• 105 results
Bucketz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bucketz

Which is better? If a Wrestler fought a Boxer, who would win? 

Wrestler Win Conditions: Pin 

Boxer Win Conditions: KO/ TKO

V.s. 

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By slimj87d

There is no answer to this question. 

Bucketz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bucketz
@SlimJ87D: ?
Bucketz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bucketz
@iplayps3_galactus said:
@Bucketz said:
If a Boxer fought a Wrestler (not wwe bullcrap), who would win? 

V.s. 

Ok since I actually have trained and am an avid fight fan,Wrestling over 70% of the time. Wreslters are trained to use muscles of the body in ways that would tire any other athlete out,boxers are trained to deliver blows that would disintegrate muscles and shatter bones. they also can take punishment but it comes down to stamina. once a wrestler grabs you,your arms are put into a use that never has been experienced,blood rushes to them and they become heavy causing your punches to be ineffective and powerless and a lot slower,this giving the wrestler the hand.  wrestler wins most of the time. 
Now, what happens if a Wrestler goes for say...a double-leg take down and gets punched in the face. A wrestlers jaw isn't necessarily trained to handle such a hard punch from a boxer and if that punch hits the chin then the wrestler is out cold. Wrestler don't have any face blocking moves because there is no punching in Wrestling, so the Wrestler wouldn't know how to defend himself against the Boxer's head shots and body blows. Its a close match but if say a Mike Tyson heavy hitter punched the wrestler coming in, that Wrestler is probably knocked out because: A, He probably isn't blocking. B. He is heading straight into an uppercut. 

I can be swayed but right now i'm thing the Boxer could win. I am on the high school wrestling team and I feel if i'm coming in for the take down, if it isn't fast enough then i'm going to get slammed in the jaw by a boxer's uppercut. Ouch. 
slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By slimj87d

I also do both. There is no clear answer to this. 

A boxer can literally kill someone with one punch if they aren't wearing gloves. 
A wrestler has a larger arsenal of moves. 

It comes down to who has trained to counter the other the bset 

Lance Bastro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lance Bastro
Bucketz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bucketz
@iplayps3_galactus said:
@Bucketz said:
@iplayps3_galactus said:
@Bucketz said:
If a Boxer fought a Wrestler (not wwe bullcrap), who would win? 

V.s. 

Ok since I actually have trained and am an avid fight fan,Wrestling over 70% of the time. Wreslters are trained to use muscles of the body in ways that would tire any other athlete out,boxers are trained to deliver blows that would disintegrate muscles and shatter bones. they also can take punishment but it comes down to stamina. once a wrestler grabs you,your arms are put into a use that never has been experienced,blood rushes to them and they become heavy causing your punches to be ineffective and powerless and a lot slower,this giving the wrestler the hand.  wrestler wins most of the time. 
Now, what happens if a Wrestler goes for say...a double-leg take down and gets punched in the face. A wrestlers jaw isn't necessarily trained to handle such a hard punch from a boxer and if that punch hits the chin then the wrestler is out cold. Wrestler don't have any face blocking moves because there is no punching in Wrestling, so the Wrestler wouldn't know how to defend himself against the Boxer's head shots and body blows. Its a close match but if say a Mike Tyson heavy hitter punched the wrestler coming in, that Wrestler is probably knocked out because: A, He probably isn't blocking. B. He is heading straight into an uppercut.  I can be swayed but right now i'm thing the Boxer could win. I am on the high school wrestling team and I feel if i'm coming in for the take down, if it isn't fast enough then i'm going to get slammed in the jaw by a boxer's uppercut. Ouch. 
You wouldn't have to worry about that because the chances of a boxing reacting that fast are 10 to 1,the sudden change in levels and arm speed and retraction speed would be nearly impossible but allow me to say it like this.  An A CLASS WRESTLER vs An A CLASS BOXER=Wreslter wins.  Anything else lower is up for grabs,
Boxers usually act that fast when they have to dodge and block punches. It's not like their sloths. 

Thats debatable. An "A" class Wrestler means that he is agile, knows many moves, strong, willpower. An "A" class Boxer is fast, experienced and knows where and when to hit someone, strong, willpower. It isn't so clean cut as you put it. Boxer's move around the ring all the time and regularly dodge, parry and block head or body punches. I wouldn't be surprised if the Boxer moved out of the way for a take-down. But I would be surprised if a "A" class Wrestler dodged an "A" class fast body or head punch from a Boxer unscathed. Those punches are coming in fast and the styles are different for both techniques. Combinations would be problems too.  

I just feel that if the Wrestler comes in, the Boxer would get a punch off or maybe move out of the way, keep distance and close in with combinations. And say if the Wrestler does get the Boxer to the ground, it doesn't stop the Boxer from throwing punches from the floor into the Wrestler's face and body. They wouldn't be as powerful, but they would hurt a lot and thats not mentioning that the Boxer could possibly escape.
Bucketz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bucketz
@SlimJ87D said:
I also do both. There is no clear answer to this.  A boxer can literally kill someone with one punch if they aren't wearing gloves. A wrestler has a larger arsenal of moves.  It comes down to who has trained to counter the other the bset 
Yea, I do both as well. 

But picture this fight in your head. If you could choose one, who would you choose?
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Static Shock

I want to say wrestling because of Dan Severn. His fighting ability seemed to be successful against all kinds of fighters and all he did was wrestling.

drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By drkhwk2001

A wrestler would beat the brakes off a boxer...............................Coming from a state champion wrestler who also boxed golden gloves.

VaizD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By VaizD

Randy Couture Vs James Toney says Wrestling. I know, it's a really shitty example, since neither of them are in their prime, but it's a great showcase for the fact that once you get a pure striker (Meaning they have little to no ground game.) on the ground, they're often times helpless.

It's true it could go either way, but there are plenty of takedowns meant to deal with the possibility of being punched, so that threat can, in some cases, be neutralized. Going back to the Randy Vs. Toney fight, Couture used a low single leg takedown meant specifically for that sort of situation that, while not super effective in an actual wrestling match, is great for both keeping distance so as not to get effin' punched, and taking someone who has no idea what's going on down.

So I'm going to give the wrestling a good 75-80% chance. Basically, 8 out of 10 times, the wrestler wins.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By slimj87d

Are we talking about shoot wrestling? Or competitive wresting like the olympics? 

VaizD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By VaizD
@SlimJ87D said:
Are we talking about shoot wrestling? Or competitive wresting like the olympics? 
Good question.
Bucketz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bucketz
@drkhwk2001 said:
A wrestler would beat the brakes off a boxer...............................Coming from a state champion wrestler who also boxed golden gloves.
I Wrestle. I just want to know, what would a Wrestler do to the Boxer that would prevent him from getting smashed in the face. I guess i'll say this: 

If the Wrestler can perform a successful take-down, then I suppose he could win, unless the Boxer can get out or punch him while on the ground (We see this often in the UFC) 

If the Boxer can get a combination in or even just a punch, the wrestler doesn't really have defense for it because they aren't blocking their face. If the Wrestler also comes in for a take-down (Double Leg, Single Leg, Bear Hug) and gets slammed in the face, that could be a KO. 

Then. This could go either way depending what happens I guess. If the Wrestler goes for say...a slip single or a low single then it could be low enough for the Boxer not being able to punch him. On the other hand the Wrestler could get punched in the face as he is coming down to perform this move if he unless the Wrestler has distance, but in that case the Boxer can (and has) move away (or in this case, around the ring or mat). 

In any case the Wrestler should go low if he wants to win. If the Wrestler attempts to grab the Boxer's hands or clinch the Boxer, he would likely get KO'd because Boxer's go into the clinch often during matches. 

If the Wrestler is skilled enough then he could win this. Same goes for Boxer I suppose.
Bucketz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bucketz
@SlimJ87D said:
Competitive wrestling like the Olympics and College Wrestling I suppose. Not WWE bullcrap.
drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By drkhwk2001
@Bucketz: Boxers naturally box with one leg forward(prime real-estate for a wrestler). Wrestler almost always faint a move before performing it. Which would cause a boxer to react and swing further leaving himself open for a leg attack(double, single, or whatever), Boxers also like to clinch, which would be a fatal mistake. A wrestler only has to grasp any part of a boxer anatomy to end the match. A boxer has get a solid shot in, in a place to KO or stun the wrestler to win. Wrestlers get cross faced and  head butted and such alot so glancing blows would probably not stop him. And keep in mind every individual has a different level of required power to be knockout. I know I would take the ability to incapacitate someone just by getting hold of a part of their anatomy(which is more likely in a fight), than having to rely on getting the perfect punch(s), with sufficient amount of power, and hope that cat can't take a punch.
Avatar image for luke_moonwalker
Luke Moonwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Luke Moonwalker
drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By drkhwk2001
@Luke Moonwalker said:
Nuff said................
Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Greco Roman Wrestling champion versus a boxing champion the wrestler should take it most of the time. 
Boxer= no take down defense and the wrestler WILL take the fight to the mats. 
That said, all fights start standing up so theirs always a puncher's chance...
alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By alcoholbob

Collegiate wrestler? Does he even have any skills beyond taking it to the mat?

Bucketz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bucketz
@drkhwk2001 said:
@Luke Moonwalker said:
Nuff said................
The Wrestler i'm talking about is oure Wrestling. As in no MMA background, grappling. Just Wrestling (College, High School, Olympics). If the Boxer was like Mike Tyson in has prime or as fast as Manny Pacquiao would probably drop the Wrestler before movement. Btw to everyone. Boxer's faint punches, combinations and dodge punches also.
Luke Moonwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Luke Moonwalker

Stylistically, Tyson has a much better chance than almost every boxer ever to win against a wrestler because of his speed and one punch knockout power. However, a top class wrestler like Aleksandr Karelin would probably take down Tyson with every attempt, especially if he does a low single leg like Randy demonstrated against Toney in the gif above. So with Tyson, it become kind of like a 50/50 chance of him winning or losing. If he hits the mat, he loses. If he lands a punch, he probably wins.  In most cases boxers do not have one punch knockout power and would be smothered before landing anything significant and the boxer gets taken down and pounded on.

Bucketz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bucketz

People, I am talking about high school/ college/ Olympic wrestling. No MMA ground n pound, grappling background. Just pure wrestling. 

The Win conditions in my head were: 

Wrestler can wins by Pin (Like College/High School Wrestling Rules) 

Boxer has to win by KO/TKO (Standard boxing rules)

RedRobin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By RedRobin92

Boxing

Luke Moonwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Luke Moonwalker

What I've posted still applies.  The wrestler will pin the boxer far more times than the boxer will knockout the wrestler.

drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By drkhwk2001
@Bucketz:  To put it simply................................Manny, Mike or any other boxer has been trained for umpteen years to attack and defend standing up.............a ground attack(shot) would be alien to all of them. Take Tyson, against any Olympic wrestler. Tyson would look for a knock out punch and swing wildly to get it(upper torso and up). He would be taken down and punched(like every knows how to do), and head locked or grape vined or legs put on him. The only thing the wrestler would have to worry about is being bitten. 
Bucketz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bucketz
@drkhwk2001 said:
@Bucketz:  To put it simply................................Manny, Mike or any other boxer has been trained for umpteen years to attack and defend standing up.............a ground attack(shot) would be alien to all of them. Take Tyson, against any Olympic wrestler. Tyson would look for a knock out punch and swing wildly to get it(upper torso and up). He would be taken down and punched(like every knows how to do), and head locked or grape vined or legs put on him. The only thing the wrestler would have to worry about is being bitten. 
Read the OP. The Wrestler has to win by pin and the Boxer has to win by KO.
drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By drkhwk2001
@Bucketz said:
@drkhwk2001 said:
Read the OP. The Wrestler has to win by pin and the Boxer has to win by KO.
Whats your point? Everything I described would result inna pin.....................
Bucketz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bucketz
@drkhwk2001:   Tyson would look for a knock out punch and swing wildly to get it(upper torso and up). He would be taken down and punched(like every knows how to do), 

Or...The bell rings and the Wrestler closes in to do a move and gets one punch to the face or body by Tyson. Game Over.
Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Rumble Man

What position?

On their feet boxer takes it

On the ground boxer is simply outclassed

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Delta1938

VaziD got it about right saying the wrestler 75%-80% of the time. This goes back to the Victorian era in more modern times. Back then they had numerous Boxing VS Wrestling(as well as Jujitsu VS Wrestling and Jujitsu VS Boxing matches when some world class Jujitsu fighters came from Japan to Europe and America), and the wrestler almost always won. Including a time where the boxer hit the wrestler hard enough to break the wrestler's jaw. And the rules were actually the same as the OP's rules, KO/TKO=win for boxer, pin=win for wrestler. I actually hadn't even read of a boxer winning.

Then we see the same in MMA. Royce Gracie beat Art Jimmerson(or whatever the guy's name was) simply because he frustrated the dude with a takedown and superior position(and BJJ guys tend to have inferior takedown ability compared to a decent Division I wrestler). As mentioned before, Randy Couture took James Toney down with little problem. Sure, the boxer could get a lucky blow, but the odds are not in his favor if he has no takedown defense(which I would think if he did, would defeat the whole point of the question).

@alcoholbob said:

Collegiate wrestler? Does he even have any skills beyond taking it to the mat?

If you mean, can they take down their opponents outside of a wrestling match, well I know a number of MMA fighters have had success in their early careers with little more skill and training than their wrestling backgrounds. So, I think the answer is yes? Although I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Bo88gdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bo88gdan

if wrestler cant take down a boxer then he is going to be destroyed 

krilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By krilling

@SlimJ87D said:

I also do both. There is no clear answer to this. A boxer can literally kill someone with one punch if they aren't wearing gloves. A wrestler has a larger arsenal of moves. It comes down to who has trained to counter the other the bset

This.

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Delta1938

@Bo88gdan said:

if wrestler cant take down a boxer then he is going to be destroyed

And what exactly are the odds that a wrestler can't takedown a boxer considering I'm reasonably sure that the OP intended a pure wrestler VS a pure boxer? Historically, the wrestlers have just about always won in mixed style matches. In fact, Muhammad Ali was afraid of his opponent's grappling when he went to Japan for a mixed style fight, when he realized Inoki wanted a real fight, not a show, and Ali saw his grappling ability(Ali demanded no grappling, as well as weird rules like Inoki could only kick with one knee on the ground, to handicap Inoki). In fact, Inoki broke the rules like 3 times and took Ali down with no problem, but even just the weird angles Inoki was in caused Ali to hesitate throwing punches.

@krilling said:

@SlimJ87D said:

I also do both. There is no clear answer to this. A boxer can literally kill someone with one punch if they aren't wearing gloves. A wrestler has a larger arsenal of moves. It comes down to who has trained to counter the other the bset

This.

And if the fight is on a very hard surface, a wrestler can literally kill someone with a takedown. So the boxer has no advantage there, especially since if he has half a brain he'll be less effective trying to avoid takedowns.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By darktiger

@Static Shock said:

I want to say wrestling because of Dan Severn. His fighting ability seemed to be successful against all kinds of fighters and all he did was wrestling.

agreed

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Delta1938

@darktiger said:

@Static Shock said:

agreed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Severn#Mixed_martial_arts_record

He fought an awful lot(total of 127 fights), he's 54, and it's not clear if he's actually retired or not. And he's mostly BEEN WINNING EVEN YEARS AFTER HE WAS OLD FOR THE SPORT. Yeah, it's been years since he's fought a significant opponent, but look at how long he's been doing it(tons of wear and tear on the body), and how often(typically fights ONCE A MONTH where most fighters only fight 4-5 times a year). I think he has a healing factor.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By slimj87d

@Delta1938: Please read my post thoroughly to avoid misinterpretations when responding. Thank you.

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Delta1938

@SlimJ87D: Technically I was replying to someone who was quoting you and highlighting, not responding to you actually.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Stronger

How many f#cking times will I say that there are NO BETTER MARTIAL ARTS THAN OTHERS..

THERE ARE ONLY BETTER F#CKING FIGHTERS.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40  Edited By GraniteSoldier

My MMA experience leads me to this conclusion: put a boxer in a wrestling match the wrestler wins, put a wrestler in a boxing match the boxer wins. Comparing which is better by having them go at it doesn't really proove which is better. Couture beat Toney in an MMA fight, but if Couture had to fight Toney in a boxing match Couture would lose. There isn't really such a thing as a better fight style or martial art, just a better fighter. So a good boxer can beat a wrestler, and a good wrestler could beat a boxer.

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By Typhion

@GraniteSoldier said:

My MMA experience leads me to this conclusion: put a boxer in a wrestling match the wrestler wins, put a wrestler in a boxing match the boxer wins. Comparing which is better by having them go at it doesn't really proove which is better. Couture beat Toney in an MMA fight, but if Couture had to fight Toney in a boxing match Couture would lose. There isn't really such a thing as a better fight style or martial art, just a better fighter. So a good boxer can beat a wrestler, and a good wrestler could beat a boxer.

I'd have to agree, but MMA is a mix. Tony was free to do whatever he needed to do...he just couldn't wrestle. Since most fights go to the ground, the better ground game often wins. It's why grapplers have taken a bit lead over strikers in MMA. A good wrestler can pull both arms out of socket within 20 seconds if they're up against an untrained striker. Sure a striker could get the magic kill punch, but realistically, the person most likely to do long term damage 8 times out of 10 is the wrestler.

toby5678910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By toby5678910

Kimbo slice = Boxer

Seth Petruzelli = Wrestler

Loading Video...

Skip to 4:15

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Delta1938

@Stronger said:

How many f#cking times will I say that there are NO BETTER MARTIAL ARTS THAN OTHERS..

I would say the number of times you have to say it depends on the number of times you want to be wrong.

@GraniteSoldier said:

But we're talking style VS style, much more pure an example than MMA today, like the early UFCs(sorta), or stuff they had in the past(Inoki's various fights in the 70's, back to stuff they had during the Victorian era). This isn't a wrestler in a boxing match or a boxer in a wrestling match, it's a boxer fighting by his rules and a wrestling fighting by his rules. Odds are, the wrestler will get the pin.

toby5678910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By toby5678910

@Stronger said:

There are better martial arts, a lot of martial arts use unnecessary movements, and look at judo - the whole marital art is ceremonial, you have to let yourself get tossed around like a rag-doll, no one uses judo IRL - most useless martial art ever. (thats why you see 0 judo fighers in mma).

Delta1938

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Delta1938

@toby5678910 said:

@Stronger said:

There are better martial arts, a lot of martial arts use unnecessary movements, and look at judo - the whole marital art is ceremonial, you have to let yourself get tossed around like a rag-doll, no one uses judo IRL - most useless martial art ever. (thats why you see 0 judo fighers in mma).

um I've trained in Judo. I've used it in street fights. I've used it rather effectively, actually.

And you see 0 Judo fighters in MMA? I see one here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1d_XS5BvnM

And here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa5j6NFgJKg

And one of the top ranked women in the world here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf-eNVAeC0U

Consider yourself "owned."

toby5678910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By toby5678910

@Delta1938 said:

@toby5678910 said:

@Stronger said:

um I've trained in Judo. I've used it in street fights. I've used it rather effectively, actually.

And you see 0 Judo fighters in MMA? I see one here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1d_XS5BvnM

And here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa5j6NFgJKg

And one of the top ranked women in the world here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf-eNVAeC0U

Consider yourself "owned."

