Avatar image for arranvidreturns
#151 Edited by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@arranvidreturns said:

@magnus_carlsen3: I have more questions for you

Deep Blue vs the most recent Stockfish

Fritz in Bahrain vs the most recent Stockfish

who wins?

I think Stockfish wins both of these matches, right?

The last chess computer I ever had was Fritz in Bahrain

In Primary School I was Chess Captain and our team played a match against Fritz for a charity...this was about the year 2004. We lost but we were each given a Fritz in Bahrain CD as a gift. We were in the magazine because of that match lol

The latest engines today like Komodo and Stockfish will beat Fritz. I think no human grandmaster today can beat an optimize modern engines in a match.

That is cool to be in a magazine. Do you compete in chess tournaments? So you drew with a 1750 stockfish. You must be close at national master strength?

I don't know whether I'm close at NM strength...I don't think I'm that strong :-)

#152 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@magnus_carlsen3 said:
@khael said:
@momus said:

I used to play all the time when I was youngrer until my chess set was smashed. I kind of just lost interest atter that.

There's online chess now :P

I don't have chess set either currently.

Did you already try registering at chess.com?

Not yet, I'm in a middle of mid-test week right now, maybe later

@arranvidreturns said:
@magnus_carlsen3 said:
@khael said:
@momus said:

I used to play all the time when I was youngrer until my chess set was smashed. I kind of just lost interest atter that.

There's online chess now :P

I don't have chess set either currently.

Did you already try registering at chess.com?

@arranvidreturns

I can relate. The first thing i noticed with Kasparov is his surname. That surname feels like a destroyer. True enough Kasparov is a destroyer at a chess board. My co worker named his son Magnus.

Yeah Garry's surname looked cool to me too when I was a kid :-) all the time in news articles I used to see Karpov vs Kasparov pop up all over the place...the guys with the two cool similar surnames battling it out over and over again lol yeah the surname does feel like a destroyer!

Your co-worker must love Magnus' Chess then :-)

Or maybe he likes Magneto or Magnus Bane.... We can't be sure.

True :-)

#153 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@magnus_carlsen3: @arranvidreturns: What do you guys think about Garry Kasparov's master class?

I think it's great

I've never used it...does it cost money?

I have one of Garry's old teaching books though...it was a useful book. I was given that book after I got angry after losing to an adult in a tournament...I was about 13 lol. One of the people running the tournament gave me that book and that was very kind of him. I remember breaking off one of the car's mirrors in anger lol.

I don't know whether it will make people go up to near National Master level or something like that but it will probably make them learn more about different techniques and stuff

Maybe there are beginner/intermediate/advanced lessons in the masterclass?

It costs a lot of money, I think.....

There are 20 videos in total, It's still coming soon.

Avatar image for magnus_carlsen3
#154 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

Lol, WOW

That's so useful lmao

@magnus_carlsen3 said:

@khael

You will love these!

25 Standard Check Mates

http://www.serverchess.com/checkmate.htm

Gaining chess mates pattern knowledge is essential for improvement as this will help you in spotting mate several moves ahead if opportunity present itself.

Thanks ^_^

Also, what do you think about this (Bu is now eliminated as well)

@khael said:

@magnus_carlsen3: Carlsen, Nakamura and Kramnik are all eliminated :'(

WTH lol, who are you guys rooting for now? These Chinese guys are killing it hehehe, I'll probably go with Bu or Ivanchuk.

Bu got eliminated by Svidler( a former world number 4). I have this feeling that Aronian will win this world cup 2017. I have heard it, but I am not familiar with that. Kasparov is a great author, so i expect his master class will be good. If you plan to buy it, maybe you should read first the reviews reviews. There are good free online tutorial there. John Bartholomew's Fundamental Chess Series at youtube is a good one. Personally i prefer books. A good beginners book is How to Win At Chess by GM King.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Chess-Daniel-King/dp/185744072

#155 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: YES, I also follow John's youtube channel!! I also like GM Huschenbeth and Agadmator for entertainment.

I'm currently reading Logical Chess: Move by Move from Irving Chernev.

#156 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@magnus_carlsen3: YES, I also follow John's youtube channel!! I also like GM Huschenbeth and Agadmator for entertainment.

I'm currently reading Logical Chess: Move by Move from Irving Chernev.

Nice. Many love that Logical Chess book by Chernev.

#157 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio
#158 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio
#159 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

Levon might even meet Magnus in the World Championship Final...yes I'm getting ahead of myself ;-)

I think Levon could become the new WC after beating Magnus!!

#160 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Like Ivanchuk, Aronian is very talented. But like Ivanchuk nerves at times let him down. If Aronian will be composed he has a good chance against Carlsen.

This is a positional masterpiece by Lagrave. Too bad he got eliminated. This game reminds me of boa constrictor karpov at his prime.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1886030

#161 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio
#162 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: Of course not

After playing some games I think I know checkmate patterns, I also studies a lot of famous games.

