#1 Edited by man_thing (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Who wins following challenges?

• Penalty shootout. De Gea in the goal.
  • Free Kicks
  • Dribbling
  • Sprinting from one end of ground and back with the ball.
  • Long shots on target
  • Header
  • Skill moves

#2 Posted by PurplePerson (844 posts) - - Show Bio

Penalties - Ronaldo edges it

Free Kicks - Messi easily

Dribbling - Messi

Sprinting - Ronaldo

Long shots on target - probably Messi but that’s because Ronaldo is usually trying to blast it, if he was just trying to hit the target then he might win

Header - Ronaldo by far

Skill moves - Ronaldo

#3 Posted by TheSuperor (5971 posts) - - Show Bio

• Penalty shootout. De Gea in the goal. - Messi generally misses more pens, so Ronaldo
  • Free Kicks - Messi
  • Dribbling - Messi
  • Sprinting from one end of ground and back with the ball. - Messi (Ronaldo maybe in his earlier years)
  • Long shots on target - Messi
  • Header - Ronaldo
  • Skill moves - Ronaldo

No doubt who is the greater player in general though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
#4 Posted by deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00 (10000 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Penalties : Ronaldo
  • Free Kicks : Messi
  • Dribbling : Messi
  • Sprinting with the ball : Messi
  • Long Shots : Ronaldo
  • Headers : Ronaldo
  • Skill Moves : Neither of them rely on that.

I believe Messi is a more complete player IMHO.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#5 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (14858 posts) - - Show Bio

Lionel Messi is the better footballer, Ronaldo is the better goal scorer.

Penalties - Ronaldo

Free Kicks - Messi

Dribbling - Messi

Sprinting with the ball - Messi

Long shots - Messi

Headers - Ronaldo

Skills - Ronaldo

#6 Posted by Eto (5147 posts) - - Show Bio

Messi all day every day.

#7 Posted by man_thing (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else?

#8 Posted by dark-sith123 (4826 posts) - - Show Bio

Penalties: Ronaldo.

Free kicks: Messi curbstomps.

Dribbling: The way in which Messi roflstomps Ronaldo cannot be described by words.

Sprinting: Five years ago, Ronaldo. Nowadays, Messi.

Header: Ronaldo by far.

Skill moves: Ehh, Messi.

#9 Posted by kroczilla (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

Penalty shootout. De Gea in the goal. Ronaldo easily

Free Kicks. Messi easily. which is kinda funny coz free kicks used to be Ronaldo 's thing.

Dribbling. Messi. it's not even close.

Sprinting from one end of ground and back with the ball. Ehhhh... I ll give it to Ronaldo by a really slim margin.

Long shots on target. Messi.

Header. Ronaldo curbstomps.

Skill moves. Messi

#10 Posted by FOSTINOE (631 posts) - - Show Bio

Penalty shoot out- Ronaldo

Freekicks- Ronaldo's got more freekicks under his belt and seeing as he's the man revolutionarized the term knuckleball freekicks, I'd say yh he's the best. Even when Messi scored (2 freekicks in a game)-->2X....we realise that Cristiano has scored (2 freekicks in a game)-->3X

Dribbling- Messi. No doubt. Ronaldo isn't far behind. I mean ferdinand.giggs.thiago Silva and martial....even rashFord all testify that Ronaldo was a dribbling maniac back then. It Doesn't dribble as much anymore though. Once in a while he does dazzle us. Lol. But yh. Messi.

Sprinting(with/without the ball) is Ronaldo. The speed of his footwork is unreal. Lol no one can match that. Not even Messi. With or without the ball, it's Cristiano. Acceleration with the ball is where Messi might take it imho.

Longshots on target-ronaldo. Ronaldo has more goals from outside the box than Messi...nuff said. lol.

Headers-cristiano Ronaldo. The best aerial player ever iyam.

Skills moves- Cristiano. Messi might be the best dribbler ever, but in terms of actual skills. Showboating, anklebreakers, nutmegs, making a fool of opponents accurately executing skills. LoL it's Cristiano. The only one he might lose to is neymar

I'd just like to add that people say Messi is the best and of course everyone has they're own opinion...I get it. But then claim Cristiano is not even close? That's just silly. I'm a Cristiano man and I've gotta admit...between the two, it's neck and neck in the race for GOAT OF THIS GENERATION.

Cristiano Ronaldo for his part is a more complete player than Messi.

