Could you forgive a criminal who hurt you personally?

• 60 results
Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

For example, what if a criminal murdered you father? Or raped one of your family members?

Prisons are supposed to rehabilitate people, right? And they work, right? So why wouldn't you forgive them?

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By KingVenus

Depends on the situation in which i'm placed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

transcendence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nada.

Beata

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For example, what if a criminal murdered you father? Or raped one of your family members?

Prisons are supposed to rehabilitate people, right? And they work, right? So why wouldn't you forgive them?

1. I don't want to actually infer that I would forgive him/her because it didn't happen. If I am to imagine it'd still be an uncertain answer because of the difference of what you've imagined than what you've actually seen and felt.

2. Prisons are actually a punishment. I do not perceive it as to rehabilitate people because in some cases after they bailed out they still tend to do the same crime over and over again.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By nefarious

After awhile, I would.

I would just hope that they will feel the wrath of karma.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You mean, pray for their souls in the afterlife. Right?

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes but he's still going to jail. I don’t want them to kill him though, it's an easy way out anyway.

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under those goddamn conditions?!

Nah.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me? Maybe.

However, hurting me by hurting someone I love (like you mentioned), HECK no. I mean, the question should be would you let them live after hours of torture, let alone forgiveness.

But, nah. Never forgive.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 SC  Moderator

I don't really take things personally, so it would be pretty easy to be forgiving for me, some situations would be harder than others, like if someone hurt my baby sister. Then again what if my baby sister makes a mistake one day and hurts someone too? I would want people to forgive her as well. Too much pain and suffering in the world to add to it when understanding and compassion do far more to heal and help people, including loved ones, in the long run. Forgiveness also often has more positive effects for the person giving forgiveness as well as opposed to not granting it.

Also prisons purposes are multifold, not always rehabilitation, sometimes rehabilitation, sometimes punishment, sometimes to isolate and separate from greater society, sometimes to be confined to limit destructive/dangerous behavior, and sometimes to provide cheap employees. Usually some combination with overlap. Not all prisons effectiveness at rehabilitation matches others either, so its a strange question to answer. Its like asking if all businesses are ethical.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any Christian that says no should forfeit their religion.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: why bother calling yourself Christian when you abandon one of Christ's central dogmas?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d568743bdb8
deactivated-57d568743bdb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The situation needs more detail.

But no. I wouldn't forgive him for murdering my father.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: that's all fine and good, and I'm not doubting that you try to be a good person. But I don't see how that's relevant to what I said.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SC  Moderator

@theacidskull: Its okay if you do not want to answer the following, its a tough question or even hypothetical to think about. What if someone you cared about deeply, family, loved ones, found themselves in the position of making a mistake and hurting someone else? Like if your son or daughter got upset one night, drank too much and ended up killing someone in a drunk driving accident?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SC  Moderator

@theacidskull: You wouldn't worry that you might push them away and hurt them, if you can't balance scolding then with sympathizing with them? Or that by trying to ensure they never make that same mistake again, you push them down a road where they end up making more mistakes? Would you forgive your children?

Oh heh heh I think you would make an incredible father to your children to be sure, especially as far as intentions and honesty is good, always good.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Christians are obligated to follow Christ's teachings by definition. Forgiveness is one of if not his most central teaching. To willingfully abandon it is to stop following his teachings.

So I repeat, to abandon forgiveness is to abandon Christianity.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Depends on the crime. Rape/Murder = Hell no, i'd rape and murder the offender right back and still not be satisfied.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

What if someone you cared about deeply, family, loved ones, found themselves in the position of making a mistake and hurting someone else? Like if your son or daughter got upset one night, drank too much and ended up killing someone in a drunk driving accident?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I want to answer because its an interesting question!

My father is an impatient man. One day we were waiting in line at the mall and he made a rude comment to the lady in front of him. He said something like "The next register is open, hurry the f___ up you stupid b___.", being complexly oblivious that anyone in a 2 meter vicinity could hear him. The man behind us smacked my father in the back of the head and his dentures flew out of his mouth. I got aggressive in defence of my father. I was angry at my father for being rude and I was angry at the several people ganging up on us. Its love that compels us to forgive our own and defend them whenever they need us.

With that said, I would be mad as all hell at my son or daughter and eventually accept whatever sentence they receive, but in a sense I'd be compelled to forgive them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Under those conditions? No.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: there is a difference between trying to forgive and willingfully abandoning forgiveness as a concept altogether.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SC  Moderator

@theacidskull: Thanks for answering. I know this might seem like a silly question, because your children are your children, but basically you would forgive them, but not other people, not other peoples children… so you would be more forgiving of your children because they are yours and so attached to you personally? If its still yes, thats fine too, its a pretty common idea/approach, I actually think the majority of people tend to think that way. I don't know though, doesn't seem like thats actually the best approach for anyones children.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Christ himself was never anti-gay. Most anti-gay sentiments in the Bible are Old Testament.

I don't understand why you're trying to dodge the fact that Christ himself pleaded with man to forgive. This is literally one of the pillars of Christianity. Some would say the entire point of the religion is about forgiveness. It is literally what Christ purportedly died for. Also, according to scripture, as he was put to death he called upon God to forgive his killers.

It is fine to not be able to forgive in all cases, obviously. You are right that we are human. But to not be dedicated to at least attempt (key word) to carry out Christ's mission is to forfeit the religion entirely. If you cannot forgive then you should ask for forgiveness.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: my original comment was about people who are not willing to try, not about people who try to forgive and fail. I wasn't getting the impression that people in the thread saying no were trying.

MUFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope,I am all for eye for an eye concept.

MUFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope,I am all for eye for an eye concept.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SC  Moderator

@monsterstomp said:

@sc said:

What if someone you cared about deeply, family, loved ones, found themselves in the position of making a mistake and hurting someone else? Like if your son or daughter got upset one night, drank too much and ended up killing someone in a drunk driving accident?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I want to answer because its an interesting question!

My father is an impatient man. One day we were waiting in line at the mall and he made a rude comment to the lady in front of him. He said something like "The next register is open, hurry the f___ up you stupid b___.", being complexly oblivious that anyone in a 2 meter vicinity could hear him. The man behind us smacked my father in the back of the head and his dentures flew out of his mouth. I got aggressive in defence of my father. I was angry at my father for being rude and I was angry at the several people ganging up on us. Its love that compels us to forgive our own and defend them whenever they need us.

With that said, I would be mad as all hell at my son or daughter and eventually accept whatever sentence they receive, but in a sense I'd be compelled to forgive them.

Thanks and thank you for sharing. Oh man sorry to hear about that with you, that would have been a tough situation to be in, I have an aggressive aunt who did something similar at a McDonalds, she actually smacked the lady at the counter with her Happy Meal and then left, I was around 11, was really awkward as we left. We left fast though so sounds easier than your situation.

A bit more seriously, my biological father was a drunk and abuser, towards myself, towards my mother. Physical, mental, emotional, psychological and sexual abuse. Ongoing for years. Completely ruined most of her adult life, and because my family is very traditional culturally and religious, my mothers family, they knew but they didn't do anything, because the father had that right as patriarch, as the head of the household. No matter how bad it got, they looked the other way. Got to such a high and consistent level of abuse if his actions were known he would have ended up in prison for a long time but he ended up committing suicide when he started to realize that neighbors were becoming aware as well. I wasn't always the way I am now, I use to hate him, a coward who beat woman and children, as I child I even attacked him a few times. The idea of forgiving him… seemed so bizarre. I also had resentment towards my mother for keeping is in that situation. I ended up studying domestic and child abuse a lot in my teen years, psychology, mental illness, drug addiction, various other things. Family history as well. My father was a very ill man mentally, will never justify or excuse his actions, but the more I understood that such things happen to others, the cycle of violence, how it can happen to people, including possibly myself, how mental illness has a stigma and how many men specifically do not seek help/advice in this regard, well the more I felt I understood my father. In an ideal world he would have been diagnosed before he met my mother and learned how to control his mental issues. He would have stayed away from alcohol. He would have superpowers that he would pass on to me… uh, heh heh. Eventually I forgive him, and even helped my mother forgive him. Was one of the healthiest most beneficial things for her to do, her quality of life improved greatly after that.

I have a baby sister I partially raised as a primary caregiver, she is only 11 so its hard imagining her hurting someone deeply in the way we are discussing, then again she is really emotional, so prone to lashing out as well. I think if she did hurt someone my instinct would be to treat her as if she was the one who was hurt, because in a way, I view perpetrators of pain in a similar way as victims of pain, just that the context is different, as well as responsibility, therefore solutions can differ to. The biggest problem with such interactions is really often just establishing or getting perpetrators to acknowledge, and admit fault/responsibility. So many people try to avoid that, and for good reason, who wants that sort of guilt, sometimes people would rather go into denial or stay willfully ignorant, or just blame other people, even the victim. So if my sister can own to her actions with honesty? Then I would be proud of that, even if I am saddened her actions resulted in pain/hurt/loss with others. By always acting sympathetic and supportive towards my sister, compassionate, when I encourage get to be honest and ethical, my words have more weight and credibility. So my actual fear here is that if she hurt other people but didn't take responsibility, avoided responsibility and therefore was liable for making more errors. I am terrified at the idea my sister could be responsible for the kind of pain say my father inflicted on others, but I am confident that won't happen. I worked hard to make sure she is a much healthier individual, and a big part of that is to do with the idea, that even if she makes mistakes? She will take responsibility and try to learn and be better.

Thank you again for sharing your input.

HopeOnFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no.

I have trouble forgiving family, much less criminals.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"And they work right?"

The repeat offenders say otherwise.

No I probably wouldn't forgive, but accept that it happened.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SC  Moderator

@theacidskull said:

Nor should they, but people can extend that sense of protection, compassion, brotherly love to others. If Georgia is ever overrun by zombies and your family needs a place to crash, my home is your home if your family needs it. I live on an Island so unless the zombies can swim should be okay. Except things are a bit boring down here, you could also go to Canada you have a lot of friends there too! ^_^.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

There are different situations and different ways I can react to a criminal who hurts me or a relative of mine in some way. I guess most of the times I wouldn't be able to forgive them because I am a person who always remembers what has been done and later the damage from that. If a reletive or a close person of mine hurts somebody intentionally I won't even think about the person on the other side to see them even try to forgive my father/mother or girlfriend.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: Thank you for sharing your stories. Heart goes out to your struggles.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SC  Moderator

@theacidskull: Yey, I will finally get to play an X-Box! Heh heh.

@monsterstomp: Thanks, appreciate it man, and you too (I know I already said that seems apt to say heh heh)

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I see punishment in two categories: one part of the punishment for the victims and the other for everyone else. The punishment for everyone else is to teach the offender that what they did was wrong, to protect possible future victims, etc. The punishment for the victims is to give them a sense of "justice". This category of punishment would be where forgiveness is involved. Yes, I would forgive them (or at least try to) but that doesn't mean they're not going to be punished. However, just because I forgive them it doesn't mean the other people who have felt the effects of the crime will too so they're likely to get a bit of "victim punishment" anyway.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By magnablue

no