Do you dislike The Big Bang Theory because of how it portrays nerds

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you dislike The Big Bang Theory because of how it portrays nerds (42 votes)

Yes, I dislike the show because of the way it portrays nerds and geek culture 7%
No, but I dislike the show for other reaons 45%
No, I like The Big Bang Theory 48%

I don't think it's news to anyone whose every seen even 1 episode of The Big Bang Theory that it doesn't exactly portray nerds in the best light.

So, I wanted to get a consensus from the Comic Vine community. Do you dislike it because of how it portrays nerds, are you fine with the portrayal of nerds but dislike it for other reasons, or do you like the show?

• 
Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it didn't stick to one stereotype of how nerds were. One of them was uptight/rude and wasn't very kind to people who didn't share the same interest as him, another had the haircut of a third grader and had no social life, but the other was very nice and loved sharing his passion with others who weren't from the same 'planet' as him, and then there was the mandatory minority who the studio needed to have on the show so that critics wouldn't call it a 'show full of white people'.

I didn't like the show because it was corny asf and it felt like it was show made by normal people who didn't understand the culture of comics and science but tried making a show that catered to the people who are from that sort of culture. Plus, there was nobody I was able to relate to or see myself as...maybe I'm just not nerdy enough lol

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure the portrayal of nerds was why people like drama it in the first place.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mrmonster

Personally, I don't hate or love the show. I think it's alright. It's something I can enjoy watching as a rerun, but never something I'm really hyped to see.

But I've never really cared about its portrayal of nerds. I've never thought it was a big deal.

Avatar image for ifdcruledtheworld
IfDCRuledTheWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IfDCRuledTheWorld

Odd answer but fashion choices. You got 2 attractive blondes, Penny and Bernadette, that you hide behind baggy clothes.

Not saying that you parade them around in nothing but they are dressing a lot more conservative now. Got to give the male audiences what they would like to see because it's definitely not the comedy.

Just my opinion from the male demographic.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the Big Bang Theory.

Lil_Remains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares how they portray “nerds”?

grappolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like it because i don't see the fun in it, it's simple as that.

KillerQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares how they portray “nerds”?

That's literally the question. In any case, it never really bothered me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be9a9d48ee87
deactivated-5be9a9d48ee87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've watched a few clips of it, and it seems pretty horrible

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You could use another option “I have no opinion on the show for other reasons”. I don’t like or dislike the show because I have never seen an entire episode of the series. That isn’t to say that I haven’t seen any of the show. I have on numerous occasions walked into a room where other people were watching the show usually when I’m in the kitchen and they’re in the living room. That’s not enough for me to form an opinion fairly. Truth be told in the last five years I have watched very few network sitcoms. Only three actually; Community, Superstore and The Good Place. Furthermore, I fell off all of them as I got bored with the format. I’m no highbrow either since I’ve dropped sitcoms for cartoons and video games.

Perhaps Big Bang Theory’s portrayal of geeks and nerds is on point , or maybe it’s the laziest, most stereotypical image that we’ve been fighting to overcome for decades. Either way, because I already live the lifestyle, I don’t need to see a fictionalized version of it on TV.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

I don't like it because it isn't funny. But I could say that for other modern "comedies" as well so.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't care. They don't even make it look like all nerds look like that. Just the ones on the show. I'd rather have that portrayal then the one media is trying to make us out to be. Nazi, racist, misogynistic, homophobes just because we don't like their BS narrative.

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It never really bothered me much

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I should clarify why I made this in the first place.

I forget exactly what video it was, but after watching some video essay about comedy on YouTube that said (paraphrasing as best I can, I probabl won't get the qoute verbatim) "I belive the reason why so many involved in the geek community dislike the show is because it is essentially one long joke at their expense."

I wasn't really convinced of that, so I went here to see if it was true, and based on how the reactions have been so far, I'm guessing it's not. Contrary to what that essay would have you believe, I guess most nerds aren't overly sensitive enough to not be able to take a joke at their expense.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've seen a few episodes here and there, sometimes they're funny but people who say it's black face for nerds aren't wrong.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like it because it's unfunny af. The fact how it's 12 seasons long means that the American People have grown to be unfunnier over the years, how we went from Seinfeld to this, I'll never understand...

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol BBT is funny af

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@faradaysloth: People have a different sense of humor than you? This is why our country is in debt

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like it because it's unfunny af. The fact how it's 12 seasons long means that the American People have grown to be unfunnier over the years, how we went from Seinfeld to this, I'll never understand...

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NiteLite

No,I like it,and agree with what some people said above.

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The early seasons(1-5) were actually pretty funny .More recent seasons ,not so much .And I never had a problem with how they portrayed nerds.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That, and the fact that it wasn't funny. It was barely interesting for 1 season, let alone 12.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dernman

@cull_obsidian said:

@ifdcruledtheworld: wow what a very sexist answer

Well done Mr mysogonist male demographic

Sexist maybe but not misogynistic. Not that there is anything wrong with men wanting woman to dress attractive to them. It only gets sexist with the assumption of requirement and obligation. Though if the show was specifically geared towards the male demographic eve n that would be different but it's not. So ya Sexist maybe but not misogynistic.

@johncena69swag said:
@faradaysloth said:

American People haven't gotten less funnier because of liking BBT. People who watch it is because it's an easy shut your mind off and relax or do something else while watching show. Now outrage culture on the other hand had done alot to make American's less funny

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cull_Obsidian

@dernman: Objectification of women solely for the desires and pleasures of men is indeed mysogonistic

There's nothing wrong with wanting a woman to be attractive but he pretty much said that they need to dress less conservative as men only watch it for the attractive blonde girls

If you can't see the problem there then maybe you're part of the problem in society that thinks women are just objects for men to drool over

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Respecc wahman

Avatar image for deactivated-5beeed406e9c9
deactivated-5beeed406e9c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh, not really

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By dshipp17

I suppose that I see it as a show where I learn something about how the more current audience sees geek culture and nerds. But, somewhere along the line from where I got the perception of geeks and nerds and where people in the United States to perceive it got different; somewhere between high school and when I finished college, it got shift, mixed up, and underwent some type of inversion to put it in a way. Before finishing high school, I was part of a geek and nerd community that resembled Bart's sister during about the first 3-5 Seasons of the Simpsons, Steve Urkel, the characters on Toxic Avengers and Class of Nukem High, and a movie franchise that was literally called Nerds (e.g. Revenge Nerds); I suppose Goonies was a little that way too; if you look at it, those bare no resemblance to this show at all, but, I've only seen clips or screencaps on a couple of occasions (e.g. I hear this about it and I'm aware of the show, of course, I just didn't watch it, essentially for no particular reason; it's not an indication of like or dislike for the show, just no particular reason, except, maybe, a primary reason, is I lack access to the network that broadcast it; I certain would follow a character from the show who was in Charmed, as I watched that show, but, I didn't follow her to the show, even though I did intend to to a certain degree); as someone else said, I virtually catch nothing or no sitcoms in recent years, dating back to 2000, really, 1995, when I finished high school and started college; from 2002 going forward, largely what I've watched is national news, and a break now and then would be WWE; since 2016, I no longer even have cable.

This show actually sort of resembles my second stint in college and starting my career. Essentially, this show is sort of teaching me that I'm basically out of touch with how current social arrangements works (e.g. how people automatically see things where I just don't get it, as the pun goes), as compared to say the days of Family Matters and Toxic Avengers, where this show is what's being called or perceived as geek now; but this show is more closely related to what we once thought of as the cool or normal crowd/people; now, I can't separate the geeks from the non-geeks; I guess it's some type of subtle difference that most socially adept people realize and can tell, but I just no longer get; but, for me, it's just different types of normals: you have what's called the geeks now or the people that have their hobbies and careers, back in those days, business people, or athletic people, etc; thus, for me, this show really doesn't display a geek and nerd culture that I grew up and learned about; just some bizarre twist, almost as if someone shifted the time stream on me, while I was almost totally focused on my academics, and I was left out of the loop for a large part, where I remember the prior reality and time stream, but no one else does. For me, this show more represents something akin to 'want to be' geeks and nerds; the real geeks and nerds are the Bart's sister and people from Toxic Avengers, Steve Urkel, etc; I guess, a culture where if you pretend something is real long enough it becomes as good as the real thing; that basically describes the current culture in the US, for one.

Tabitha_Grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dislike it because it's your typical sitcom schlock, just with a few more Star Trek references. And the references they do are the most basic, straight forward ones so middle america can laugh long. "I'm saving this money for an adamantium skeleton" *laugh track* It's not done in a subtle or clever way.

The main focus of the "humor" is the one character is autistic. I mean there are always eccentric characters with quirks in shows, but this is legit autism as the punchline. Not to moral police, is a bit scummy. Outside of that it's your typical jew, Indian stereotypes. The jewish guy lives with his big fat mom and the Indian guy is the Indian character from Van wilder.

Avatar image for universeichigo1
universeichigo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Americans always had a weird sense of humor, not surprised.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By dshipp17

More than a nerdy or geek show, this show just seems like an updated version of something like All in the Family, Married with Children, Roseanne Barr, or Seinfeld, but, again, I haven't watched it; but, from the snippets that I did see, I don't see how that conclusion can be escaped; something like Revenge of the Nerds kind of comes right out at you and this show just doesn't bring those vibes, as the characters seem like hobby enthusiasts or something of that nature which is normal like the mentioned shows; but, when I get a chance, I'll give it a reasonable shot by trying to go through Season 1, binge watching it, for the sake of Kaley, as I liked Charmed.

Tabitha_Grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can make fun of sterotypes, it just has to be funny

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dernman

@cull_obsidian said:

@dernman: Objectification of women solely for the desires and pleasures of men is indeed mysogonistic

It's not black and white like that. That's subjective and subject to perspective.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a woman to be attractive but he pretty much said that they need to dress less conservative as men only watch it for the attractive blonde girls

Hence why I said sexist because of the implied obligation of the woman to dress for man. It's also sexist for stereotyping men as that's all they want.

If you can't see the problem there then maybe you're part of the problem in society that thinks women are just objects for men to drool over

No you're part of the problem of this narrow minded, suffocating, authoritarian puritanical outrage culture. If people want to make a show or watch one that gears towards a man OR woman using attractiveness to appeal to people of the other sex they shouldn't be made out to be monsters. It's when it becomes an obligation and stuffing you only in that box when it becomes a problem. You don't like it, don't watch it but don't be an ass and force others into your mold of what's "right think." You just cause more dividing problems then you like to pretend you solve.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a question about BTT, how did we get to this lol

Avatar image for darkpsychiclord_prime
DarkPsychicLord_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was hilarious sometimes, not always. I never found their depiction of nerds anoying or anything. I don't watch it anymore though.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

It's not black and white like that. That's subjective and subject to perspective.

No you are incorrect, I suggest you look up the definition of Mysogonist, if women are being sexually objectified by men then that is by definition MYSOGONISTIC, it's simple

Hence why I said sexist because of the implied obligation of the woman to dress for man. It's also sexist for stereotyping men as that's all they want.

Yeah exactly, I don't even know why your arguing as you have already admitted he was sexist. No that's not even relevant here as I never said that all men are like that, the user I was replying to said "Got to give the male audiences what" in reference to that the attractive blondes need to wear less, so I didn't stereotype anyone.

No you're part of the problem of this narrow minded, suffocating, authoritarian puritanical outrage culture.

I'm not part of that, but apparently according to you, calling out sexist behaviour put you in an unfavourable culture?... Riiight

If people want to make a show or watch one that gears towards a man OR woman using attractiveness to appeal to people of the other sex they shouldn't be made out to be monsters.

No people who wasn't to continue the institutional patriarchal sexist culture in the west are the problem, and enabling this to continue is part of the problem, if you like it or not

Also the show doesn't NOT revolve or gear towards using the opposite sex to attract viewers, they are going against the oppressive nature of using sex to sell a brand or product, which is why you have people like the other user hitching that they attractive girls are covered up

It's when it becomes an obligation and stuffing you only in that box when it becomes a problem. You don't like it, don't watch it but don't be an ass and force others into your mold of what's "right think." You just cause more dividing problems then you like to pretend you solve.

No its not only when it's direct or overt when it's a problem, most mysogonistic behaviour flues under the radar. I actually love the big bang theory, unlike most people here apparently, and I'm actually a right wing male who has also been guilty of objectify women probably still do but, there is nothing wrong with picking the battles that need to be won and we have to start somewhere

Not forcing anything wasn't trying to change anyone's mind just pointing out that that guy was sexist as he was, like most makes they don't actually know they are being sexist as its so ingrained and institutionalised in society that the prevailing culture in the UK is the laddish banter rubbish that think nothing of wolf whistling a girl and slapping her ass or mentioning her physical appearance and if anyone says anything they just say they should be flattered and is no bid deal

I guess that your male by the way you don't see the problem

Aka_aka_aka_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aka_aka_aka_ak

Yes, because it popularises the idea of being a nerd. They see Leonard, an experimental physicist who does no exercise, likes comics/generally nerdy things and yet still gets the girl, it romanticises the idea. I'm so sick of people calling themselves nerds because they like mainstream things like Star Wars and MCU.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HeroUp2112

No, I like BBT quite a lot. I'm old enough to remember that this is how nerds were thought of and treated. The whole "neuvou nerd" chic thing is a really new concept to me, that I still don't quite understand. Granted, my group I grew up with and the friends I had in college. We were a very mixed bag and not much like the gang on the show...no experimental physicists and the like, but we DID have our hyper-intelligent, VERY socially awkward oddballs, and we had some fairly normal types who just liked "nerd" stuff too (yes I was in that category, sue me) who didn't judge anybody. Thing is, the group on the show still rings true to me, the experiences, the arguments, the interactions, the problems, and the jokes just work for me. Granted the physics jokes I BARELY get and the math jokes that I don't get at ALL are over my head but they have enough context to them that I don't feel talked down to.

Penny and Bernadette are great foils for those of us that were more "mundane" is the term we used to use and didn't "get" some of the more esoteric stuff and brings things into the realm for (I HATE this term but it's all I can think of right now) for the "normal" viewer to relate to things and that's why I think the show is so successful.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The antithesis of "It's Always Sunny"...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dernman

@cull_obsidian said:

@dernman:

No you are incorrect, I suggest you look up the definition of Mysogonist, if women are being sexually objectified by men then that is by definition MYSOGONISTIC, it's simple

You're right it is simple so I I suggest you take your own advice. For it to be Mysogonist it would have to have a dislike for woman or prejudge them. His statement doesn't indicate that.

Yeah exactly, I don't even know why your arguing as you have already admitted he was sexist.

I'm not arguing that it wasn't maybe sexist. I was arguing that it wasn't misogynist in itself without making assumptions. They're not the same thing. Learn the differences.

No that's not even relevant here as I never said that all men are like that, the user I was replying to said "Got to give the male audiences what" in reference to that the attractive blondes need to wear less, so I didn't stereotype anyone.

I didn't say you did. I was showing how the statement could be considered sexist eithier way.

I'm not part of that, but apparently according to you, calling out sexist behaviour put you in an unfavourable culture?... Riiight

Man you have a hard time comprehending what people say don't you? Again I never argued that you were that because you called his comment sexist but calling someone part of the problem just because they corrected you on something based on assumptions and feelings another accusation as part of the problem isn't themselves part of the problem. RIiiiiiight

No people who wasn't to continue the institutional patriarchal sexist culture in the west are the problem, and enabling this to continue is part of the problem, if you like it or not

Ok I'm going to stop because I'm laughing too hard. Thank you for saving me the time of reading further and treating this as a legit argument.. I now know you have nothing worth hearing and are a caricature to be mocked. lol wow

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bailed on it about season 3 or 4 mainly because I lost interest. But tbh it was never that serious to me ?‍♂️

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really like it.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the first few seasons. The characters are completely different from what they were originally intended to be, so I stopped watching. Sheldon was supposed to be socially awkward genius, now he's quirky. Raj no longer has any issues whatsoever talking to girls, where the first couple seasons his whole premise was that he couldn't even make a sound in front of them (I think they ran out of ways to portray that though). Howard goes from a playboy wannabe to a family man and never showed any signs again that he was a little perv. Amy's character profile went right out the window quicker than anybody though-she was meant to be an exact copy of Sheldon essentially, but then they bring her in as a regular and suddenly she's a quirky, love stricken, ga-ga character and they focus more on that than the fact that she's a genius scientist.

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh.....