• 69 results
AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 65

#1  Edited By AssertingValor

(Department of Veterns Affairs) fyi.....

As many knw what happened to Erik recently, we must all consider, does being a long term involved viner, earn us anything around here?

We all have been harassed by newbies but is our Comicvine "career" on the site considered equal to theirs even tho they have just began?

I understand everybody has been a new viner of course, but the last year has sprouted some real "Winners"

Should experienced viners have more "value" around here?

No Caption Provided
warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By warlock360

Wait... they don't?

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CrimsonCake

I thought they already had.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Strafe Prower

Comic vets don't really hold more value around here, they just have people that respect them.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lykopis

Not at all.

You are only as good as your last post.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strafe Prower

@lykopis said:

Not at all.

It shouldn't be like this.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lykopis

@Strafe Prower:

And yet it is. For me, looking at someone's post count or wiki=points is a good indicator as to their "veteran"ness. It doesn't give them respect, but I do anticipate that their involvement in a thread/battle will be substantive.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#8  Edited By Joygirl

Wait, what happened to Erik? And deeds have weight in certain circles, I think.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By ReVamp

@Joygirl: Stuff happened.

And no, I think Vets are valued enough. Some Vets just don't post often enough.

@lykopis said:

Not at all.

I have to disagree.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Joygirl: He got banned for abusing Babs

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#11  Edited By Joygirl

...Huh. Not sure what to say about that.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lykopis

@ReVamp: Duly noted and fair enough. Just that I don't feel I carry any more weight than someone else who joins the site today. If anything, there's a type of exclusion-like behaviour with new users that I really have a problem with. To have them "prove themselves" is just outright wrong.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReVamp

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Joygirl: He got banned for abusing Babs

...Eh.

@lykopis said:

@ReVamp: Duly noted and fair enough. Just that I don't feel I carry any more weight than someone else who joins the site today. If anything, there's a type of exclusion-like behaviour with new users that I really have a problem with. To have them "prove themselves" is just outright wrong.

I don't say that they should have any more weight, but they should be respected. If I contribute 100, 000 wiki points to the site, or great reviews but then I stop posting for a 5 months, the notion that you're "only good as your last post" would imply that I'm that all I did for the site doesn't matter anymore because I don't do it every single day.

There should be no exclusion of new users, and when I joined I didn't feel that at all, but people deserve respect for what they did -- regardless of the fact if they still do it or not.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lykopis

@ReVamp: What I meant was, you are only as good as your last post as in what it is comprised of? Not just posting period. If you write a completely idiotic post, then sorry -- there goes your credibility unless you own up to it which many of us have done. Someone who racks up wiki points or writes reviews blogs etc clearly is a valuable member to the site but no, it does not guarantee respect from me. Recognition yes and like I said before, when I see a member with those type of numbers I expect them to be pretty knowledgeable and more times than not, they are.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReVamp

@lykopis: I disagree.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lykopis

@ReVamp: We are of the same mind in regards to each other's takes on this.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By minigunman123

Veterans should simply be looked at with more scrutiny if they are considered for a harsh, substantial punishment, such as permanent ban, or a week-long ban, for examples.

Not because we're more important than new users, but because people know that we're not crazy spamming SOB's. New users don't have that, and rightfully so; they are just as valuable, but we know nothing about them. They could be 4chan members here to troll us. They don't have any credibility as useful members of the community.

People that are members for years, post a lot of useful/relevant posts, and/or add to the wiki a substantial amount, deserve a basic level of trust even if we may not like them, because they've proven they're not just here to troll or spam or be useless. They're here to stay. Because of that trust and credibility I think that "veterans" (which should be defined by the staff soon, if they do this) should be reviewed more before being punished severely.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vortex13

@minigunman123 said:

Veterans should simply be looked at with more scrutiny if they are considered for a harsh, substantial punishment, such as permanent ban, or a week-long ban, for examples.

Not because we're more important than new users, but because people know that we're not crazy spamming SOB's. New users don't have that, and rightfully so; they are just as valuable, but we know nothing about them. They could be 4chan members here to troll us. They don't have any credibility as useful members of the community.

People that are members for years, post a lot of useful/relevant posts, and/or add to the wiki a substantial amount, deserve a basic level of trust even if we may not like them, because they've proven they're not just here to troll or spam or be useless. They're here to stay. Because of that trust and credibility I think that "veterans" (which should be defined by the staff soon, if they do this) should be reviewed more before being punished severely.

You're a veteran? Not trying to offend at all just didn't know that.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Xanni15

@LordMaverick said:

As many knw what happened to Erik recently, we must all consider, does being a long term involved viner, earn us anything around here?

We all have been harassed by newbies but is our Comicvine "career" on the site considered equal to theirs even tho they have just began?

I understand everybody has been a new viner of course, but the last year has sprouted some real "Winners"

I have no idea what happened to the person you're referring to, and know only of them through what others have said, but I doubt members are banned for doing nothing wrong. Perhaps his popularity is a reason people have an issue with it.

Harassed by newbies? I haven't been on this site long at all, but I would say things are the exact opposite. The so called "veterans" are the ones who pick on newer members, as if having a higher post count makes them superior. All members are equal, we all have to follow the rules, and we all have the right to post or comment as long as it is within the guidelines of this site. Experienced Viners should not have more value, and they should be enforced harder as they've been around longer and know how the site works better.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#20  Edited By Hawkeye446

@lykopis said:

Not at all.

speaking of which, TRUTH!

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lykopis

@Xanni15 said:

@LordMaverick said:

I have no idea what happened to the person you're referring to, and know only of them through what others have said, but I doubt members are banned for doing nothing wrong. Perhaps his popularity is a reason people have an issue with it.

Harassed by newbies? I haven't been on this site long at all, but I would say things are the exact opposite. The so called "veterans" are the ones who pick on newer members, as if having a higher post count makes them superior. All members are equal, we all have to follow the rules, and we all have the right to post or comment as long as it is within the guidelines of this site. Experienced Viners should not have more value, and they should be enforced harder as they've been around longer and know how the site works better.

Wonderfully expressed. I agree.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lykopis

@Hawkeye446 said:

@lykopis said:

Not at all.

speaking of which, TRUTH!

~~ starts sharpening stick ~~

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Xanni15

@lykopis said:

@Xanni15 said:

@LordMaverick said:

Wonderfully expressed. I agree.

Thanks. :]

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Strafe Prower

Making general assumptions about veterans or new users doesn't prove anything.

I have been apart of both groups. Every time I joined a new part of the site, the vets welcomed me with open arms. Is the case for everyone? Of course not, but making general statements about veterans being rude is false.

I don't think I've been rude to any new user, but that's not blowing my own horn. To be honest, I haven't see many vets being rude to new users, and vice versa. The heat in the battle forums has nothing to do with post counts, but with knowledge of comic characters.

@lykopis: Really? I try to respect and listen to those who have done more for the site in an area, as they usually know a lot about what they do. Does that mean their word is concrete? No, but saying that they are as good as their last post shows nothing but a lack of appreciation for their work. IMHO.

That isn't a shot a you BTW. I don't want to start anything LOL.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lykopis

@Strafe Prower: No worries, that's your opinion. Didn't say I didn't appreciate what they do (take a look at my response to ReVamp where I say so) so saying it shows nothing but a lack of appreciation for their work is incorrect. But respect? As in deference to a long time user? Extra consideration and leeway when rules get bent? Nope. Not all. And agreed -- no need to start anything. Simply opinions here.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Strafe Prower

@lykopis: Ah, I didn't read the thread XD

I don't think we are defining "Respect" in a different way. I don't think Respect means giving them leeway with the rules, as the rules are concrete and should be obeyed.

I see "respect" as more so a way of speaking and acting towards another user. For instance, you should never be disrespectful towards a new user, but a Veteran's opinion on a topic should be taken more into consideration when it comes to something they are very familiar with. For instance, If someone has 300k wiki points, I'm going to ponder on their opinion of improvements to the wiki versus someone who has 300. Not that I won't consider the newer user's opinion, but I will respect the amount of time someone has put into a part of the site.

Just making sure you didn't take offense, as I like to be careful.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By danhimself

post count means NOTHING! there are users who haven't been here even half as long as I have and have 3 times as many posts as I do

it doesn't matter if you joined on day one or today you should still have to follow the exact same set of rules as everyone else...no exceptions

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lykopis

@Strafe Prower: Honestly no offense. And your example is a good one and I agree with that. :)

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Strafe Prower

@lykopis: Good and Thanks!

I'm surprised you were able to understand what I was saying. My spelling and grammar make my posts almost unreadable XD

/english fail

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Mercy_

@danhimself said:

post count means NOTHING! there are users who haven't been here even half as long as I have and have 3 times as many posts as I do

it doesn't matter if you joined on day one or today you should still have to follow the exact same set of rules as everyone else...no exceptions

Absolutely this. So much...so so much (minus the part where people have three times as many posts as I do)

@Strafe Prower said:

For instance, you should never be disrespectful towards a new user, but a Veteran's opinion on a topic should be taken more into consideration when it comes to something they are very familiar with. For instance, If someone has 300k wiki points, I'm going to ponder on their opinion of improvements to the wiki versus someone who has 300. Not that I won't consider the newer user's opinion, but I will respect the amount of time someone has put into a part of the site.

Just making sure you didn't take offense, as I like to be careful.

This, I absolutely agree with as well.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Strafe Prower

@Mercy_: :)

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ssejllenrad

I'm more interested with what happened to Erik than the topic at hand... Hehehe!

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lykopis

@Strafe Prower: No -- never. I have yet to see you write an incomprehensible post. :)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By danhimself

@Mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

Absolutely this. So much...so so much (minus the part where people have three times as many posts as I do)

lol you're one of the people I had in mind when I wrote that

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@minigunman123 said:

This.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mercy_

@danhimself said:

@Mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

I had a feeling :P I agree with it, regardless. I don't put any importance in post count, especially considering mine is so high.

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By sexy_merc

Well, you shouldn't be considering this as a "career" first off ... Unless, you're actually a staff member or are getting paid to do stuff on here as a main thing. 

This is just a public forum for the most part, where people just like to chill and whatever. I don't know what happened to Erik, but I always found this thing about being a "veteran" on here to be silly.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By danhimself

@Mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

@Mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

I had a feeling :P I agree with it, regardless. I don't put any importance in post count, especially considering mine is so high.

I only frequent a few of the forums on the site....RPing has never been of any interest to me and I think that's where most people get their post counts at....and it's quality over quantity :P

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SC  Moderator

Depends what you mean by value. Things of value and so on. Being a long term member shouldn't grant any special honor. Being a long term member means being a long term member. You can have intelligent respectful posters who has been on Comicvine for 3 years, and you can have intelligent respectful posters who have been here for three weeks. One shouldn't be treated or respected simply because they have been around longer. At least thats my personal approach, some people may not wish to extend their respect until others have earned it and so a poster who has been here for more time may have earned more respect from some but then other people may like to extend respect to all people they met until they are given a reason not to. Its worth noting that the posters level on intelligence and respectfulness doesn't actually change in that scenario only peoples perceptions. I don't like to treat people based on superficial things or my own personal familiarity with them, as one reeks of unfairness and the other personal ego. I like to treat people based on the objective qualities they exhibit and this applies both in short term and long term.     

For example a long while back on CV there was a poster I got on reasonably with, they are long gone by the way, and permanently so so I don't mind subtly referencing them. I gave them my respect and they had been around longer than me, and they seemed to have their fair share of friends and critics. The more I got to know the poster the more I disliked their behavior and actions. From first hand experience and second hand account from a source I trust. This poster would exploit holes in the Comic Vine rules to harass posters he had personal issues with quite viciously. Eventually that poster slipped up and in a major major rather horrible way. In a way that was expressly against the rules. Yet at the time the poster considered himself and so did a few others a Vine Veteran. Not only that he tried to orchestrate a type of rallying point for himself to win a special CV honor. Many many posters at CV that I respect and admire did in fact rally behind him, even though I had a very strong belief that if they knew what I knew, that probably wouldn't associate with the poster at all. Except what I knew wasn't something that I could share with just anybody and so there was a matter of trust and an issue of ignorance. There were matters of privacy as well. I was still mystified to see so many posters I did respect and admire support the person, but hey, they didn't know, I couldn't tell them so what can you do eh? I suspect that the reason why so many people supported this person was mainly due to how long they had been around and how familiar people were with them. They had a massive post count and posted in one of the most popular sections of Comic Vine. Familiarity builds trust and ego can build trust and so can strong confident opinions. Poster in question had strong confident opinions, and was in a situation where many people would be likely to agree with him now and then which would be a signal to the other person that hey this person is like me because they agree with me, they must be alright. So he ticks all the right boxes.  

When I think of such things happening I actually worry a bit. Many of the people in that situation that I respect and admire are intelligent and considerate and they probably would have been blindsided by what I knew and what the poster had done. Does that mean that I might be ignorant to people I consider myself close to are doing? How can I prevent supporting someone just because I have known them for a while, they may remind me of myself leading me to assume other things about them incorrectly and being swept up by how they deliver what they say rather than the content? Oh I know how, I don't conform to peer pressure, I don't value familiarity with someone or exposure to an idea, I value the persons actions and the idea on its own merits each time, I don't like people just because they give myself an ego boost or because they validate me emotionally or do things that reflect myself or some part of me that I aspire to be, I learn to value the merits of something for what it is and not the way other people perceive it to be and I am aware that I might be wrong so its okay to clarify and its okay to be patient and its okay to relax with other people who might need a bit of clarification themselves. This actually requires reflection and critical thinking because its human nature to build trust with familiarity even though we know this is a flawed reason to trust people. (unless you occupy their brain 24/7)   

I don't really care to gauge my own status at CV. I have given a lot of myself to the site though, through blogs and wiki editing and interaction with my fellow comic fans, and/but I consider myself equal to any poster who may join up today. If anything I think that new poster should be treated and respected better than me, to encourage them to stick around more. That and I am also rather interesting in conformity as far as human psychology and comic book's biggest target market is the group most vulnerable to over confidence and arrogance in spite of very flawed perceptions, understandings and critical thinking. I don't want a website of new posters running around like puppies looking for approval of what they consider the alpha of the pack, so they can one day hope to be "popular" I want a website full of considerate, intelligent comic fans who have backbones and give loyalty where loyalty is deserved not where emotional validation or security lies. Those kinds of posters exist as veterans and as new posters.            

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By YoungJustice

Too New Too Comment

sentryssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sentryssj4

@YoungJustice: And yet you have more posts than me... I'm so lame.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By YoungJustice

sentryssj4 : And more followers ;)

sentryssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sentryssj4

@YoungJustice: DAMN!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#45  Edited By RazzaTazz

I find it interesting that people log on to a website for comics and talk about the dynamics of the website and not the comics.  Veterans status is kind of weird, I kind of look at it that they should be held to a higher standard because they should know better.  

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By Inverno

I have been here for a long time but only really started using the forums since last year. I don't know if I hold any impact as a vet.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By minigunman123

@Vortex13 said:

@minigunman123 said:

You're a veteran? Not trying to offend at all just didn't know that.

Eh, I use the term loosely, because I've been here for a little while and have over a thousand posts. But realistically the term "veteran" could/should probably be like, 5k posts or something and here for well, welllll over a year. I didn't even think of it when I was writing, it just came out as "we". Big ego maybe?

In any case, maybe we could even vote on just who constitutes a "veteran". That'd be an interesting thread.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

I think so.. I mean if you have been here for 3-4 years or however long this site has been active, most of the time you should have some sort of status or certain level of respect. That's at least the way I see it.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KnightRise

Well, I do not even remotely consider myself an OG. But I just left another thread, and four or five new users/alts of banned users were being rude, vulgar, and throwing the term fanboy around at Viners with tens of thousands of post, who in the mean time were conducting a civil debate.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#50  Edited By AssertingValor

I was actually hoping to get more opinions from new viners, The concept of a vetern can mean a broad rage of things. Somebody in my eyes doesn't need to be judged a "veteran" strictly by age or post count i knw. But i still consider myself fairly new since i myself do not contribute that much and im sure i am not widely known at all. I still don't use half of the sites opportunities.

Of course i remember when we still got the newsletter, had Friend buttons instead of "follows", i remember when the site had less than 20,000 members, when the trivia and quests first came out, and i've got to enjoy the new site layouts a few times. In this, i consider myself an experienced viner who has grown with the site over time and have become sort of attached to it and it is one of the things i look forward to using during my free time.

Seasoned viners such as Gambs, Vance, Shatterstar, Feral Nova, Creator, Constantine, Fesak, Dreadnaught, Alpha..... who are our sites backbone to me, i hold great respect for. If and when i communicate with them i treat them as sort of teachers, because everybody knws that the longer you are on here the more you learn, and are likely to have the answers.

I feel sort of depressed when i see my friends leave for long periods or not come back because they do not feel comfortable here anymore, or are banned for lowly reasons.