Can a swan really break your arm?

RobertMiles1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RobertMiles1

We've all heard this one. Also, how would he do it? Would he be hitting you with his wing or pulling on your arm with his snake-like neck thing? I've even heard it claimed that one could break the neck of a large dog.

CyberpunkCop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but it can pluck out your eye

RobertMiles1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for randybutternubs
RandyButterNubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently their wings are capable of breaking every bone in your body. If a wing in full span and velocity were to hit someone with weaker bones such as children or an elderly person then yes it is possible but if you are an adult tall enough to where they can't each you then they can't really cause much harm.

Dogzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmao hell no

Avatar image for the_thereminist
The_Thereminist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably. Has anyone ever heard the deafening whooshing of geese flying overhead.

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can break it’s neck as well too.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wolfrazer

Geese wings hurt like a mofo, I’m sure a Swan is similar though not sure about breaking arm.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe.

Avatar image for the_thereminist
The_Thereminist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geese wings hurt like a mofo, I’m sure a Swan is similar though not sure about breaking arm.

Got whacked by a goose? Those mean bastards have attacked me in my canoe a few times, checking my leech traps.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_thereminist: Multiple whacks and I couldn’t feel my arm for a bit. Use to own geese before moving, guess I got too close to them one day while feeding em and got whacked.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 SC  Moderator

It can potentially, but not as... "easily" as some rumors/tales could suggest. Unless you are a small child or very frail, if such an attack were to somehow break your arm, it would probably injure the swan much worse, which would be a poor trade off for it. So it would have to be in a really aggressive mood, to forgo its sense of self preservation, and other variables would have to line up... like I don't know the odds? People can break their arms just by falling over though, its not really a common issue though.

As for where the idea/myth came from? Probably their occasional aggressive, territorial, protectiveness. Probably in relation to how calm, and serene, and elegant they might otherwise seem. So such tales probably get perpetuated as a cautionary tale, to be weary of certain swan behavior, like if they are protecting its nest, a partner or its baaaabbbbiiiesss!

Magpies are similar. In Australia, some can kill you! Except, usually those deaths are rare and the result of people be attacked by a magpie and cycling into cars etc they have a bad reputation, and can be aggressive and annoying, but not really deadly.

Source: I use to train Swans for Hollywood movies, for 4 decades. I was what they call a Swan Whisperer. I know everything there is to know about creating and maintaining a swan army.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alavanka

I cannot imagine it. No.

It's a 15lbs animal at best, and it's not even that fast for a bird of its size. It's also probably got like hollow bones. If you can kick a 200lbs heavybag at full speed without your shin bone snapping in two, I cannot imagine the swan going fast enough to hurt you. I suppose that anything can happen, and the birds might be able to overpower women, children, and some frail men. Maybe I'm missing something.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robertmiles1:

@the_thereminist:

Great question.

The answer can only be known by first answering this riddle....

....what has legs, balls, pockets and green felt?

RobertMiles1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers