• 67 results
lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Christian Existentialist

No way, man. You are supposed to pick one of those four cuz that's the way it is.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sc said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Well that is why it is important to base our views and whatnot around evidence. I mean I go by the evidence of what we currently know and understand (on a scientific basis). The claim may well be possible just like the thousands of other unsound. Which is why it is both more reasonable and productive to base what we think and understand around our current knowledge and evidence. And speaking for myself now really regarding the topic of the thread regarding as to weather or not a god exists (I am talking about the infamous deistic, can't prove disprove kind of god) Based on my current knowledge and understanding I don't believe in god and as I have said before in the religion thread the general concept of god is a made up one, something we have fabricated. So what we know and understand can and does change. But claims of a god is in the same area as the many other empty claims. I think though the reason the "god one" is debated so much is due to the number of people that believe in said claim, we talked about this a while back on the religion thread. And that if Santa Claus was in the "god seat" we would be approaching that the same way.

Ha ha. See I thought I may not have made that much sense with that analogy. But then if someone like a solipsists made a similar claim that our world is not the real one. Would they not have to define and prove what the real world actually is? True about not knowing. I am agnostic about aliens and other life out there based on my current knowledge and understanding ( you haven't got back to me on that thread too, but I am not sure if you have forgot or if you will later or if you won't whichever one :) was just a reminder in case you were going to but forgot)

Ha it is. And glad I did make sense ha.

Yes I agree - yet that is also why science approaches things from a position of evidence and falsification, as opposed to proof and absolutes. I find thats a funny reason some seem to not like science either, because it can change, isn't absolutely certain, so on. Oh yes I remember the comparison to Santa Clause, and if Santa could exist outside time and space heh heh. Ultra Santa. Santa with a capital G.

Yes solipsist also have to deal with definitions but they don't actually have to prove much, since they aren't the ones making any claims that need to be proven. Well, arguably they have to prove they exist, and that reality exists, but the ability to question, affirm, deny, so on arguable provides another basis for anyone to demonstrate that they exist and if they exist some type of reality exists. We could consider that two axioms. They also exist in each other. I exist because I know I exist, and all reality is my existence. An actual solipsist can somewhat justify that and wouldn't have to try that hard to prove that there are external things because they would consider the burden of proof on us trying to demonstrate things contrary to their beliefs, but everything we could reason and give as evidence could be said by the solipsist as being of their own creation. Very potentially frustrating. Sort of like trying to reason a mentally unwell person better when they probably better off with medication, time and rest and therapy. Oh! I my apologies, I will get to that thread - aliens eventually - I do not like the current notification system because its really easy to lose track off notifications because they couple it with peoples reviews, blogs and just yeah -_- , wish we had the old system. Sorry again.

Oh nods nods but I am near bed now too so not sure if I make sense either heh heh - Oh and see that is a great point with aliens and agnosticism. Good knowledge is demonstrable, things can be hard and impractical when people use terms like know, and believe too loosely. Also disclaimers can be good, like I am a skeptic so if someone was to say that they think they believe they saw Bigfoot, but they aren't sure, I would be more curious and open to their reasoning. Would still be skeptical of their claim but curious. Yet if someone told me they are certain that they know Bigfoot definitely exists because they know they saw him, all my alarm bells would go off, because that would be way too much emphasis and consequently would seem like overcompensation and thus exaggeration to attempt to validate the claim by virtue of the eyewitness perceived certainty, and that lack of admission of doubt would be something to be skeptical of too.

Ha ha yeah. I think people like to be certain of things. But then we can and are certain of things. It is if the evidence changes though that can and does change our certainty.

It just really sounds a somewhat immature position. Really just because you may not be able to disprove a certain claim they make, I think one has to ask if it is worth trying to disprove as well. Maybe just realize that they are making clearly unfalsifiable claims. It is frustrating but also quite childish too ha.

I see. That is okay. I just wanted to remind you as all :) I look forward to you getting back to me :) thanks. Yeah I am not too keen on it either. The wall post system is infuriating too. Since you can't actually see a persons post on your own wall instead you have to go onto that persons wall, so basically you can only see your own wall post on your own wall >_>

Heh, well you have made perfect sense so far. :) Yes that is true. It would be the same thing with ghosts but most of the claims people make who have seen them have being debunked so I usually roll my eyes with that after hearing them explain it. Bigfoot claims don't seem to be as numerous guess because ghosts are ghosts and involved with the "paranormal" whilst Bigfoot is not. I don't believe in Bigfoot either ha.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By Darling_Luna

Agnostic Theist

I go to church, so idk how agnostic ? I support scientific fact. I support other peoples beliefs unless they are douchebag internet intellects that have nothing better to talk about then how right they are if you were really smart you be out there doing something, proving something, not sitting here killing time between posts googling bikini pics

Welp this my last post regarding theology/ non theology or and anything like that.

I have a life to get to

*sits in a corner and tries to put square peg in round hole*

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well....

Does Chinese shamanism fit into one of those categories lol?

Or am I a pagan who is going to burned at the stake T.T

battledomez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well....

Does Chinese shamanism fit into one of those categories lol?

Or am I a pagan who is going to burned at the stake T.T

not sure if the cartoon is correct

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Vertigo-

I'm an agnostic athiest.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Gnosticism something totally different?

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gay

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atheist.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 the_stegman  Moderator

Still Deist.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually just say agnostic theist, but I don't really adhere to any specific religion and think it's honestly kind of arrogant for anyone to assume they have all the answers, religious or otherwise. I believe there are things in the universe beyond what modern science can explain, including the potential for a god-like creator, but at the end of the day I don't worship anything because if there were a god I can't imagine it would actually care about my tiny, insignificant life in any way.

So I guess I'd be a Nihilistic Deist? I'm not fond of labels to be honest.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The definitions in the OP are not quite right. If you think about it, some of them dont make sense. A better set of definitions is:

Theism/Atheism: Whether you believe, or dont believe, that a god or gods exist.

Gnosticism/Agnosticism: Whether you think that humans can or cant have knowledge about the existence of a god or gods.

In other words, they refer to different things. Theism/atheism is about beliefs. Whether you have a belief or you dont have a belief in gods. Gnosticism/agnosticism is about knowledge, whether you think that we can or cant have knowledge about gods.

On agnosticism:

According to the philosopher William L. Rowe, "agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist".[2] Agnosticism is a doctrine or set of tenets[4] rather than a religion.

Personally I'm a gnostic atheist. I have no belief in gods, and I do think we can have knowledge about whether they do or dont exist. Current evidence all suggests they dont exist.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@pooty said:

I am 100% confident a Creator exist. And I am 100% sure that 99% of what I have heard about him is 100% false.

I love this!

P00TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giliad_: I don't remember writing that. But I know I wrote it because I was about to say THE EXACT SAME THING again!!!

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I am an agnostic atheist because I don't have a belief in gods but I don't think that we can be 100% sure about anything.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@echostarlord117:

Glad you pointed out that Gnosticism is also a form of mysticism.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spareheadone: Yeah, I'm pretty sure Gnosticism is some crazy, ancient offshoot of Christianity.