Can someone help me with my workout routine?

mynameiswally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By mynameiswally

Recently I decided to start working out and do some HIIT training but I need help coming up with a daily routine. Only thing I have planned is jogging in the morning to warm myself up a bit then do some HIIT training, but how long do I wait to eat after a workout or is it better to eat first then workout? I have watche numerous videos but most don't even directly address the question and try to answer it, pls help.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mimisalome

Recently I decided to start working out and do some HIIT training but I need help coming up with a daily routine. Only thing I have planned is jogging in the morning to warm myself up a bit then do some HIIT training, but how long do I wait to eat after a workout or is it better to eat first then workout? I have watche numerous videos but most don't even directly address the question and try to answer it, pls help.

Ive read somewhere that you need to eat at least 3 to 4 hours before running else you'll have side stitch or something.

Personally I learn from experience and i resolved my running issues (shin splints, sides stitch, knee pains, throat infections (from breathing the wrong way), dehydration, even jaundice) as i encounter them via researched and trial and error.

I start at 4 am with 30 min stretching, walked for 1 km, then jog for 10 km, walk 1 km again then drink 2 glass of water before i eat breakfast (which is composed of pineapples, carrots, papayas, bananas, turmeric tea, and oatmeal). I do my muscle building exercise in the afternoon that or i play basketball/hitting the sand bag.

I dont necessarily advise such method, considering that it could lead to injuries but it worked for me and help me understand more about my physical limitations, help me understand why breathing, stretching, diet, hydration, rest, etc are important and i find it quite sufficient for my professional lifestyle.

All i can say is dont rush it and take it slow... then just go from there. Also dont over exert yourself... (it is easy to do that as running and working out can be very addicting (you'll probably starts with 10 km jog then a few more months you may find you'll be ranging in 30-50 km). You dont want a degenerative joint disease at a young age.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@god_spawn ain't you a personal trainer IRL mate? Seems like the thread for you

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd say eat before and after but not a huge meal before so you're not bloated, I never work out on an empty stomach just saps all my energy. I make sure I'm not gonna feel hungry during the workout then usually eat a good amount within an hour after and have a protein shake I find that works best for me. I don't do HIIT though I just do weight training so can't help with your actual workout.

It's good to eat straight after a workout because your muscles will take in all the nutrients better so good to have your carbs and protein straight after the workout

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#5 god_spawn  Moderator

Eating before a workout is up to the person but also dependent on the time it is done. A lot of people do a low intensity cardio in the morning before eating anything on an empty stomach, but that is just their preference. But there are studies showing that if the cardio is too intense, like you're trying to hit a six mile run without energy then that's when people get dizzy and just don't have the energy to do it. The theory behind fasted cardio is that because you don't eat your body is relying on the body's stored energy in the body's fat since no new calories have been ingested.

As far as eating goes after your workout, that's typically the best time to eat. Your body is in a state of needing calories in protein and carbs because your carbs will replace the glycogen in your body instead of straight up storing. Protein though, is the always given. I will say if you ever hear about the anabolic window, saying you have to eat protein right away, it's false otherwise you lose a window of MASSIVE gains. Your protein synthesis is increased for up to 30+ hours after you workout hard so your body makes proteins easier for that long.

Tl:DR Cardio fasted is up to the person. There are pros and cons, your body taps into it's fat stores instead of freshly ingested calories, but your ability to push yourself harder than if you did eat typically goes down a bit and you can get dizzy or feel sick easier. Eating right after your workout is a better time for eating, especially carbs, because your body is in a state of storing carbs as glycogen (body's energy reserve) and puts it to muscles instead of fat. And your body's ability to build new proteins, which means repairing muscles and such since proteins make up a lot of your body, gets put in a higher state for up to 30+ hours after.

If you want me to help you with a workout program and any other advice, just let me know. I just need to know what you have access to and what your goals are.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I typically eat before a workout as I feel sluggish on an empty stomach. However, I don't do a big meal. A banana, some yogurt, a tuna sandwich will fill my stomach. I eat big after a workout.

I feel like because of my metabolism, I have to constantly eat. But at the same time, I don't have a structured eating routine because of my job. I can't eat at work because I'm security and we don't get breaks. Coupled with a good sleep, that's around 16 hours without food. So I'm cramming so much food into me in that 8 hour period where I'm not working or sleeping.