#1 Edited by the_stegman (40142 posts) - - Show Bio

With Disney buying Marvel and Star Wars, we recently saw Marvel relaunch their Star Wars title with a new number 1. This has gotten me thinking, I wish DC would do more licensed adaptations as well. One major one could be Harry Potter. Warner Bros owns both DC and HP (with Rowling keeping creative control) so I was thinking it would be cool to see Harry Potter comic perhaps based on the film series.

DC has recently released Gotham Academy which has a prep/boarding school feel to it, I think a comic set at Hogwarts (maybe involving other characters that the books and films didn't show too much of) could be cool. They could even pick up in the timeskip and follow Harry's Auror adventures.

This could also open up many spinoffs starring a young Dumbledore, Snape, Harry's parents or Sirius.

What do you think? Could a Harry Potter comic work?? Would you wanna read it??

No Caption Provided

#2 Posted by hatemalingsia (15494 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, why not.

#3 Edited by Rouflex (35970 posts) - - Show Bio

They already have the original Harry Potter :P (Timothy Hunter).

On a more serious note i think comics could be cool. I also think a reboot before i die would be cool.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme (Not using french, only a ending phrase).

#4 Edited by Mr_Clockwork91 (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#5 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22677 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, i'd definitely buy it too. I'd prefer if they have two ongoing series - one expanding the canon of the books and another detailing the groups post-Hogwarts years

#6 Edited by jayc1324 (26421 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah they could. There's a ton of characters and lore with harry potter. They could do an entire series without even using potter, just show all of Dumbledores adventures with Nicholas flamel or show voldemort ascent to power or something like that. I'd read it.

#7 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by JugJugBanks (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

God, Amaro sucked. He was the main reason I never bothered buying that title.

which is the main reason why the answer is "no". Because despite the advent of DiDio and Jim Lee, a Potter comic would go right to Vertigo, which means they'd give the book to some dips!t pseudo-artsy cartoonist who can't actually DRAW well. Like Jill Thompson or Anna Crap-apple or one of the many wannabee-expressionist pseudo alternative hacks beloved by the Hooded Utilitarian..

#9 Edited by kidchipotle (15763 posts) - - Show Bio

I would read the sh!t out of it.

#10 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio

As people already pointed out, it's called books of magic.

#11 Posted by JugJugBanks (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

@hatemalingsia said:

Sure, why not.

Because Potter relies on visuals and there's no chance a Potter comic at DC would get someone like P Craig Russell (one of the top 10 comic artists of all time and the first guy to properly come out in comics, and thus the anti Bechdel).

If DC formed a new imprint, with artists like P Craig or Craig Hamilton with a Barry Windsor Smith thrown in, yeah, it's work. Otherwise it'll be Art School Reject PBS Gertrude Stein Week b-----!t.

#12 Edited by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by JugJugBanks (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

you mean where did I get my opinion that twinks can't draw? nor drag-kings? that's easy: every blog, tumblr, and every wannabee facebook webcomic thinking they are "worthy of Vertigo".

amazingly none of these wanksticks ever get paid a dime for comic art.

#14 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope they can't! If you want a Harry Potter comics...read the story of Timothy Hunter. He already appear in Justice League Dark comics if I'm not mistake. Timothy Hunter is the Harry Potter of the DCU.. Here check this link.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
#16 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (8155 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not against it.

#17 Edited by Artyom (6880 posts) - - Show Bio

@jugjugbanks said:

you mean where did I get my opinion that twinks can't draw? nor drag-kings? that's easy: every blog, tumblr, and every wannabee facebook webcomic thinking they are "worthy of Vertigo".

amazingly none of these wanksticks ever get paid a dime for comic art.

You're right. Vertigo has never had a successful comic ever. Not Lucifer or V for Vendetta.

#18 Posted by magnablue (10498 posts) - - Show Bio

They could do it

#19 Posted by magnablue (10498 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see some overly sexulized characters

#20 Posted by the_stegman (40142 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Artyom (6880 posts) - - Show Bio

@artyom: Watchmen isn't vertigo.

Oops. I always think it is because of the general setting and depiction of everything haha.

#24 Posted by BatWatch (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a bad idea, but it's not simply an issue of licensing the rights. J.K. Rowling would have to be willing to lease those rights, and Rowling has kept a tight reign on her universe. She's not like George Lucas, willing to slap his brand on anything that brings him money. I don't think DC could get the rights to Harry Potter anytime soon. They might be able to license something in the Harry Potter universe, but even that seems unlikely.

#25 Posted by Saren (27933 posts) - - Show Bio

WB only owns the movie rights. All publishing rights sit with Bloomsbury, as far as I know.

@artyom said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

@artyom: Watchmen isn't vertigo.

Oops. I always think it is because of the general setting and depiction of everything haha.

Vertigo didn't exist back when Watchmen was published. If it did, Watchmen would almost certainly have come under that imprint.

#26 Posted by Billy Batson (60806 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by Artyom (6880 posts) - - Show Bio

It is now, however. And some comics that were created in or moved into Vertigo were pretty successful. The Sandman, Preacher, 100 Bullets, and Fables. Plus, they have a plethora of comics that were adapted into movies. Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta, A History of Violence, and Stardust. So they must being doing something correctly. Vertigo also won an Eisner award for best continuing series of various years.

EDIT: Forgot Hellblazer.

#28 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: if WB didn't get the movie rights.. They almost sue j.k Rowling for the copyright lol anyways.. I think they already made a graphic novel if I'm not mistaken :)

#29 Posted by Leo-343 (30909 posts) - - Show Bio

The possibilities are endless.

- The trio's live as adults

- Dumbledore's early years

- The Marauders time at Hogwarts including Snape

- Ancient magic hundreds of years ago, thy could follow famous wizards over different time periods

- Charlie in Albania training dragons

- Voldemort's early years at Hogwarts

- A story of how the founders of Hogwarts met and their lives

- Some of the Hogwarts teachers lives

- The trio's kids at Hogwarts

Etc etc

#30 Posted by JugJugBanks (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

@jugjugbanks: You have the oddest opinions.

Not for someone who has been paid to illustrate metaphysical comic material, no I do not. If I was a reader/retailer only, yes, my opinions would be odd.

But as someone who can actually draw (unlike Jill), there is nothing odd about saying stuff that is drawn in a manner that can only be touted by a bad show on N.P.R. is likely to be the 'art' the Potterverse would get from DC. which would be a wedding-punchbowl of fail-juice.

#31 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio

@jugjugbanks: You had my curiosity. but now you have my attention. What issues have you drawn?

#32 Edited by JugJugBanks (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

@dagmar_merrill: no no no, it doesn't work that way after fans acted VERY BADLY towards the female Bat Editor (at CBR), even issued threats to her, because she merely published FAIR and JUST opinions on a crappy Teen Titans cover. The fallout meant CBR had to cut off it's own balls and retrofit the entire site because badly behaved fanboys (and girls) couldn't "hold their bottle".

So no. You don't get that. In fact it's rather "green" of you to ask.

But you CAN enjoy a hand drawn penciled and inked piece I did for an editor of one of the Big 3.

No Caption Provided

#33 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio

@jugjugbanks: I was just asking because I like Jill Thompson's art. you seem to think it's terrible and your reasoning was "I've drawn stuff I think is good"

I think my question wasn't that weird to try and make a comparison.

#34 Edited by JugJugBanks (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

ACTUALLY no, many people loathe JT's art, including people paid by Oni Press and Dark Horse and other real paying companies, and no, that was not a reason I listed for disliking it, and yes, planting words in peoples' mouths they did not say is EXACTLY why the misbehaviour of a minority of asswank fans is EXACTLY why many fans have to deal with people not being as forthcoming on websites as they used to.

I never said "because I think my art is good". That was you baiting in a way that is both embarrasingly adolescent and also as old as the hills, going back to BEFORE GOOGLE AND YAHOO, much less current social media. It in fact goes back to the initial BBS systems of the UC campuses.

Get original and stop being lazy or stop poking the bear.

#35 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio

@jugjugbanks: Okay, what conclusion was I supposed to make?

"But as someone who can actually draw (unlike Jill),"

That's like exactly what " "I've drawn stuff I think is good" " Would mean, it's more like I'm paraphrasing you and not putting words in your mouth.

I'm not even being confrontational here just asking to see your art for a comparison.

P.S. Nice drawing, I can see why a company would hire, assuming they have.

B.T.W. You can't say As$wank, it's against the site rules.

#36 Posted by sophia89 (19802 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by the_stegman (40142 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Edited by _Ulysses_ (277 posts) - - Show Bio

DC & Harry Potter crossover. Have Harry kick the pooooopies out of Superman

#40 Posted by JugJugBanks (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

@dagmar_merrill:

Oh COME ON.

If you are gonna be THAT lazy, cliched and passive aggressive, there’s not even any point in replying.

JT is the “Courtney Love” of comics.

Courtney would have had nothing without being the harpy of Cobain, and JT would have nothing without being the art equivalent of Courtney at a time when Courtney was on MTV all the time and on the soundtrack of The Crow.

Courtney Love has had to go on Shark Tank to try to get a sales deal for her so called “intellecttual property”. That says it all.

Because the Harry Potterverse doesn’t give a shite about people who can’t draw but make do on Emperor’s New Clothes social creed. Not just JT, but also Bagge (crap) and Clowes (utter crap).

You need to embrace women in comics who didn’t get their start from “casual visual trends and true memes”, from how they could flirt at “alternative comix parties” back in the 90’s making goodly advantage of similarities between their own face and Sara Jessica Parker ’s face(when Sex in the City had fooled the world into thinking it was relevant). Particularly if you want to post about if DC can make a Potter comic. Which we must always come back to, to keep on topic.

I am sure you have the best of intentions but there are many TALENTED female artists in comics to admire, and mention in this thread.

JT ain’t one of them, and never will be.

which is necessary for a Potter comic, wich brings us BACK ON TRACK. If DC is willing to allow Rowling veto power over artists, plus the freedom to PRESENT her own preferred artists to illustrate such a hypothetical series, yes.

derailing over.

#41 Posted by TheBlondeGod (2845 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Renchamp (7739 posts) - - Show Bio