He has more weak foot goals than Messi.

He has better physicals than Messi.

He has more penalty conversions than Messi.

He has more tap-ins than Messi

Has more outside the box long shot than Messi.

Has more headers than Messi

Has more speed than Messi

Has more freekicks than Messi.

Has more hat tricks than Messi.

Has shown more skills than Messi.

Stats

Has more overall career goals than Messi

Has more international goals than Messi

Has more league goals than Messi

Has more club goals than Messi

Has more club world cup goals than Messi.

Has more uefa champions league goals than Messi.

Has more world cup goals than Messi.

Is UCL all time top scorer.

Is UCL all time assister( even though people claim he isn't a playmaker or team player)

Is top international goalscorer in Europe!

Has 5 ballon dors( shared with Messi)

Regarded by sir Alex Ferguson as the greatest Man Utd player ever. And voted as the greatest Man Utd player ever.

Again regarded as the greatest premier league player ever.

Regarded as the greatest real Madrid player...rivalled only by di Stefano.

Statiscally the best player in all Europe by far.

Has won all the was to win in every country from englad today Spain and now Turin.

He is the most efficient player/goal scorer in la Liga history. Fastest to reach 300 goals.

Has the most hat tricks and most penalties taken.

And was the only one to ever score against every single team in a la Liga table.

He became the the first to reach a 100 goals for a club even though Messi had been playing in Spain for 5 years before he arrived. And he scored 105 goals in 101 games.

He's also won the Euro cup and got the silver boot for the competition as well. Whilst Messi is yet to win one for his country. LoL. I mean c'mon.

He even has the most Champions League wins. Has the most Champions League trophies in history.

And he's still hoping from place to place... adaptability is something Messi doesn't have. I mean take a look at Barcelona and his national team. Superstars...yet zilch to show for it.

Ronaldo is however the current European champion for both club and country.

And as at the end of 2018. He was top league scorer of two teams ranked 1st and 5th respectively. He was real Madrid top league scorer for the year. Even though he left in June. And he was also juventus' top league scorer even though he arrived in August.

And ever since his arrival in Spain he's been topscorer of the UCL 6 times! 7 overall! With crazy records to add!

Messi just has 5 to his name.

Greatest in Man Utd history.

Greatest in permier league history

Greatest in Real Madrid history

Greatest in Portugal's history

And soon to be greatest in Juventus' history.

The maths and stats never lie. Messi's stats and trophy case aren't this rich. Not even close. Lol.

You can have your opinion, just don't be an asshole and claim cr7 is far behind. It boarders on stupidity.

For me, he is the best player in europe.in goal scorring and assists!

He's the best active player. The best individual player. And the most adaptable player alive! Changing his style of play over the last 15 years. Across 4 countries. Lol.

He is the Goat! Sir Alex Ferguson thinks so. Mourinho thinks so. Zidane thinks so. Pele thinks so. Mancini thinks so. And even Diego Simeone the Argentine claims cr7 fits better with ordinary players than Messi. Messi needs world class players to be the best.

*Drops mic*

#11 Posted by PurplePerson (844 posts) - - Show Bio

@fostinoe:

he's the man revolutionarized the term knuckleball freekicks

That was Juninho Pernambucano, who was far better at free-kicks than either one of them.

GOAT OF THIS GENERATION

GOAT means greatest of all time. Greatest of this generation would be GOTG.

Cristiano Ronaldo for his part is a more complete player than Messi

Messi is a better passer

Messi works harder all over the pitch

Messi has better ball control

Messi is better in one-on-one situations

Messi shows better teamwork

Stats

In Messi's peak season (2011-12) he scored more goals than Ronaldo ever has in a season

He has a comfortably better goal-to-game ratio than Ronaldo

He has more assists than Ronaldo

In all the time they went head to head, Ronaldo won La Liga just twice compared to Messi's 6 times.

Greatest in Man Utd history

He had 3 great years at Man U at most. Guys like Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Law, Best and Charlton all did way more for the club.

Greatest in permier league history

Again, he had 3 great years. Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Henry, Vieira, Gerrard, Shearer and tons of other guys have a better claim than he does for this accolade.

Greatest in Real Madrid history

Arguably. Though as you pointed out, Di Stefano certainly rivals him.

And soon to be greatest in Juventus' history

Very unlikely. He may have a couple of great years there but it's hard to compare to the many years of service given by the likes of Platini, Del Piero and Buffon.

