic and implies that you’re special and were personally saved/protected while millions of others were not.

Still, the saying isn’t quite as obnoxious as “they’re in a better place”.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@ccthor said:

So you admit there's might have some Christians think this way.

There might be but I don't know any personally. My assumption is that there are some as with any other demographic.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanking God is narcissistic and implies that you’re special and were personally saved/protected while millions of others were not.

Well... :/

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Think most people thank both like

Djibbo__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Djibbo__

I mean...god ain’t real, but you do you

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dshipp17

@zetsu-san said:

Still, the saying isn’t quite as obnoxious as “they’re in a better place”.

Actually, it's narcissistic to think otherwise, because it is selfish and self-centered. Part of being Christian involves many personal experiences with God, which sometimes involves the working of miracles for His Christian flock. Thus, since you haven't had this personal experience because you're not Christian, because you're rejecting Jesus as your Lord and Savior, points to you as the source.

While millions aren't saved, millions are saved, because being Christian makes us special in the eyes of God who works miracles.

Christians thank God in the case at hand, because God organized the situation where the Christian could be saved by the doctor, in many cases; many things are beyond medical science.

Case and point, when I was between 5 and 7 years old, I came very close to dying of a severe cut to my left knee, a cut that is still represented by a scar to this day; God came into the picture, due to the timing of the events; when I was discovered injured, the doctor said that it would be up to me to survive, but he did what he could by giving staples and stitches to help my survival prospects; the doctor can get some credit for saving my life, as, obviously, he did with his actions; but, God organizing events so that I was found injured in time was also critical, if not more critical to my survival. I thank God, as a Christian, as this was one of my first personal experiences with God working on my behalf; but, I've had many more ever since, which were more vital in supporting my belief and faith in God, as, then, I was around 5 years old; but, the experiences became much more powerful and persuasive, when I was looking for God and He came through for me at 24 years old; at that point, having just finished school/university in science, I understood my personal experiences with God much better.

Thus, it's really about being a Christian and being chosen by God for personal experiences, while many others aren't so chosen, usually, because they're not Christian. There's nothing ridiculous, at all, just being selfish.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: You realize that there's 0 correlation between religion and survival of near-death experiences, right?

CocaColaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends. If they genuinely say "That doctor had nothing to do with it, it was all God," that's factually wrong. But if they were just thanking God in the same way any normal guy would be like "Oh, thank God I made it through that!" or in a prayer, and they still thanked the doctor, I wouldn't mind it at all.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: You realize that there's 0 correlation between religion and survival of near-death experiences, right?

I'm not sure what you mean; this is a very subjective statement; for one, how are you defining correlation relative to a context? I know of many cases, perhaps all cases, involving near death experiences where people came back describing a visit to either Heaven, but, usually Hell, and became reformed, as a result of that nightmarish experience. The only way you could not be aware is that you're being deliberately obtuse to it, as, being familiar with near death experiences, you should be aware of their experiences; sometimes, people experience something other, such as approaching a light, which the media editors tend to favor, but, in listening to peoples' experiences, they usually describe vising Heaven or Hell;, where the media version is more the exception than the rule; thus, the correlation is the highest with Christianity; to my near death experience had a positive effect for me, as, now, my dreams are usually peaceful. Website underwent a maintenance state, apparently, seconds after I'd edited my last post. Also, when describing the word religion, it's way more accurate and precise to describe the specific religion you're referring to, as you should be calling it Christianity, especially as to the tile of the post.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eaa273f735bc
deactivated-5eaa273f735bc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the doctor him/herself says that there’s no hope for the patient, and that they’ll die (which they can and will do in some situations) but the patient still lives, I think from there it would make the most sense to prioritize thanking God over thanking the doctor, especially if the patient was praying and/or had others praying for them. Now don’t get me wrong, you should obviously still thank the doctor as well, since it’s not like they didn’t try to help, but even their best isn’t enough sometimes.

ninetoadclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will usually never, ever talk religion but I will say this.

If we are to praise god and the things he has done for us, and thank him, then he also takes just as much blame for the outright horrible things too.

If it is ok for you to say, “thank you god for saving my life when it was in danger” it is just as ok for someone to say, “screw you god for giving my loved one a terminal disease or a life altering disorder, or the like”

The fact that god gets all the credit for anything good and you should only bless him for all he does for you but for anything bad, nope not his will, sorry.

Either god controls everything and gets the blessings and the blame because he chose what would happen, or he chooses nothing and your life is completely independent, in which case he does not deserve our praise.

