Atheists , do you believe in ghosts ?

• 70 results
#1 Posted by Trololololol (842 posts) - - Show Bio

Atheists don't believe in God because of reasons such as science not confirming it , and reasons like we couldn't see or hear him . The same case could be said about ghosts . So , do you atheists believe in them or not ? If not , then what do you think is the reason behind so many people encountering them ?

If you do believe they exist , then how do you think people of different religions can use their scriptures to get rid of them ? If you believe that God doesn't exist , then that means all religions are untrue , and should have no miraculous power . So , how can they do things like this ?

#2 Posted by MainJP (7070 posts) - - Show Bio

People don’t encounter ghosts, they’re just crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf823e3012e8
#3 Posted by deactivated-5cf823e3012e8 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest ghosts are real.

#4 Posted by Trololololol (842 posts) - - Show Bio

@mainjp: Plenty of people have experienced supernatural events . So , they are all crazy in your opinion ? And how does a religious person cure this craziness using just some words from his scriptures ?

#5 Posted by SaikoDan (6 posts) - - Show Bio

its more likely there are ghost than the universe being created by a explosion.

as a matter of fact , everything is more likely than that.

#6 Posted by jonjizz (1364 posts) - - Show Bio

lol of course not, i don't believe in ghosts or spirits or souls or anything like that, there's just no evidence these things actually exists, people can say whatever they want it doesn't make it true, like those that claim they've been abducted by aliens, do you believe just because they say so? of course not

#7 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz said:

lol of course not, i don't believe in ghosts or spirits or souls or anything like that, there's just no evidence these things actually exists, people can say whatever they want it doesn't make it true, like those that claim they've been abducted by aliens, do you believe just because they say so? of course not

I believe them, as far as ghosts there is more than sufficient evidence to suggest there is in fact some kind of not understood phenomenon.

EDIT: Although I'm a misotheist deist rather than atheist.

#8 Posted by jonjizz (1364 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz said:

I believe them, as far as ghosts there is more than sufficient evidence to suggest there is in fact some kind of not understood phenomenon.

the misunderstood "phenomenon" was probably the wind or something like that, people get scared and think they saw something all the time

#9 Posted by Trololololol (842 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz: I know several people who claim to have seen ghosts and were traumatized by them . A few of them were kids , so they have no reasons to lie .

#10 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz said:
@dr_shenanigans said:
@jonjizz said:

the misunderstood "phenomenon" was probably the wind or something like that, people get scared and think they saw something all the time

Is Stone Tape theory totally off the table for you?

EDIT: Or psychokinesis and/or astral projection?

#11 Posted by jonjizz (1364 posts) - - Show Bio

@trololololol: i never said they lie, i said they THINK they saw something... but in reality it was something else

#12 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@trololololol said:

@jonjizz: I know several people who claim to have seen ghosts and were traumatized by them . A few of them were kids , so they have no reasons to lie .

I've seen them all my life, all the way to just this week.

#13 Posted by Trololololol (842 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans: would you mind giving a bit more information? How do they look like , and are they harmless ? Have you tried going to a doctor or sone religious person ?

#14 Posted by Trololololol (842 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz: a cousin of mine could see and hear them talk . How is it just "thinking" ?

#15 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@trololololol said:

@dr_shenanigans: would you mind giving a bit more information? How do they look like , and are they harmless ? Have you tried going to a doctor or sone religious person ?

It's a little squatty shadow thing with sharp pointy ears, it doesn't look 3 dimensional, it's like looking at a black hole & it just randomly goes about the house.

I was scratched up & bitten 1 time in my life but other than that I've never had anything violent happen aside from things being knocked off counter tops.

#16 Posted by jonjizz (1364 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz said:
@dr_shenanigans said:
@jonjizz said:

Is Stone Tape theory totally off the table for you?

yes, believe me i would be the first to hope that ghosts were real, but at the end of the day atheists are very skeptic of anything supernatural, so of course unless there's evidence, the supernatural only exists in our imagination! and no, people saying they saw something is no evidence! there have been cases of mass hysteria that seemed unexplainable at first, but then we found out it was psychological in nature.

#17 Edited by jonjizz (1364 posts) - - Show Bio

@trololololol said:

@jonjizz: a cousin of mine could see and hear them talk . How is it just "thinking" ?

schizophrenia, for instance

#18 Posted by Trololololol (842 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz: That doesn't explain how it got cured when he went to a religious person to get help .

#19 Posted by Trololololol (842 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans: Oh ok. Has anyone apart from you ever seen it? And I don't suppose you can catch it with a camera ?

#20 Edited by RabumAlal (5360 posts) - - Show Bio

funny thread

#21 Posted by Trololololol (842 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@trololololol:

Have you tried going to a doctor or some religious person?

No I refuse psychotherapy & became an ordained christian minister in my 20's but don't actually put much stock into religion.

#23 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans: Oh ok. Has anyone apart from you ever seen it? And I don't suppose you can catch it with a camera ?

I probably could but it's unpredictable & I'd need webcams & motions sensors & shit, and I'm not a techie nor do I have the finances to get a surveillance system.

#24 Posted by BumpyBoo (14812 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz said:
@trololololol said:

schizophrenia, for instance

That's where my supernatural encounters come from. I hope O_O

#25 Posted by Jexsu (1300 posts) - - Show Bio

Please stop using "you Atheists" or any variation of that as an insult or to demean them. I'm Apatheistic, yet I believe in ghosts because I have first-hand experience with them. Believing in ghosts doesn't make someone crazy.

#26 Posted by RedLightning57 (151 posts) - - Show Bio

The mind is a powerful thing. It determines what reality is and isn't to some extent for each individual. I have no doubt in my mind that people think they've experienced ghosts, but I don't think they're "real" as some people might.

