Avatar image for staticspeedster
StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

Edited By StaticSpeedster

You have to admit, this site needs it more than ever since G_Man has left and surely Inferiorego can't be the only one posting articles on this site. Now this is something I've been pushing for like 2-3 years already. We need to have a system where weekly, a moderator or a staff chooses at least two community written articles for the week. In that way, we have several fresh stuff on the front page every week. I'm not saying that we don't but we need more! Comic Vine is quite gifted with passionate blog and review writers so like I said before, we should make use of that in this way.

Like Wildvine told me before, she has tried bringing back the Community Spotlight but users don't seem to have the same passion for it as before. Well maybe instead of putting your stuff on the bottom of the front page, maybe we could put it up there with the rest of the staff written articles! Gotta be honest, not sure if it would make a difference but I do know we have nothing to lose if we try doing all of this for at least a week. From there, we see what happens. This has to be given a shot, one way or another.

People are saying (jokingly for the most part) that this site is dying. Well, screw that. Let's make this site more alive than it's prime (like 3-4 years ago). It's hella possible.

I'm not sure how ya'all are going to take this, maybe I'm being a bit crazy but if you like the idea, do help me push for it.

Let's make Comic Vine amazing again!

~StaticSpeedster

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I like this idea.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Staff were paid to do that. I dunno if CV users would do this.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto:

Because they're staff?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StaticSpeedster

Staff were paid to do that. I dunno if CV users would do this.

Nah. The mere fact their stuff would make it to the front page should be enough for a payment.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

In the five stages of grief i think this would fall under bargaining.

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

In the five stages of grief i think this would fall under bargaining.

I'm in no grief. I would have written this article even if G_Man stayed.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

glad i'm not the only one who doesn't want this site to go <:)

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

glad i'm not the only one who doesn't want this site to go <:)

<:3

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@staticspeedster: Look man, I love you like a bro and your enthusiasm is infectious, but I don't get what you are proposing.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of celebrating the best articles. It would definitely encourage more people to try writing I think and also help improve quality and generate more feedback.

Not sure if you can convince them to put them on the front page at the top though.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 SC  Moderator

Here's the/a problem. Users should want to write such articles already, because they want to. High quality content. Then other users actually have to appreciate and celebrate such content, and post, recommend and comment on such content. If there was an abundance of quality blogs and articles by users around, treated as such as others, whether its on the front page, top or not, would matter less.

What can also happen is that 1. Users care too much about their own content, and not enough about other peoples. 2. Users can be a bit lazy, and prefer correcting others bad content, by dissing, insulting or leaving memes on it , than ignoring it… so it fades away faster, and then using that time or effort to leave a small paragraph on great content. 3. Mixed priorities and interest. What people consider quality or interesting can differ greatly. There are lots of users that do create amazing content, but because its not covering characters from last 5 years of comics, isn't movie related, or to do with Battles/feats, or something controversial so people can meme about how 'sensitive' and 'dumb' others are, it often gets overlooked or doesn't get as much attention as it should.

There are some things I do wish the site would change. The reviews, so user reviews were easier to find, better filtering options for what forums you can peruse, so you could filter out Off Topic and Battles, etc quality content won't fade away as fast. However I also wish peoples attitudes and behaviors were considered a bit more too, a change I can't control, apart from my own, and that would help a lot too.

Good effort and enthusiasm though (with this thread) site isn't 'dying', it, like many websites just change with time as do many users and their own respective experiences with online variables.

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticspeedster: Look man, I love you like a bro and your enthusiasm is infectious, but I don't get what you are proposing.

Aww. Love ya to brotha.

Basically put user written stuff onto Comic Vine's front page. Of course, this isn't something to be done without guidance of staffs or moderators.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this might be a problem as SC was saying.

That said i would actually love that feature.

Does anyone know why G-man left?

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Here's the/a problem. Users should want to write such articles already, because they want to. High quality content. Then other users actually have to appreciate and celebrate such content, and post, recommend and comment on such content. If there was an abundance of quality blogs and articles by users around, treated as such as others, whether its on the front page, top or not, would matter less.

What can also happen is that 1. Users care too much about their own content, and not enough about other peoples. 2. Users can be a bit lazy, and prefer correcting others bad content, by dissing, insulting or leaving memes on it , than ignoring it… so it fades away faster, and then using that time or effort to leave a small paragraph on great content. 3. Mixed priorities and interest. What people consider quality or interesting can differ greatly. There are lots of users that do create amazing content, but because its not covering characters from last 5 years of comics, isn't movie related, or to do with Battles/feats, or something controversial so people can meme about how 'sensitive' and 'dumb' others are, it often gets overlooked or doesn't get as much attention as it should.

There are some things I do wish the site would change. The reviews, so user reviews were easier to find, better filtering options for what forums you can peruse, so you could filter out Off Topic and Battles, etc quality content won't fade away as fast. However I also wish peoples attitudes and behaviors were considered a bit more too, a change I can't control, apart from my own, and that would help a lot too.

Good effort and enthusiasm though (with this thread) site isn't 'dying', it, like many websites just change with time as do many users and their own respective experiences with online variables.

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your generous feedback. :) I shouldn't be expecting anything like it from another staff or moderator.

Yes, I agree these are some issues that this idea could be going up against. I might be making it sound too easy but this probably problem could be reduced if super willing users are guided by staff/moderators for the task to make the whole thing fun and a beneficiary activity for the site. It's the only fail safe we have for this idea. That's the problem. So many benefits but not much ways to makw all of this work the way it should be. Everything is sensitive and should be attended to with great care. Or else, everything goes to waste. :/

That sounds something that should have been done a long time ago if you ask me. If they can't do this, I suppose I'll support your idea instead. At the moment, it is more viable and easier to execute than mine. lol Quite some work for the site engineers but not as much as how moderators and staffs will be putting into guiding users with their articles. This is pretty much a leap of faith I guess.....

Thank you.

I disagree with the idea of the site dying too. It's just ridiculous. People have been saying that since like three years ago and we're still very much alive now.

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this might be a problem as SC was saying.

That said i would actually love that feature.

Does anyone know why G-man left?

I suggest reading my reply above. :) ]Does it really matter? I'm sure the dude has some other more important things to tend to. It's just the way it is sometimes.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SC  Moderator

@staticspeedster: No worries.

The things I actually mentioned were features CV use to have heh heh… but they were changed in the past. We could filter out Battles and Off Topic (and RPG) and reviews use to have automatically direct to any and all reviews, users included, so seeing new reviews was really easy and then if you found good reviews you could follow the user and see more new reviews… now reviews are organized by issues and with staff priority, so not the best way of finding new users creating content.

I use to help put the original Community spotlight together, and even with superior search and filtering tools, it was time consuming to do that, and we relied heavily on users nominating others, but even back then in CV's supposed glory days, nominations weren't that common. Best thing users can do, is just take initiative and build things slowly. Guidance isn't really needed by moderators and staff, users just need to have an idea and willing to put in effort and time. We use to have a roundtable too, a normal user could create a thread asking if there are any users that want to have a 3 or 4 person discussion about a topic, that can take place in PM and then you publish best bits into a blog/thread. Similar ideas. I would personally do more, but most of what I like writing about isn't that popular/discussed around CV. Which is fine, you have to know your audience. I still do write CV content but its mostly for myself and expressing opinions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticspeedster: I guess not i was just wondering.

Still though i fully endorse this.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like a good idea. I'll think about trying this out. But I'm lazy.

Edit: I've started to do things like make blogs about the top 10 countries in different categories but it doesn't get all that much attention.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Lvenger

I don't think Inferiorego would be on board with this idea. I think the front page is meant for staff articles and the community written articles were meant for Community Spotlight, which hasn't been successful in coming back.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would it be worth making a private group for content creators? That way they could all agree to try and read each other's stuff, give feedback and discuss ideas.

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2 said:

Sounds like a good idea. I'll think about trying this out. But I'm lazy.

Edit: I've started to do things like make blogs about the top 10 countries in different categories but it doesn't get all that much attention.

Lol. We only need comic book related/ geek culture articles. This isn't a travel site. You should try writing more. :)

@iara said:

Would it be worth making a private group for content creators? That way they could all agree to try and read each other's stuff, give feedback and discuss ideas.

Sounds great. We need approval before we could move to that stage though. It's a space before the actual think goes live. :)

@lvenger said:

I don't think Inferiorego would be on board with this idea. I think the front page is meant for staff articles and the community written articles were meant for Community Spotlight, which hasn't been successful in coming back.

Eh. It doesn't have to be that way mate. Things change for the better.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*thinks really deeply*

*slowly opens Daily Debater PM*

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SC  Moderator

@iara said:

That could be a good idea, just the important thing, and this is something that can be tricky, but its important for people, to try and be as welcoming, inclusive and open to new people and strangers. Inviting. That way the process grows and doesn't become too niche or exclusive. So some organization would definitely help, especially to get things started and especially because such things usually require a few people willing to actually coordinate ideas and do the mundane work (spell checking so on) - same applies with RPG, fan fict, artist collaborations, even Battles tournaments, positivity and friendliness tends to breed positivity and friendliness.

Its nice to see users are thinking ideas by the way!

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticspeedster: I guess not i was just wondering.

Still though i fully endorse this.

I appreciate it. ^_^

@sc said:

@staticspeedster: No worries.