I am not an atheist, not an agnostic, I am not sure what I am, I absolutely believe their is a higher power and a god, but I don’t believe he deserves our praise.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not religious, but according to religious philosophies everything that happens is God's will. Including the right Doctor being able to successfully save someone's life. Of course they'd be thankful to the Doctor, but also to God for putting them in the right situation to use their skills to save a life.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dshipp17

@ninetoadclown: Because Satan and his demons are by default responsible for these negative things; because of Jesus, God doesn't punish on a group level very much anymore; He does on an individual level, if it's a backsliding Christian that needs to learn contrition or something of that nature.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5b16d537c03
deactivated-5e5b16d537c03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God doesn't exist, so thanking him for what a doctor, who does exist, did is a huge middle finger to his profession. And you should be ashamed of yourself.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God thanks me when I allow a doctor to heal me.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So what you're saying is, he's thanking you for delaying the time where he might have to let you stay with him in heaven?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dernman: "That's a very limited view of things just to take a jab. Before you start no I don't consider myself a believer so I'm not going to debate his existence."

Yes, I limited the truth to be short and to the point. Doctors exist, God doesn't; I don't see me taking a jab, nor do I care whether you believe or not.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: What I mean by correlation, is the frequency of which medical miracles happen. You are claiming that medical miracles happen because pf God and God favors Christians.

Aside from such a claim being a text book example of narcissism (Oh, I’m special. I know the true religion and everyone who doesn’t follow it is wrong. God favors me because I worship him and thus saves me, but not others) as well as incredibly dismissive of the spiritual experiences of those who do not follow the Christian God; there’s no evidence for it.

If it were true, then devout Christians would experience medical miracles more often than those of other belief systems. Except, they don’t. Because medical miracles are either based in random chance or whatever higher power may or may not exist doesn’t give a shit about what religion people follow.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find your threads more ridiculous.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dernman

@iron_tiger: Yes, I limited the truth to be short and to the point. Doctors exist, God doesn't; I don't see me taking a jab, nor do I care whether you believe or not.

I deleted my comment because I didn't think the debate was worth it. I mean I don't really care all that much.

Saying it's short to the point doesn't make it any more less inaccurate over it's shallow, narrow minded view of the subject that has other ways, perspectives to look at it.

I'm not trying to be insulting here. I just think you're letting your issues with "god" and people who believe get in your way of seeing the situation for what it is clearly and fully.

------------------------

I don't see why you wouldn't factor in if I was a believe or not. It has an affect on where I might be coming from with what I'm saying and what discussions would be had.

To say you don't care in this context says you choose ignorance to someone and any possible opinion that doesn't fully align with your own. That just reinforces my opinion on limited, shallow narrow mindedness. Correct me if I'm wrong with how you were using "I don't care" in a different context to the one I was in telling you why I told you I wasn't a believer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@iron_tiger: Yes, I limited the truth to be short and to the point. Doctors exist, God doesn't; I don't see me taking a jab, nor do I care whether you believe or not.

1) I deleted my comment because I didn't think the debate was worth it. I mean I don't really care all that much.

2) Saying it's short to the point doesn't make it any more less inaccurate over it's shallow, narrow minded view of the subject that has other ways, perspectives to look at it.

3) I'm not trying to be insulting here. I just think you're letting your issues with "god" and people who believe get in your way of seeing the situation for what it is clearly and fully.

------------------------

4) I don't see why you wouldn't factor in if I was a believe or not. It has an affect on where I might be coming from with what I'm saying and what discussions would be had.

5) To say you don't care in this context says you choose ignorance to someone and any possible opinion that doesn't fully align with your own. That just reinforces my opinion on limited, shallow narrow mindedness.

6) Correct me if I'm wrong with how you were using "I don't care" in a different context to the one I was in telling you why I told you I wasn't a believer.

1) Cool.

2) I'm confused on why my keeping a sentence short and to the point is an issue for you. Stating a fact doesn't automatically make it shallow and/or narrow-minded.

3) No. I clearly see that there is absolutely zero evidence for the existence of "God."

4) Yes, but I don't care where you're coming from, because I don't care whether you believe or not in said "God." Therefore, you and I conversing in textual form means nothing.

5) I didn't ask for anyone's opinion; I stated a fact and was done, and you replied to my post. I am merely responding out of courtesy.

6) Simple. I used "I don't care" exactly how you see it written. There's no "secret meaning" behind it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dernman

@iron_tiger:

2) I'm confused on why my keeping a sentence short and to the point is an issue for you. Stating a fact doesn't automatically make it shallow and/or narrow-minded.

Short and to the point isn't the issue. Only factoring a shallow narrow view is. Such as one could argue that "god not existing" is irrelevant. That's just one. Another is disrespect in this context needs intent. Another assumes that thanking gods discounts the doctors efforts also. Another one could be figure of speech.

Easy clear and legit alternatives off the top of my head, ignored which is why I assumed either a jab or narrow minded because of issues with the subject of god..

3) No. I clearly see that there is absolutely zero evidence for the existence of "God."

I'm not sure what this is a reply too but are you so arrogant that you think you can see every possible evidence that could be? Or the fact that he might not want there to be. Before you say well "Christians say" I say who says they're right? Irrelevant. I don't want a discussion about if he is real. That's not the position I'm taking.

4) Yes, but I don't care where you're coming from, because I don't care whether you believe or not in said "God." Therefore, you and I conversing in textual form means nothing.

So you're admitting to purposeful ignorance and narrow mindedness on a subject and where I'm coming from. Making your opinion uninformed and not worth much.

5) I didn't ask for anyone's opinion; I stated a fact and was done, and you replied to my post. I am merely responding out of courtesy.

You stated what you think is fact on a forum that leaves you open to a reply. If that isn't asking enough, you then chose to retrieve my post after being deleted, to then respond too. These are not the actions of someone "not asking", not trying to jab, or clear/cool on the subject. Legit question. I'm not pulling a butter when he's trying to riles someone up. You seem more upset than you should be. Well not much different that you always seem when the subject of god comes up.

6) Simple. I used "I don't care" exactly how you see it written. There's no "secret meaning" behind it

Didn't say it was a secret but what a don't care actually means when used against the context of what you replied too. I even explained why it does matter and should be cared about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny how many who claim atheism as a masquerade for their own belief. Not saying you claimed to be an atheist as you clearly have a belief that god doesn't exist and not just lack of belief in a god.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Arthur_Morgan

fact is , if nothing higher exist , i can go and kill ppl and literaly no1 can factualy tell that its wrong.

basicly without god , killing being wrong is just your opinion and no1 got the right to force his opinion on me.

thats a fact.

i accept atheism if you remove all rules.

becouse i sure wont accept laws by some random guy i will never see , hear in my entire life.

Thats actualy funny , kinda like a god who apparently doesnt exist only that its just a human like you who would die if you dont give him food and water.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@iron_tiger:

1) Short and to the point isn't the issue. Only factoring a shallow narrow view is.

2) Such as one could argue that "god not existing" is irrelevant. That's just one. Another is disrespect in this context needs intent.

3) Another assumes that thanking gods discounts the doctors efforts also. Another one could be figure of speech.

4) I'm not sure what this is a reply too but are you so arrogant that you think you can see every possible evidence that could be? Or the fact that he might not want there to be. Before you say well "Christians say" I say who says they're right? Irrelevant. I don't want a discussion about if he is real. That's not the position I'm taking.

5) So you're admitting to purposeful ignorance and narrow mindedness on a subject and where I'm coming from. Making your opinion uninformed and not worth much.

6) You stated what you think is fact on a forum that leaves you open to a reply. If that isn't asking enough you then chose to retrieve my post after being deleted to respond too. These are not the actions of someone not asking or feel the need to jab.

6) Simple. I used "I don't care" exactly how you see it written. There's no "secret meaning" behind it

7) Didn't say it was a secret but what a don't care actually means when used in context against what I said.

8) Funny how many who claim atheism as a masquerade for their own belief. Not saying you claimed to be an atheist as you clearly have a belief that god doesn't exist and not just lack of belief in a god.

1) You're only calling it "shallow and narrow-minded" because you don't agree with it. There's no other reason.

2) "God" is part of the topic, making "doesn't exist" and "does exist" relevant.

3) Cool.

4) It's a response to the following quote...

I'm not trying to be insulting here. I just think you're letting your issues with "god" and people who believe get in your way of seeing the situation for what it is clearly and fully.

4 cont.) The only issue I have with "God" is the lack of evidence for his existence. That doesn't make me arrogant. I don't care if you believe in "God" or not.

5) No. Again, I'm saying that I don't care, like I have stated before. It's a fact, not an opinion.

6) No. I stated what I know is a fact, based on the lack of any evidence for "God's" existence. I retrieved your deleted post because it was deleted and I wanted to respond to you; I don't get how me retrieving said post means that I'm taking a jab at something. I'm not upset.

7) Yes, "I don't care" was used as and for exactly how you see it written.

8) Correct, I've not claimed to be Atheist. And I undoubtedly know that "God" is a fictional character in a 2,000+-year old book of fairy tales.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fact is , if nothing higher exist , i can go and kill ppl and literaly no1 can factualy tell that its wrong.

basicly without god , killing being wrong is just your opinion and no1 got the right to force his opinion on me.

thats a fact.

This is actually true from both an believer and non believer point of view. Fact is unless you believe god sets the rules then that only leaves society/people majority what is good/bad. What sets it other than those two things? Nothing really. We all know people/society is responsible for some pretty bad shit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Actually, nevermind. I don't need to edit/add anything. You're good to go.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: in a world without god we are controlled by random humans opinion.

i dont want a law be forced on me becouse some ppl think its good/bad especially from human who are no better than me.

basicly telling me to stop believe in a god but than act as a god on me.

whats worse is, god atleast gives you your whole life time to feel sorry and better yourself before punishing you , these ppl will throw you in a cell for the pettiest crimes and force their opinion on you.

so yh, im sorry that i rather believe in an imaginary god than a random human playing god.

this is all facts.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@iron_tiger:

1) Short and to the point isn't the issue. Only factoring a shallow narrow view is.

2) Such as one could argue that "god not existing" is irrelevant. That's just one. Another is disrespect in this context needs intent.

3) Another assumes that thanking gods discounts the doctors efforts also. Another one could be figure of speech.

4) I'm not sure what this is a reply too but are you so arrogant that you think you can see every possible evidence that could be? Or the fact that he might not want there to be. Before you say well "Christians say" I say who says they're right? Irrelevant. I don't want a discussion about if he is real. That's not the position I'm taking.

5) So you're admitting to purposeful ignorance and narrow mindedness on a subject and where I'm coming from. Making your opinion uninformed and not worth much.

6) You stated what you think is fact on a forum that leaves you open to a reply. If that isn't asking enough you then chose to retrieve my post after being deleted to respond too. These are not the actions of someone not asking or feel the need to jab.

7) Didn't say it was a secret but what a don't care actually means when used in context against what I said.

8) Funny how many who claim atheism as a masquerade for their own belief. Not saying you claimed to be an atheist as you clearly have a belief that god doesn't exist and not just lack of belief in a god.

1) You're only calling it "shallow and narrow-minded" because you don't agree with it. There's no other reason.

That's bullshit. It's shallow and narrow-minded for options like I gave that doesn't need god to exist.

2) "God" is part of the topic, making "doesn't exist" and "does exist" relevant.

Thanking god is relevant not his existence. Examples can and has been given why he doesn't need to exist for it not to be disrespectful. You'd have to purposefully ignore them to say otherwise.

4 cont.) The only issue I have with "God" is the lack of evidence for his existence. That doesn't make me arrogant. I don't care if you believe in "God" or not.

You realize that many who believe don't think there is evidence we know of either? I didn't say you were arrogant because you having an issue with a lack of evidence. I said I think it's arrogant to think if there is one that you're guaranteed to be able to see it or believe it if you did.

5) No. Again, I'm saying that I don't care, like I have stated before. It's a fact, not an opinion.

We've been over this before. Even if you don't I explained why you should. Why it matters. Otherwise that leaves those things I said.

6) No. I stated what I know is a fact, based on the lack of any evidence for "God's" existence.

What's this a know too. Can you quote directly what I'm saying?

I retrieved your deleted post because it was deleted and I wanted to respond to you; I don't get how me retrieving said post means that I'm taking a jab at something.

I said it's either asking for a response or taking a jab. What other reason would you feel the need to respond after someone already backed out of a conversation?

7) Yes, "I don't care" was used as and for exactly how you see it written.

Already responded to this.

8) Correct, I've not claimed to be Atheist. And I undoubtedly know that "God" is a fictional character in a 2,000+-year old book of fairy tales.

Again who said god is from those books. God is a concept. The books could be fictional and god still exist. God by nature isn't something that can or can't be proven absolutely. You can say you undoubtedly know something all you want and still be wrong. It doesn't mean anything. It doesn't make it fact or not fact. It's not something we can truly know.

---------------------------------------

Again though you say you don't care, I'm someone who lacks belief but thinks it's not something that can be proven either way.

I hate saying agnostic-atheist for reasons that makes it not sit well with me.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Actually, nevermind. I don't need to edit/add anything. You're good to go.

Yeah going back to edit is a problem I have. I always want to correct or fix things I say. It also caused problems with fixing things making it harder to understand. lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I'm in bed now, so I'll reply sometime after I wake.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No....but if I were the doctor and I heard this, I'd say "Ummmm actually, I drew on the power of SATAN to save your life".

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, this guy wins.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron_tiger: No worries. That was my last reply. Didn't really want to get into it anyway so don't wait on me.