#101 Edited by AbstractRaze (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

Anand and Hou Yifan are one of my favorite players, while Carlsen is a spoiled autist bitch crier, Kasparov remains as a legend.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for magnus_carlsen3
#102 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

Anand and Hou Yifan are one of my favorite players, while Carlsen is a spoiled autist bitch crier, Kasparov remains as a legend.

Loading Video...

While i agree that Carlsen should have not reacted this way, by nature great players hate losing. Kasparov is also my favorite and in my opinion, Kasparov is the greatest.

#103 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

IM John Bartholomew is very popular among chess players at youtube. Anybody who wants to improve can try watching his videos. His fundamental series are good. He also commentates live on his blitz matches at chess.com. Here is one of the videos from his fundamental series. He is good at explaining moves.

Chess Fundamentals #4: Pawn Play

Loading Video...

#104 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio
#105 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@jambyvedar: I'm starting chess again.... Thanks for the OP, helped me a lot.

#106 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@jambyvedar: I'm starting chess again.... Thanks for the OP, helped me a lot.

Nice to hear that. Chess is awesome. What are the post here that helped you?

#107 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba513314c41c
#108 Edited by deactivated-5ba513314c41c (1099 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried to get into chess (again, played a fair amount of irl games as a kid) and it was going well for over a year, then the Lichess app stopped working on my phone. Leave it to technical difficulties to ruin a good game for me.

Best way to improve is to study pro games, play chess puzzles, analyse your own games, but above all play more games, against stronger opponents preferably. Losses aren't truly losses if you gain something from each one.

Fav player has to be Ivanchuk, he's inconsistent but can spike and has to top 3 in the world. But I have to admire Carlsen's style, unconventional openings give him a sense of unpredictability more so than other chess greats. Not sure why he gets so much hate, especially when you have Fischer having far worse temperament.

#109 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@t6 said:

I tried to get into chess (again, played a fair amount of irl games as a kid) and it was going well for over a year, then the Lichess app stopped working on my phone. Leave it to technical difficulties to ruin a good game for me.

Best way to improve is to study pro games, play chess puzzles, analyse your own games, but above all play more games, against stronger opponents preferably. Losses aren't truly losses if you gain something from each one.

Fav player has to be Ivanchuk, he's inconsistent but can spike and has to top 3 in the world. But I have to admire Carlsen's style, unconventional openings give him a sense of unpredictability more so than other chess greats. Not sure why he gets so much hate, especially when you have Fischer having far worse temperament.

Maybe you should re install the app again. Yeah, Ivanchuk is a creative genius. If only he has learned to control his nerve, he might be a world champion by now. What Carlsen is doing deserve respect. To be world number 1 is hard to maintain.

@khael

Here are more checkmate patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnXIlR_wqQI

https://www.chess.com/lessons/course/25

#110 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: What do you think about Magnus app?

My fav player is probably Nakamura.

#111 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@magnus_carlsen3: What do you think about Magnus app?

My fav player is probably Nakamura.

I have not tried it, but i heard many like it and it seems it has nice functionalities. Maybe you should try it for yourself. I prefer playing against human opponents in tournaments,casual with friends or in a website like chess.com. Where do you play?

Nakamura is a cool player. He is also a bullet and blitz king. He is currently playing at world cup of chess. The winner there will be included in candidates matches. The candidates matches will determine Carlsen's challenger.

#112 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: I never played online. I play against challenging computers or apps and with my friends.

Playing with my friends was never a challenge though. Maybe I should try going against people online ^_^

Magnus is a pure beast on the board.

Avatar image for arranvidreturns
#113 Edited by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@magnus_carlsen3: I never played online. I play against challenging computers or apps and with my friends.

Playing with my friends was never a challenge though. Maybe I should try going against people online ^_^

Meh Magnus isn't a beast tbh

he's the best in the world but he makes crazy blunders too

I used to think that G.Kasparov was a beast but after seeing his comeback at St. Louis it shows that he has his vulnerabilities

Maybe Bobby Fischer was a beast? but even Bobby...the inventor of FischerRandom...didn't have a great comeback in 1993 (I think he lost a game or more to B.Spassky) and he made a famous blunder against B.Spassky in the World Championship Final (I think). Also was he scared of A.Karpov and is that why he relinquished his World title? or was it because he didn't like the situation he was in after he won the World Championship?