Pele thinks so.

Pele regards himself as though GOAT and Messi as better than Ronaldo -

“I would still stay with Messi. Scoring is important, no doubt, but if you do not have anyone to prepare, then the ball is not enough. For my team I prefer Messi. Messi's been the most stable in the last 10 years. As for Cristiano Ronaldo, he's a great goalscorer. Ronaldo's been able to score goals, while you see Messi creating goals and directing the play, as well as scoring. Ronaldo's a great goalscorer but in terms of the complete player, there's no doubt that Messi is the best."

I'm no Messi fan by the way, but you're doing what you accuse the other side of doing and that's acting like Messi's not even close when the truth is they are pretty much equal and it's OK to think either is better than the other.

#12 Posted by FOSTINOE (631 posts) - - Show Bio

@purpleperson:

Juninho was definitely the best. But it was definitely cr7 who revived and made it what it is in this modern era(over the last 15 years) him and Gareth and of course Roberto Carlos.

We all know the meaning of GOAT..thanks for the recap though. What you need to understand is there is no definitive GOAT. Thus, GOAT status varies with generation obviously. From Pele to Franz to di stafano to George best to cryuff to zidane to ronaldinho to messi/cr7. So no...it's not a matter of using "gotg" to segregate the meaning.when one uses GOAT in futbal, everyone knows it's generation exclusive.

Messi is a better passer...I could argue that out but it's unnecessary. I think what you meant to say was Messi has better vision.

True. all the attributes you gave Messi there are undoubtedly viable. Then again, when I speak of a player being complete, it begins first with individualism. And on that front cr7 takes it. Being a team player is undoubtedly messi's forte. Although cr7's last few games apres his move to juventus is starting to show promise in this aspect.lol

Messi did score more goals in a calendar year.

However cr7 proved most consistent when he was able to maintain an average of 50+ goals every year for the last 8 years when Messi didn't. Last year's "1 goal short tally" of this consistent landmark owes obviously to his transit and legal issues.

People keep pulling out the goal-to- game ratio card....which is neither here nor there cus he's still in the lead. It's like... Me: "hey gates, I made 50billion dollars and I'm only 26. Wait till I get to your age." 10 years later, I'm still lagging behind" so what was the point? Idk if you get me.

But lemme humor you. Career goal to game ratio goes to Messi.

After moving to Spain till his departure however, we realise this wasn't the case;

UCL

Cr7-101 games.105 goals. 28 assists. 6X top scorer. 9 seasons

Messi- 92 games. 83 goals. 20 assists. 14 seasons.5X top scorer

La Liga

Messi leading all round....nuff said.

Cristiano Ronaldo fastest to reach 100…150…200 and 300 la Liga goals. 311 in total.

Cr7 at Madrid 450 goals.438 appearances.

Based on analysis, it's easy for anyone to conclude that the reason for messi's career goal to game ratio owes to Cristiano Ronaldo being in Spain.

Lol. The great Alex Ferguson named the best player he's ever managed. From scholes to cantona etc, he said in his auto biography that cr7 was the greatest. I felt cantona was the greatest. But as he said, that's his opinion. Even the great George best felt cr7 was a greater legend than himself. Cantona acknowledged this, etc.

He has even been voted greatest Man Utd player of all time.

And gary lineker considers cr7 the greatest player to Grace the premier league...so do most pundits, and most polls. Club exclusivity however would see players like lampard and Henry win the title of greatest in their former clubs Chelsea and arsenal respectively.

Yep. As I said di Stefano is the only one capable of competing with cr7 at Madrid. He and puskas of course. Di Stefano to me is the greatest. But cr7's numbers makes it a debate. Lol

Lol.the love he's receiving from Turin was unforseen. They truly love the guy. And he's also in love with them. Owing to his physicals, we all know cr7 has over a decade left on his body before he retires. I think he can really make his mark on football in Italy.

PELE- "Ronaldo has come through for the past two or three years and is the best in Europe. I think at the moment no doubt Ronaldo is the best player, but until now Messi was the best."

"Ronaldo used to play more upfront, so I think for me Ronaldo is more important because he is the player who scores goals from the front"

"Two years ago, I gave the (Ballon d'Or) trophy to him (Ronaldo) and it was an honour for me,"

"The best player in the world? No doubt. As I have mentioned, I think that today there is no doubt the best player, the best scorer and the best forward is Cristiano Ronaldo."

Cross-check for yourself if you will. Then again I see Pele as an overhyped great. And doubt some of his numbers. I do consider him THE GOAT. But I don't validate his opinions. Be them of cr7 or Messi. He changes them anytime he likes. Case in point, messi's recent critique on not being a complete player. Absolute nonsense.

Actually I am not doing what the other side is doing. I stated my reason for doing this is to show that it is a debate, and that whomever you prefer, you have to admit the other isn't far off.lemme quote myself for you

"The maths and stats never lie. Messi's stats and trophy case aren't this rich. Not even close. Lol."

"You can have your opinion, just don't be an asshole and claim cr7 is far behind. It boarders on stupidity"

Hope that helps.

#13 Posted by Lord_Titan_ (2422 posts) - - Show Bio

penalties and dribbles are more important, so i think overall ronaldo edges it

#14 Posted by PurplePerson (844 posts) - - Show Bio

@fostinoe:

We all know the meaning of GOAT..thanks for the recap though. What you need to understand is there is no definitive GOAT. Thus, GOAT status varies with generation obviously. From Pele to Franz to di stafano to George best to cryuff to zidane to ronaldinho to messi/cr7. So no...it's not a matter of using "gotg" to segregate the meaning.when one uses GOAT in futbal, everyone knows it's generation exclusive.

I agree there's no definitive GOAT. There is just a group of best players in different eras, comparing players from different eras is very difficult.

People keep pulling out the goal-to- game ratio card....which is neither here nor there cus he's still in the lead. It's like... Me: "hey gates, I made 50billion dollars and I'm only 26. Wait till I get to your age." 10 years later, I'm still lagging behind" so what was the point? Idk if you get me.

I get you. What it shows is that Messi reached a world-class level at a younger age than Ronaldo did at least in terms of scoring goals. Ronaldo only had one season where he scored at a ratio of better than 0.5 goals per game before he was 25, whereas Messi was doing it consistently from the time he was 21.

Based on analysis, it's easy for anyone to conclude that the reason for messi's career goal to game ratio owes to Cristiano Ronaldo being in Spain.

I don't fully agree, though I do take your point. I think it is also to do with Messi reaching his peak at a younger age but it's also because Ronaldo was usually played as a traditional winger with both Van Nistelrooy and Rooney as forwards while at Man U, giving him less opportunity to score goals.

Lol. The great Alex Ferguson named the best player he's ever managed. From scholes to cantona etc, he said in his auto biography that cr7 was the greatest. I felt cantona was the greatest. But as he said, that's his opinion. Even the great George best felt cr7 was a greater legend than himself. Cantona acknowledged this, etc.

He has even been voted greatest Man Utd player of all time.

He is probably the best player Ferguson has ever managed or the most talented anyway but as I said 3 great years doesn't compare to the 10 or 20 that other players have given in my opinion. Why did George Best ever say this? Best died in 2005 when Ronaldo was still a promising youngster but far from the very best in the world.

Maybe he has been voted greatest Man U player of all time but the online lists that appeared when I Googled that usually rank him around number 10 which I think is more reasonable.

And gary lineker considers cr7 the greatest player to Grace the premier league...so do most pundits, and most polls. Club exclusivity however would see players like lampard and Henry win the title of greatest in their former clubs Chelsea and arsenal respectively.

Again, this is a close call. I Googled this as well and some people do say Ronaldo is the best, although Thierry Henry is probably the more popular choice from what I saw which I would agree with.

But I don't validate his opinions. Be them of cr7 or Messi. He changes them anytime he likes. Case in point, messi's recent critique on not being a complete player. Absolute nonsense.

Fully agree here. Pele was obviously a great player but he says a lot of silly things.

While I don't think all your points are fully accurate, I think we pretty much agree overall. Both are great and there is no definitive answer as to which one is better.

#15 Posted by FOSTINOE (631 posts) - - Show Bio

@purpleperson: i know you're not a Messi fanboy but you obviously like the guy. And tbh, you're the most reasonable one I've met till date. It's been a pleasure discussing with you mate.

As to the George best aspect, he's been quoted saying in an interview ......"there's been a lot of players described as the new George best, but this is the first time it's a compliment to me"

#16 Posted by PurplePerson (844 posts) - - Show Bio

@fostinoe: fair enough. I guess Best could spot great potential when he saw it.

#17 Posted by FOSTINOE (631 posts) - - Show Bio