Can an atheist believe in reincarnation?

catlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Basically as the title asks. I ask this question in the religion thread because I don't think any one would have been willing to respond or would have taken my question seriously. But I'm legitimately curious as to what the Vine thinks, and I am not trolling.

Thank you,

Catlike

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#2 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Sure, if reincarnation isn't facilitated by a higher power or being and instead has some kind of scientific or organic explanation. That's my gut reaction anyway. Not an expert.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

Sure, if reincarnation isn't facilitated by a higher power or being and instead has some kind of scientific or organic explanation. That's my gut reaction anyway. Not an expert.

I'm not an expert either, but that sounds a bit... incompatible.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@reactor: How so? I mean doesn't being an atheist just mean you don't believe in any kind of god? Genuinely asking.

Avatar image for deactivated-61919ebe21493
deactivated-61919ebe21493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By reactor

@bumpyboo said:

@reactor: How so? I mean doesn't being an atheist just mean you don't believe in any kind of god? Genuinely asking.

Basically, yeah. In colloquial ways, it often has a broader application than that, ie; disbelief in anything in the supernatural or metaphysical avenues. I have a hard time imagining the concept of reincarnation not being linked to that, and thus I can't see how someone who is atheistic could believe that something physical of them survives immaterially only to come about in a new physical form.

But again, I'm by no means an expert on this, so I guarantee that I got a lot wrong here (EDIT: Just as an example, in the event that someone is an atheist but believes in ghosts, or something like that)

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@reactor: that's kind of interesting. So I guess the real question then would be whether one can believe in the existence of a human soul and still be an atheist? And does the existence of a soul automatically imply some kind of divine presence or purpose?

And I thought I was gonna sleep tonight smh

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

@reactor: that's kind of interesting. So I guess the real question then would be whether one can believe in the existence of a human soul and still be an atheist? And does the existence of a soul automatically imply some kind of divine presence or purpose?

And I thought I was gonna sleep tonight smh

I honestly hadn't thought much about this initially, but now I'm kinda curious too

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren’t Buddhists atheists who believe in reincarnation?

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By last0fth3risen

Buddha was likely an atheist, so yes.

Well, he believed in "rebirth" which is somewhat different. Reincarnation is a Hindu doctrine, but it's also a New Age concept.

catlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By catlike
@alphaq said:

Aren’t Buddhists atheists who believe in reincarnation?

I'd say "sort of" to modern-day Buddhists.. They are warm when it come's to atheistic ideologies, but I would say they're not quite atheists. They still have traditions. But Buddha himself I'd say was mostly an atheist. But I'm not sure of any of this myself.

@last0fth3risen said:

Well, he believed in "rebirth" which is somewhat different. Reincarnation is a Hindu doctrine, but it's also a New Age concept.

Agreed.

I'd say they're pretty close. But "rebirth" seems to have lot more mumbo jumbo when it comes to describing it (at least from what I can see from it's Wikipedia page) and seems to be associated more closely with Buddhism.

Avatar image for teaganwallis193
teaganwallis193

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you explain the difference between reincarnation and rebirth for me?

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@last0fth3risen said:

Can you explain the difference between reincarnation and rebirth for me?

Sure.

Reincarnation is the idea that your soul survives death, and is reborn as something or someone else, depending on your karma from all previous lifetimes.

Rebirth is the concept that what's left of you after death becomes a part of something else, but there is no soul, so "you" as an entity cease to exist.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You would have to acknowledge a “metaphysical order”. Once you cross that line it’s just a matter of your definition of a Theos.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. There are atheist who believe in all sorts of supernatural stuff. My ex-boyfriend is an atheist but believes in ghosts. Literally the only requirement for being an atheist is not believing in god/gods.