#114 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@arranvidreturns said:
@khael said:

I used to think that G.Kasparov was a beast but after seeing his comeback at St. Louis it shows that he has his vulnerabilities

Maybe Bobby Fischer was a beast? but even Bobby...the inventor of FischerRandom...didn't have a great comeback in 1993 (I think he lost a game or more to B.Spassky) and he made a famous blunder against B.Spassky in the World Championship Final (I think). Also was he scared of A.Karpov and is that why he relinquished his World title? or was it because he didn't like the situation he was in after he won the World Championship?

Magnus is a beast and one of the greatest player of all time. All human makes a blunder. Carlsen at 26 already accomplished a lot at chess.

Here is an example of Carlsen's talent(or a grandmasters talent for that matter). He played 3 opponents simultaneously blindfolded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXwdoRG43U

Kasparov is past his prime and is coming from a long layoff. His legacy is secured. Anything else is just a bonus. Nobody expects Jordan to comeback at NBA and be the same player that he used to be. But for a player past his prime and is coming a long layoff, Kasparov's performance there is not that bad. He get in the groove in the second day and has 3 consecutive wins. He also beat Nakamura. In his prime, Kasparov played 6 grandmaster opponents simultaneously and beat them.

@khael

You should try playing human opponent at website like chess.com. It is more fun playing against human. There you will face opponents of various level. Try playing at 10 minutes time control. Playing at chess.com can be addicting.

#115 Edited by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3 said:
@arranvidreturns said:
@khael said:

Magnus is a beast and one of the greatest player of all time. All human makes a blunder. Carlsen at 26 already accomplished a lot at chess.

Here is an example of Carlsen's talent(or a grandmasters talent for that matter). He played 3 opponents simultaneously blindfolded.

Kasparov is past his prime and is coming from a long layoff. His legacy is secured. Anything else is just a bonus. Nobody expects Jordan to comeback at NBA and be the same player that he used to be. But for a player past his prime and is coming a long layoff, Kasparov's performance there is not that bad. He get in the groove in the second day and has 3 consecutive wins. He also beat Nakamura. In his prime, Kasparov played 6 grandmaster opponents simultaneously and beat them.

@khael

You should try playing human opponent at website like chess.com. It is more fun playing against human. There you will face opponents of various level. Try playing at 10 minutes time control. Playing at chess.com can be addicting.

Sorry but if you're calling Magnus a beast then you might as well call all grandmasters as beasts

when they're clearly not

the word "beast" has a specific meaning...for Chess I would say that a beast in chess would be someone who demolishes the opposition with what seems to be like some sort of firepower in their moves

Beasts in chess aren't usually the best. For example, A.Karpov is a beast in Attacking play yet he loses to many opponents these days...he even lost to a 12-year old Magnus in a blitz game (I think) and he lost to two twins...both of them

Magnus' chess play isn't scary and with firepower...it's just great positional play and pretty standard play...a lot of textbook stuff...so Magnus isn't a beast

G.Kasparov is worse than Magnus at Chess but he is more of a beast than Magnus because he is more of an attacker on the chess board and he has more of a drive to demolish opponents

T.Petrosian is perhaps the "King of Defence" but he is not a beast because great defenders in Chess can't be called beasts...there's no attacking and no fierce play

I hope you see what I mean now

#116 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@arranvidreturns said:
@magnus_carlsen3 said:
@arranvidreturns said:
@khael said:

@khael

Sorry but if you're calling Magnus a beast then you might as well call all grandmasters as beasts

when they're clearly not

the word "beast" has a specific meaning...for Chess I would say that a beast in chess would be someone who demolishes the opposition with what seems to be like some sort of firepower in their moves

Beasts in chess aren't usually the best. For example, A.Karpov is a beast in Attacking play yet he loses to many opponents these days...he even lost to a 12-year old Magnus in a blitz game (I think) and he lost to two twins...both of them

Magnus' chess play isn't scary and with firepower...it's just great positional play and pretty standard play...a lot of textbook stuff...so Magnus isn't a beast

G.Kasparov is worse than Magnus at Chess but he is more of a beast than Magnus because he is more of an attacker on the chess board and he has more of a drive to demolish opponents

T.Petrosian is perhaps the "King of Defence" but he is not a beast because great defenders in Chess can't be called beasts...there's no attacking and no fierce play

I hope you see what I mean now

While i do get what you are trying to say, what you are saying is a subjective thing in regards to the word beast. Magnus is a beast at positional chess. Kasparov is not worse at chess than Carlsen. Many regarded Kasparov as arguably the goat at chess. Many calls Kasparov as the beast of Baku or a beast with thousand eyes.

#117 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: Sorry but I do think that Magnus is better than Garry at Chess. If you put a prime Garry vs current Magnus in a match that has many games then Magnus would win the match...it shows that he's better. Yeah maybe Magnus is a beast in positional chess...but there are many grandmasters that are great at positional chess so I don't know. Regardless of whether he's a beast or not...Magnus is the best chess player that the world has ever seen.

If Garry hadn't retired in 2005 and if he kept playing competitively and seriously then maybe Garry would be better than Magnus but unfortunately that hasn't happened so Magnus is better

Btw T.Petrosian is a beast at defensive chess...I think that's a fair statement

#118 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: Sorry but I do think that Magnus is better than Garry at Chess. If you put a prime Garry vs current Magnus in a match that has many games then Magnus would win the match...it shows that he's better. Yeah maybe Magnus is a beast in positional chess...but there are many grandmasters that are great at positional chess so I don't know. Regardless of whether he's a beast or not...Magnus is the best chess player that the world has ever seen.

If Garry hadn't retired in 2005 and if he kept playing competitively and seriously then maybe Garry would be better than Magnus but unfortunately that hasn't happened so Magnus is better

Btw T.Petrosian is a beast at defensive chess...I think that's a fair statement

but there are also many grand masters that are great at attacking chess.

sorry but i disagree. i will pick prime kasparov against prime carlsen. and as i told, many regarded kasparov as arguably the greatest. carlsen has a chance to surpass kasparov in terms of achievements and greatness. in his prime, kasparov has faced karpov. in my opinion karpov in his prime is a better positional player than carlsen. karpov has the all time record for most tournament title wins.

in the game below karpov shows why he is a genius at positional chess. this is a famous game where karpov parked his bishop on 7th rank.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1067846

Kasparov has:

Defended his title many times.

7-1 vs 4 2600 Israeli GMs in a simul.

50-0 vs Shirov, Adams, Gelfand, and Bareev.

Chessmatrics has 17 2820+ tournament performances for Kasparov.

Garry dominated for 20 years

Kasparov won many tournaments with all the best players present.

Kasparov past his prime and coming from a long layoff has beaten top players like nakamura,caruana and lagrave

#119 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio
#120 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael

Thanks for the advice ^_^

#121 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio
#122 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a question

if B.Fischer played against A.Karpov in the World Championship Final 1975

who do you think would've won?

#123 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a question

if B.Fischer played against A.Karpov in the World Championship Final 1975

who do you think would've won?

hard to tell as even a young karpov is very strong. maybe it is a 50/50 match that could go either way.

#124 Edited by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: Thanks for your answer :-)

I think Bobby might have won

his rating was so high at the time...even compared to Anatoly

#125 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@arranvidreturns said:

no doubt karpov will be the underdog. but i have seen players will lower rating beating higher rated players. so anything is possible. but fischer is definitely the favorite in the match. but if that match occurred, and let say the rematch is in 1978, i will favor karpov in a rematch.

who is your active favorite player?

#126 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio
@arranvidreturns said:

no doubt karpov will be the underdog. but i have seen players will lower rating beating higher rated players. so anything is possible. but fischer is definitely the favorite in the match. but if that match occurred, and let say the rematch is in 1978, i will favor karpov in a rematch.

That's interesting my friend. Why would you favour Anatoly in the rematch? I've heard some people say the same thing too...they would favour Anatoly in the rematch. I think Bobby is a student of the game though...I think he hates being 'bested' at Chess so he would give a very tough rematch for Anatoly.

#127 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

I favor Karpov on several factors.

Classical games: Anatoly Karpov beat Boris Spassky 14 to 2.

Before the world championship match Fischer has never beaten Spassky. Their world championship match result is also not one sided. But Karpov has an overwhelming record against Spassky.

Karpov is mentally strong.

Many are intimidated with Fischer. But players that are mentally strong have positive score against Fischer. Korchnoi has positive score against Fischer.

Karpov is dominant in that period.

In that period he is dominant. Karpov also has the most tournament titles in chess history. I have forgotten the exact numbers, but he has over 150 tournament title wins. Kasparov also barely won in their world championship matches. There are even who thinks Karpov is the GOAT.

But having said these, the rematch will be not easy for either players and anything can happen. But I will favor Karpov in a rematch.

#128 Edited by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3 said:
@arranvidreturns said:

Q: Who is my favourite active player?

A: Myself ;-)

But seriously, my favourite active player is M.Carlsen

When I was a kid my favourite was A.Karpov (because I thought his surname sounded cool lol) but now my favourite is Magnus

#129 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3 said:
@arranvidreturns said:

When I was a kid my favourite was A.Karpov (because I thought his surname sounded cool lol) but now my favourite is Magnus

HAHAHA

I liked Viswanathan Anand for the same reason XD

But his whole name is cool :')

#130 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@arranvidreturns said:
@magnus_carlsen3 said:
@arranvidreturns said:

HAHAHA

I liked Viswanathan Anand for the same reason XD

But his whole name is cool :')

I also thought Viswanathan's surname looked cool when I was a kid lol XD

in fact the first time I had ever heard of A.Karpov and V.Anand was when I saw them playing a chess match against each other in a Chess book...I think it might have been a Michael Basman Beginner Chess Book

#131 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

I favor Karpov on several factors.

Classical games: Anatoly Karpov beat Boris Spassky 14 to 2.

Before the world championship match Fischer has never beaten Spassky. Their world championship match result is also not one sided. But Karpov has an overwhelming record against Spassky.

Karpov is mentally strong.

Many are intimidated with Fischer. But players that are mentally strong have positive score against Fischer. Korchnoi has positive score against Fischer.

Karpov is dominant in that period.

In that period he is dominant. Karpov also has the most tournament titles in chess history. I have forgotten the exact numbers, but he has over 150 tournament title wins. Kasparov also barely won in their world championship matches. There are even who thinks Karpov is the GOAT.

But having said these, the rematch will be not easy for either players and anything can happen. But I will favor Karpov in a rematch.

Those are very good reasons :-)

Avatar image for deactivated-59d0376931207
#132 Posted by deactivated-59d0376931207 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to play all the time when I was youngrer until my chess set was smashed. I kind of just lost interest atter that.

#133 Edited by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@momus said:

I used to play all the time when I was youngrer until my chess set was smashed. I kind of just lost interest atter that.

That's sad :-( I'm sorry that your chess set was smashed

#134 Edited by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@momus said:

There's online chess now :P

I don't have chess set either currently.

#135 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@momus said:

Did you already try registering at chess.com?

@arranvidreturns

I can relate. The first thing i noticed with Kasparov is his surname. That surname feels like a destroyer. True enough Kasparov is a destroyer at a chess board. My co worker named his son Magnus.

#136 Edited by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@momus said:

@arranvidreturns

I can relate. The first thing i noticed with Kasparov is his surname. That surname feels like a destroyer. True enough Kasparov is a destroyer at a chess board. My co worker named his son Magnus.

Yeah Garry's surname looked cool to me too when I was a kid :-) all the time in news articles I used to see Karpov vs Kasparov pop up all over the place...the guys with the two cool similar surnames battling it out over and over again lol yeah the surname does feel like a destroyer!

Your co-worker must love Magnus' Chess then :-)

#137 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio
@khael said:
@momus said:

Not yet, I'm in a middle of mid-test week right now, maybe later

@magnus_carlsen3 said:
@khael said:
@momus said:

@arranvidreturns

Yeah Garry's surname looked cool to me too when I was a kid :-) all the time in news articles I used to see Karpov vs Kasparov pop up all over the place...the guys with the two cool similar surnames battling it out over and over again lol yeah the surname does feel like a destroyer!

