#251 Posted by PhantomRant (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: I was wrong. I severely underestimated karjakin. He was almost dead last at some point in the first half and now he's tied with caruana in the lead. In fact, he beated Caruana to be in the lead now... I'm really not excited for another Karjakin vs Carlsen because I want something new but the best must challenge him.

Anyone else surprised at the strikes of misfortune Aronian is having in the candidates despite a great 2017 for him?

Yes this has been terrible for him and So.

Avatar image for magnus_carlsen3
#252 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: I was wrong. I severely underestimated karjakin. He was almost dead last at some point in the first half and now he's tied with caruana in the lead. In fact, he beated Caruana to be in the lead now... I'm really not excited for another Karjakin vs Carlsen because I want something new but the best must challenge him.

@socajunkie said:

Anyone else surprised at the strikes of misfortune Aronian is having in the candidates despite a great 2017 for him?

Yes this has been terrible for him and So.

@phantomrant yeah, just when i told that caruana has the lead, karjakin strikes. to be fair, that is an impressive exchange sacrifice by karjakin. i also want a new challenger, but i think karjakin will still be an interesting opponent. he has given magnus a hard time in their world championship match.

@socajunkie yeah it is surprising as many thinks aronian is the favorite. many also expect wesley to perform better than what he have shown.

#253 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

Fabiano Caruana 1st American since Bobby Fischer to reach World Chess Championship

In what's being billed as a historic result for American chess, Fabiano Caruana has emerged after an 18-day competition in Berlin, Germany, as the next challenger for the World Championship title. He will face off against reigning World Champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway in November in a 12-game one-on-one match.

A U.S. grandmaster hasn't won the title of undisputed champion since 1972, when Bobby Fischer defeated Boris Spassky of the USSR.

The qualifying tournament was close, with two rounds left and five of the eight players able to come out on top. It wasn't until Caruana's crucial win against Armenia's Levon Aronian in the penultimate round that put him half a point ahead of his closest rivals.

"Congratulations to Fabiano Caruana, who wins the #Candidates2018 in style, by a full point!" the U.S. Chess Federation tweeted.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fabiano-caruana-vs-magnus-carlsen-world-chess-championship-2018-match/

#254 Posted by PhantomRant (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

I am happy with the outcome.

#255 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantomrant said:

I am happy with the outcome.

Caruana is an imaginative player. He might be Carlsen`s toughest opponent so far.

Beginner to Chess Master #5 - What to do in a chess opening?

Loading Video...

#256 Posted by jagernutt (16346 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a Chess club champion

#257 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

Beginner to Chess Master #15 - Target Practice

Loading Video...

#258 Posted by PhantomRant (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a Chess club champion

Do you know roughly what your elo was?

#259 Posted by jagernutt (16346 posts) - - Show Bio

@jagernutt:

No because I was in 5th grade.T hat was years ago. I just quickly won every match that year. I lost the certificate of paper the same day I received it.

#260 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

Wow. Beginner to Chess Master Series by ChessNetwork is one the best chess series videos for beginners. It starts here.

#261 Edited by PhantomRant (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

No because I was in 5th grade.T hat was years ago. I just quickly won every match that year. I lost the certificate of paper the same day I received it.

Alright, wanna play quick game? Let's see how quickly you can regain your prime. Maybe you'll even get better then ever.

#262 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

Hikaru Nakamura Vs South African Chess Hustler: Amazing Endgame Speed

Loading Video...

#263 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

This is an instructive commentary by IM Danny Rensch in a match between blitz Gods Carlsen and Nakamura.

Loading Video...

#264 Posted by PhantomRant (1369 posts) - - Show Bio
#265 Posted by obitoad (200 posts) - - Show Bio

i play it. its fun. i think im good, but id really know, since i always lose agaisnt whom i play with.

#266 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantomrant said:

@jagernutt

@magnus_carlsen3@aka_aka_aka_ak@socajunkie

Would any of you be interested in joining a lichess tournament that me and my chess team will be hosting? We're looking for new people to join and to give some time to practice.

I will try. I have not tried lichess. Kindly just send me the tournament link/group. Invite also @khael as he might be interested to join.

#267 Posted by SMXLR8 (6700 posts) - - Show Bio

I just recently started to look into this game lol

#268 Edited by PhantomRant (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@smxlr8: @obitoad:

Do either of you want to join in on the tourney? We have our own chess place and there are people who can help you improve also.

@phantomrant said:

@jagernutt

@magnus_carlsen3@aka_aka_aka_ak@socajunkie

Would any of you be interested in joining a lichess tournament that me and my chess team will be hosting? We're looking for new people to join and to give some time to practice.

I will try. I have not tried lichess. Kindly just send me the tournament link/group. Invite also @khael as he might be interested to join.

Alright, sent you a msg.

#269 Posted by obitoad (200 posts) - - Show Bio
#270 Edited by AbstractRaze (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

Wanted to share this unique and amazing queen sacrifice by Rashid, I will always label it as one of the greatest moves in chess history.

Loading Video...

#271 Posted by PhantomRant (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@obitoad said:

well, elaborate lol

It'll be done on lichess.com and have a mix of newbs and strong players. We will do our best to match players up based on playing strength and time zone/schedule. You will be put in a group and place against every player in that group. person with the highest score will play against the highest scorer in another group and so on. Don't know what kind of tournament will be, but it will likely involve speed chess time controls. We have our own discussion forum where stronger players can help you improve chess. I can give you the link. Sound good?

#272 Edited by obitoad (200 posts) - - Show Bio

sure why not.... well, there is always a why not, so here is kinda mine: believe u me when i say that even if it was on a saturday, i would have no time at all. otherwise, i would play.. but please keep me informed, if u can, anyways,

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
#273 Posted by deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76 (10909 posts) - - Show Bio

Who wants to play a forum Chess game?

#274 Posted by PhantomRant (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@crash_ said:

lets do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
#275 Edited by deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76 (10909 posts) - - Show Bio

@crash_ said:

lets do it.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/off-topic-5/crash-vs-phantomrant-ufc-ultimate-final-chess-p-ma-1944915/

#276 Edited by AbstractRaze (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm damn sick of Alphazero's arrogant gaming style, I want Stockfish to kick his ass, Stockfish should update and destroy him.

In addition, Alphazero destroyed and outclassed the French Defense and uses Queen’s Gambit and the English as white and the Berlin Defense as black.

We all know that in the French Defense, there is a weak bishop, but to outclass it so deeply while Stockfish could never find the solution toward a possible exploit over it, devasted me very deep, because the French Defense was my most favorite build when I was younger, now it's pretty much dead, thanks to this bastard of Alphazero! But I won't lose hopes, I hope Stockfish updates and kicks his ass, for once and for all, even with the French Defense, I mean, if the bishop is indeed lame, I think there must be a purpose for it, maybe a unique sacrifice which potentially could change the equation as the game advances.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#277 Posted by Buckwheat (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

I once won the third place in a chess competition at school.

There were only 4 people, but still.

That's better than me. I was 4th place in a chess competition.

There where only 3 people playing.

#278 Edited by AbstractRaze (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

@buckwheat: You both must be very unlucky, but it's a matter of cultural aspects in your cities or regions, I'm living in Frankfurt am Main a city in the Bundesland Hessen, where Chess is deeply infused within our conservative routines, alone in my school, we had 120-150 participants, now in the universities it's even more intensive.

#279 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#280 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a chess expert.

I have heaps of trophies for winning competitions.

I've stooped recently though due to other dedications.

#281 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

Wanted to share this unique and amazing queen sacrifice by Rashid, I will always label it as one of the greatest moves in chess history.

Loading Video...

A masterpiece. Rashid makes Tal games looks like a peaceful one.

#282 Edited by AbstractRaze (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: I awkward Rashid's dark bishop on C3, it had an untradeable value, it was in fact, a golden bishop or beyond the mere definition of value within the subject, then the synergy with the light bishop on B3, I was speechless, I mean, when both bishops experiences a total synergy, it's the most valuable synergy in the entire game, specially when we're talking about the transition from mid game to late game.

In short, the Queen sacrifice in order to take off Black's dark bishop in relation to the upcoming White's bishops synergy, is the main reason why White's dark bishop became so valuable or beyond the definition of value within the main subject, in short again, it had an infinite value, considering the following positions.

It's really incredible too witness, how a part of the White's Queen value and its magnificent sacrifice, was transferred into the White's dark bishop, those boosting the bishop's value to incalculable levels, it's brilliant and gorgeous if you ask me.

One of the most beautiful things of this game, is that even a pawn with the mere target to obtain spacing advantages, can perfectly transcend to an infinite value potentially obstructing openings on the adversary's field, which are most likely obtained through openings like Queen's Gambit as White or through the Sicilian defense as Black.

Here are another interesting couple of sets between Leela Zero and Stockfish 9 'not 8', also, we're talking about current Stockfish in his prime form a.k.a Cruel Bot, he took all games and Leela Zero is on a near gaming level in comparison to Alphazero, now Stockfish 9 took them all with relative low difficulties.

People are speculating that Stockfish 9 and AlphaZero are already playing in off-panel.

Loading Video...

#283 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is Morphy's famous opera game.

Loading Video...

#284 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried lichess. Everything is cool except you will lose on time even though your opponent has insufficient material to mate you. My opponent has a bishop left and i have a rook and a pawn. I lost n time. In chess.com(or otb tournaments) the game is draw if your time expired,but your opponent has insufficient material to mate you.

#285 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

To get better at chess, you need to increase your pattern knowledge in tactics,strategies and endgames. You need to look at various examples of a theme. The bishop vs knight minor piece battle is a fascinating one. The position dictates on who is better between a bishop or a knight. At closed position a knight is better. Bishop likes open position. Bishop pairs are powerful in majority of the position.Great players like Kasparov and Fischer like the bishops. Player like Petrosian like the knights(working at closed position). So you should seek positions that favors your minor piece.

Knight vs bad bishop.

http://www.usefulchess.com/tactics/bad-bishop-good-knight.html

The power of bishop pair!

https://thechessworld.com/articles/middle-game/bishop-pair-5-things-to-know/

Bishop is better at endgames against knight with open position.

https://chesscentral.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/an-endgame-clinic-bishop-vs-knight/

#286 Edited by AbstractRaze (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

Stockfish 9 rescues the French defense through the advanced variation against AI Leelachess, an opening which was almost killed by AI Alphazero when he matched Stockfish 8.

Stockfish 9 is my boy! he managed to clear the center very efficiently those giving black's Queen bishop a very strong passive influence between early and midgame, just brilliant, a clear compensation for a lame early bishop.

Loading Video...

#287 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the way GM King explain things. His videos are good.

Tempting Fate - Wesley So vs Magnus Carlsen | Norway Chess 2018 Round 6

Loading Video...

#288 Posted by Kha-El (180 posts) - - Show Bio

I think John Bartholomew is the most instructional chess Youtuber I've ever seen.

Loading Video...

And you just don't get bored listening to him.

#289 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

@kha-el said:

I think John Bartholomew is the most instructional chess Youtuber I've ever seen.

Loading Video...

And you just don't get bored listening to him.

yeah. John Bartholomew is really good at teaching. his fundamental series is great.

#290 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

Many beginner players does not know what is an En Passant capture. Here is a video teaching it.

Learn Chess: How to Capture "En Passant"

Loading Video...

#291 Posted by Lan_Fan (13369 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: I only know 1 friend that knows how to capture en passant. One time on over the board game with my friend, I had a chance to capture en passant but didn't do it because I was too lazy to explain the move and there was a possibility that they would've accused me of making up rules for my benefit. :P

#292 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@magnus_carlsen3: I only know 1 friend that knows how to capture en passant. One time on over the board game with my friend, I had a chance to capture en passant but didn't do it because I was too lazy to explain the move and there was a possibility that they would've accused me of making up rules for my benefit. :P

i also have a friend who i play casual otb games before that don't know en passant. he won't allow me to do this and just give in.

#293 Posted by BladeOfFury (2965 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the game, I often use lichess. Did anyone try anti-chess?

#294 Posted by Lan_Fan (13369 posts) - - Show Bio

@bladeoffury: Ehh, I try to stay out from these weird versions of chess like Checkers, Bughouse, Crazy House, etc.

#295 Posted by BladeOfFury (2965 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: Yup, they don’t compare to the real thing.

#296 Posted by Lan_Fan (13369 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@supermanforever: Aronian had a really great year, last year. My favorite super Grandmaster is Wesley So.... But my fav chess player in general is John Bartholomew, his videos taught me a lot of things that I know and use in my chess games, plus he's very entertaining, charismatic and funny.

But we're not supposed to talk about this in this thread, you can find "Chess thread" in the Off-Topic forum if you want to. :D

Im watching Paris grand chess tour right now. So is playing there. Both him and Aronian won first round :p

Im also watching the real clash of titans. Stockfish vs komodo the engine superfinal. the way engines plays is mindbuggling.

I haven't followed Paris Grand Chess tour, still studying games from Norway chess tournament.

Ahhh, engine games, I don't quite get what are they doing sometimes lol

Avatar image for supermanforever
#297 Posted by Supermanforever (8203 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:
@supermanforever said:
@lan_fan said:

@supermanforever: Aronian had a really great year, last year. My favorite super Grandmaster is Wesley So.... But my fav chess player in general is John Bartholomew, his videos taught me a lot of things that I know and use in my chess games, plus he's very entertaining, charismatic and funny.

But we're not supposed to talk about this in this thread, you can find "Chess thread" in the Off-Topic forum if you want to. :D

Im watching Paris grand chess tour right now. So is playing there. Both him and Aronian won first round :p

Im also watching the real clash of titans. Stockfish vs komodo the engine superfinal. the way engines plays is mindbuggling.

I haven't followed Paris Grand Chess tour, still studying games from Norway chess tournament.

Ahhh, engine games, I don't quite get what are they doing sometimes lol

Engine games are weird, but they teach alot

#298 Posted by Lan_Fan (13369 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanforever: I don't think their moves during opening (I've learnt some opening theories) or middle games are that confusing. But their ability on endgames are unrivaled lmao. Can't wait to see finished version of Leela Chess Zero and Alpha Zero, they might as well change our perspective on certain things in chess.

#299 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (558 posts) - - Show Bio

Praggnanandhaa becomes world's second youngest Grandmaster at 12 years, 10 months & 13 days

At 12 years, 10 months and 13 days, R Praggnanandhaa has become the world's second youngest Grandmaster, and the youngest ever Indian to achieve the feat after reaching the final round at the Gredine Open in Italy.

Pragnnandhaa beat GM Moroni Luca Jr in the eighth round and just needed to play an opponent above a rating of 2482 in the final round to make his third norm. A pairing with GM Prujjsers Roeland, rated 2514, made it possible. Ukraine's Sergey Karjakin remains the youngest ever GM - he achieved the feat in 2002 at 12 years and 7 months remains.

http://www.espn.in/chess/story/_/id/23887946/india-praggnanandhaa-becomes-world-second-youngest-grandmaster-12-years-10-months-13-days

#300 Posted by Lan_Fan (13369 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: John B almost robbed him from that achievement lol

(He beat Praggnanandhaa to stop him from getting a norm).