Avatar image for magnus_carlsen3
#351 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

A Silent Confession | Magnus Carlsen vs Fabiano Caruana - 2018 Sinquefield Cup

Loading Video...

#352 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

U.S. great hope Fabiano Caruana preps for clash with Magnus Carlsen

We’ve been tracking his progress in this space since he was a 14-year-old IM phenom from Brooklyn, winning D.C.’s own Eastern Open more than a decade ago.

Now GM Fabiano Caruana has a chance to match another phenom out of Brooklyn, Bobby Fischer, as he prepares to take on world champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway in a 12-game title match in London. Game 1 takes place Nov. 9, and we’ll have all the action here and at WashingtonTimes.com.

Should the mild-mannered, tough-willed Caruana, now 26, prevail, he will be the first American world champion since Fischer relinquished the title in 1975 and likely will provide yet another boost for the surging American chess scene.

The relentless Norwegian holds a 10-5-18 edge over his challenger in games at classical time controls, but the two have been more evenly matched in recent years, with Caruana just a few ratings points below his 27-year-old rival. If I were a betting man, I’d put this one at too close to call.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/30/us-great-hope-fabiano-caruana-preps-clash-magnus-c/

#353 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

Rex Sinquefield, the American Chess Mogul (Full Segment) | Real Sports w/ Bryant Gumbel | HBO

Loading Video...

#354 Posted by PhantomRant (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Game 1 of WCC 2018

Was watching on stream from time to time. Fabiano played not so well in the opening. Starting in move 20 Black was consistently better. As they neared towards time control, Black was even hovering around a -3 advantage. This of course is because Fab took so much time thinking about the earlier moves but then he defended fast and accurately right before move 40. Magnus was playing very accurately for the first 30 moves and he did his best to put Fabi under pressure but it was Magnus who made a mistake due to time pressure and blew his lead. From then on, the game was accurate. Neither player made any errors and the game unnecessarily extended to 115 moves even though the game could have easily been drawn after 70 moves.

The first 40 moves were very exciting, it looked like Fabi was set to lose in the very first game but he fought back similar to how he saved his game against Magnus in Sinquefield cup. It was an active game and both players were very competitive.

Magnus is a little off-form, but Fabi is also in a little trouble. Time after time he fails in surpassing Magnus in the middlegame. Although it is difficult for Magnus to win against Fabi, the reverse is even more true.

#355 Posted by AbstractRaze (2379 posts) - - Show Bio

How depressing, already the eighth draw in the world Chess Championship 2018, however, I have 2 nice games:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#356 Posted by SocaJunkie (8010 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#357 Posted by Lan_Fan (12666 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie: Prep has been a huge part of chess, especially in a very high level for a very, very long time. Mikhail Botvinnik being one of the best user of prep in World Championship that I know.

#358 Posted by AbstractRaze (2379 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: It were books before, now it are engines.

#359 Posted by Lan_Fan (12666 posts) - - Show Bio
#361 Edited by Lan_Fan (12666 posts) - - Show Bio

@uizachary327: No, I don't even play on Lichess. It would still be a no even I had an account.

#363 Posted by Lan_Fan (12666 posts) - - Show Bio
#364 Edited by AbstractRaze (2379 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: Don't worry about, only unconservative liberal scum thinks that a Lichess or a chess.com account, are a must or indispensable in order to play the game actively.

#365 Posted by Lan_Fan (12666 posts) - - Show Bio

@abstractraze: Haha, I used to play on chess.com, but not anymore. The reason I rejected him completely is because he's a troll with hundreds of alts, and because I haven't been playing for a very long time.

#366 Edited by AbstractRaze (2379 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: And did you visit some academy? did the initiative came by yourself or did you learn the game by your family?

#367 Posted by Lan_Fan (12666 posts) - - Show Bio

@abstractraze: No, I don't visit any academy, but I read some chess books and learned online (YouTube, Chessable, and puzzles on Lichess and Chess.com).

I started playing because I wanted to beat this one guy in my school. I believe I studied for about a month back then. Turned out he was freaking horrible, he couldn't even stop Scholar's Mate. I was like "did I just waste a month of my life for this crap?". Then I was like "ahh screw it, let's just go deeper". It's a weird reason to do something, I know, hahaha.

Avatar image for devils_advocate
#368 Posted by Devils_Advocate (181 posts) - - Show Bio

Easy but fun mate in 2 problems I made up:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

White to move.

#369 Posted by SocaJunkie (8010 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@socajunkie: Prep has been a huge part of chess, especially in a very high level for a very, very long time. Mikhail Botvinnik being one of the best user of prep in World Championship that I know.

I know, it was just a funny comment. I might be bias against Caruana because his style bores me and Botvinnik had the benefit of playing one of the most innovative and exciting players in Tal.

#370 Posted by Lan_Fan (12666 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie: Heheh, I might also be biased. I, for some reason really like slow paced accurate chess with few, but not so insane/risky surprises.

#371 Posted by PhantomRant (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

First WC match with no wins?

#372 Posted by PhantomRant (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, Magnus just dominated him. It wasn't even close

#373 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, Magnus just dominated him. It wasn't even close

To be fair, Magnus dominated him in the faster time control tie breaker. But in Classic time control, they are even.

#374 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (542 posts) - - Show Bio
#375 Posted by PhantomRant (1275 posts) - - Show Bio
#376 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (542 posts) - - Show Bio
#377 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

Agadmator has one of the most popular youtube chess channel. Here in this link is a game by the legendary Capablanca. There is a period in which Capablanca only lost once in 10 years!

Loading Video...