#163 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@magnus_carlsen3: Of course not

After playing some games I think I know checkmate patterns, I also studies a lot of famous games.

I will give a simple advice told by a Grandmaster. Just by solving as little as 1 chess puzzle everyday will improve your tactical ability. After 1 year, you will notice how much you are better at calculation and spotting tactics. The problems must be combination of mates and tactics for material gains like pin,fork, discovery etc.

Games by Capablanca,Morphy, and Fischer are always used for chess lessons.

Here is a good explanation on what position favors a bishop or Knight.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-a-bishop-worth-more-than-a-knight-How-much-is-a-bishop-worth-compared-to-a-knight

#164 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: True, I'm working on it. I also watch a LOT of chessgames, with commentary which helps me improve my game greatly.

#165 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio
#166 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Checkmate with Two Bishops

Loading Video...

#168 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@magnus_carlsen3: True, I'm working on it. I also watch a LOT of chessgames, with commentary which helps me improve my game greatly.

Are you familiar with these endgames? These are necessary knowledge and nice to know. Bartholomew explained it well.

Chess Endgame Fundamentals: King + Pawn vs. King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLyRWZPXUzI

Chess Endgame: Rook Pawn + Bishop of Wrong Color

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ3eB6_Ol24

Yes, I've watched most of Bart's instructional videos, they are all very useful and informative. Such an amazing teacher, he should be a GM tbh, he's really good.

#169 Posted by PhantomRant (1388 posts) - - Show Bio

played against 2 opponents in a chess tourney on another anime forum today. 2 wins, 3 losses. Shame because in my last game I was just 2 moves from checkmate when I lost on time. will play my 3rd opponent tomorrow before I move onto the 2nd bracket.

#170 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

played against 2 opponents in a chess tourney on another anime forum today. 2 wins, 3 losses. Shame because in my last game I was just 2 moves from checkmate when I lost on time. will play my 3rd opponent tomorrow before I move onto the 2nd bracket.

good luck. that is part of learning experience.

#171 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@magnus_carlsen3 said:
@khael said:

Are you familiar with these endgames? These are necessary knowledge and nice to know. Bartholomew explained it well.

Chess Endgame Fundamentals: King + Pawn vs. King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLyRWZPXUzI

Chess Endgame: Rook Pawn + Bishop of Wrong Color

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ3eB6_Ol24

Yes, I've watched most of Bart's instructional videos, they are all very useful and informative. Such an amazing teacher, he should be a GM tbh, he's really good.

Sometimes the best chess teachers are not GMs. There are even NMs that are great teachers. But i do hope that he achieved a GM title.

#172 Posted by PhantomRant (1388 posts) - - Show Bio

won 2-1 against my 3rd opponent on lichess. That first game was embarrassing. I was guaranteed to checkmate him in 10 moves when I made an elementary blunder and got checkmated in 1 ROFL.

#173 Posted by _Gaff_ (5109 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I am going to focus on 960 Chess.

#174 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3 said:

won 2-1 against my 3rd opponent on lichess. That first game was embarrassing. I was guaranteed to checkmate him in 10 moves when I made an elementary blunder and got checkmated in 1 ROFL.

What is the time control in your matches? Is it blitz?

#175 Posted by PhantomRant (1388 posts) - - Show Bio

What is the time control in your matches? Is it blitz?

It was 10 minutes with 5 second increments

#176 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Master the Secrets of the Isolani with GM Liem Le Quang (FIDE 2718) [Master Method]

Loading Video...
#177 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many beginners' mistakes. Here are some in the list:

Memorizing many opening variations

• What if your opponent played a move that you don’t memorize? You won’t know what to do. A beginner should just learn opening principles and study endgames and tactics.

Not solving chess puzzles.

• At beginners level, blunders often happen. To improve your tactical ability, you need to solve chess puzzles everyday

Not castling when it is necessary

• Castling makes your king safe and it connects your rooks. So unless you know what you are doing, always castle

Moving the same piece twice in the opening

• Unless you have good reason to do so, don’t move the same piece twice in the opening. You should develop all your pieces.

Not studying your opponent’s last move

• You should always study your opponent’s last move as you might missed a threat

Not looking at the whole board

• You should always look at the whole board to see piece positioning. Not looking at the whole board is one of the reason why chess players make a blunder that loses material(or them getting mated)
#178 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio
#179 Posted by PhantomRant (1388 posts) - - Show Bio
#180 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio
#181 Posted by RKelly (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Aronian was great this year, he poses the biggest threat to Carlsen's world title, though the last time they played was during the London Chess Classic like a few days ago in which Carlsen won so that could maybe have a psychological effect on Aronian

#182 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@rkelly said:

Aronian was great this year, he poses the biggest threat to Carlsen's world title, though the last time they played was during the London Chess Classic like a few days ago in which Carlsen won so that could maybe have a psychological effect on Aronian

Lol, he's also savage af. Pretty sure you've seen the interview if you've watched LCC hahaha.

#183 Posted by RKelly (250 posts) - - Show Bio
#184 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@rkelly said:

@khael: The one with Maurice?

