Avatar image for magnus_carlsen3
#301 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@magnus_carlsen3: John B almost robbed him from that achievement lol

(He beat Praggnanandhaa to stop him from getting a norm).

Good thing he pulls it off. But it is not easy to pronounce or spell his name. lol.

#302 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio
#303 Posted by Lan_Fan (14885 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: Too bad the time control is too short and that guy wouldn't stop talking as if playing in front of that many people wasn't unnerving enough for a 3 year old -_-

#304 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@magnus_carlsen3: Too bad the time control is too short and that guy wouldn't stop talking as if playing in front of that many people wasn't unnerving enough for a 3 year old -_-

yeah i understand. but that is his job as a host of not allowing a long period of silence in front of the audience.

#305 Posted by Lan_Fan (14885 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: Could've invited another chess player to explain/be asked about what was going on instead. Interview on how Misha felt during the game could've easily been done after the game in my opinion.

#306 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@magnus_carlsen3: Could've invited another chess player to explain/be asked about what was going on instead. Interview on how Misha felt during the game could've easily been done after the game in my opinion.

Valid points. But at his age i think most of his opponents must be talking to him in casual matches because they must be mesmerize playing a 3 years old. So he must be already used to what the host is doing. But as i told you made valid points.

#307 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#308 Posted by EmpressOfDread (12367 posts) - - Show Bio

I uses to play Chess. But lost my interest slowly.

#309 Posted by Perethorn (6295 posts) - - Show Bio

I like chess

But it's been a while since the last time i played it (10 years).

#310 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

I uses to play Chess. But lost my interest slowly.

Try playing blitz chess at lichess or chess.com, it is addicting.

#311 Posted by SocaJunkie (8654 posts) - - Show Bio

Caruana ain’t winning in November.

#312 Posted by Lan_Fan (14885 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie: Don't count him out yet, we still don't know what he's been preparing for Magnus.

#313 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

Caruana's best chance of beating Carlsen is in classical time control because it will be harder for him at rapid time control.

#314 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

Tal Creates Absolute Madness on the Board!

Loading Video...

#315 Posted by Lan_Fan (14885 posts) - - Show Bio
#316 Posted by PhantomRant (1392 posts) - - Show Bio

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/31th-leon-masters-2018/1/1/1

#317 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@magnus_carlsen3: I wonder what would it be like if prime Tal played in 2018.

To be honest, i think most of Tal's sacrifices will not work against the top players because the defensive ability of the players today have improved. In his time Tal's attack does not work against a top player that has good defense. For example Korchnoi has a good positive score against Tal.

#318 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

Magnus Carlsen Summons his Inner Morphy | Sacrifice, after Sacrifice, after Sacrifice

Loading Video...

#319 Edited by SocaJunkie (8654 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, Ramesh could have beaten So in game 2 by playing Bxf6 and he’d have probably won the match.

#320 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio
#321 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

This is one of my favorite Lagrave game. Notice the difference in rooks and queen activities. . Lagrave's rooks and queen are pressuring the pawn weaknesses. h4,h5 and h6 is the principle of two weakness. There are situations in which 1 weakness is not enough. So lagrave tried to create another weakness on his opponent's kingside.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1565420

#322 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Bishop | Magnus Carlsen vs Sergey Karjakin - 2018 Sinquefield Cup

Loading Video...

#323 Posted by mrmonster (15603 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always loved chess. Unfortunately, I don't get the opportunity to play against people very often. Fortunately, my phone has a free chess app.

#324 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio
#325 Posted by KyleBroflovski (782 posts) - - Show Bio

Carlsen's mastery of both position and tactical know how is incredible.

#326 Posted by Lan_Fan (14885 posts) - - Show Bio
#327 Edited by AbstractRaze (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

Wanted to share this beautiful game between the legends Mikhail Tal and Kasparov, one month before Mikhail Tal died, and the astonishing thing, is that Tal came from the hospital in order to play his last tournament with the hopes to encounter Kasparov in his prime form and he managed to defeat him in 17 moves, what a man, what a legend.

RIP Mikhail Tal, 1936-1992.

Loading Video...

#328 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio
#329 Edited by Lan_Fan (14885 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: I think I'm more on Agadmator's side there. It's kind of similar to the accusations that were made to big Youtubers like Pewdiepie. Smaller and irrelevant channels or websites are allowed to take shots at anyone and talk about whatever they want, but the famous ones are not allowed to reply or to address some issues because it counts as sending their fanbase to attack the other side.

That's bullshit.

#330 Edited by AbstractRaze (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: I don't really know what's the matter with this all, Svidler is a sobbing lad without testosterone values.

#331 Edited by SocaJunkie (8654 posts) - - Show Bio

Svidler is a dickhead.

#332 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

That email is also posted in the SLCC website. Svider sthould have realize that it is a public thing.

#333 Posted by Nerise (922 posts) - - Show Bio

lol dorks, play a real sport

#334 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

Wanted to share this beautiful game between the legends Mikhail Tal and Kasparov, one month before Mikhail Tal died, and the astonishing thing, is that Tal came from the hospital in order to play his last tournament with the hopes to encounter Kasparov in his prime form and he managed to defeat him in 17 moves, what a man, what a legend.

Loading Video...

If only Tal is healthy, he could have reached greater heights.

I was still too weak to understand his chess ideas at that time but I remember being covered in smoke.

Alexei Shirov

#335 Edited by AbstractRaze (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3 said:
@abstractraze said:

Loading Video...

If only Tal is healthy, he could have reached greater heights.

I was still too weak to understand his chess ideas at that time but I remember being covered in smoke.

Alexei Shirov

Well, in my opinion, Tal's style, is a style which accepts humanity's barriers, it's a style which entries in the psychological field and toys with it.

His style is irrational and very rational at the same time, I would call it as an ethereal style because I'm not able to find the right definition for it, current engines, still can't figure out some calculations, we see it when they face some chess problems. For instance, current engines are rational from the beginning, but only because your previous movement was irrational, it does not mean that it could not boost the next rational movement furthermore, AlphaZero was an example at the time he faced Stockfish 8 (not 9) and Stockfish 8 utterly outclasses AlphaZero in terms of blunt calculations, but at the end of the day, AlphaZero defeated Stockfish.

Tal's style is way too complicated to master and it requires far more skill IMO, furthermore, Tal's style prioritizes positions, however, I'm not the right individual to analyze his style because it's beyond common understandings, the humanity's insecurity is likely to choice Stockfish's way and try to be always rational.

Sorry for the late answer, I was a little unsure how to express myself about the matter.

#336 Posted by Lan_Fan (14885 posts) - - Show Bio

@abstractraze: I'd actually rank Magnus above prime Tal to be honest.

#337 Edited by AbstractRaze (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

Because Magnus has a completely different style and he's the best, he follows Stockfish's path which is a more solid style, but Tal's style is wayyy more complex, I assume that in order to master such style and be solid, you would need over 200 years of experience + Tal's talent and Tal was in diapers regarding his style.

#338 Posted by ArkhamAsylum3 (3920 posts) - - Show Bio

I really need to get back into chess. I played pretty conisistently and went to tournaments and stuff about 2 years ago but now I don't.

#339 Posted by Subline (8420 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerise said:

Judging by your Profile Picture, you probably sit in your room all day making bad memes that were funny 8 years ago.

#340 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

I rank karpov, lasker,anand,capablanca, kasparov,fischer,carlsen etc ahead of tal.

#341 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

What are your lichess or chess.com accounts? Let us a create a comicvine chess group at chess.com. I am not sure if you can do a group at lichess.

#342 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36845 posts) - - Show Bio

I like chess, but I really never developed any real skill at it outside of basic knowledge.

#343 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

I like chess, but I really never developed any real skill at it outside of basic knowledge.

Try playing at lichess and solve their free puzzles there. Your game will improve.

#344 Posted by Nerise (922 posts) - - Show Bio

@subline said:
@nerise said:

Judging by your Profile Picture, you probably sit in your room all day making bad memes that were funny 8 years ago.

Let me guess, your strategic chess skills in deduction and probability helped you figure that out

#345 Posted by Subline (8420 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#346 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually really talented at chess.

#347 Edited by jagernutt (16706 posts) - - Show Bio

In 5th grade I was a champion. It's been quite a while since I've even touched a chess board now.

#348 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

How a Beginner Should Study Tactics?

Rather than solving random tactics problems, a beginner should solve puzzles arrange by themes. With this method, it will be easier for a beginner to learn these different tactical patterns and then later on, when they already improve their pattern recognition, they can solve random puzzles. They should also not only solve checkmate problems. They must also solve puzzles that win materials by way of pin,fork,discovery,decoy,removing the guard etc. Solving only checkmate problems, they might develop a habit of only looking for a mate. In a game of chess, there are more tactical opportunities to win material than a checkmate combination.

#349 Posted by Nerise (922 posts) - - Show Bio
#350 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio