• 54 results
black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 109

Edited By black_wreath

Just something I wrote to take my mind of some personal issues, I don't know if anyone here is interested in reading it but I hope so. I enjoyed writing it and I'd love to give other classic monsters similar treatments, if anyone is interested in that (please be interested in that).

Artist: Bob Kehl
Artist: Bob Kehl

Werewolves have always been my favourite monster, I was recently challenged to justify this by a hater questioning the actual quality of their contributions to pop culture. Maybe I went a tiny bit overboard but whatever... This is for you, Person From Another Site...

Why do I like them? I guess I'm fascinated by the idea of a feral, savage beast hiding inside even the meekest among us - and all it needs is something to push it out... all it needs is the right recipe of circumstances: being in the wrong place, being bit by the wrong animal and a full moon (something you can't run from) and then right there your body changes as does your life. Also, I like wolves. ^_^

Origins

No Caption Provided

It's hard to tell just how old the werewolf legend is as stories of humans turning into animals seem to have been around as long as stories themselves and peoples past have frequently sought to mimic animal behaviour as a survival/fighting advantage like the Viking Cult of Odin better known as the Berzerkers - skinwalkers who sought a level of supernatural savagery in battle they believed the hides or wolves (or bears) possessed. But as far as modern relevance goes let's look at when belief in them appears to have peaked - the Middle Ages. Some theories to explain the rise of the legend include superstitious folk looking for answers for people infected by rabies or perhaps finding mysteriously slaughtered livestock and looking inward rather outward naturally leading to, naturally, the Werewolf Trials.

From 1520 to 1630 many men were tried for Lycanthropy, there is no reliable number for how many as they were often combined with Witch Trials (often with their wives). Some notable historical "werewolves":

• "The Werewolf of Bedburg" Peter Stumpp murdered and ate 14 children (including his own son) and 2 pregnant women, he confessed to being a werewolf and practicing black magic since the age of 12. Having his flesh stripped with red-hot pokers, his limbs broken before being dismembered and beheaded, his execution is particularly brutal and tragic as his daughter was also flayed and executed - sadly, her only crime was being raped by him...
  • Pierre Burgot and Michel Verdun confessed to Lycanthropy in France 1521, Burgot claimed to meet 3 hooded figures during who coerced him into a life being a servent of the Devil with the ability to shapeshift into wolves, the serial killer team tore to pieces a young boy, a young girl and a woman (or at least that's just as much as I could find). A third man Philibert Montot was also named by Burgot but it is unknown whether or not he too confessed. All three were burned at the stake.
  • “The Werewolf of Dole” Gilles Garnier in France 1573, a hermetic, cannibalistic serial killer murdered and ate at least 4 children (likely) raw. In addition to being psychotic cannibal, he was also a devoted husband and often brought home left-overs for his wife. Garnier testified that it was a spectre gave him an ointment to acheive his wolf-form. Burned at the stake.
  • "The Werewolf of Angers"/"The Werewolf of Caud" Jacques Roulet in 1598 was found naked and bloody near the body of mutilated, partly eaten teenage boy which he confessed to have been responsible for among others. Notably his confession does not appear to have extracted via torture nor does he mention any deal with the Devil. Later judged to actually be insane he was not executed and instead sentenced to an asylum - times were changing, this is perhaps a special case of lycanthropy recognized as a mental illness and not a supernatural curse.
  • "The Wolf of Ansbach" is a peculiar case and my personal favourite, a legitimate wolf began preying on livestock in Ansbach (now Germany) in 1685 and later humans too. The townsfolk were adamant it was their deeply unpopular former Mayor (name unknown) in werewolf form... Interesting, but what's even more interesting is the fact that said Mayor was already dead... When the wolf was eventually hunted down and killed he was then dressed in human clothes, given a human mask made of human skin and hung from a pole no doubt as a warning to other dead former-Mayors in case they too were planning to come back from the dead in wolf-form.

Belief in werewolves seems to have evolved as an explanation for cannibalism. Those in history who popularized the legend were guilty of some truly heinous crimes, they murdered and ate their own kind, tortured and raped children - so we attributed wolf-like characteristics to these monsters to separate them from us, from people, as we couldn't possibly be capable of such atrocities - the grand irony being that in the wild, wolves do not do these things... It's people who do these things.

Black Wreath's Top Ten Favourite Werewolf Movies

Note: I decided not to include cross-overs. (Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, Underworld, umm Twilight etc...)

10. Bad Moon (1996)

No Caption Provided

This movie is very odd to me, the opening scene is like something from a Friday the 13th film with bewbs, blood and premarital sex and then suddenly turns into something remiscent of a child-friendly "boy and his dog" style movie... The story revolves around a heroic German Shepard's (named "Thor") mission to protect his human family from an invading werewolf who is, unknown to the family, the visiting uncle. It's surprising how well the film works considering an argument that the family dog himself is the actual main protagonist of the story but the movie is very enjoyable: I like the expressive, animatronic werewolf head and the tone has the perfect amount of cheese. The kicker? It also ends like Friday the 13th...

