Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (923 posts) 1 month, 4 days ago

Poll: Do you believe in parallel universes? (24 votes)

Yes 58%
No 42%

Many works of fiction, including comics by DC and Marvel, have played with the idea of there being parallel universes. It all may seem unrealistic to some but we know next to nothing about our own universe, we could barely travel to the moon let alone other planets let alone explore even 0.00000000000001% of our reality, so who's to say our idea of realism is accurate?

Stephen Hawking believed in the existence of a multiverse, given his influence I hope more bright brains of the future can continue his studies and one day give us an answer. So, do you think there are alternate realities?

#2 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (923 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a good video if anyone is interested.

Loading Video...

#3 Edited by tethadam (571 posts) - - Show Bio

No. If threre was an Infinit amount of universes there would be a universe that would destroy the multiverse by now, because of infinit possibilities.

#4 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6292 posts) - - Show Bio

No I don't believe in parallel universes.

I might believe in a family of universes but they would not be parallel.

#5 Posted by SC (18159 posts) - - Show Bio

@tethadam said:

No. If threre was an Infinit amount of universes there would be a universe that would destroy the multiverse by now, because of infinit possibilities.

Thats not necessarily accurate. We can use our own universe to illustrate the flaw in such reasoning. We could say that if the size of the universe is infinite, then somewhere out there, in the infinite vastness of space, there should be a giant train that is a billion times the size of our sun. Except thats nor true, trains conform to certain rules that align to our understanding of reality. We may not have a perfect all knowing understanding of reality... but we know enough to know that trains can not be that size.

My example is not a perfect parallel/analogy, but the main point is, different realities, no matter how many, may observe certain rules, that by definition rule out certain possibilities that can only exist in our imaginations. Or, even then, the conditions for such events to occur may be extremely rare, meaning maybe one day one reality will be the cause of the extinction of all realities.

Making a definitive claim either way requires knowledge of the criteria and conditions of such event... an appeal to the unknown and odds aren't compelling because they lack exclusivity (if there are an infinite number of universes and possibilities, there would be a universe where I personally gained all power and became God, or a massively giant (300 billion light years tall) pink bunny could eat universes, or a super massive black hole became sapient and started to succ all the universes to death or... but some of these ideas/hypotheticals could and will contradict and conflict with each other, as if by definition, the occurrence of some events and phenomena that do occur, limit the possibilities of events, phenomena that haven't occurred or even whether they can occur.)

That all being said "no" could also still be the correct reality of the question.

#6 Posted by Supermanthor (20192 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup

#7 Posted by PenguinDust (9161 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it’s a fun idea, but it’s all theory and convenient explanation.

#8 Posted by loyngulpany (2783 posts) - - Show Bio

No, in fact I enjoy watching stories about parallel universes even though they're not real.

#9 Posted by NiteLite (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#10 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12719 posts) - - Show Bio

They make for great entertaining stories in fiction/science fiction, but I have yet to see or come across any proof they exist...so no

#11 Posted by Lan_Fan (14825 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#12 Posted by NiteLite (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

Tbh,a thing like that could exist if you think about the vastness of Dark Energy.

#13 Posted by jagernutt (16695 posts) - - Show Bio

Who knows

#14 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6292 posts) - - Show Bio

Me and @jagernutt: reckon that there are some perpendicular universes

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#15 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (16568 posts) - - Show Bio

Their is never only one of anything, unless that thing is becoming extinct.

#16 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm.

#17 Posted by Omnipotent94 (1486 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#18 Posted by cosmic_reign (3588 posts) - - Show Bio

Can be possible

#19 Posted by Darkthunder (2714 posts) - - Show Bio

Possible.

#20 Posted by Iron_Tiger (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, with me as the Nexus of them all.

#21 Posted by Quinlan58 (1773 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea of parallel universe (as, universes that are almost exactly the same as our one with maybe a couple differences) sounds unlikely to me. Even if a multiverse exists, there's no reason it would be so similar to our own.

Also, infinite possibilities does not mean every possibility, just as the even numbers are infinite but would never include a number ending in 1.

#22 Posted by NiteLite (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

My bad,at post 12 I said that thinking about multiverses,which may exist,not parallel universe s which I think are highly unlikely to exist.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#23 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1714 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything is possible. Can't say I wouldn't consider the slim chance.

#24 Posted by BumpyBoo (14790 posts) - - Show Bio

I do hope not. One of those other versions of me could be out there living my best life. I hate all the other me's.

#25 Posted by Lord_Tenebrous (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha no. Simply ludicrous and baseless. There are far too many contradictions as well. Chief among them, the fact that there cannot be an infinite amount of finite things. Rather simple.

#26 Posted by JediXMan (42731 posts) - - Show Bio

It's cool to think about, but no.

#27 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

yes