#27 Edited by dshipp17 (5658 posts) - - Show Bio

@jexsu said:

Please stop using "you Atheists" or any variation of that as an insult or to demean them. I'm Apatheistic, yet I believe in ghosts because I have first-hand experience with them. Believing in ghosts doesn't make someone crazy.

Thus, your lack of belief in God seems more selfish rather than there being no evidence of God; you should stop demeaning Christianity, in specific, in return; I also have believe in God, because of firsthand experience with Him and firsthand experience in the power of Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost, as described in the Bible and Baptist pastors. I also know of plenty of evidence that supports the Bible, Christianity, and God; the explanation is that I'm very objective in the evaluation of that evidence; however, atheists have an irrational opinion that there is no evidence for God, Christianity, and God, where their evaluation can in no way be considered objective (e.g. usually, because they refuse to examine the evidence or, in some cases, because they don't want to except that evidence, and, thus, prefer to shield themselves from the evidence, as Will was honest enough to finally admit in the Religion Thread); that's not a lack of belief but some sort of pretext to try and draw other people away Christianity and towards their cause; it just takes people being able to read through that and being informed in all of the evidence that exists supporting God, Christianity, and the Bible; if there were not so much press and if something were not a required curriculum in school, you should be able to get someone to disbelieve just about anything, until and unless they decide to listen to someone and receive the information that is available. Something without supporting material could never support a legitimate school curriculum from a school that has been accredited, but Christianity does in many ways; and we're working on a school concentration in Christian science.

Also, ghosts would be evil spirits; another name, demonic activity (e.g. hence, I believe the person experienced something, they just need to be persuaded by Christians as to what they actually saw and experienced); no departed soul, rather Hell bound or in Heaven can return from the void between Hell and Heaven, as promised by the Bible, until Jesus intervenes and allows it.

#28 Posted by ColossalSam22 (2039 posts) - - Show Bio

Most def not

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#29 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (6958 posts) - - Show Bio

Ghosts are a sham used for getting money off plenty of people.

#30 Posted by Quinlan58 (1894 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm agnostic, but I guess this question still applies to me.

As far as I know, there's no replicable evidence that ghosts exists, so I don't believe in them. Feel free to enlighten me if there is.

Avatar image for soothing_sounds
#31 Posted by Soothing_Sounds (2296 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: how are you agnostic? That really defines if the question applies to you or not. Im agnostic and believe in a creator(s), without any evidence. I Just Dont have full faith in any organized religion. This question wouldn't apply to me because I have faith in something with no evidence to back it.

#32 Edited by Quinlan58 (1894 posts) - - Show Bio

@soothing_sounds: I know agnosticism means a lot of different, often contradictory things to different people, but to me it just means to claim that the existance or non-existance of gods is outside the purview of science and human knowledge in general and thus no definitive claim can ever be made. What you described to me sounds like plain ol' theism rather than agnosticism.

Avatar image for soothing_sounds
#33 Posted by Soothing_Sounds (2296 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Edited by SpareHeadOne (6889 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I was atheist.

#35 Posted by RabumAlal (5360 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I was a ghost.

#36 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6889 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by dshipp17 (5658 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm agnostic, but I guess this question still applies to me.

As far as I know, there's no replicable evidence that ghosts exists, so I don't believe in them. Feel free to enlighten me if there is.

There is evidence of demonic spirits that I know of; you just have to use commonsense keywords to find it.

@soothing_sounds: I know agnosticism means a lot of different, often contradictory things to different people, but to me it just means to claim that the existance or non-existance of gods is outside the purview of science and human knowledge in general and thus no definitive claim can ever be made. What you described to me sounds like plain ol' theism rather than agnosticism.

Please stop making blanket pronunciations; what you say here about the existence of God is just simply not true, at all.

#38 Posted by BruceRogers (17677 posts) - - Show Bio

Um, are Atheism and a belief in the supernatural supposed to be mutually exclusive?

#39 Edited by Doofasa (2229 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't necessarily believe in them or against them. It's possible that they are a yet understood scientific phenomenon such as parallel universe crossover, something to do with life energy residue, or a system of the human brain that occasionally detects stimuli of usually imperceptible frequencies. It could also just be purely temporary dysfunction of the human brain such as psychosis.

#40 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa said:

I don't necessarily believe in them or against them. It's possible that they are a yet understood scientific phenomenon such as parallel universe crossover, something to do with life energy residue, or a system of the human brain that occasionally detects stimuli of usually imperceptible frequencies. It could also just be purely temporary dysfunction of the human brain such as psychosis.

Good man! Even in all my occult practices I can't deduce what the heck is happening but I know it's something.

#41 Posted by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#42 Edited by Richubs (6544 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#43 Edited by LeeM724 (710 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah

#44 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (9502 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#45 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6889 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans:

Do you wear a green hat and sport a shillelagh when you are astral traveling? If so I might have seen you in the great deep.

#47 Edited by King-Ragnar (4649 posts) - - Show Bio

No sane person would believe in Ghosts, let alone people would don't believe something until they see tangible evidence for it.

#48 Posted by AlexTheBoss (18888 posts) - - Show Bio

No, there has never been real evidence of ghosts. Some cases of people seeing ghosts have been faked for attention, while other people believed they saw ghosts due to seeing or hearing something that they couldn’t understand, but that most likely could be explained by natural means.

#49 Posted by WorldofRuin6 (3974 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's possible, but there is no concrete proof:

No Caption Provided

Off topic: Aliens are way more believable than ghosts. There's no reason to believe that life only developed on Earth.

#50 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans:

Do you wear a green hat and sport a shillelagh when you are astral traveling? If so I might have seen you in the great deep.

Nah I'm the one in the trench coat & fedora.