Change in the world, Right of Passage/

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Final Arrow

I was just having a think about this, In the olden days all men and even women had a right of passage to show they had growen, It was diffrent in many cultres, But I belive it made them closer as a tirbe/ comunity.

If we still did this do you think we would all be closer in away to familes and friends, Aslo what has changed between the times, the world seems a less friendly place to what it use to be, What changed in US to make it that way?

Walkingstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Walkingstone

I think there's still a right of passage, so to speak, but it has changed so much that we barely recognise it. I think a lot of the old rituals have been degraded and we're left with a kind of hollowness sometimes, like we're lacking something that should be fundamental.

Mantid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mantid

What's passage? I'm asking.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Apparition

i think people let their friends pick their rites of passage now. before it was something that the adults controlled and that everyone had to do, but now it's something originating from your clique of friends and there are multiple ones you do over time. starting out when youre in junior high at least through college.

i think one reason for this is back when you lived in one village there were only those people to impress, so if you went through one right of passage, then that was it. but there are so many more people that an average individual will meet now. you meet so many new people when you go from elementary to junior high to high school to college to work, that youre continually doing rites of passage for each new group of people.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Actually I don't think women had a right of passage. They were usually treated like second rate citizens. Hell the weren't even allowed to vote until what, like the 70's. Some rights of passages where just barbaric while others would be considered crazy be todays standereds. Would you go off and leave your ten year old out in the woods for 4 days to fend for himself? They'd lock you up if you did.

In many major cities across America there are still rights of passage, but there not like you think. Its gangs, the right of passage into a gang is often brutal and culminates with the death of a rival gang member or an innocent person.

But I think many things could be considered a right of passage. When I spent 2 months studying and passing my test for my Captains license, that to me was a right of passage. I was now part of that group, part of that family. Same with collage or making your schools sports team or honor roll, to me those are all rights of passage.

Walkingstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Walkingstone

Gambler says:

"Actually I don't think women had a right of passage."

Actually, if you look back as far as the pre-christian era in Europe and even the middle east, women had their own rites of passage but they would be kept apart from men's.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Ghostshell

VisionScape says:

"Gambler says:
"Actually I don't think women had a right of passage."

Actually, if you look back as far as the pre-christian era in Europe and even the middle east, women had their own rites of passage but they would be kept apart from men's."

And why were they kept apart from the mens? Thats really the point I was trying to make. That they weren't considered on the same level as the men.

Walkingstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Walkingstone

Gambler says:

"And why were they kept apart from the mens? Thats really the point I was trying to make. That they weren't considered on the same level as the men."

But then segregated doesn't necessarily mean lack of standing. Most of the rites of passage for women dealt with the onset of puberty and if you can imagine what that means for women, would you really want to be a witness to that? Vice versa, as a woman, I wouldn't want men to be a witness to it either.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Ghostshell

VisionScape says:

"Gambler says:
"And why were they kept apart from the mens? Thats really the point I was trying to make. That they weren't considered on the same level as the men."

But then segregated doesn't necessarily mean lack of standing. Most of the rites of passage for women dealt with the onset of puberty and if you can imagine what that means for women, would you really want to be a witness to that? Vice versa, as a woman, I wouldn't want men to be a witness to it either."

Are you trying to tell me women were treated the same as men back then? I didn't pay alot of attention in school but enough to know that is incorrect. I don't care what right of passage they went throw, women in the middle east for instance still have to walk a certain length BEHIND the man. If a man is caught cheating its o'well but if his wife is caught or even believed to be unfaithful she is stoned, and thats in todays world.

I'm not saying the womens rights of passage weren't any less difficult but to the men, it was.

Walkingstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Walkingstone

Gambler says:

"Are you trying to tell me women were treated the same as men back then?"

Not at all. Equality is something we're only just getting in the post-Christian world. But my point was that women had a rite of passage, it was just different to men's and rightly so. We may now be equal, to a certain extent, but it doesn't mean we're the same

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Ghostshell

VisionScape says:

"Gambler says:
"Are you trying to tell me women were treated the same as men back then?"

Not at all. Equality is something we're only just getting in the post-Christian world. But my point was that women had a rite of passage, it was just different to men's and rightly so. We may now be equal, to a certain extent, but it doesn't mean we're the same"

Ohhhh my bad. I did kinda make an un-true statement in my first post, I should have worded it better. Thanks.

Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Spectrum

i beleive a right of passge now aays os an individual expereince where as in the past it was something for many to celebrate, like Gambler said their are many into different Clbs and Organisations but i think only a true right of passage can come when you feel you have acheived status i the world,

I would consider this a right of passage when DC said that i was one of the best fighters on this siet that he new and when Cryo defended me against some user calling me a noob. I would consider these to be a right of passage onto this site and now i can do the same for others and visa versa.