#1 Posted by KalKent (1731 posts) - - Show Bio

So obviously a while back the mountain saying he would crush mcgregor sparked some debate, but how would he do against a light heavyweight ufc fighter?

#2 Posted by ElSebbe (321 posts) - - Show Bio

He ROFL stomps.

#4 Posted by InvadedTBD (1547 posts) - - Show Bio

The actor who plays him gets his ass kick badly.

#5 Posted by mrmonster (15147 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if he is talking about the actor and not the character, Hafbor Bjornsson still wins. Look, 9 times out of 10, I do argue for skill over strength, but there are limits. This is one of those limits. Case in point:

Loading Video...

It's clear that if he really wanted to, he'd have beaten McGregor at the 0:17 mark.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#6 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15873 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#7 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15873 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#8 Posted by InvadedTBD (1547 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: I get what your saying but Conor isn't a light heavyweight. Someone like Jon Jones or Alexander Gustofssen(not sure if that's how you spell his name) would whoop that giant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c60ecae36801
#9 Edited by deactivated-5c60ecae36801 (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: Conor is small.

he's 5'9 and walks around sub 180lbs

When you're as big as "The Mountain" you have to get the fight to the ground or you gas out in a round, it takes a super large amount of energy/oxygen to power that much mass.

#10 Posted by SocaJunkie (8405 posts) - - Show Bio

His opponent would have to have stellar skill to make up for the size difference.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#11 Edited by RedHood_JayTodd (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

Conor isn't a light heavyweight though and didn't look like he was going all-out in the video. If It was Jon Jones, who has the size/strength along with the technical skill, then game over for the actor.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#12 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22734 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah....he gets pieced up. Light Heavyweights are big enough to not get overwhelmed by The Mountains sheer size so his one advantage isn't as advantageous as it seems. Look at Stefan Struve, 7 foot tall heavyweight ufc fighter, yet he routinely gets his ass beat by better, smaller heavyweights.

#13 Edited by JediXMan (42481 posts) - - Show Bio

The actor? Probably not without training. The character of the Mountain isn't a simple brute; he is noted for his surprising speed and skill with a sword. So he is a super strong, super durable, fast, skilled, and incredibly large fighter (the guy is supposed to be eight feet tall). Of course he does well.

#14 Posted by Alavanka (2585 posts) - - Show Bio

The fictional character I assume can easily win, because fiction.

The actor needs training. Otherwise, he's probably going to walk himself into a submission or get picked apart on his feet.

#15 Posted by Jooosh1996 (2737 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm assuming you mean Hafþór Björnsson and not the fictional character.

I guarantee 95% of the light Heavyweight division would put Thor down the majority of the time. With fighters like Chuck Liddell, Anthony Johnson, Rampage Jackson, Anderson Silva and Jon Jones. These guys would have no trouble putting Thor down. Its a different sport completely but Thor does not train to strike and take punches he trains to lift extremely heavy objects. Sure size does matter, if Thor gets a hold of nearly anyone on the planet it wouldn't end well but all fights start standing up.

#16 Posted by Spambot (9396 posts) - - Show Bio

Having big muscles doesn't mean you will strike hard. Especially when trained fighters are used to avoiding contact against opponents who can. Big muscles will sort of work against a person in a fight because generally the person will just tire out faster and are cumbersome for a lot of types of movement.

#17 Edited by dshipp17 (5479 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster said:

Even if he is talking about the actor and not the character, Hafbor Bjornsson still wins. Look, 9 times out of 10, I do argue for skill over strength, but there are limits. This is one of those limits. Case in point:

Loading Video...

It's clear that if he really wanted to, he'd have beaten McGregor at the 0:17 mark.

Conor was applying a strategy, probably without knowing; it was so instinctive and second nature; he was keeping him moving and trying to get him tired and sluggish and it was essentially working; just looking at it, this actor needs quite a bit of conditioning to get into fighting form; if this were real, looks like the actor would have tired out somewhere in the second round, third, at most, and Conor would have his way.

#18 Posted by Alavanka (2585 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm assuming you mean Hafþór Björnsson and not the fictional character.

I guarantee 95% of the light Heavyweight division would put Thor down the majority of the time. With fighters like Chuck Liddell, Anthony Johnson, Rampage Jackson, Anderson Silva and Jon Jones. These guys would have no trouble putting Thor down. Its a different sport completely but Thor does not train to strike and take punches he trains to lift extremely heavy objects. Sure size does matter, if Thor gets a hold of nearly anyone on the planet it wouldn't end well but all fights start standing up.

Is Thor the way you pronounce his name or something, or do you mean the fictional character? Cuz I'm confused.

#19 Posted by Jooosh1996 (2737 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Doofasa (2007 posts) - - Show Bio

Any decent light heavyweight would school him.

Avatar image for despero_z_amazo
#21 Posted by DESPERO_Z_AMAZO (291 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa said:

Any decent light heavyweight would school him.

#22 Posted by LeeM724 (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: The mountain was gassing out in that light sparring match. A light heavyweight stomps.

BJJ and Wrestling ftw

#23 Edited by Mr_Shazam0920 (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

The actor playing The Mountain would get wrecked by UFC LHW’s. You’re talking Bones Jones, Gustafsson, Anthony Johnson, Daniel Cormier, etc.

#24 Edited by XLR87T3 (9837 posts) - - Show Bio

On CV, lifting strength<Striking, even when real life disagrees with that logic. You can lift a planet with ease but if that's it than a guy who can destroy a car can WTFstomp you.

So the Mountain dies to anyone trained in punching, even Ronda Rousey

#25 Posted by Trapezoid (171 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys realize the mountain participates in the world wide strong man competition, check out some of the videos and see if you still think Mcgregor can beat him. The mountain literally dead lifted over 1000 pounds. I could argue he could physically crush Mcgregor.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#26 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22734 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys realize the mountain participates in the world wide strong man competition, check out some of the videos and see if you still think Mcgregor can beat him. The mountain literally dead lifted over 1000 pounds. I could argue he could physically crush Mcgregor.

Conors a lightweight not a light heavyweight

#27 Edited by dshipp17 (5479 posts) - - Show Bio

@trapezoid said:

That's certainly impressive, but, from the sparring match, he's gassing out; Conor's tactic is to strike him with belly shots and keep away and it's working; by the third round, he's going to be too sluggish to mount an effective defense; of course, the actor could luck out and tag Conor really good.

#28 Posted by phillip33 (4122 posts) - - Show Bio

The character curb stomps. The actor gets curb stomped. Jon Jones would work this dude over 10 times out of 10

#29 Posted by HitTheAssasin (8007 posts) - - Show Bio

The fictional character stomps, I doubt anyone could beat him 1v1 in real life. I don't know about the actor, he might lose.

#30 Edited by Alavanka (2585 posts) - - Show Bio

@trapezoid said:

McGregor can't beat him, but Mountain wasn't doing good against McGregor either. He wasn't mauling him like Khabib did. Like the biggest takeaway from that video there is that McGregor is way too small to do anything to Mountain, but Mountain didn't look like he had any clue what was going on. Someone 40-60lbs heavier than Conor definitely has a shot against Mountain, assuming what we saw in the video was the extent of Mountain's fight IQ.

#31 Edited by Aka_aka_aka_ak (2958 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, do you The Mountain from Game of Thrones (Gregor Clegane) or Hafthor?

I don't think you guys realise how strong Hafthor is, he's arguably the most powerful human to have ever lived, pulled 473kg deadlift yesterday and had more in him will be attempting 500kg at the Arnold classic, won 2018 Arnold classic and WSM.

Gregor slaughters and so does Hafthor. Hafthor crushes even heavyweight fighters. He's one of the most athletic strongmen of his calibre so there'll be no dancing around him, he just needs to grab and arm and it's game over.

@alavanka Thor said he was messing around, seriously holding back because he could have easily accidentally crushed him. What you saw in the video was nothing close to his fight IQ, he wasn't fighting, even a jab could knock McGregor off his feet.

@phillip33 "Jon Jones would work this dude over" lol good one. At least I'm hoping that's a joke. Hafthor catches Jones it's lights out, on the other hand for any lightweight UFC fighter, hitting Hafthor would be like hitting a brick wall.

@doofasa@leem724@despero_z_amazo@mr_shazam0920@invadedtbd You guys are so laughably wrong I must assume you're all joking. You are SERIOUSLY overestimating skill and underestimating strength here, there's a reason there's weight classes. Thor is 3x as heavy and 4x as strong as any lightweight UFC fighter, it would be like 10 year old child fighter vs a grown man, no amount of skill is going to stop your bones getting crushed into a powder.

#32 Posted by Trapezoid (171 posts) - - Show Bio

@aka_aka_aka_ak: That’s what people don’t understand, skill goes along a way but it does have its limits. I.e the mountain being as twice as strong, tall, and double the muscle mass.

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
#33 Posted by TheOneAboveLife (893 posts) - - Show Bio

The character curb stomps. The actor gets curb stomped. Jon Jones would work this dude over 10 times out of 10

#34 Posted by LeeM724 (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@aka_aka_aka_ak: Dude, I am not overestimating skill. Fighting strength and cardio is wayyyyyy different to lifting strength and cardio.

In that light sparring session, Hafthor displayed he had no idea of how to properly use his mass efficiently in his strikes and that he was completely inexperienced when it came to cutting off his opponent and wrestling. He was tiring out easily. And again that was a LIGHT sparring session. In an all out fight he would most likely gas out in the first minute or two.

If you won't take my word for it, watch this fight be broken down by an MMA analyst:

Loading Video...

#35 Posted by Cable_Extreme (16790 posts) - - Show Bio

Connor is too small, someone like John Jones, or Anderson Silva probably could.