Yup, that was pretty funny xD

#185 Posted by RKelly (250 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael: Did you see what Maurice told Carlsen during the Paris chess tour? He called his games not so 'smooth' and Magnus got triggered lol

#186 Posted by PhantomRant (1388 posts) - - Show Bio

i am rated 2000.

Do you want to join a chess team? On another anime forum I'm on, there's a chess community of 10-15 people where we hold tourneys and challenge each other in Shokugeki-style matches on Lichess. Players range anywhere from 1300 to 2100 elo. We're looking for more chess players to join if not to play then maybe to help us study and learn more advanced chess techniques.

#187 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@rkelly said:

@khael: Did you see what Maurice told Carlsen during the Paris chess tour? He called his games not so 'smooth' and Magnus got triggered lol

LOL, yes xD

#188 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3 said:

i am rated 2000.

Do you want to join a chess team? On another anime forum I'm on, there's a chess community of 10-15 people where we hold tourneys and challenge each other in Shokugeki-style matches on Lichess. Players range anywhere from 1300 to 2100 elo. We're looking for more chess players to join if not to play then maybe to help us study and learn more advanced chess techniques.

I will think about it. I am not a registered user at lichess. You can also form a group in lichess?

#189 Posted by RKelly (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who thinks Magnus looks like Todd from Breaking Bad? I can't unsee it

#190 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@rkelly: LMAO, they do look similar. At least they have the same style of appearance, but probably a lot of people have the same style as well.

#191 Posted by PhantomRant (1388 posts) - - Show Bio

I will think about it. I am not a registered user at lichess. You can also form a group in lichess?

https://lichess.org/signup

Yeah there are community chess teams on lichess. some have thousands of members. You don't have to make a real commitment in our group, you just play whenever you want and try to get better. You can play standard, chess960, antichess, crazyhouse.

#192 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@phantomrant said:
@magnus_carlsen3 said:

https://lichess.org/signup

Yeah there are community chess teams on lichess. some have thousands of members. You don't have to make a real commitment in our group, you just play whenever you want and try to get better. You can play standard, chess960, antichess, crazyhouse.

nice. what is the name of your group?

@rkelly there are also who thinks Carlsen looks like Matt Damon or Jesse Plemos. lol. Carlsen's look is being compared to many personalities. Carlsen is also a model.

No Caption Provided

#193 Posted by PhantomRant (1388 posts) - - Show Bio

nice. what is the name of your group?

Here's the group page on lichess: https://lichess.org/team/tmf-chess-community

And here's the forum where we actually talk about chess and challenge each other

#194 Posted by WhoWillWin (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3:

Yes, of course he’s a model, he makes a million dollars per year just on sponsorship deals.

As for my main comment in the posting:

Remember:

Average chess players do:

5% pattern recognition

95% calculation

Grandmasters do:

60% pattern recognition

40% calculation

I cream everybody I know in real life at chess, but get slaughtered by the people on Lichess, but to be fair I’m facing people about 300 points above me on average.

Also, I have a question: “Why does everyone prefer Chess.com to Lichess?” Lichess has no adds and offers their full chess engine for free, no account required. Plus, I did a test, Lichess won over Chess.com in a top-engine battle. I am also a good Horde chess player and would like to continue playing it on Lichess.

#195 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@whowillwin said:

@magnus_carlsen3:

Yes, of course he’s a model, he makes a million dollars per year just on sponsorship deals.

As for my main comment in the posting:

Remember:

Average chess players do:

5% pattern recognition

95% calculation

Grandmasters do:

60% pattern recognition

40% calculation

I cream everybody I know in real life at chess, but get slaughtered by the people on Lichess, but to be fair I’m facing people about 300 points above me on average.

Also, I have a question: “Why does everyone prefer Chess.com to Lichess?” Lichess has no adds and offers their full chess engine for free, no account required. Plus, I did a test, Lichess won over Chess.com in a top-engine battle. I am also a good Horde chess player and would like to continue playing it on Lichess.

Yes. Stronger players have more pattern recognition that they acquired by studying and playing. The stronger the player you are, the more pattern recognition you have.

Many players at lichess and chess.com are strong. Their rating is a good indicator on how strong they are. There are also many grandmasters,international masters and national masters that play at lichess and chess.com.

Between lichess and chess.com, i am not really sure on who is more popular. Chess.com has over 20 million members. But i have seen many posters preferring Lichess over chess.com. I believe Lichess has unlimited free tactical puzzles for free. While in chess.com, you will only get 5 for free. What i like about chess.com is it has active forum. I am not really familiar with lichess, but chess.com has nice good free instructive articles. I like playing at chess.com. The only safe thing to say is both are popular for online chess playing. But it appears also that the paid functionalities in chess.com, you will get it for free at Lichess.

#196 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio
#197 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio
#198 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (9358 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice!

#199 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio
#200 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@magnus_carlsen3: I'm not gonna speed run it lol

It's a long video.

nice. yeah, take it slowly and watch all the contents.