9. Wolf Cop (2014)

No Caption Provided

Wolf Cop is like Teen Wolf, only with more balls and is a fantastically entertaining low budget whose sequel this year I can't wait to see. The main thing it has in common with Teen Wolf is that the werewolf curse actually improves the life of the victim: Lou Garou (nice pun on loup-garou) is an alcoholic loser and an apathetic and incapable cop until (during one of his frequent benders) he is cursed with lycanthropy - not bitten, the curse is the result of a secret cult's black magic ritual. However, werewolf Lou basically ends up becoming a wolflike Dirty Harry (Dirty Hairy?) making him a kick-ass crime-fighter. Over the decades werewolf movies have shown transformation sequences focusing on the face, the back, the hands and the feet... This is the first time I remember seeing an upclose visual of a wolfman's pecker shapeshifting.

8. Curse of the Werewolf (1961)

No Caption Provided

One of the most beloved Hammer Studios films and, if my facts are indeed correct, first colour werewolf film (and shockingly, the only werewolf movie Hammer ever made). Based on the novel The Werewolf of Paris... even though the movie never leaves Spain... and features the most English "Spanish" people I've ever seen (but whatever, it's Hammer... "I swear I'm from Transylvania, old chap!") The Curse of the Werewolf follows the typical Hammer formula of hamminess, neon blood and a lot of talking before an epic, monsterrific finale (although personally I felt this one could've used a few more flaming torches). I love the werewolf design, especially its take on the ears even though that old Spanish shirt makes him look like a bit of a man-whore.

7. The Howling (1981)

No Caption Provided

To be fair, not all of The Howling has aged particularly well but I like seeing the mystery unravel and the third act is utterly awesome. This isn't Joe Dante's greatest horror movie but it still has his B-movie charm and the wolves look great in it in my opinion, plus you get to see a werewolf transform while hosting the news. One example of a horror movie I actually would love to see get a flashy remake today.

6. The Wolfman (1941)

No Caption Provided

The most iconic movie on here, no list would be complete without it. The Wolfman really cemented the werewolf condition as a tragic one, werewolf stories inspired by it almost always portrayed the victims infected as moral, decent human beings and unwilling participants in the transformation: poor Larry Talbot is already a sympathetic figure being in love with a woman who is taken and becomes a werewolf trying to defend her. The Wolfman to this day is still one of the best Universal Monster movies and is still worth a look, it's more sophisticated than people think: not only did establish much of werewolf mythology it also popularized the psychological explanation as the original ending even revealed Larry wasn't shapeshifter just a tortured psychopath with two mindsets: the gentle Man and the savage Wolf before it was decided audiences would prefer a literal Wolfman - but the possibility of lycanthropy being strictly a mental illness is discussed. The original horror icon and "Man of 1,000 Faces" Lon Chaney Sr. forbid his son from following in his footsteps and Jr. only took it up after his father had passed away, I always found it interesting whether the daddy issues prevalent in real life and on screen in this movie were coincidental or not.

5. Stephen King's Silver Bullet (1985)

No Caption Provided

Silver Bullet is tons of fun featuring typical King tropes, hokey performances and a certain particularly endearing breed of cheese I find irresistible. The film has its flaws but, to be honest, they're the kind that actually make me like it more for example: the monster effects aren't bad but I've seen better and the narration disappears for so long you forget it was ever a thing. Surprisingly I like the kids and I love the villain reveal but the movie really belongs to Gary Busey, he gives this all-or-nothing performance which by itself makes the movie worth watching.

4. Dog Soldiers (2002)

No Caption Provided

...I tend to assume if your intestines are hanging out, you're probably not going to make it but what do I know, I'm not a doctor. Dog Soldiers is a testosterone-fuelled British werewolf cousin of Predator and defintely one of the most cult-adored on the list, it's also cool to see a pre-Seaworth Liam Cunningham and a pre-Pennyworth Sean Pertwee as well as the always-great Kevin McKidd. The plot is thin but the execution is great.

3. An American Werewolf in London (1981)

No Caption Provided

The one that's supposed to number one. John Landis' benchmark film is probably the most universally-popular werewolf film out there and combines some amazing practical effects with humour and memorable use of popular songs. My favourite thing about the movie is the sharp twists in tone such as the opening at the Slaughtered Lamb, protagonists David Kessler and Jack Goodman seem to have gotten lost on their way to a college sex comedy ended up in a Hammer horror instead. The fish-out-of-water comedy plus the werewolf angst make it come off very original and essential viewing. Gotta love that ending.

2. The Company of Wolves (1984)

No Caption Provided

I wish I'd seen this one when I was a kid, it would've f***ed me up nice and good. The Company of Wolves is a dream-like film sewn together of numerous short segments into a big whimsical nightmare, it reminds of that old TV show Jim Henson's The Storyteller with John Hurt (if anyone remembers that) only creepier (if memory serves me correctly, no mean feat), the wolves very much look like puppets but damn they're scary ass-looking puppets. For a film that, in some respects, resembles a children's film this is exceptionally eerie and does not shy from the gruesome, the opening scene I still today find quite unsettling and I really admire this film for its commitment to depicting truly nightmarish fairy tales unflinchingly, something I wish Red Riding Hood had been willing to do. My favourite thing however, is just how creative and varied it gets with its transformation sequences. A work of art.

1. Ginger Snaps & Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed (2000 & 2004)

No Caption Provided

I'm counting them as one because I can't discuss the sequel without spoiling the original (and I wanted to put another movie on the list) but the fact I have to cheat to get all the movies I want on my list should be proof that this genre has plenty to offer and does not deserve to be the unloved child of horror some position it as. Ginger Snaps is not only the best werewolf movie but also the most creatively titled (though if you look above you'll realize that not really a difficult achievement), the film centers on two social outcast sisters Ginger and Bridgett Fitzgerald. Ginger is the rebellious leader, Bridgett is the awkward follower, both are morbid pariahs and and nothing can drive them apart until one night Ginger is attacked by a mysterious animal which just happens to coincide with her finally getting her first period. Ginger blossoms into becoming a woman the at same time she experiences a departure from humanity, leaving her younger sister Bridgett behind putting the once-inseparable siblings at odds with one another as Bridgett desperately tries to cure her sister, protector and best/only friend - who is becoming increasingly uninterested in remaining a part of the human race. The chemistry between Katharine Isabelle and Emily Perkins always feels real and the movie's one weakness (it's budget) is usually camouflaged expertly.

Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed is a movie I can't write about without spoiling the first one so continue at risk. The sequel follows Bridgett and her desperate attempts to stave off the werewolf infection while also haunted by the memory of her domineering sister. Placed on suicide watch in a facility Bridgette finds herself in the older sister role to the childlike Ghost. Emily Perkins' performance is awesome and the plot is unique within the subgenre my only complaint is the twist ending which I initially thought was cool but now feel Bridgette deserved a better ending after such compelling character development.

Honorable mentions

• Late Phases (2014): Late Phases is a wonderful film that surely would have made my Top Ten had I not already written it by the time I finally saw this, the highlight is Nick Damici's performance as Ambrose - a misanthropic, blind Vietnam veteran who realizes fairly quickly his new retirement village has werewolf lurking among it and the Lion-in-Winter prepares himself for one last fight in time for the next full moon. The father-son drama is compelling and the score is just beautiful, it also features one of the most epic transformation scenes I've seen outside of An American Werewolf in London. My only real complaint is the faces of the werewolves remind me of Gremlins.
  • Howl (2015): A train full of difficult archetype passengers breaks down at most inconvenient of locations during a full-mooned night and our group come to realize they're surrounded by a pack of werewolves closing in. I quite like this movie though it is frustrating for me as it features so much greatness amongst a few aspects I really didn't care for namely the designs of the wolves which look amazing from a distance but up close look like that mutant dog thing from Ninja Turtles II, not to mention the death of one character that should've been a more emotional moment is castrated by the ill-fitting music that accompanies it. What I liked: the premise is a simple yet awesome survival scenario and one scene in particular stands out as a favourite of mine - on board the train one character is suddenly pulled onto the roof by a wolf from above while the other passengers (and the viewer) are left to imagine in horror what is happening up there as the carriage starts shaking and blood begins pouring down the windows! Brilliant!
  • The Undying Monster (1942): A movie that definitely deserves to be on a higher pedestal, The Undying Monster is a gothic detective story that features some awesome atmospherics and haunting scenery that's right up there with what Universal were doing at the same time. It's about a detective duo trying to uncover a dark secret hiding within the Hammond estate, a Haunted Mansion-esque setting where everyone acts suspiciously. A surprising amount of spotlight is given to its female characters for a movie of this time period and in the opening scene Ms. Hammond grabs a gun in the opening scene with intent to shoot whatever is howling, she holds onto the weapon even when men (without guns, themselves) are in the scene and this is not portrayed as strange in anyway - refreshing to see in a Golden Age flick. I found the characters so compelling I didn't mind this has so little werewolf onscreen. Also features Marmarduke.

• Wer (2013): Shot in a kind of documentary style, Wer is set in the French countryside when a large hairy man is accused of some fairly brutal murders - our protagonist is his lawyer wishing use the man's rare medical condition to prove his innonence until medical testing accidently unleashes his inner Wolfman (and this movie is very much paying homage to The Wolfman) upon the city. Wer kind of brings the werewolf myth into a more modernized grounded light (and on that note - there's a lot of light since they can change during the day time in this), focusing on it as genetic mutation similar to how zombies have been treated as something of a contagious virus in the likes of 28 Days Later etc. The movie succeeds in bringing initial sympathy for the afflicted and boasts some exciting sequences but found-footage style formats aren't for everyone (though this is well shot, not your typical shaky cam) and personally though I do like The Wolfman I like my werewolves to be more than just really hairy guys.
  • Teen Wolf (1985): I wonder how many kids got hurt van-surfing, the shit people did before the internet. Interesting in that the werewolf curse is portrayed as a heriditary condition with no infection needed and also Michael J. Fox can change at will and it doesn't ruin his life, he becomes extremely popular due to it. If you like 80's teen comedies (I do) this might be your favourite but if you like seeing werewolves slaughter people (again, I do) this is not that kind of monster movie. Michael J. Fox carries this movie well enough but the kid playing his arch-rival... really sucks. Oh and there's that puberty thing I mentioned earlier, I like that too. (I want that "Obnoxious" t-shirt, I think I could pull that off well and it would give people ample warning.)
  • Wolfen (1981): Wolfen has many fans and while I think it is an interesting movie, working as a gritty old-school crime thriller but with a supernatural edge paying homage the legend of the Native American skin-walkers (it is certainly better than the movie Skin Walkers - very much absent from this list :P). My disappointment comes as a monster movie fan, we get many scenes from the wolf's point of view before we get to see it for ourselves and they're in Predator Vision style which in my experience is a way hype the monster's appearance only the pay-off is... a wolf! Just an every day wolf, no bigger than... an every day wolf!
  • Werewolf of London (1935): Holding the distinction of being the first werewolf movie (other than 1913 silent short The Werewolf which no longer exists), it was also a re-adaption Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Some claim it actually better than it's more famous succesor (though they aren't connected) The Wolfman, while I wouldn't go that far (the afflicted protagonist Henry Hull's arrogant Dr. Glendon considerably less likeable than loveable oaf Larry Talbot) but I will say that I like the make up better in this. Interestingly the werewolf is not reduced to all-out savagery here (he even gets dressed) and his attacks are motivated by emotion not bloodlust.
  • Cry of the Werewolf (1944): Often over-looked, it's actually a pretty interesting mash-up of and old-school crime flick with some gothic horror scenes thrown in the mix. Some nice moody scenes almost Cat People-esque, I absolutely adore the use of shadow. Features a beret that is worn so tilted it's almost vertical, beauty was pain back then. Also, a cat repeatedly features.

Comics

In no particular order.

Wolf Moon by Cullen Bunn

No Caption Provided

Wolf Moon is an exceptional Vertigo series about a werewolf hunter named Dillion Chase obsessively following the trail of a werewolf having previously suffered great tragedy because of it. The most notable appeal of Wolf Moon is what it introduces to the mythology: Dillion isn't hunting the monster, he's hunting the curse itself... The difference between this depiction and traditional ones is that no infection is required to become a wolf - the curse takes victims at random once a moon cycle which leaves Dillon a tiny window of time to operate and a moral dilemma since those changing shape do so with no warning - they are as innocent a victim as those they kill who are left haunted by the guilt and trauma of what they involuntarily did as the Wolf - one particularly memorable quote being "The Wolf doesn't just reshape flesh and bones. It reshapes lives." All of this coupled with the fact that this is one of most formidible werewolves I've seen depicted, proving to be considerably difficult to kill and quite visually terrifying too. The serious treatment of the subject matter, near impossible challenge presented to the protagonist, the fact I really felt the emotional toil the characters have gone through and, maybe best of all, the beautifully gruesome artwork make Wolf Moon my personal favourite werewolf comic. Totally recommended!

Werewolves on the Moon: Versus Vampires by Dave Land & the Fillbach Brothers

No Caption Provided

With the Moon being so important to werewolf lore, it's amazing no-one thought to actually put them on it until this. In the not to distant future, three werewolves (dimwitted ones) stow away on aspace flight to a colony on the Moon and causing major problems for the humans onboard until a mutual, pre-existing threat reveals itself... Turns out, vampires were already living on the dark side and of course a war breaks out. Werewolves on the Moon's premise is amusingly stupid and its dialogue made me chuckle on more than a few occasions. What it lacks in subtlety it makes up for in its talent for effective irreverant, lowbrow humour and would honestly make for a fun animated film. Honestly, a really entertaining book.

The Werewolf of New York by Batton Lash

No Caption Provided

No he's not that big in it. The Werewolf of New York is set in the Supernatural Law world where monsters are real and recognized as citizens. But being monsters of course, that means they're probably going to need lawyers sooner or later, Wolff & Byrd represent supernatural beings, the main focus of the story is the trial of a werewolf named Leon Reed and subsequent rehabilitation (and subsequent relapse due to the People for the Rights, Interests, and Concerns of Shapeshifters - or PRICS for short). Very David E. Kelley. But with monsters.

Werewolves by "Alice Carr"

No Caption Provided

Maybe not technically a comic book but an illustrated book nonetheless, I'm including it just because I love it. Werewolves is comprised of the diary entries and sketches of a young girl named Alice who (along with her brother Mark) have been bitten and infected by the werewolf curse and their subsequent joining of a werewolf pack the journal entries and the sketches serving as second-hand relivings of the experience through Alice's eyes and memories including her mentorship under the Alpha of the pack, dealings with werewolf hunters and how she handles the sight of the poor treatment her brother recieves becoming the Omega of the group. The book handles like the printed equivalent of a found-footage film, like a werewolf Chronicle but on page even including nice touches of realism like sketches drawn to reflect varying moods/care in detail, scribbled out words to reflect frustration and the book is even credited to the fictional "Alice Carr". I found this to be a very interesting find.

Full Moon by Jeff Zornow

No Caption Provided

Full Moon is a short story as a part of Image's Horror Book compilation in conjunction with Cryptic magazine. A neat little Gothic horror/dark fantasy-action story, this one takes place in the Carpathian Mountains under the curse of an insidious vampire princess named Wandessa who torments the human population with her monstrous undead servants. When she targets the townsfolk children, the local priest decides to fight monsters with monsters and employs the help of a werewolf with no name to save them. Wandessa throws all her evil in his way as the wolf runs through a gauntlet of zombies, giant spiders, giant bats, a beautifully over-the-top, two-headed, steampunk Frankenstein's monster and naturally the vampire princess herself. I love the designs and the classic Universal-esque imagery and the battles are thrilling too.

LycAnthems

• Bad Company: Running with the Pack
  • Blue Öyster Cult: Subhuman
  • Bobby Vinton: Blue Moon
  • The Cramps: I Was a Teenage Werewolf
  • Creedance Clearwater Revival: Bad Moon Rising
  • David Bowie: Changes
  • Dead Kennedys: Dog Bite
  • Disturbed: The Animal
  • Duran Duran: Hungry Like the Wolf
  • Five Man Electrical Band: Werewolf
  • Fiona Apple: Werewolf
  • Grace Slick: Full Moon Man
  • Heart, Ann & Nancy Wilson: Wolf
  • Heather Alexander: Wolfen One
  • Iced Earth: Wolf
  • INXS & Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders: Full Moon, Dirty Hearts
  • Kansas: Howling at the Moon
  • The Marcels: Blue Moon
  • Metallica: Of Wolf and Man
  • Metallica: Am I Savage
  • Misfits: We Bite
  • Misfits: Wolf's Blood
  • Moonspell: Full Moon Madness
  • Moonspell: Lickanthrope
  • Moonspell: Sanguine
  • Moonspell: Wolfshade (A Werewolf Masquerade)
  • Moonspell: Wolves from the Fog (you can probably tell Moonspell like werewolves...)
  • Nazareth: Hair of the Doghe omen
  • Ozzy Osbourne: Bark at the Moon
  • Queens of the Stone Age: Someone's in the Wolf
  • Radiohead: Wolf at the Door
  • Rainbow: Wolf to the Moon
  • Rob Zombie: Werewolf Baby!
  • Sam Cooke: Blue Moon
  • Sam the Sham & the Pharoahs: Little Red Riding Hood
  • Shakira: She Wolf
  • Six Feet Under: Lycanthropy
  • Special Poetry Slam: Werewolf
  • Sonata Arctica: Ain't Your Fairytale
  • Sonata Arctica: Full Moon
  • Tragically Hip: I'm a Werewolf, Baby
  • Type O Negative: Wolf Moon
  • Van Morrison: Moon Dance
  • The Vision Bleak: Wolfmoon
  • Warren Zevon: Werewolves of London
  • The Young Werewolves: Under the Full Moon

Obligatory Cat Picture

AROOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
AROOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Dog Soliders is an awesome movie.

I used to be really into werewolves when I was younger....don't know why. There was this old computer game that was about werewolves called "Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within" that I played when I was very young, scared the crap out of me. If you are into werewolves....you should definitely check it out.

Also, I believe The Misfits song, which is one of my favorites actually, is about turning into/ being a wolf

Loading Video...

There was also a show called "Big Wolf on Campus" I watched when I was young about a dude who was a werewolf....it was essentially a low budget Smallville with A wolfman instead of Superman....lol, it was very corny.

Yeah, I like werewolves. Werewolves are cool....

Loading Video...

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: I wholeheartedly agree that werewolves are cool. :)

I'm a poor excuse for a gamer but I do like old games, I might seek it out. If I were more knowledgeable on games I might've added a Video Game section since werewolves have appeared in a few: Killer Instinct, Darkstalkers, the whole Bloody Roar franchise is basically. Plus Sonic was one once.

Thanks for those songs, I'll add them to the list.

And thanks for commenting. ^_^

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not what I expected but it was a cool read.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By black_wreath

@major_hellstorm: Thank you Major! ^_^

...though I am curious what you were expecting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2b0053414c5
deactivated-5a2b0053414c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Ah man this is real cool. Always like werewolves ever since I saw this awesome statue of one outside the museum of torture in San Gimignano while working in Italy.

Can't wait to see more, call me out for the next

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: No problem.

I was expecting more real life folklore, and I wasn't expecting movie recommendations (which was cool since I haven't heard of any of the ones you mentioned).

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@queen_marceline: No but having just looked it up, I want to. That art is gorgeous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2b0053414c5
deactivated-5a2b0053414c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@queen_marceline: No but having just looked it up, I want to. That art is gorgeous.

Yeah, it was an enjoyable read... so long as you don't mind more of the darker stuff in it.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah man this is real cool. Always like werewolves ever since I saw this awesome statue of one outside the museum of torture in San Gimignano while working in Italy.

Can't wait to see more, call me out for the next

Museum of Torture huh? You certainly know how to holiday. ;)

Thanks so much for the praise, I haven't decided what the next one will be just yet but I will be sure to shout you out. :)

@black_wreath: No problem.

I was expecting more real life folklore, and I wasn't expecting movie recommendations (which was cool since I haven't heard of any of the ones you mentioned).

I didn't want to spend too long on the folkloric roots because... there's just so much there and it's a niche subject matter as it is. It was originally just a movie list but then I thought I might finally attempt to step out of the box.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By black_wreath

@black_wreath said:

Yeah, it was an enjoyable read... so long as you don't mind more of the darker stuff in it.

Hey if I wasn't into darker stuff, I wouldn't be so into werewolves. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Yeah there would be a lot to talk about but folklore and mythology is cool to talk about. You stepping out of the box was great, I was actually (pleasantly) surprised to see you list comic books as well.

Also ditto on the tagging me if you make more of these threads.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Yeah I'm going cave diving in Slovenia in October :-)

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Yeah there would be a lot to talk about but folklore and mythology is cool to talk about. You stepping out of the box was great, I was actually (pleasantly) surprised to see you list comic books as well.

Also ditto on the tagging me if you make more of these threads.

I appreciate that. I just wish I'd read Werewolf By Night first...

I will be sure to tag you and delve further into the mythology next time.

@black_wreath: Yeah I'm going cave diving in Slovenia in October :-)

Oh cool. You should watch The Descent first. ;)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Nah, down this before, I know the dangers.

This is what I'm hoping to see

No Caption Provided

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a poor excuse for a gamer but I do like old games, I might seek it out. If I were more knowledgeable on games I might've added a Video Game section since werewolves have appeared in a few: Killer Instinct, Darkstalkers, the whole Bloody Roar franchise is basically. Plus Sonic was one once.

I'm not much of a gamer either, however, when I was very young my best friend's father was some sort of computer programmer and he had a bunch of PC games and the game I mentioned was one of them. It was part of a "point and click" genre of computer games that was very popular at that time. The game was sort of mystery/thriller....very cool for its day, probably not as impressive now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

What about skinwalkers?

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Nah, down this before, I know the dangers.

This is what I'm hoping to see

No Caption Provided

And somehow you post the creepiest thing in this blog...

@black_wreath said:

I'm not much of a gamer either, however, when I was very young my best friend's father was some sort of computer programmer and he had a bunch of PC games and the game I mentioned was one of them. It was part of a "point and click" genre of computer games that was very popular at that time. The game was sort of mystery/thriller....very cool for its day, probably not as impressive now.

Ah yes, I know the ones you're talking about. I've never played one of those.

@hyiena said:

What about skinwalkers?

The movie? Wasn't a fan, sorry.

The real ones? I probably should've talked about them.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was an excellent post. Well structured and informative. I too enjoy the werewolf. Probably my favorite of the classical movie monsters (Though Creature from the Black Lagoon was my favorite Universal Studios monster. Sadly he seems to have disappeared from pop culture completely).

The Wolfman remake was a pretty good movie too. Much better than people give it credit for. I loved the modern werewolf design from it, and the atmosphere was really strong.

I wouldn't be opposed to being tagged in the future if you make other similar posts.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided
Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jonez_

BOMBUHBUHBOMBUHBOMBUHBOMBOMBUHBUHBOMBUHBUHFADANGADENGDENGFADINGADONGDING blue moon

love that movie

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Holo is best werewolf... Wait... Technically she was a wolf first... Does that make her a werehuman?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath:

You should check out the classic World of Darkness, Werewolf: The Apocalypse line of tabletop games and novels.

They are some kind of awesome.

Also, The Wolf Gift, by Anne Rice is pretty good.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was an excellent post. Well structured and informative. I too enjoy the werewolf. Probably my favorite of the classical movie monsters (Though Creature from the Black Lagoon was my favorite Universal Studios monster. Sadly he seems to have disappeared from pop culture completely).

The Wolfman remake was a pretty good movie too. Much better than people give it credit for. I loved the modern werewolf design from it, and the atmosphere was really strong.

I wouldn't be opposed to being tagged in the future if you make other similar posts.

Thanks so much, I was afraid no-one would care. :)

If you want more Gill-Man movies I would suggest you support the new Mummy movie, an Easter egg in it definitely indicates a Creature from the Black Lagoon movie is coming soon. Last I heard ScarJo might be cast in it, probably not as Gill-Man though...

The last time I saw the 2010 Wolfman was in 2010 at the cinema. From what I remember it had some good gothic scenes in it but I also remember being super pissed about all the CGI after they told Fangoria they brought in the best practical effects artists working today. Maybe I'll give it another chance, I do love the cast after all.

