Better Film: Captain America: Civil War or Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King?

• 52 results
UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Better Film: Captain America: Civil War or Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King? (48 votes)

Captain America: Civil War 50%
Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King 50%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By UberLives

Two of the greatest movies ever made. Civil War is the superior movie, CAPping off the superior trilogy for me.

ISpyOnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMHO Tolkien with the better trilogy.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ROTK is better than any MCU film

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any LOTR film >>>>>>>>> entire MCU.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lotr, and it isn't close

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skywalker95: Honestly, Infinity War, Endgame and Civil War outclass everything LOTR in all. Not even close.

ROTK is better than any MCU film

There a lot of MCU movies better than ROTK.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness:

I saw LOTR movies many years ago and that's the last time I'll watch them. There were good and different and everything but they are not my cup of tea.

I personally enjoyed Civil War, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Infinity War, Endgame, Age of Ultron and The First Avenger more. Black Panther is close but I wouldn't put it as strictly better. Same for Ragnarok.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uberlives: what makes those marvel movies better? For you.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By UberLives

@ready_4_madness: Just the opposite for me. I liked Return Of The King but it really doesn't come close to Civil War or Infinity War. Regardless of how Civil War stands up to it's predecessor, it's still a better overall film than any of the LOTR trilogy by miles. Don't get me wrong, LOTR is interesting but it seemed stuck in one tone, a lot of walking for its entire running time. Most marvel films, like Civil War have a wide range of emotions, a more enjoyable run and have more depth.

Marvel movies are great because they have good acting, great characters, great directing, care about the characters, good action scenes, and have great themes.

This is my point of view, you haven't given me any argument except claiming that Marvel is not good.

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By UberLives

@amcu: I'm interested to know what makes you think that. I'm pretty sure no one believes that Two Towers is "far better" than the likes of The Dark Knight, Infinity War and Days Of Future Past.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Just the opposite for me. I liked Return Of The King but it really doesn't come close to Civil War or Infinity War. Regardless of how Civil War stands up to it's predecessor, it's still a better overall film than any of the LOTR trilogy by miles. Don't get me wrong, LOTR is interesting but it seemed stuck in one tone, a lot of walking for its entire running time. Most marvel films, like Civil War have a wide range of emotions, a more enjoyable run and have more depth.

Marvel movies are great because they have good acting, great characters, great directing, care about the characters, good action scenes, and have great themes.

This is my point of view, you haven't given me any argument except claiming that Marvel is not good.

I haven't given an argument because I just want to understand your perspective as to why you think Civil War is the better movie.

To say LOTR is just a lot of walking, that's just false. That would be like me saying the Marvel films is just a bunch of people fighting the entire time. Marvel films are fun popcorn flicks especially Civil War but there's not that much depth most of the time, where's the depth in Civil War enlighten me? I'd argue that Gollum has more depth than anyone in Civil War.

Loading Video...

LOTR has better acting, better cinematography, great characters, better directing, great action scenes and good themes. The battle of Helms Deep had better directing than the big battle sequence in Civil War, it was leaps and bounds ahead.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu: I'm interested to know what makes you think that. I'm pretty sure no one believes that Two Towers is "far better" than the likes of The Dark Knight, Infinity War and Days Of Future Past.

I love the MCU but I don't think it comes close to any of the LOTR films at all. Personally I think LOTR is on a different scale emotionally and in terms of epic moments. And the Two Towers is arguably the best LOTR film IMO. As a whole I would say that LOTR is by far the best movie series of all time. But opinions are opinions. There's nothing wrong with preferring MCU films. I don't personally though.

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By UberLives

@ready_4_madness: Both are great films but in terms of quality, Civil War outclasses ROTK all day long. I thought CW built perfectly off Age of Ultron and delivered as much charisma and smarts but more intensity and thrills, especially in the final fight in Siberia. To me, that's the definition of greatness. It certainly means it comes in above any of the LOTR movies which were never that emotional. Civil War is smart, well structured and offered great performances. Ian McKellen's Gandalf is great sure, but RDJ's Iron Man is almost as good. RDJ is amazing and that's also a difference. In terms of villains; Helmut Zemo > Sauron by far. Great performances to go with the thrills like Cap's and Panther's and the laughs like Spidey's give the winner in my book.

Age of Ultron was a great film but Civil War took everything movie one did and expanded on it. After going darker and deeper with the accords, Zemo and the Hydra's flashbacks, they had a lot of fun with the airport fight. This gave some of the same flavor to the film as the predecessor.

No Caption Provided

That was a wonderful creative decision. Add the best final act in comic movie history and why wouldn't Civil War be called one of the best ever?

You are talking about heaping praise upon a movie that doesn't deserve it. Two Towers was boring and certainly not as good as any of the Cap's films. The Helms Deep battle happened in TT, and it's not as good as the airport fight for sure.

The message is that the Government takes events of things going badly, by removing to take our freedom away with security, and adding more security, registration and identification and so on.

Captain America and Black Panther are political characters, heavily involved with their respective Governments, their role in the conflict have political message behind it. Sure you may not like it, but the message is more powerful and prominent than three hours of walking of LOTR.

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By UberLives

@amcu: I understand, thanks for giving me your honest thoughts on this. I honestly disagree, because honestly the best movie franchise is still The Godfather for me.

I prefer the MCU, and I think ROTK while being the best LOTR movie, isn't anything more than a great movie. I personally didn't enjoy Two Towers much. I'd place it in the same level of Homecoming and Iron Man 2.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Necromancer76  Online

Is this a joke, ROTK stomps

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uberlives: Civil War builds off of Age of Ultron well but I’d argue that each move from the LOTR trilogy does that better than any trilogy. They literally flow like one movie. Both Ian and Serkis had better performances than RDJ. Sauron was barely a focus as a character but his presence was consistently felt in that film. He was a better villain than Zemo, who’s plan has too many holes. And Zemo was literally the most boring character in CW alongside Vision.

Age of Ultron is a 5/10 so Civil War was always going to expand on that mess of a film. Airport fight while it was decent, it lacked any tension for me so I kind of disregard it. The best final act in comic book history? Ehhh not really DOFP, Infinity War, TDK, Watchmen etc. It’s definitely up there though.

Lool at the airport fight being better than Helms deep, like just no. The government taking people’s freedom is not depth, there’s not that many layers to Civil Wars plot or the characters. The plot is basic, let’s not pretend like there’s more to the film when it’s not trying to be deep. It’s just a popcorn flick.

Civil War is my favourite MCU film but it’s not on par with any of the LOTR films.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fabc76a05e3b
deactivated-5fabc76a05e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cw, suprised at poll results

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 killbilly  Moderator
UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Civil War is indeed the absolutely perfect mix of good filmaking and entertainment. With a complex plot and introduction of new characters. RDJ's Iron Man is a more complex, interesting and better character than any of LOTR's by far.

Zemo is a far better villain than Sauron, better motivation, dialogues and better strategy. And his plan had no plot holes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/eyvymm/zemos_civil_war_plan_is_very_simple_and_did_not/

I agree that TDK has a better final act, but the rest are easily weaker due to the emotional impact of the final fight. The airport fight is definitely way better, and has consequences and was needed in the plot. There was a reason to fight, and it was fun, something LOTR never was.

The movie has actually depth, compared to other CBMs and it's not a pop corn flick. AoU alone is better than TT, so I don't see how it is actually a "mess movie", I consider it to be on par with MOS and TDKR as movies that are underappreciated.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness:

AoU alone is better than TT, so I don't see how it is actually a "mess movie", I consider it to be on par with MOS and TDKR as movies that are underappreciated.

No Caption Provided

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Regarding your point about Gandalf, the MCU has much better acting. LOTR maybe only had 4 actors who did a good job while the MCU is practically an ensemble who all deliver great performances and embody their characters. You are going out of your way to make LOTR films look good while stepping on anything good that I have to say about MCU movies. The most successful franchise in history.

AoU is an underrated movie, it has a solid villain, great action scenes, good directing, good acting, a good soundtrack and Whedon's style. Two Towers is boring, meanwhile everything in AoU makes you keep watching, because it's fun.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you actually think the MCU films are better than any of LoTR you're an absolute and utter idiot you're comparing academy award winning films to generic Superhero movies....

I get it the MCU is very popular and I love it too but 95% of the movies do not stack up as actually ground breaking quality films they are generic but quality Superhero stories nothing really spectacular but good

Have to set bias aside any of the LOTR are just better films

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supermod111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody will ever convince me that the MCU isn't anything more than flavor of the week popcorn entertainment so comparing it to any entry in one of the greatest film trilogies is an utter mismatch.

ROTK obliterates.

Rhubarb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

11 Oscars vs 0 Oscars

Go Figure.

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Age of Ultron is superior, The Two Towers is certainly the weakest of the saga.

I'm not arguing for LOTR to be better, I simply countered your opinion on LOTR with my own. What's showing a bias is you even admitting you were down playing the MCU to prop up ROTK.

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

LMAOOOOO

Civil War is one of the best movies ever now?

Okay. Either we got a troll, or another alt from Authentical.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nakti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOTR

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: "You are trolling and Marvel isn't good because I said it so" Really? Look at your own profile and then come back and convince me you're not a 'DC fan' of something. Tsch, hypocrisy.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ready_4_Madness

@uberlives: we’re not even discussing DC here so what are you talking about? You’re not judging LOTR and the Marvel films objectively so why should I take this debate seriously? I never said Marvel films are bad, I said AOU is bad so stop making up lies.

It’s only logical that I’d assume you’re trolling and you most likely are. I like entertaining trolls though because it’s just as fun for me so what else have you got for me?

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Civil War is still regarded to this day as one of the greatest films of all time with an ending that is as transcendent as Batman's sacrifice in TDK. It will resonate throughout the decades as one of the most influential films the genre has ever produced, resulting in a slew of great action films that followed (Infinity War, Homecoming etc.) LOTR movies are lackluster and have been not only surpassed by numerous trilogies but also been mocked severely over the years, with its terribly dated special effects, weak villains, and cringe-worthy, protagonist.

I brought up DC because you seem to favor it over Marvel, and AoU is great and underappreciated movie. I'm not trolling, just because I do have a different opinion than ours it doesn't mean that I am trolling.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Civil War is still regarded to this day as one of the greatest films of all time

And so is all of the LOTR movies, even more so than the MCU.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167260/awards

Audiences on Cinemascore gave the film a rare average grade of "A+" on an A+

So yeah show me Civil War accolades that furthers your argument of it being one of the greatest films of all time, because as of now you're just stating words with no substance.

with an ending that is as transcendent as Batman's sacrifice in TDK. It will resonate throughout the decades as one of the most influential films the genre has ever produced, resulting in a slew of great action films that followed (Infinity War, Homecoming etc.)

Time will tell.

LOTR movies are lackluster and have been not only surpassed by numerous trilogies but also been mocked severely over the years, with its terribly dated special effects, weak villains, and cringe-worthy, protagonist.

Again you're not being objective here and how can the special effects be dated when a large majority of it is practical effects. That's a big reason why the actual filmmaking of LOTR is so highly rated. Another reason why you're clearly trolling but moving on...

I brought up DC because you seem to favor it over Marvel, and AoU is great and underappreciated movie. I'm not trolling, just because I do have a different opinion than ours it doesn't mean that I am trolling.

I do prefer DC that's no secret but I'm also a Marvel fan. Doesn't really influence my opinion here though because LOTR is better than any DC film too.

No Caption Provided
Speaking of bad CGI
Speaking of bad CGI
No Caption Provided

Baldur_Odinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Civil War more.

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By UberLives

@ready_4_madness: LOTR isn't better than TDK trilogy, Joker or V For Vendetta. I think we can atleast agree that TDK is better than Two-Towers.

No swimming against anything. Factor out the constant delusion of some and most sane movie fans with taste and intelligence will choose Avengers over LOTR. Civil War is a well written and thought provoking film with heart and true soul. ROTK is a film for those of limited knowledge that want to appear smart by saying they like a successful film. The irony is that every year that goes by ROTK becomes lost and forgotten and often mocked. It's hardly trendy any more.

Civil War is one of the all-time greats of the genre, you can see any list where it's been placed and Marvel's CGI is solid. You're nitpicking over a bad frame in IW, when Thanos' and Vision's CGI was fantastic.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uberlives: Two Towers is my favourite one in the trilogy so I’m not going to agree with that. TDK trilogy lacks the cohesiveness of LOTR, LOTR also has better characters and world building. Joker is great but that’s mainly because of Phoenix performance rather than the plot. I haven’t seen V so I can’t speak on that.

I’m tired of this debate so I’m out. I asked for accolades to back up your claim but you’re just waffling now.

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: LOTR doesn't have better characters though, Batman's villains and rogue gallery are much better than LOTR's. So do you agree that TDK is better than atleast one of the LOTR movies?

I've given you my reasoning, we can just agree to disagree if you want. I agree about Joker being great mostly for the tone and main performance, but you should watch V For Vendetta.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uberlives: I didn’t ask for you reasoning, I asked you to back up your claim of it being regarded to be one of the best films ever made. The rogues are not the only characters in a film. I’ve actually backed up my claims and given you plenty reasons as to why it’s better. Making claims without backing them up is meaningless, you’re giving me personal preference, I’m looking at it objectively.

The standouts in TDK trilogy - Batman, Joker, Bane, Ra’s, Gordon, Alfred, Two-Face & Scarecrow

The standouts in LOTR trilogy - Aragorn, Gandalf, Gollum, Samwise, Legolas, Gimli, Boromir, Saruman, Faramir, Pippin, Merry, Treeman & Demethor

So tell me how does TDK have better characters when LOTR has so much more that standout. And no TDK isn’t better than any of LOTR films.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Necromancer76  Online

^^ And using TDK to prove that Civil War is even comparable to any LOTR film is a problem.

AND...the argument that ROTK is dated and nobody talks about it anymore is utterly false. People rewatch the trilogy all the time because of how much they love the trilogy. There isn't any trilogy where all three films match LOTR in quality except MAYBE the first three Toy Story movies. You're in denial at this point if you think ROTK isn't continuously praised.

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By UberLives

@ready_4_madness: There's no "objective" evidence in movies, it's all subjective. LOTR movies have a lot of lazy writing, though. The MCU uses a lot of CGI, yes, but that's to bring comics to life. You think any of the LOTR movies is better than any CBM or any SW movie, you're mistaken.

If you seriously think LOTR characters are better than every single character in Civil War or TDK, you're horribly mistaken. Most of them have a character arc, depth and complexity compared to LOTR's cardboards figures and one dimensional archetypes.

I've already explained how it's that good, because of the depth, fun and great action scenes the movie has. I have seen no argument from you regarding the MCU except downplaying it.

@necromancer76 said:

^^ And using TDK to prove that Civil War is even comparable to any LOTR film is a problem.

AND...the argument that ROTK is dated and nobody talks about it anymore is utterly false. People rewatch the trilogy all the time because of how much they love the trilogy. There isn't any trilogy where all three films match LOTR in quality except MAYBE the first three Toy Story movies. You're in denial at this point if you think ROTK isn't continuously praised.

Considering over 2 million people voted for The Dark Knight and gave it an aggregate score of 9.0/10, and a solid 8.7/10 by critics.

I think the general consensus is that The Dark Knight is at least a better film than other CBM's, and on par with the LOTR movies.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Necromancer76  Online

Considering over 2 million people voted for The Dark Knight and gave it an aggregate score of 9.0/10, and a solid 8.7/10 by critics.

I think the general consensus is that The Dark Knight is at least a better film than other CBM's, and on par with the LOTR movies.

I don't disagree with this.

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Necromancer76  Online

@uberlives: You're using TDK's quality to promote the quality of Civil War when they're different films entirely.

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@necromancer76: But while TDK is better, CW is comparable or just a bit weaker overall. So I'd say it would be fair, since some people prefer CW to TDK even whilst not being Marvel fans.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Necromancer76  Online

@uberlives: Some people, sure, but TDK is far more popular and more well-received by averages viewers (as evidenced by imdb). If you want to say Civil War is comparable to a LOTR film, let alone the best one (which it isn't), you shouldn't rely on the attributes of a different, better CBM to support your own argument

UberLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@necromancer76: Yeah, TDK is better and has beaten the first two LOTRs in a lot of sites especially TT. ROTK is the best LOTR so it might be like CW and DK.

I think CW is better for the reasons I already stated.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Necromancer76  Online

@uberlives: How can you say Civil War is better when you also claimed there's no objective evidence in movies? (which there clearly is, that's how one can say a film is more well-written than another)