Do most people still take the terms "Weeaboo", "Weeb", "Otaku" and other similar terms as insults nowadays?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided

Legitimate question.

From my personal experiences and occasional Internet research in life as of recently, I would notice that most people would openly and proudly accept of those labels instead of taking them as insults which were the original usage of those terms. However, a couple of my real life friends openly admitted to me that people who allow those labels to be used on them would use those terms on other people who are also labeled as such as a "friendly fire" insult.

Sooo...

Do most people still take the terms "Weeaboo", "Weeb", "Otaku" and other similar terms as insults nowadays?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Shut up weeb.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mimisalome

I think the only people who still consider childish name callings as an insult are kids, teens, and immature adults that have yet to form their own sense of individuality and still relies on social acceptance as a definer of their personal identity

Once you realized what you actually want in life and acknowledge things that you actually love you'll eventually become immune to the unfavorable opinions of other people that doesn't share and appreciates your hobbies.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think most people are even familiar with those terms, period.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I use Otaku on myself all the time. So no for me. Really try to not let it affect you.

Avatar image for sainguinexshadow
SainguineXshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More like Edgy is used as an insult nowadays i bet half of the people who even say it or call someone it don't even know it's real meaning.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b466be4b5981
deactivated-5b466be4b5981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Otaku just means nerd in Japanese. Everyone on this site is an otaku.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nah, weeb is too mainstream an insult now to carry any real bite, now it just means guy who liked 2 or 3 anime.

rahiem9123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the only people who still consider childish name callings as an insult are kids, teens, and immature adults that have yet to form their own sense of individuality and still relies on social acceptance as a definer of their personal identity

Once you realized what you actually want in life and acknowledge things that you actually love you'll eventually become immune to the unfavorable opinions of other people that doesn't share and appreciates your hobbies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b466be4b5981
deactivated-5b466be4b5981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15 said:

Nah, weeb is too mainstream an insult now to carry any real bite, now it just means guy who liked 2 or 3 anime.

Also true

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it was a 4chan thing originally. Do people still go to 4chan? Last time I heard anything about them they were chasing after Shia Labeouf's pants or something like that. I didn't catch all of the details.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aahhh, gotta love that "insulting is only for kids" argument.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was a 4chan thing originally. Do people still go to 4chan? Last time I heard anything about them they were chasing after Shia Labeouf's pants or something like that. I didn't catch all of the details.

Yeah. Also, /pol/ isn't the entirety of 4chan.

Referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Referee

I have never heard of either term in my entire life.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're probably a weeabo

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Ehhhh... it really depends. I've heard it and have used it both ways.

The ironic thing is that only geeks know what a weeb is, so it is only a thing within the geek community. Weeb is a subcategory of geek.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly didn't know these words existed. But it all makes sense now.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd take offense in that both are a miscategorization of my interests. I watch anime, but I consume it like I would any other form of entertainment and don't consider it to be especially better than anything else. I'm just a nerd that is interested in a wide range of different things in roughly equal measure.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sense a salty weeb

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Haha I used to frequent a forum with so may users who fit that description of the weeaboo to a f***ing tee. I wish I knew back then what to call them. None of them had seen Akira either, I found this mind-boggling.

More like Edgy is used as an insult nowadays i bet half of the people who even say it or call someone it don't even know it's real meaning.

That one bothers me, cutting edge is bad now - why?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df
deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress: considering how the retarded people use Gay, autistic (something that is not funny and definitely not something to be ashamed of) etc as insults and other retards take offence if they are called gay or autistic, yes they do.( and yeah I used the R word, in case anyone wants to point out, but people who use these terms as insults and people who take them as insults, should be called that) as for some reason people who don't have anything good in them use those terms to make themselves feel good or superior to others. but worse are the people who take them as insults in this day and age.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Because of obnoxious semi-autistic Japanophiles ruining the culture...

Avatar image for sainguinexshadow
SainguineXshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath:

Edgy as a slang term doesn't mean modern or advanced. It comes from the phrase "dark and edgy", which was used a lot in the 80s and 90s to try and make things sound cool because it was dark. It later became associated with being dark to the point of unintentional parody. Rather than being cool it just makes people cringe.

Example: I am Vlad von Darkraven. My mother died in childbirth as I came into this world bathed in her blood. My father shot himself in horror at what I did and I was taken in by a family of bloodwolves who taught me to hunt. I killed my first man when I was three. Ripped his throat out with my teeth. Then I became an assassin for the Black Deathskulls, a criminal organization that deals in human sacrifice. It is my job to seduce women and capture them for the Black Deathskulls with my uncanny charm, but I never take any joy in it because of how pained I am over my role in their murder. Every time I take one I carve their name into my arm with a dagger made of black steel and shed tears of blood in their name.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends

mikesterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath:

Edgy as a slang term doesn't mean modern or advanced. It comes from the phrase "dark and edgy", which was used a lot in the 80s and 90s to try and make things sound cool because it was dark. It later became associated with being dark to the point of unintentional parody. Rather than being cool it just makes people cringe.

Example: I am Vlad von Darkraven. My mother died in childbirth as I came into this world bathed in her blood. My father shot himself in horror at what I did and I was taken in by a family of bloodwolves who taught me to hunt. I killed my first man when I was three. Ripped his throat out with my teeth. Then I became an assassin for the Black Deathskulls, a criminal organization that deals in human sacrifice. It is my job to seduce women and capture them for the Black Deathskulls with my uncanny charm, but I never take any joy in it because of how pained I am over my role in their murder. Every time I take one I carve their name into my arm with a dagger made of black steel and shed tears of blood in their name.

one day, I found a new target. She was some quirky high school cheerleader who lived across the street. Her name was Becky. I always tried to avoid her, because if I had had her killed next, the Authorities would become suspicious of me. The Black Deathskulls found out about her, and ordered me to bring her in. I confronted her, but she seemed happy to see me. They all are at first. As she talked to me, she twirled her hair. I tried to use my normal lines that worked on every other woman, but i couldn't Deliver, as if a frog was stuck in my throat. she noticed and gave me a smile that made me feel. I unsmoothly convinced her to get into the car with me. As she buckled her seat belt, I gave her a nerve pinch that rendered her unconscious. The drive to the Sanctuary of Death, felt like the longest one yet. She regained consciousness just as I pulled into the parking lot. She struggled, they all did, but I managed to bring her in. I opened the door and was welcomed by gregorioan chanting. I placed her on the altar, and a Black Deathskull appeared out of thin air. As he grabbed his blade, she managed to spit her gag out of her mouth.

"Nooo!" She yelled. It was nothing I haven't heard before, but for some reason, this one was different. Something came over me, and I grabbed the arm of the Black Deathskull with my teeth. Right before he plunge the dagger into her chest. before he could reac, I ripped his arm off, and he dissipa back into black smoke.

"We have to leave now." I told her as I untied her, but I could hear an army of them heading this way.

i know I just anime'd the crap outta your post...

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Marshall_Long

Nah. The terms are used out of context anyways. Basically if you have an anime avatar, you're automatically a weeb.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gotoucanario

Well Otaku actually means being obsessed with something... more or less. But I don't find the term insulting in the way it's used by most people. Weeb usually is used depreciatively when used on other people while other communities refer to themselves as weebs and are ok with it. It's all about the context and intent, I don't think they are inherently insulting in the way they are used nowadays.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like something a weeb would say

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a total weeb.

Sub >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dub any day of the week even if it's not from Japan.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sainguinexshadow: @metaljimmor: You children today have no idea how important risqué art was in the 80's and 90's in the war against censorship. Edgy is a legitimate adjective, kids just no longer rebel - your spirit is decrepit, the adults won.

edgy

informal

at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.

Avatar image for arranvidreturns
ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath:

I'm not a child. Just explaining why the word developed into a slang term and evolved the way it did.

Also, what you said is incredibly edgy. Ouch.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Weeb/Weeaboo is an insult, and always has been.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor: Someone uses the word sarcastically -> people who don't know what words mean or how easy it is to find out what words mean take it literally -> ignorance wins, flawless victory. It seems to have started on anime which is hilarious what with it being such strong case for dubbing over subbing. XD

I apologize for calling you a child, no-one deserves that.

Edgy is good. Edgy is the best. So I thank you.

Stan Rodriguez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you know the Japense exist at all you're automatically a Weeb, Weeaboo, and otaku. Don't question its just a plain simple fact

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath:

That is fair. Though it is also fair to point out that words can and do evolve over time. The word decimate is commonly used to refer to an almost complete destruction, where as it's actual definition was just the loss of 10% of an army's total forces. The word queer has mutated even more radically. To the point that I've had people get mad at me for using it in my writing to describe something unusual or odd because they assume it's a homophobic slur. I learned the word queer long before I learned what homosexuality is, but I had to basically remove it from my common lexicon because of it's more popular, modern use as a slang term.

But this is becoming an off-topic tangent at this point.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you're a wannabe Japanese, no.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath:

Not even frontin, I'd watch that.