Posted by JakeFuryV2 (3106 posts) 10 months, 6 days ago

Poll: Do the political/religious views of an actor or actress affect you viewing their films? (44 votes)

Yes 16%
No 84%

Title says it all. For me it does not.

Avatar image for ifdcruledtheworld
#1 Posted by IfDCRuledTheWorld (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Even if it differs from mine it doesn't determine the quality of their work.

#2 Posted by kgb725 (19239 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if they hold a political view that's racist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
#3 Edited by deactivated-5b5405244e89c (8376 posts) - - Show Bio

Baring something really nutty no.

#4 Edited by Quinlan58 (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. I have issues with watching films by, say, Roman Polanski (and I wouldn't even have an issue with that if he had served time), but a political or religious view doesn't affect my enjoyment.

#5 Posted by mrmonster (15624 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it doesn't.

#6 Posted by juiceboks (24886 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on what it is and how fervent they are in their beliefs. I won't watch anything with Tim Allen in it after finding out how much of an unapologetic racist he is.

#7 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (4939 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn’t matter to me, unless they’re a commie.

#8 Posted by cattlebattle (17734 posts) - - Show Bio

Well considering an overwhelming amount of people in Hollywood are liberal I would be shit out of luck enjoying movies if the views of these people affected my viewing.

#9 Posted by Warlockmage (9312 posts) - - Show Bio

like it depends on the severity and like how vocal they are, for example

No Caption Provided

this is BS, and honestly wont ever see a Fonda movie again.

but am i gonna stop seeing Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, or RDJ movies? no because they are usually intelligent with how they state their opinions and they do it politely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c07a0327fd39
#10 Posted by deactivated-5c07a0327fd39 (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Unless they support ISIS...

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#11 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

They can worship snakes for all I care I just want the movie to be good.

#12 Posted by Shadowwaker (2495 posts) - - Show Bio

Well actors are hypocrites like the Greek word entails. So they might play a completely different person in a movie than in real life.

#13 Posted by ValorKnight (12412 posts) - - Show Bio

You'd have to be mentally impaired if it did.

#14 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6313 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like Tom Cruise but I think he is a fantastic actor.

#15 Posted by JakeFuryV2 (3106 posts) - - Show Bio

Poll results make me happy.

#16 Edited by the_wspanialy (4096 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by EICHHOLTZ (574 posts) - - Show Bio

so I am a huge hypocrite. I love tom Cruise (Captain Scientology) and I am stupid excited for the new Mission impossible. vise versa the actress elizabeth Moss, (I loved her as Peggy in Mad Men) is in that show the HandMaiden's tale which is about a religious cult... who is a scientologist... seems comical to me.

#18 Posted by Lan_Fan (14962 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, it does.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb52f8f25413
#19 Edited by deactivated-5bb52f8f25413 (7026 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. People are completely free to believe in what they believe.

#20 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#21 Posted by TheHierarchy (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

No, why would it?

Unless they believe something really nuts there is no reason to write off movies with these actors in it.

#22 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27897 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I like actors and their films because of their acting. Couldn't care less about how good of people they are.

#23 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3211 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, after finding out that Chris Pratt is a batshit crazy Christian I simply cannot enjoy his performances as I once did. I know it's irrational as it doesn't influence his acting, but it's just annoying at the back of my mind.

#24 Posted by HitTheAssasin (8256 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#25 Edited by Fabricolage (1969 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as it doesn't affect what they are working with to some extent, imo.

#26 Posted by ImMadNice (1383 posts) - - Show Bio

Hollywood is anti-trump so I'd be in trouble

#27 Posted by Doofasa (2191 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if their beliefs and actions are really extreme.

#28 Posted by Amcu (16930 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa said:

#29 Posted by JSDoctor (1645 posts) - - Show Bio

Only in two situations:

1. The beliefs are extreme/offensive, or presented in an extreme/offensive manner.
  2. The film directly relates to the thing that the actor/actress has the opinion on, because it could add context to the film and make it more interesting/relevant.
#30 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

Overall, no.

But I do kinda have this notion of an actor or actress standing on a scene of somekind and on one hand representing a certain character with certain beliefs and ideals, and then spout political stuff that's not befitting of that character. My prime example of this is Gal Gadot, loved her as Wonder Woman, but following her Twitter my personal perception of her got a hairline fracture when she tweeted out support for Israeli tank crews going into Gaza.

#31 Edited by dshipp17 (5533 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, they could have an effect on what they produce, but, it would have to be somewhat extreme. Example for me: Bill Maher; he made me a fan as a frequent commentator on CNN, back in the day, like 90s and early 2000s, but quickly eroded my enjoyment of him, after I viewed how obnoxious his atheistic views are; they're irrational or, literally, not rational; thus, he's probably a bit too far to the left; but, yes, initially a fan but, discovering his views toward Christianity, he literally changed my opinion of him (e.g. however, I still kind of like Lawrence Krauss because he's almost like a doppelganger for my physics professor in college; he seems to have all of those traits of a good teacher for me, as long as he just sticks with physics; he literally has like my standing love, but deflects it, every time he talks religion, particularly, Christianity, but it comes back once he stops; what would chance me about someone like that is if I meant them and I ended up walking away having felt insulted or dismissed by the person, in a certain way; except the memory of my physics professor is something that will always be a part of me, as he literally helped shaped me as a person; that's something that's very rare and very hard to accomplish, as not many people stick out in such a way for me; two others would be my high school algebra teacher and my chemistry professor; also, my second and third line supervisors at the FDA, as they shepherded me through my first years of the start of my career, even though we're the very definition of antagonists towards one another, currently, as they also conspired against me for an extended period of time to destroy my career on the other end of the spectrum; however, nothing can really override that genuine display of initial kindness that they showed me by going out of their way to help me personally when I needed it the most; it was quite literally the very first reaction that they had towards me; that's quite unique and special in a person and says a lot about who they really are as a person; I just hope that God works with their hearts and guide them through their bitterness, as they at least once had the ingredients there, rather they still do or not, if such hasn't since happened).

And, there are quite a few politicians on the right, as I consider them more declared Christians rather than actual Christians: if politics enter the picture, depending on how extreme, it could flip my preconceptions of that person on a dime; and this goes for Christians who are very weak in defending their Christian faith, when they're trying to cater to what they believe the political views of the masses represent; surprising, I believe there's like an African American self-professed reverend who's supportive of a certain very flamboyant politician who's in constant limelight who automatically had my preconceptions against him until I saw how he defended Christianity in the face of mass opposition on CNN a couple of months ago, where he didn't make himself sound like a crackpot; although I question his political position, being African American and all, my preconceptions are supportive of him; I'd just need to have a few talks with him to pinpoint him at a subconscious level to figure out why he's doing what he's doing (e.g. another example, Sarah Palin; although we clearly wouldn't agree politically, I do find her Christian faith genuine, even though she's politically misguided; I might be mistaken, but I don't think she's right winged, she just has her views of government).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
#32 Edited by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:
@doofasa said:

#33 Edited by Eric_of_Apotos (352 posts) - - Show Bio

As a guy who strongly dislikes the left I'd pretty much never watch movies if I felt that way. Most big Hollywood names would probably call me human garbage.

#34 Posted by Maniac2312 (1164 posts) - - Show Bio

If the movie looks like something I want to waych, no. That's what I'm there for

Maybe in the extreme side it would.