#378 Edited by SuperVision123 (312 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for theoneabovelife
#379 Posted by TheOneAboveLife (255 posts) - - Show Bio
#380 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

@supervision123 said:

Whoever gives the correct answer first gets a follow.

According to the rules of chess, is this position possible? Answer yes/no, and provide a brief explanation.

No Caption Provided

White to move.

@lan_fan@socajunkie@phantomrant@abstractraze@arkham_asylum Any ideas?

This is violation of a chess rule by FIDE.

Article 1: The nature and objectives of the game of chess

The game of chess is played between two opponents who move their pieces on a square board called a ‘chessboard’. The player with the light-coloured pieces (White) makes the first move, then the players move alternately, with the player with the dark-coloured pieces (Black) making the next move. A player is said to ‘have the move’ when his opponent’s move has been ‘made’.

https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=171&view=article

#381 Edited by PhantomRant (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

@supervision123 said:

According to the rules of chess, is this position possible? Answer yes/no, and provide a brief explanation.

No Caption Provided

White to move.

For some reason didn't get a notification from you but got it from magnus.

I do not believe it is possible. At first glance for that position to be possible you'll have to move only the knights and it doesn't seem obvious to me how it could be White to move and all of his pieces are back to their starting position.

#382 Posted by SuperVision123 (312 posts) - - Show Bio
#383 Edited by ArkhamAsylum3 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantomrant: Yes it is possible.

-White moves their knight out.

-Black moves their pawn out one square.

-White moves their knight back to its starting poistion.

-Black moves its pawn another square forwards.

#384 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
#385 Edited by Dernman (25845 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantomrant said:
@supervision123 said:

No Caption Provided

White to move.

For some reason didn't get a notification from you but got it from magnus.

I do not believe it is possible. At first glance for that position to be possible you'll have to move only the knights and it doesn't seem obvious to me how it could be White to move and all of his pieces are back to their starting position.

Yes

You can get into that position in four moves.

1. White Knight makes a move jumping pawn.
  2. Black Pawn moves forward only one.
  3. White Knight jumps pawn to it's original position.
  4. Black Pawn moves forward one again.

Now it's white to move.

#386 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: You are aware pawns can't move back to their original position right?

#387 Edited by Dernman (25845 posts) - - Show Bio

@arkhamasylum3 said:

@dernman: You are aware pawns can't move back to their originIal position right?

I didn't say pawn moved back. I said Knight moves back. My explanation says pawn moves forward one space each turn.

#388 Edited by ArkhamAsylum3 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@arkhamasylum3 said:

@dernman: You are aware pawns can't move back to their originIal position right?

I didn't say pawns moved back. I said Knight moves back. My explanation says pawn moves forward one space each turn.

You literally just edited your post to change it to that lol. It said pawn originally.

#389 Posted by Dernman (25845 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@arkhamasylum3 said:

I didn't say pawns moved back. I said Knight moves back. My explanation says pawn moves forward one space each turn.

You literally just edited your post to fix it lol.

Ask a mode to check. I did not edit my pawns move.

#390 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: What's a mode lol?

Reagrdless I'm pretty sure the mods have better things to do than check a post that isn't even offending anyone.

#391 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman:

White Knight makes a move jumping pawn.

White Knight jumps pawn to it's original position.

Also you're telling me this isn't a failed edit lol.

That doesn't make sense and it's incredibly obvious you edited the Knight in as the sentence makes perfect sense without it but no sense with it.

Checkmate bro.

#392 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio
#393 Edited by Dernman (25845 posts) - - Show Bio

@arkhamasylum3 said:

@dernman: What's a mode lol?

Mode is just another way to say Moderator or Mod.

Reagrdless I'm pretty sure the mods have better things to do than check a post that isn't even offending anyone.

That's like saying they're not also users who like to communicate with other users.

It's not an insult or imposition to ask. Either they will do it or they wont.

#394 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Don't need the mods to check it anyway given it's incredibly obvious you edited it.

@dernman:

That doesn't make sense and it's incredibly obvious you edited the Knight in as the sentence makes perfect sense without it but no sense with it.

Checkmate bro.

#395 Posted by SuperVision123 (312 posts) - - Show Bio
#396 Edited by Dernman (25845 posts) - - Show Bio

@arkhamasylum3 said:

@dernman:

Checkmate bro.

You're making this into a bigger thing than it is.

White Knight jumps pawn to it's original position

That's the white knight jumping the white pawn to get back to it's original position as it would have to. I don't see how you think that is a pawn jumping back especially since the very next move the black pawn moves again.

#397 Posted by Dernman (25845 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Don't need the mods to check it anyway given it's incredibly obvious you edited it.

@arkhamasylum3 said:

@dernman:

Checkmate bro.

I never said I didn't edit my post to better format it. I said I didn't edit my pawns move. You're being disingenuous and trolling.

#398 Edited by Dernman (25845 posts) - - Show Bio

@supervision123 said:

No editing, one chance per person, an incorrect answer will be ignored, and the first correct answer is rewarded with a follow.

I didn't edit/change my answer. It was the same answer just reformatted to be clearer.

I don't care about the follow or being first to get the answer but I'm not going to be accused of cheating or lying about my answer.

Edit: I'm sounding more upset than I am.

#399 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: You caught me I was trolling. Regardless I still answered first so I win.

#400 Edited by ArkhamAsylum3 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@supervision123:

That White pawn can't be at G4 as it can't have taken any black pawns in the G row due to the fact that the only pawn it could have taken is the black pawn that started in row F if that pawn moved to row G but it very clearly didn't as it would have needed to take a White pawn to do and it very obviously hasn't as all the White Pawns are still on the board.