I am satisfied with the response, I will definitely do more, you shall be tagged. :)

You disappoint me, I was hoping you had a werewolf Lynda Carter in your vast arsenal. :(

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Hawaii Werewolf is pretty cool, he hangs out with a drug dealing shark.....

No Caption Provided
black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez_ said:

BOMBUHBUHBOMBUHBOMBUHBOMBOMBUHBUHBOMBUHBUHFADANGADENGDENGFADINGADONGDING blue moon

love that movie

I knew I forgot a song!

Holo is best werewolf... Wait... Technically she was a wolf first... Does that make her a werehuman?

No Caption Provided

Eh, a canine shapeshifter is a canine shapeshifter. I was going to add a TV spotlight on Wolf's Rain at one point.

@black_wreath:

You should check out the classic World of Darkness, Werewolf: The Apocalypse line of tabletop games and novels.

They are some kind of awesome.

Also, The Wolf Gift, by Anne Rice is pretty good.

I am afraid I have never played a table top game in my life. Unless board games are the same thing... (Is ignorant)

I would love to read Anne Rice's stuff but I am so bad at reading novels, it can take me ages to finish a page because I get distracted so easily. Maybe it's ADHD?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@black_wreath:

Eh, a canine shapeshifter is a canine shapeshifter. I was going to add a TV spotlight on Wolf's Rain at one point.

I suppose, though she's probably more of a nature spirit than anything. Definitely has a lot more in common with Bigby wolf than wolves rain or lycanthropes.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath:

I suppose, though she's probably more of a nature spirit than anything. Definitely has a lot more in common with Bigby wolf than wolves rain or lycanthropes.

Yeah I was pretty torn as to whether Fables qualified as a werewolf comic.

AirDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

User Lists: 15

Well...that was quite comprehensive!

No Caption Provided

I salute you. That's dedicated research!

I've always liked Ozzy's Bark at the Moon. Werewolves scare the crap outta me - there could be werewolves. Of all the monsters, werewolves are the most realistic.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@airdave said:

Well...that was quite comprehensive!

No Caption Provided

I salute you. That's dedicated research!

I've always liked Ozzy's Bark at the Moon. Werewolves scare the crap outta me - there could be werewolves. Of all the monsters, werewolves are the most realistic.

Thanks so much man, I've loved them since I was a kid. :)

Yep Ozzy rules. \m/

They're scary because they are real... >:)

No Caption Provided

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor said:

If you want more Gill-Man movies I would suggest you support the new Mummy movie, an Easter egg in it definitely indicates a Creature from the Black Lagoon movie is coming soon. Last I heard ScarJo might be cast in it, probably not as Gill-Man though...

The last time I saw the 2010 Wolfman was in 2010 at the cinema. From what I remember it had some good gothic scenes in it but I also remember being super pissed about all the CGI after they told Fangoria they brought in the best practical effects artists working today. Maybe I'll give it another chance, I do love the cast after all.

I am satisfied with the response, I will definitely do more, you shall be tagged. :)

I was going to see it but I only have so much money to allocate to movies, and The Mummy is competing with Wonder Woman right now. Just too many movies I want to see coming out this year, it's madness!

I'll look into that Gill-Man movie though. I am a huuuge Creature fan. I even met the original leads of the first Creature from the Black Lagoon and got their autographs. I've been pretty bummed that we've gone through four The Mummy movies, several Dracula reboots including the new Untold, and The Wolfman, and still no Creature movie. lol

I honestly don't remember that much CGI in The Wolfman. The costume was done in practical effects. Just the transformations and the whole 'running through London' bits stand out, but it's been a long time since I saw it, and I honestly don't care about CGI as long as it's not awful CGI.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Yeah it's a cute little cave dragon known as the Olm

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath said:
@metaljimmor said:

I was going to see it but I only have so much money to allocate to movies, and The Mummy is competing with Wonder Woman right now. Just too many movies I want to see coming out this year, it's madness!

I'll look into that Gill-Man movie though. I am a huuuge Creature fan. I even met the original leads of the first Creature from the Black Lagoon and got their autographs. I've been pretty bummed that we've gone through four The Mummy movies, several Dracula reboots including the new Untold, and The Wolfman, and still no Creature movie. lol

I honestly don't remember that much CGI in The Wolfman. The costume was done in practical effects. Just the transformations and the whole 'running through London' bits stand out, but it's been a long time since I saw it, and I honestly don't care about CGI as long as it's not awful CGI.

Ah well if that's the case I cannot, in good conscience, recommend The Mummy over Wonder Woman. Yes I am already feeling blockbuster fatigued.

Wow, Julie Adams is still alive. O_O

http://www.geekexchange.com/news/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-remake-is-still-happening/

Also hard for me remember the Wolfman, mostly all I remember is thinking that the wolf effects simply didn't look how I thought they should. At that age I was stubbornly adamant that CGI had no place in horror.

@black_wreath: Yeah it's a cute little cave dragon known as the Olm

Well I wish you luck in the dragon cave, brave knight.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read this a while back and didn't post then but I will now because even reading it again, I was very entertained. Werewolves are pretty cool, eh?

Nice job, Down Under Man/Cat.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

I read this a while back and didn't post then but I will now because even reading it again, I was very entertained. Werewolves are pretty cool, eh?

Nice job, Down Under Man/Cat.

Oh awesome, I am glad you enjoyed it. Yes, these guys meant more to me as a kid than any superhero.

Thanks heaps, Queen of Canada. :)

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@black_wreath: I died a little that Werewolf by Night nor Astounding Wolf Man were in your comic list. Died a little.

I do agree, out of the monsters, Werewolves are my favorite.

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yep Werewolves are awesome. I was surprised not to see the movie "Wolf" listed up above, you know the one with Jack Nicklson.

There is another one that was a bit of a cult classic as well that I can think of, except the title escapes me at the moment.

Native American culture is also deeply steeped with legends of skin changers, shifters and the like.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: I died a little that Werewolf by Night nor Astounding Wolf Man were in your comic list. Died a little.

I do agree, out of the monsters, Werewolves are my favorite.

I was hoping nobody would point that out lol.

There's a Werewolf By Night collection at my local I've wanted for ages but it's thick as a brick and almost $200, that's quite an investment of money and attention for someone lacking in both departments so I continually puss out of buying it. Plus despite asking in the past, no-one until you on CV would recommend the series.

Astounding Wolf Man, I just... simply never came across. Sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for commenting. :)

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@black_wreath: Did a quick search and found the film I was thinking of. "The beast must die" 1974 staring Peter Cushing, and Calvin Lockhart. Defiantly one worth checking out.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep Werewolves are awesome. I was surprised not to see the movie "Wolf" listed up above, you know the one with Jack Nicklson.

There is another one that was a bit of a cult classic as well that I can think of, except the title escapes me at the moment.

Native American culture is also deeply steeped with legends of skin changers, shifters and the like.

Just didn't make the grade, sorry. I had to stop somewhere. Also I haven't seen that one in sooo long.

Project Metalbeast? Cursed? Werewolf: Beast Among Us? Blood and Chocolate? Never Cry Werewolf? Red Riding Hood? I was a Teenage Werewolf? The Beast Must Die? Legend of the Werewolf? Skin Walkers? Umm... Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban??

I intended to include a bit on Navajo skin-walkers but it slipped my mind in the end.

Thanks for the comment. :)

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Did a quick search and found the film I was thinking of. "The beast must die" 1974 staring Peter Cushing, and Calvin Lockhart. Defiantly one worth checking out.

Definitely in my watch list. Peter Cushing, hell yeah.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Astounding Wolfman is 4 graphic novels long, cheap, but so much fun. Think Wolf Cop on a world of heroes, and not a drunk, but he gets a werewolf army lol. It's by Robert Kirkmen too. You would like it.

As for Werewolf by Night one day lol.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Astounding Wolfman is 4 graphic novels long, cheap, but so much fun. Think Wolf Cop on a world of heroes, and not a drunk, but he gets a werewolf army lol. It's by Robert Kirkmen too. You would like it.

As for Werewolf by Night one day lol.

Hopefully I can find them, thanks for the recommendation sounds pretty entertaining lol.

...One day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver Bullet is my favorite werewolf movie. Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid though :(

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I desperately hope the Dark Universe Wolf Man movie is good.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Silver Bullet is my favorite werewolf movie. Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid though :(

Ah good to hear, I love it too. Hugely entertaining movie.

Thanks for commenting. :)

I'm very curious to see what they do with it. Dwayne Johnson is an interesting choice (if they can get him), personally I would've loved to see Hugh Dancy as Larry Talbot.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very curious to see what they do with it. Dwayne Johnson is an interesting choice (if they can get him), personally I would've loved to see Hugh Dancy as Larry Talbot.

Given how poorly The Mummy is doing in theaters, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dark Universe is already over.

Shame, I really wanted the Dark Universe to be a success. I love the Universal Monsters, and wanted to see how the Dark Universe would end up. But I think it's time to face the fact that we won't.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath said:

Given how poorly The Mummy is doing in theaters, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dark Universe is already over.

Shame, I really wanted the Dark Universe to be a success. I love the Universal Monsters, and wanted to see how the Dark Universe would end up. But I think it's time to face the fact that we won't.

Eh I assume Universal can afford it, they'd be stupid to throw in the towel before giving it a real go. I knew the movie was in trouble pretty early, it was getting picked on by sites from the start.

When WB announced a DC shared universe it was met with sharp hostility from the media too, I don't know why. WB has 3 other shared universes that escaped wide-spread criticism (obviously King Arthur not included), the random extreme love/hate reactions to these projects confuses me.

The Invisible Man is next I think, that should fare better as I don't think many people have the same nostalgic feelings for Kevin Bacon's Hollow Man they have for the '99 Mummy so it has that factor over this movie.