LOL 1% of mma fighters use Judo and there all shit. Only losers and babies who are afraid to get hurt learn Judo LOL, I live in Hawaii and everyone and there grandma here knows Judo.

Consider yourself "owned" when you meet a BJJ figher, then you will learn the difference between ceremonial throws and throws designed to be efficient.

LOL your telling me one of the top ranked women in the world in JUDO (not MMA) uses JUDO ??? ORLY ??? She only has 4 MMA fights and 3/4 of them she won using a JuJitsu arm bar...

In reality Judo is just above Capoeira in usefulness.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/BoiseIdahoCapoeira.ogv

ALMIGHTY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ALMIGHTY

@toby5678910: Actually BJJ originates from Judo that armbar that you saw the woman use is a move that was created FIRST in Judo. The Gracie family (the creators of BJJ) came up with BJJ after being taught a lesson of judo. Many of the knee bars and arm bars and throws and trips used in BJJ, originate from Judo the triangle choke, googaplata, and rubber guard, are probably the only moves in BJJ that do not originate from Judo.

So if you have respect for BJJ you must have respect for Judo being that BJJ took principles from Judo.

I have trained in both and could tell you Judo is more helpful IMO... It focuses you from being put on your ass, and teaches you to put people on their ass LOL !!!

Were as BJJ focusses more on what to do once your on your ass.

Both are helpful but as you said I real life, wouldn't you want to be the guy who puts someone on their ass ??? Potentially knocking them out from the Judo throw, or trip.

Respect Judo....

toby5678910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By toby5678910

@ALMIGHTY said:

@toby5678910: Actually BJJ originates from Judo that armbar that you saw the woman use is a move that was created FIRST in Judo. The Gracie family (the creators of BJJ) came up with BJJ after being taught a lesson of judo. Many of the knee bars and arm bars and throws and trips used in BJJ, originate from Judo the triangle choke, googaplata, and rubber guard, are probably the only moves in BJJ that do not originate from Judo.

So if you have respect for BJJ you must have respect for Judo being that BJJ took principles from Judo.

I have trained in both and could tell you Judo is more helpful IMO... It focuses you from being put on your ass, and teaches you to put people on their ass LOL !!!

Were as BJJ focusses more on what to do once your on your ass.

Both are helpful but as you said I real life, wouldn't you want to be the guy who puts someone on their ass ??? Potentially knocking them out from the Judo throw, or trip.

Respect Judo....

Judo has 3 good throws, thats it. Then the rest of the stuff is ceremonial... My older bro took judo for 10 years I took BJJ for 8, guess who kicks whos ass all day long haha.

OFC BJJ came from judo, they just removed all the inefficient ceremonial crap that will get you killed in the ring if you tried it...

To be good in MMA you need to have mastered multiple disciplines. However all you need from Judo is a few throws, mastering judo is highly inefficient if your serious about getting into MMA, 99% of trainers will tell you its a waste of time to get too deep into judo.

Any martial arts training is going to be useful, especially vs someone who has no training. Humans learn from experience, by learning Judo your putting yourself into a structured combat situation, and It will help you win fights. However if you put the time into a different discipline like BJJ you would have probably fare a lot better in a fight then just pure Judo.

There's a reason why the top fighters in the world don't concentrate much time at all to Judo...

ALMIGHTY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ALMIGHTY

@toby5678910: True, true, but if you look at many Brazillians in the UFC like, Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, Shogun, hell even GSP, they all have (along with BJJ) a Judo background, (I believe everyone I just named has a black belt in Judo)

It may seem useless but it's the perfect counter to wrestling it teaches you how to use leverage and positing to throw or toss someone instead of brute force. And on top of that teaches you submissions such as armbars, leg locks, chokes, and in some cases ground and pound.

If mixed with a good stand up art such as Muay Thai/Kickboxing, or even Boxing or Karate, a fighter could be very well rounded, Machida, Jose Aldo are the best examples of that.