Do you agree with this essay's point of Sexual Identity and Sexual Orientation?

nightbornhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you agree with this essay's point of Sexual Identity and Sexual Orientation? (26 votes)

Yes, it's possible. 15%
No way, full of bull shit. 85%

He basically says you can enjoy have sex with same sex people as much as you want and you still can identified yourself as straight.

• 
Rhubarb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strictly going off your summary of the essays argument, i tend to agree it is possible.

nightbornhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rhubarb:

https://scholars.org/contribution/why-some-men-have-sex-men-identify-straight-not-gay-or-bisexual-and-implications

This is the essay.

Rhubarb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightbornhulk:

Thanks i'll give it a look in a bit. Tad busy with my own essays at the moment unfortunately.

nightbornhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nightbornhulk

@rhubarb:

Anyway how it is possible?

If you are straight how can you even getting turned on by other men's body?

Rhubarb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightbornhulk:

Well in the article, he differentiates between sexual orientation and identity. He seems to have not delved into the explicit reasons for how they become attracted to other men. He instead provides speculation such as sexuality changing over time, expressing sexual desires on another person when their partners are unable to fulfill this role, having certain fantasies and desires.

Certainly an interesting article, but quite brief and speculative, especially considering the confines of its samples demographic.

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly can't comprehend how someone can identify as strictly heterosexual and also willingly have sexual relations with someone of their same gender.

According to the article, the men sampled were rural men who said they enjoy the perks of being a part of "straight" culture such as being a father and being married. Basically, two things any gay man in America can do. Sure there is probably more of a stigma against those things in more rural parts of the country but they also have the freedom to just as easily move to somewhere more accepting of their lifestyle.

For me, any way you cut it, these men are at the very least bisexual and the only reason they "identify" as straight is due to where they live. Just move to a blue state and you won't have to live a lie anymore is what I'd tell any of them.

Baldur_Odinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If a man sticks his dangling dong inside another man, he is either gay or bi; he can't be straight.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McFlicky

Speaking from personal experience this kinda sounds like denial to me. You can still be supportive of grsm but still have internalized homophobia, biphobia, etc. Also, sexual and romantic attraction are two different things. A person can be bisexual/heteroromantic, or asexual/homoromantic, etc. I don't know what goes on in other people's heads so I'm not willing to say it's total nonsense, but I did go through a similar phase and was in deep denial throughout my teens.

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReaperTheGrim

If you enjoy a man's dick up your ass ur not straight.

Dathomir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BaftDastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Macedonian way, when your off fighting a war you shag blokes an when you come back you settle down with your wife and kids

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mimisalome

That reminds me of the case of the serial killer named Carl Panzram.

He was sexually abuse as a child and probably developed a fetish for gay sex and sadism.

I would imagine it is similar to the idea of "Pavlov conditioning".

Kinda like if we were train to associate an activity to pleasurable experience, we tend to develop a habit of it.

Children are said to vulnerable to such conditioning.

So if a straight person tend to develop a fetish for gay sex, one can assume he was conditioned to it when he was young.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you’re straight then no. Wtf

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Education in 2020. How gayest of sex ain't gay.

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
WolverineBatmanFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By WolverineBatmanFTW  Online

@mimisalome said:

That reminds me of the case of the serial killer named Carl Panzram.

He was sexually abuse as a child and probably developed a fetish for gay sex and sadism.

I would imagine it is similar to the idea of "Pavlov conditioning".

Kinda like if we were train to associate an activity to pleasurable experience, we tend to develop a habit of it.

Children are said to vulnerable to such conditioning.

So if a straight person tend to develop a fetish for gay sex, one can assume he was conditioned to it when he was young.

Or maybe they're just bisexual or gay and in denial. Occam's razor, you know.

But sure, let's convolute the situation with pop psychology and serial killer narratives.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mimisalome

@wolverinebatmanftw:

Do bisexual identify themselves as straight (heterosexual)?

I'm not arguing that they are not bisexual (which is an assumption that would imply that they are in denial).

But given the description in the OP, I would assume that they do not identify as bisexual.

They identify as straight (heterosexual), and therefore there is a reason behind them engaging in sexual activity that is not particularly similar with bisexualism.

Im not covulating anything.

I'm just sticking with the premise of the case.

And just implying that there are other actual and real alternative possibilities other than your so-called "Occam's Razors" (gay bisexual in denial).

Avatar image for teaganwallis193
teaganwallis193

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am confusion.

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
WolverineBatmanFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By WolverineBatmanFTW  Online

@mimisalome said:

@wolverinebatmanftw:

Do bisexual identify themselves as straight (heterosexual)?

I'm not arguing that they are not bisexual (which is an assumption that would imply that they are in denial).

But given the description in the OP, I would assume that they do not identify as bisexual.

They identify as straight (heterosexual), and therefore there is a reason behind them engaging in sexual activity that is not particularly similar with bisexualism.

Im not covulating anything.

I'm just sticking with the premise of the case.

And just implying that there are other actual and real alternative possibilities other than your so-called "Occam's Razors" (gay bisexual in denial).

Having gay sex is not a fetish. It is an element of one's sexuality that lends to them being either gay, bisexual or pansexual. This person is clearly in denial. Internalized homophobia is a widely recognized phenomenon. Regardless of whether this person identifies as straight, if they are having sex with members of their own gender, they are not. That's it. This isn't particularly difficult. You said the person was perhaps "conditioned" to enjoy gay sex. This doesn't happen. People aren't conditioned to develop different sexualities. People either accept the fact that they're homosexual, bisexual or pansexual, or they remain in denial and present themselves as straight.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having gay sex is not a fetish. It is an element of one's sexuality that lends to them being either gay, bisexual or pansexual. This person is clearly in denial. Internalized homophobia is a widely recognized phenomenon. Regardless of whether this person identifies as straight, if they are having sex with members of their own gender, they are not. That's it. This isn't particularly difficult. You said the person was perhaps "conditioned" to enjoy gay sex. This doesn't happen. People aren't conditioned to develop different sexualities. People either accept the fact that they're homosexual, bisexual or pansexual, or they remain in denial and present themselves as straight.

"Gay sex" just imply an (sexual) activity.

It just mean a sexual activity that involves individuals of the same sex.

Participants may either be gay or not (eg: non-consensual sex or in prostitution).

It's an activitity that is not exclusive to the gay people.

As everyone has biological sexual characteristics and there are no physical laws in the universe that can prevent people of the same sex to engage in sexual activity for whatever reasons (being gay or otherwise).

"Gay sex" as generic activity can be an object or focus of fetishistic behavior, just like anything else in the world.

It is not some divine sacred metaphysical thing that is outside the realms of behavioral conditioning.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to identify as a vegan then.

But I still prefer to eat meat.

barretstrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By barretstrife

If you are a man who %^& someone who wasn't born with a Vagina you are not straight. And all woman are bisexual. Op you don't need permission, do you.

alexsandro22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By alexsandro22

Yes, I agree. It's our own choice to be made. It's our choice how to live. I consider myself as a gay, I watch vibragame gay related videos, I read wiki about gays and other info, I talk to my friends-gays and it's our choice how we desire to live.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24 Lunacyde  Moderator

@alavanka said:

I would like to identify as a vegan then.

But I still prefer to eat meat.

That's actually a pretty apt example. Basically, you are one thing, but because of the social ramifications, you prefer to identify yourself to others as something different.

esthersherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By esthersherry
citgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you enjoy a man's dick up your ass ur not straight.

Avatar image for namelessmonster
NamelessMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By NamelessMonster
Loading Video...

People answering yes, LOL.

Insertnewname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightbornhulk: Dont care. I dont care about with who other people have sex with, as long as they arent in a relationship with me, then I do care and am envious.

Anyways, no, if u have sex with both genders ur bi. because u wouldnt do it without having fun unless its rape.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The link for the article does not work.

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently Hitler are not a genocidal person now?

Is make no sense.

Avatar image for sixpathsofcapra
SixPathsOfCapra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If enjoying sex with a same sex person is straight then what makes someone gay?

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't that make you gae?

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers