• 156 results
Avatar image for magnus_carlsen3
#51 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@jambyvedar:

magnus, who do you think are the top ten greatest chess players? (by either dominance or playing strength/accuracy)

My top 10

1. Kasparov

2. Karpov

3. Carlsen

4. Lasker

5. Fischer

6. Capablanca

7. Botvinnik

8. Anand

9. Tal

10. Alekhine

#52 Posted by AdmiralLogic (4131 posts) - - Show Bio

Chess is fantastic, I love it. I might be better at risk though.

#53 Posted by GoodFella (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Chess is fantastic, I love it. I might be better at risk though.

Isn't this partly chance based? E.g with the die, but with chess that's just pure intellect and strategy.

#54 Edited by AdmiralLogic (4131 posts) - - Show Bio

@goodfella: Risk is technically partly chance, or rather just unaccounted variables, so it requires a different type of strategy. In real life there are variables you can't account for, the dice simulate that. You just have to find a way to get through that. However the dice are usually pretty consistent, depending on the dice, so it's easier.

Edit: But yes it is possible this is partly biased, that is why I said "I think I may" instead of "I am."

#55 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

World's Top 10 To Play At Norway Chess

https://www.chess.com/news/view/world-s-top-10-to-play-at-norway-chess-2075

#56 Posted by magnus_carlsen (119 posts) - - Show Bio

Minority Attack! | Pawn Structure - GM Yasser

Loading Video...

#57 Edited by magnus_carlsen (119 posts) - - Show Bio
#58 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#60 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#61 Posted by morleericks (10579 posts) - - Show Bio

The one time I played it, I really liked it. I just haven't vothered picking up the board game again. I like writing more. That will never get old.

#62 Posted by mrmonster (4624 posts) - - Show Bio

Chess is great. It's my favorite board game.

#63 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

If you want to play timed otb chess but don't have a chess clock, you can try this android app chess clock.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chess.clock&hl=tl

Example of chess time format are blitz, rapid and classical. Blitz is usually played 3 minutes, 5 minutes or 10 minutes per player. Rapid is 25 minutes per player.

#64 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Tactical blunder is losing a piece or getting mated(but there is a defense that you failed to see).Everybody blunders, but better players blunder less.

These are the things that will help you reduce blunders:

1. Solve easy and harder tactics problems.

- You solve easy problems for pattern recognition. You solve harder puzzles for calculation improvement.

2. Always study your opponent's last move.

3. Always look at the whole board to see piece positioning

4. Before you make a move, check if there is a tactical drawback.

5. Stop playing bullet chess.

There are situations where you are winning easily and it makes you pay less attention to your opponent's move. This could result in a blunder. It is important to always study your opponents last move until the end(even if you are winning).

There is also this tendency at not looking at the whole board. This could lead to blunders. For example, you might place a rook where it can be captured by your opponent's bishop sitting at the corner. This happen because you are not looking at the whole board, you failed to notice your opponent's bishop.

#65 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#66 Posted by GIliad_ (5402 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm very good at chess but I don't particularly enjoy it, too much planning and forward thinking. Draughts/Checkers is more my style.

#67 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@giliad_ said:

I'm very good at chess but I don't particularly enjoy it, too much planning and forward thinking. Draughts/Checkers is more my style.

Being good at chess is relative. If a player can beat his father or a school teacher, it does not necessary mean that he is good. It could be that his brother or teacher is not a good player. Majority of good players prefers chess over the simplicity of checkers.

#68 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#69 Posted by GIliad_ (5402 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: I can assure you I would be considered a good player against other proficient players, not just my pops (who for the record is a talented and experienced player). The fact remains that I'm a pretty spontaneous person - don't get me wrong I love seeing well developed endgame tactics play out - but I like Checkers because of its simplicity. The best move you can make is the best move in that given situation.

#70 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@giliad_ said:

@magnus_carlsen3: I can assure you I would be considered a good player against other proficient players, not just my pops (who for the record is a talented and experienced player). The fact remains that I'm a pretty spontaneous person - don't get me wrong I love seeing well developed endgame tactics play out - but I like Checkers because of its simplicity. The best move you can make is the best move in that given situation.

How can you say they are proficient? What is their FIDE rating? Sorry, but if a player played chess for many years, but never study chess,chances are his playing strength is at below 1200 rating. Sorry, but there are many players claiming they are good just because they beat many people who are not good at chess. Just because a player played chess for many years does not mean he is good at it.

#71 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#72 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#73 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Magnus Carlsen secretly playing against chess hustler

Loading Video...

#74 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#75 Posted by Khael (14061 posts) - - Show Bio
@arranvid said:

I used to play it. I've got bored of it and I don't have time to play these days! :-)

#76 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@arranvid said:

I used to play it. I've got bored of it and I don't have time to play these days! :-)

If you don't have much time, you can try blitz chess. Blitz chess can be between 3 minutes to 10 minutes. It is addicting. I always play 3 minutes blitz chess at chess.com Also many appreciated chess more once they learned that chess is just not pushing wood. They appreciated and loved chess once they learned different endgames,tactics and strategies. Also joining chess tournament is fun.

I play blitz at chess.com. It has over 20 million members.

#77 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#78 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#79 Posted by Cable_Extreme (13653 posts) - - Show Bio

I play chess avidly.

#80 Posted by Lcienimbus (1272 posts) - - Show Bio

i played a few years ago, wasn't TOO good at it, but I liked it. one of my funniest memories was playing chess against my teacher and the others had this song on the radio, just as the final chorus started, he jumped up to sing along with it, bumped his rolling chair backwards, and then missed it and sat down on the floor instead. he still won the game, though.

#81 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#82 Posted by _Gaff_ (4989 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I played like The Iron Tigran. Study his games every once and a while.

It would be refreshing to have a major player like him today. Seems like the best GMs today play super aggressively. I would like to see how they hold up against Tigran.

I suck by the way. I don't think my blitz rating has ever been higher than 1400

#83 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@_gaff_ said:

It would be refreshing to have a major player like him today. Seems like the best GMs today play super aggressively. I would like to see how they hold up against Tigran.

Tigran is underrated. He is very hard to beat. His defense is like a wall. He is also well known for sacrifice exchange of giving up the rook for a bishop or knight for positional compensations.

Where do you play? Improvement can take time. Solve chess puzzle everyday and study endgames and strategies appropriate for your level.

#84 Posted by SpareHeadOne (2481 posts) - - Show Bio

I like to bury the bishop

#85 Posted by _Gaff_ (4989 posts) - - Show Bio

@_gaff_ said:

Tigran is underrated. He is very hard to beat. His defense is like a wall. He is also well known for sacrifice exchange of giving up the rook for a bishop or knight for positional compensations.

Where do you play? Improvement can take time. Solve chess puzzle everyday and study endgames and strategies appropriate for your level.

I play on Chess.com

#86 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I like to bury the bishop

In chess terminology a bishop that is inside its pawn chain is called bad bishop. In most situations, it is ideal that the bishop is outside of its own pawn and not jailed.

Chess Strategy- Good vs Bad Bishops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phI82EetT_w

#87 Edited by SpareHeadOne (2481 posts) - - Show Bio
#88 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for termiteone4ever
#89 Posted by termiteone4ever (11674 posts) - - Show Bio

Good Stuff I would like to play some of you guys haven't played in like 15 years

#90 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Good Stuff I would like to play some of you guys haven't played in like 15 years

I like to see you, @spareheadone and @_gaff_ plays some chess. You can register at chess.com and add them and notify them for a game if they are members at chess.com. Playing there is fun and there is so much to explore there. It also has free 5 tactics puzzles a day(tactics trainer). It also has a forum.

#91 Posted by _Gaff_ (4989 posts) - - Show Bio

@termiteone4ever said:

I like to see you, @spareheadone and @_gaff_ plays some chess. You can register at chess.com and add them and notify them for a game if they are members at chess.com. Playing there is fun and there is so much to explore there. It also has free 5 tactics puzzles a day(tactics trainer). It also has a forum.

Year, my username there is kingbadger

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
#92 Posted by termiteone4ever (11674 posts) - - Show Bio

@termiteone4ever said:

Thanks when I get off work Tuesday I will do that for sure :)

#93 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#94 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for arranvidreturns
#95 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1160 posts) - - Show Bio

Who would win between Magnus Carlsen and Stockfish?

#96 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Youngest NM in US History: Liran Zhou at 9 years, 3 Months, 22 Days Old!!

"Nine-year-old Liran Zhou crossed the 2200 threshold with his last round win at the Continental Open. That day, he was 9 years, 3 months, and 22 days old. He broke the record which was previously held by Christopher Woo, who reached master just a month shy of his 10th birthday

To call Liran’s rise to master meteoric would be an understatement. Liran learned the game only three years ago when he was six years old and started with a rating of just over 200. In a mere three years, he has gone from 200 to 2200!

Liran attributes his success to reading many chess books, especially those with chess puzzles. He has a library of books from How to Beat Your Dad at Chess to the Grandmaster Preparation series, but his favorite book is How to Reassess Your Chess by IM Jeremy Silman."

Excerpted From: https://new.uschess.org/news/nine-year-old-liran-zhou-breaks-record-youngest-master-continental-open/

@arranvidreturns

While Magnus might still beat Stockfish, in a match stockfish will win. Engines are way stronger now.

#97 Posted by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of mate chess patterns puzzles for beginners, the book by Laszlo Polgar is one of the best(or arguably the best).

This book is called Chess:5334 Problems,Combinations and Games

https://www.amazon.com/Chess-5334-Problems-Combinations-Games/dp/1579125549

One of the best Introductory chess book for all ages is The Complete Idiot's Guide To Chess by GM Wolf. This book covers the basic endgame,tactics opening principles and strategies that every beginners should know.

https://www.amazon.com/Chess-5334-Problems-Combinations-Games/dp/1579125549

One of the best Chess Tactical Book for club level that covers pin,fork,skewer, discovery, mates problems etc is GM Susan Polgar's Chess Tactics for Champion.

https://www.amazon.com/Chess-Tactics-Champions-step-step/dp/081293671X

Avatar image for arranvidreturns
#98 Posted by ArranVidReturns (1160 posts) - - Show Bio
#99 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnus_carlsen3: Thanks for your answer! :-)

No problem.

Here is an instructive attack against the king game by the legendary Mikhail Tal. Arguably Tal is the greatest at sacrificing pieces for an attack. Mato's videos are entertaining to watch. You can learn a lot from his videos.

Loading Video...

#100 Edited by magnus_carlsen3 (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Nakamura's Knockouts: Fast Chess Calculation

Here is the legendary bullet and blitz player GM Nakamura commenting his blitz games at chess.com

Loading Video...