Or maybe he likes Magneto or Magnus Bane.... We can't be sure.

#138 Edited by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@arranvidreturns: @magnus_carlsen3: Carlsen, Nakamura and Kramnik are all eliminated :'(

WTH lol, who are you guys rooting for now? These Chinese guys are killing it hehehe, I'll probably go with Bu or Ivanchuk.

#139 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#140 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@arranvidreturns: @magnus_carlsen3: Carlsen, Nakamura and Kramnik are all eliminated :'(

WTH lol, who are you guys rooting for now? These Chinese guys are killing it hehehe, I'll probably go with Bu or Ivanchuk.

I don't root for players in Chess Tournaments :-) I just give credit to whoever wins lol

Bu owned M.Carlsen! I was surprised that Magnus didn't make it through but Hikaru and V.Kramnik also going out so early?! yeah Vassily did well

Is L.Aronian still there? he's doing well this year it seems but I have a feeling he won't win the Tourney

I'll predict who I think will win the Tourney later :-)

#141 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@arranvidreturns: Well they actually earned their GM status so I already give them credit for that. Aronian is still in the tourney!!

Owh okay.

#142 Edited by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: I have more questions for you

Deep Blue vs the most recent Stockfish

Fritz in Bahrain vs the most recent Stockfish

who wins?

I think Stockfish wins both of these matches, right?

The last chess computer I ever had was Fritz in Bahrain

In Primary School I was Chess Captain and our team played a match against Fritz for a charity...this was about the year 2004. We lost but we were each given a Fritz in Bahrain CD as a gift. We were in the magazine because of that match lol

#143 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3 said:
@khael said:
@momus said:

@arranvidreturns

Yes, he love Magnus Carlsen. Ivanchuk might be the sentimental favorite in the world cup. Ivanchuk might be an old lion, but if someone lay their head, he can still bite. lol At one point in his career, he is the world number 2, but he never made it into the world championship.

@khael

Have you seen this windmill tactic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnL3BqalJFI

#144 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio
#145 Edited by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio
#146 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@arranvidreturns said:

@magnus_carlsen3: I have more questions for you

Deep Blue vs the most recent Stockfish

Fritz in Bahrain vs the most recent Stockfish

who wins?

I think Stockfish wins both of these matches, right?

The last chess computer I ever had was Fritz in Bahrain

In Primary School I was Chess Captain and our team played a match against Fritz for a charity...this was about the year 2004. We lost but we were each given a Fritz in Bahrain CD as a gift. We were in the magazine because of that match lol

The latest engines today like Komodo and Stockfish will beat Fritz. I think no human grandmaster today can beat an optimize modern engines in a match.

That is cool to be in a magazine. Do you compete in chess tournaments? So you drew with a 1750 stockfish. You must be close at national master strength?

#147 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael

You will love these!

25 Standard Check Mates

http://www.serverchess.com/checkmate.htm

Gaining chess mates pattern knowledge is essential for improvement as this will help you in spotting mate several moves ahead if opportunity present itself.

#148 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, WOW

That's so useful lmao

@khael

You will love these!

25 Standard Check Mates

http://www.serverchess.com/checkmate.htm

Gaining chess mates pattern knowledge is essential for improvement as this will help you in spotting mate several moves ahead if opportunity present itself.

Thanks ^_^

Also, what do you think about this (Bu is now eliminated as well)

@khael said:

@magnus_carlsen3: Carlsen, Nakamura and Kramnik are all eliminated :'(

#149 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio
#150 Edited by ArranVidReturns (1354 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@magnus_carlsen3: @arranvidreturns: What do you guys think about Garry Kasparov's master class?

I think it's great

I've never used it...does it cost money?

I have one of Garry's old teaching books though...it was a useful book. I was given that book after I got angry after losing to an adult in a tournament...I was about 13 lol. One of the people running the tournament gave me that book and that was very kind of him. I remember breaking off one of the car's mirrors in anger lol.

I don't know whether it will make people go up to near National Master level or something like that but it will probably make them learn more about different techniques and stuff

Maybe there are beginner/intermediate/advanced lessons in the masterclass?