Posted by tethadam (557 posts) 1 month, 5 days ago

Poll: Could we end world hunger this way? (20 votes)

Yes 10%
No 90%

Everyone on earth with a job (4billion people?) Is required to pay 1 dollar a month. With 4 billion dollars a month, couldnt we end world hunger?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#1 Edited by Life_Without_Progress (24672 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweetie, I'd like to introduce you to a beautiful thing called "Mein Kampf".

Would definitely help with world hunger.

#2 Posted by kyrees (13547 posts) - - Show Bio

that amount can alleviate it but i doubt that can end it considering it's a systemic and natural problem.

#3 Posted by macleen (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

If we all had a hive mind and incorruptible then, yeah.

#4 Posted by jojjimbo (2686 posts) - - Show Bio

No! nor should we! because if you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. but if you teach a man to fish, then you feed him for a lifetime. we've been giving money to the poorer countries for decades now, and there is still hunger in the world.

#5 Posted by Soro (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not just snap half of Earth's population?

#6 Posted by ReaperTheGrim (1152 posts) - - Show Bio

I've worked in both the meat and fruit industry and let me tell you the amount of food that gets wasted is by far enough to cure world hunger the only issue is the cost and challenge of getting it to the poor africans.

#7 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

If HOM Scarlet Witch was real she just says more resources

Or if MCU Thanos were here he would just kill every person that was hungry with a snap

#8 Posted by ByondEon (1209 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeff Bezos could solve world hunger for the next five years by himself.. Surely it is possible some way, maybe not your way.. Not sure it will work.

#9 Posted by mrmonster (15567 posts) - - Show Bio

In a perfect world of perfect people, maybe. But in reality, enforcing this law would be costly and difficult, so much that just collecting just $1 per person wouldn't even be worth it.

#10 Posted by loyngulpany (2782 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. That way isn't even close to ending world hunger. A lot of rich people donate too much money in charities but it's still not enough to solve world hunger.

Seriously, if reality warping is real. I would turn the world into a peaceful place and I would end all the world problems including poverty,corruption etc.

#11 Posted by NiteLite (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't think so.

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
#12 Posted by WolverineBatmanFTW (1476 posts) - - Show Bio

In a perfect world, yes. But in reality, no.

Too much corruption/political BS for anything to work in a huge scale like this.

Also, in terms of the logistics, it would be pretty hard.

#13 Posted by jagernutt (16675 posts) - - Show Bio

Population of the world is about 7 billion.

#14 Edited by AbstractRaze (2740 posts) - - Show Bio

@jojjimbo said:

No! nor should we! because if you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. but if you teach a man to fish, then you feed him for a lifetime. we've been giving money to the poorer countries for decades now, and there is still hunger in the world.

This was very wise, it would be far better to introduce or finance institutions in less developed countries, especially in areas with much poverty, but again, when you go to no-go areas like in Brazil, areas where even the military or the police are afraid to enter because it's ruled by organized crime, pretty much no man's lands, you can't do much, furthermore, those investments won't retribute back unless there are resources to exploit.

PS:

Industrial agriculture could be a possibility and is an option for foreign Western investment today, but still.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#15 Edited by RedHood_JayTodd (1714 posts) - - Show Bio

We can never fully end world hunger. It’s an impossible task sadly.

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#16 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (17910 posts) - - Show Bio

@jojjimbo: Idiotic. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a life time? How would one fisherman compete with the multitude of companies that are over fishing? What if that man lived in a place where toxic companies poisoned the water? This goes for farming as well. Further more here will he get his gear? His bait? And is he expected to live his entire life as a fishermen simply because he was born poor, a circumstance that he did not choose?

The key message of that phrase is to educate the poor, but that cannot happen in a meaningful way if we do not first help them by giving them sustenance in the mean time.

#17 Edited by AbstractRaze (2740 posts) - - Show Bio

@major_hellstrom said:

@jojjimbo: Idiotic. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a life time? How would one fisherman compete with the multitude of companies that are over fishing? What if that man lived in a place where toxic companies poisoned the water? This goes for farming as well. Further more here will he get his gear? His bait? And is he expected to live his entire life as a fishermen simply because he was born poor, a circumstance that he did not choose?

The key message of that phrase is to educate the poor, but that cannot happen in a meaningful way if we do not first help them by giving them sustenance in the mean time.

You don't fully grasp it, it's a metaphor, he's implying education overall, it's not literal.

For example, Germany which is my country is industrializing many shitholes around the world, those becoming decent places as times passes, those industries need capable people with some education, those parallely demanding and improving education overall, this is a clear example with our Volkswagen factories in Brazil or our BMW factories in Mexico.

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#18 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (17910 posts) - - Show Bio

@abstractraze: If we have implying that education was the solution then his statement saying that we have been giving money to poor countries would be nonsensical. Because we know that the countries we have been donating to have been improving, he acts as if it would end world hunger in an instant but education takes a long time to improve a country especially one lacking in resources. As you should know.

#19 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6279 posts) - - Show Bio

Make a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.

Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
#20 Posted by TheOneAboveLife (1155 posts) - - Show Bio

@macleen said:

#21 Posted by kyrees (13547 posts) - - Show Bio

i think OP asked this question when there's a popular post in facebook right now concerning the efforts on donating to notre dame could have been put to "better use" like solving world hunger.

i'd like to point that significantly richer people have donated as well and world hunger still exists. not that their donations amounted to nothing nor that it wasn't targetted to removing world hunger but a systematic and natural problem like world hunger isn't going to be addressed by merely throwing money at it.

#22 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18328 posts) - - Show Bio

Make a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.

Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

He know...HE KNOWS ;)

#23 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

The answer is obvious.

#24 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6279 posts) - - Show Bio

I just ate a calzone

I think all we need to do is eat calzone every day and then no one would be hungry

#25 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6279 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Darkthunder (2693 posts) - - Show Bio

@loyngulpany: you can't do that. The world should be in balance. I swear I am not quoting thanos

#27 Posted by Jexsu (1293 posts) - - Show Bio

We will never end world hunger, unfortunately.

#28 Posted by loyngulpany (2782 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkthunder: Ummm.. what do u mean??

Okay I'm not rude but what do u mean the world should be in balance?? I just said I would end all the world problems which is almost the same as you said.

#29 Posted by kgb725 (19210 posts) - - Show Bio

We could end it if we truly wanted.

#30 Posted by tethadam (557 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

We could end it if we truly wanted.

I truly want to.

#31 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6279 posts) - - Show Bio

@tethadam:

I'm hungry

Will you send me some money?

#32 Posted by KanyeCosby (7174 posts) - - Show Bio

4 billion dollars a month for the entire world is no where near enough to pay for the needs of everyone.

#33 Posted by Supermanthor (20133 posts) - - Show Bio

In a perfect world, yes. But in reality, no.

Too much corruption/political BS for anything to work in a huge scale like this.

Also, in terms of the logistics, it would be pretty hard.

Avatar image for benjamin_poindexter
#34 Posted by Benjamin_Poindexter (947 posts) - - Show Bio

The amount of food that Americans waste every year could end world hunger.

#35 Posted by Darkthunder (2693 posts) - - Show Bio

@loyngulpany: ending all problems is making a perfect world. Nothing should be perfect

#36 Posted by SC (18159 posts) - - Show Bio

I think unlikely.

World hunger as a problem is multifaceted, with numerous contributing issues and factors, some that overlap with other issues and topics and all that need to be addressed or solved, and so you need to address a lot of big and little issues and problems. Even in a very general sense, its not really about a shortage of resources but the distribution.

Another simplified issue is the actual practical infostructure to decide how to specifically use such finance, its distribution, its collection, transparency, corruption issues, public perception, possible food wastage, will such people volunteer or get paid? One organization or multiple? What interactions with Governments? UN? What food choices will be available? Should starving people just shut up and eat whatever? etc.

People as a whole are... a bit silly too. We greatly overestimate how reasonable we are, underestimate how biased and emotional we are, and we can be easily offended and oversensitive, but try to hide this and protect our egos by clever and subtle tactic of being accusatory to any that threaten us or our ideologies... when I was a child, one concept I was ignorant of, was socioeconomic mobility. I use to believe that people deserved what they worked for, and so naturally hard working people would eventually earn what they deserved. There was some ego involved, as I thought of myself as being quite intelligent and diligent, especially compared to my peers. Even if my family was poor, I would be rich and successful... and I actually did move up quite a bit as far as my social economic status, but I was very fortunate and a lot of my success was due to factors outside of my control. Thankfully I also fostered a good deal of empathy and knowledge of certain important topics/fields of education (AND HUMILITY!) volunteered a bit, and as such my ideas evolved and gained more nuance.

If I seemed like I went on a detour from the point, I did a little, but the reason is because a general problem that needs to be overcome as far as world hunger, is societal and individuals understanding and attitude toward wealth and resources. Like I said, as a whole we are silly. A low paying, otherwise thankless job, like a pizza delivery guy, can be insulted by a customer, it can be caught on film, and then go viral, and then people as a group, will donate en masse to that individual, to "right" the "wrong" and its heartwarming and sweet when that happens. People hate bullies and have empathy and sympathy for people being treated poorly and unnecessarily mocked, and they band together and raise 30 thousand dollars for the delivery guy, and thats great and I am not criticizing that... but thats one person out of thousands... and we don't even really know that much about the pizza delivery guy. People get caught up in the moment and don't really care too much, it just feels right to be involved. You start talking about general safety nets for peoples mental health, healthcare, education, housing, work opportunities and peoples passion fades and they don't care as much, its "too complicated" and other issues rise. People also donate less to natural disasters that occur closer to other natural disasters they donated to, which is understandable... but my point here is that throwing money can help, but attitudes and ideologies need to adapt and evolve as well, some need to change.

World hunger will probably be minimized by a few scientific/technology groups/individuals making big leaps in certain agricultural/transportation fields, of course, depending on the country, some of that involves government money but yeah, queue innovative scientific discoveries, societal ideologies shifting to follow.

Avatar image for staticspeedster
#37 Posted by StaticSpeedster (2368 posts) - - Show Bio

Can we trust people with our money though? Are they really gonna spend ALL of it on world hunger-related issues?

Gotta take into consideration that a lot of those 4bil people with a job actually struggle themselves and might not agree to donate.

#38 Posted by loyngulpany (2782 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by XLR87T3 (10055 posts) - - Show Bio

I've worked in both the meat and fruit industry and let me tell you the amount of food that gets wasted is by far enough to cure world hunger the only issue is the cost and challenge of getting it to the poor africans.

I agree, same thing with the myth of "overpopulation". It's the money that's the problem

#40 Posted by tethadam (557 posts) - - Show Bio

Population of the world is about 7 billion.

I mean working population.

#41 Posted by JohnCena69swag (3960 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think world hunger can ever truly be solved. I mean humans are animals all the same. And like any animal population, they will keep growing and growing exponentially until they reach their carrying capacity. All we would be doing is artificially increasing that carrying capacity. That's the problem with these social programs. As soon as we reach the carrying capacity again we're going to be stuck with the same problem, albeit with the additional problem of everyone else paying for a solution that didn't work.

#42 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (523 posts) - - Show Bio

It could but world hunger is something the privileged go out of their way to sustain so it'll never happen.

#43 Posted by Nucleon (3470 posts) - - Show Bio

@macleen said:

#45 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (523 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame said:

Why does food cost money?

The thing is is it doesn't. Food is free but the powers that be don't like that.

#46 Posted by Richubs (4781 posts) - - Show Bio

If we just stop wasting food 90 percent of the problems would solve themselves.