I use to help put the original Community spotlight together, and even with superior search and filtering tools, it was time consuming to do that, and we relied heavily on users nominating others, but even back then in CV's supposed glory days, nominations weren't that common. Best thing users can do, is just take initiative and build things slowly. Guidance isn't really needed by moderators and staff, users just need to have an idea and willing to put in effort and time. We use to have a roundtable too, a normal user could create a thread asking if there are any users that want to have a 3 or 4 person discussion about a topic, that can take place in PM and then you publish best bits into a blog/thread. Similar ideas. I would personally do more, but most of what I like writing about isn't that popular/discussed around CV. Which is fine, you have to know your audience. I still do write CV content but its mostly for myself and expressing opinions.

That actually sounds amazing. It's been a while so, a teeny tiny guidance from mods/staffs then the users who has gotten used to the system could take it from there. The real question here though would be, do we actually have a good amount of people who'd be willing to do it? I know a few (including myself of course) but not enough. It's what worries me the most my friend.

Tell me honestly, would this be possible to pull off?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticspeedster: I'm taking over midget. First things first i'mma gonna need some SZECHUAN SAUCE, then with it ill make this a travel site.

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2 said:

@staticspeedster: I'm taking over midget. First things first i'mma gonna need some SZECHUAN SAUCE, then with it ill make this a travel site.

Damn you and your tacky trendy memes.

And hey, you're just as tall as me. :)

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StaticSpeedster

*thinks really deeply*

*slowly opens Daily Debater PM*

(Whispers)

What's in theeere?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticspeedster: every issue of DD from 4 onwards iirc. Some dank memes, some arguing, and great friends. Also 2 likely HoF inductees.

But I was thinking: I done DD for a while. They're more than capable of running without me. Maybe I can expand, help you with this since I'm good with community involvement (DD shows this). Maybe even a newspaper for Off Topic like DD.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: I understand. I don't think it needs to be a particularly exclusive group, just a positive place where it's easy to find helpful people and generate constructive discussion. I'm not the right person to organize it but I'd love to help try and write more articles. Spell checking/editing is actually something I need more experience with so I'd be happy to try and read through other people's work before they post it if they want.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By emperorthanos-  Moderator

@supremegeneration: Not likely anymore.

Also I think it would be great if you did this. I'm sure we will manage or we can find someone new to help.

SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: I'd still be in PM, just not talking as much as I used to. You guys could more than handle it.

Oh and congrats.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@theamazingspidey said:

Aww. Love ya to brotha.

Basically put user written stuff onto Comic Vine's front page. Of course, this isn't something to be done without guidance of staffs or moderators.

Thanks for elaborating! I appreciate the sentiment, but like @sc said, users should want to write high quality content regardless of whether or not it makes it to the front page :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be interested in covering manga/anime spoilers. But that kind of thing belongs in The official anime/manga thread so IDK. I would still like to do it though.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticspeedster:

Ideas like this are how great movements are started, buddy.

I'll help how I can. Other than doing any kind of actual leading ( I hung that garbage up a long time ago), hit me up and I'll catch in.

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticspeedster said:
@theamazingspidey said:

Aww. Love ya to brotha.

Thanks for elaborating! I appreciate the sentiment, but like @sc said, users should want to write high quality content regardless of whether or not it makes it to the front page :)

Eh that isn't an issue. People like you and I don't publish blogs just because we can. We try to put our best in it, just like some people do. Just like I said, some guidance then it's good from there.

@jaycool2 said:

I would be interested in covering manga/anime spoilers. But that kind of thing belongs in The official anime/manga thread so IDK. I would still like to do it though.

We don't really have anime articles on the front page. lol

@staticspeedster:

Ideas like this are how great movements are started, buddy.

I'll help how I can. Other than doing any kind of actual leading ( I hung that garbage up a long time ago), hit me up and I'll catch in.

Aw. Thanks man. :)

Sure thing. We can't do anything for now though but to wait if people are actually going to consider doing this for the site. I appreciate it man. I'll keep you posted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice idea m8.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@staticspeedster: It would be a nice idea, don't get me wrong. Just not sure if it would be accepted, especially since you need to be a staff member to update the front page. A community driven surge of content and blogs is a good idea regardless and there are still some good bloggers on the Vine.

@jaycool2 said:

This is Comicvine, not Animevice. Just because the stragglers moved over here in an Internet refugee crisis following Animevice's closure doesn't necessitate putting anime and manga front page content. Not that there isn't a community for it though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Meh, fair enough. I just thought it would be interesting y'know.

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I'm not sure either. Help me push for this. :)

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if it's worth the shot but it's the only one we got. Imma try to get Matt down here.

@inferiorego: Hey man. I know you're tired and all but I just want your feedback on it. No rush with the response or anything.

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2 said:

@lvenger: Meh, fair enough. I just thought it would be interesting y'know.

Could work if they add an official anime section. Surely won't be happening though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticspeedster: Yeah. It sucks man. Though I did come here for comics anyways.

StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2: You would have loved Anime Vice when it was still around..

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Interesting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers