• 127 results
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

Edited By Silkcuts

I noticed that there have been a lot of "Ask" whoever threads out.  So why not start one myself?  What is the point to knowledge if its not shared, right?  I mean this in full honesty, I learn from others and I hope that others learn from me.  You can ask me anything and I'll try to be as honest as possible.

Cheers
 - Kevin "Silkcuts" Gorospe

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Magian

How did you come up with your username?

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Silkcuts
@ComicMan24 said:
" How did you come up with your username? "
Very good question.  It comes from my love for Hellblazer (John Constantine).  John Constantine is a character Alan Moore (Who is also my favorite writer) created.  John Constantine's cigs of choice is "Silkcuts".  I also got my creative juices going and this my sounds stupid, but it became an acronym for me.
S - Simply
I - Irrisistible
L - Lovable
K - Kevin (Kevin being my real first name)

C - Charming 
U - Under
T - The 
S - Situation 

A part of the reason I love John Constantine is that he showed me " Synchronicity" and I feel my life has been that.  A great example is this question, it is an example of Synchronicity at its  finest.  I am introducing this thread and you helped to truly introduce "Kevin" to Comicvine.

I hope that answer is satisfactory.
Cheers
 - Kevin
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Magian
@Silkcuts: Nice. I wish I was that imaginative when I created my username.
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Magian

Favorite  comic book universe? Vertigo?

J1ml33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By J1ml33

who is your favorite supervillian from an alan moore graphic novel 
and who is your favorite hell-blazer artist and why ?

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silkcuts
@ComicMan24 said:
" @Silkcuts: Nice. I wish I was that imaginative when I created my username. "

@ComicMan24 said:
" Favorite  comic book universe? Vertigo? "

That depends.  Some people will argue Vertigo is still in the DCU, so its the same, just Vertigo is on the Fringe.  Vertigo has a special place in my heart, but universes are not what is important to me.  Its the story.  I prefer DCU over Marvel U if that means anything thing?

@J1ml33 said:
" who is your favorite supervillian from an alan moore graphic novel  and who is your favorite hell-blazer artist and why ? "

Two good questions:
  •  With Alan Moore that is hard to pick.  For arguments sake I'll say Rorschach.  Ozzy I see as the real hero in the story.  Alan Moore created him after Alexander the Great and Ramesses II.  Both men are inspirations of what a Person can achieve.
  • Favorite cover artist for Hellblazer Glenn Fabry, interiors tie between Sean Phillips and Leonardo Manco.
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Magian
@Silkcuts: I prefer DCU too.
J1ml33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By J1ml33

and what do you think about the few good crime comics and horror comics out on the market today compared to back in the 80s and 90s  ,do you think that they should be more popular and reliant more over than superheroes ? and do you think people even care about anthology series of horror or crime in general ?

and do you listen to music while reading a graphic novel ?( and what type of music to you listen to ..)

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Silkcuts
@ComicMan24 said:
" @Silkcuts: I prefer DCU too. "
DC has used to be Story Driven when I got into them, while Marvel was Character Driven.  Because stories are important to me that was the winning factor when it came to the Big Two.  I enjoy Wildstorm over Marvel as well because of it, writers like Ellis strengthened their skills by not being as bogged down by "Events" and cross-overs.  

@J1ml33 said:
" and what do you think about the few good crime comics and horror comics out on the market today compared to back in the 80s and 90s  ,do you think that they should be more popular and reliant more over than superheroes ? and do you think people even care about anthology series of horror or crime in general ?  and do you listen to music while reading a graphic novel ?( and what type of music to you listen to ..) "

There is a lot of great crime and Horror comics.  Horror alone is getting huge again with writers like Steve Niles' success with 30 days of Night.  Crime is stronger then its ever been.  Many of my favorite writers cut a good crime story.  The advantage of crime stories is that they have a grit that most comics lack.  It is easier for a writer to be more honest with how the world works with Crime stories.  A writer like Brian Azzarello can make me admire Lex Luthor because he humanizes him.  A crime story can also be great with super-heroes such as Sleeper, it depends on the writer if he can tell a tale like that.

The problem with North American readers is that they are not as adventurous.  Most people stick to "safe" popular titles such as X-Men and Superman.  They also stick to the longer ongoing of those characters.  Anthologies are finite and the quality is not guaranteed between stories, so many readers never take the chance.  I love Anthologies, they give you a wide variety of things: From different writers, artist and at times themes.  Anthologies also are less of a commitment, meaning I can pick it up anytime and reread any story in any order.  Alan Moore once mentioned that he learned to write tighter stories because of anthologies.  Having the limited space makes a writer a tighter writer.  I wish people cared more about Anthologies, Vertigo's flinch for example, it may still be around.

As for Music, I can listen to music when writing.  It helps with that muse.  But while reading, no.  I think it is a conflict of ideas.  The comic is expressing something and the music (if good) will be trying to express something as well.  My taste in music is all over the place.  My all-time favorite artist is Prince, close second MJ and then Third is Jack White of the White Stripes and many other bands.  There are other people I love: Billy Talent, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus, Metric, Wu-Tang Clan before ODB died, Notorious BIG, Nirvana, Robin Thicke, Neptunes, Kanye West, Jackson 5, Janet Jackson, a lot of local people from Toronto.  I have also played Alan Moore's spoken word stuff while writing on the computer.  

If listening to music works for you, do it.  Everyone is wired differently.  Maybe I should try to read a comic with a "soundtrack" again.  I think reading Blackest Night to some Death Metal might be a fun idea.

Cheers to both of you!
- Silkcuts
Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Chaos Prime

U know smoking kills?? :-)

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Magian

Which comic book crossover is your favorite?

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Silkcuts
@Chaos Prime said:
" U know smoking kills?? :-) "
I don't smoke which is kind of ironic.  I know the name is from a cigarette brand, but it is obscure to most people that I didn't really think I was promoting smoking.  So here is my PSA

SMOKING KILLS! Smoking is bad for you.  John Constantine can con the Devil to save him from Cancer, you cannot! Smoking may look cool, but its not.  Smoking Kills.  Thank you. 

That was fun, I feel better about my screen name now :D
Cheers!

@ComicMan24 said:
" Which comic book crossover is your favorite? "

It would still be Crisis on Infinite Earths. Its impact is still felt today both industry and in the story.  Geoff Johns would of had Infinite Crisis without it, and the whole DCU was great after Infinite Crisis.  Other reasons is that all the books tied in their way, because the DCU was changing there were stories that could only be told at that time.  Then you have a write like Alan Moore who was forced to do a tie-in, but it is so strong on its own that we forget it was from Crisis on Infinite Earth.  
How about you?
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Magian
@Silkcuts: Perhaps Blackest Night.
Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chaos Prime

Lol nice reply Silkcuts :-)

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Silkcuts
@ComicMan24 said:
" @Silkcuts: Perhaps Blackest Night. "
Sinestro War/ Blackest Night would be my 2nd and 3rd fave.  Being an Alan Moore fan it is nice to see that Johns took throw away ideas from the few Green Lantern stories he wrote and expanded in such a wonderful way.  My problem with it was Batman in issue 5 was kind of pointless. I purchased the Variant because I loved the cover, but Batman didn't really enhance the story.  I dropped Brightest Day after Zero because Blackest Night didn't end as strongly as I would of liked.  I hear the series is picking up, but at the time I saw it as a money grabber.
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Magian
@Silkcuts: It still has a lot of issues left. I believe things will speed up soon.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Silkcuts
@ComicMan24 said:
" @Silkcuts: It still has a lot of issues left. I believe things will speed up soon. "
With the reviews I've been reading from my fellow viners, the series seems to be kicking up a notch.  The best part of not reading it monthly I can focus on other things to read.  So instead of reading a "Living" Deadman I can read older books for review. I stumbled upon the Neal Adam issues, so I may review those soon.
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Magian
@Silkcuts: Do you do a lot of reviews?
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Silkcuts
@ComicMan24 said:
" @Silkcuts: Do you do a lot of reviews? "
That would be a yes.  I currently sit 4th in most reviews written on comicvine.  I try to keep my reviews spread out, I've reviewed indie books to popular books, balance I believes makes a better enjoyment of comics.  Feel free to check any out, there is over 250 of them so if you want suggests or a cheat-sheet of ones I personally enjoyed you can click ( HERE).  If there is also anything you want to suggest I review, feel free to request it here.

Cheers
 - Silkcuts
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Magian
@Silkcuts: Impressive. I will check some of them a bit later.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Silkcuts
@ComicMan24 said:
" @Silkcuts: Impressive. I will check some of them a bit later. "
Thank you kindly sir.  No Problem, like I said this thread is an open door.  Ask away or even request something for me to review if you like.
Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Chesapeake

What is your favorite X-book?

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Silkcuts
@Chesapeake said:
" What is your favorite X-book? "
Series/Arc that would be a toss-up between Peter Milligan and Mike Allred's X-Force/X-Statix or Grant Morrison's X-Men.  As for teams go, the X-Men have my heart.  Wolverine I still attach to the X-Men even though he is like in all the X books, and because of that Canadian tie, X-Men again wins.  

How about you?
Daydream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Daydream

How many Irish Canadians have you met and not liked?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Gambit1024

What's your favorite color?

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Silkcuts
@Daydream said:

"  How many Irish Canadians have you met and not liked? "

Trick Question ;) In Canada we are all Canadians.  But Irish heritage, I actually like maybe 99% of all I met.  Best guys to drink with.  There maybe one out of the bunch that turned me off as a person.  But he is a jerk, so I don't hold that to the Irish. 

How about you?

@Gambit1024 said:

" What's your favorite color? "

Red. It is a power color ;)

You?
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By geraldthesloth

Favorite writer?

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Silkcuts
@geraldthesloth said:
" Favorite writer? "
All-Time Alan Moore, currently active Grant Morrison.  

How about you?
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By geraldthesloth
@Silkcuts said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" Favorite writer? "
All-Time Alan Moore, currently active Grant Morrison.    How about you? "
Same as yours actually :) followed by Greg Pak.
mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30  Edited By mimschkin

I must say this thread has been rather eye-opening. I have to admit I never, umm, appreciated your presence, due to the fact that I'm such an avid anti-smoker. Seriously, the first time I saw one of your reviews I thought you must be a spam bot promoting Silkcuts. Now I know better, so I'd like to say, I'm sorry I doubted you Silkcuts, let us never fight again ;)

So my question is: how do you have the time to do so many reviews?

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Silkcuts
@geraldthesloth said:
" @Silkcuts said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" Favorite writer? "
Same as yours actually :) followed by Greg Pak. "
That's cool!  Greg Pak, eh? Marvel like owns that guys soul. 
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Amegashita

Three questions for me.  

Favorite Artist?  Mine is Alex Ross just to make it even. 

Which stories as of this year, are you currently following and enjoying?  Green Arrow for me. 

Are you a fan of all these legacy characters that DC are coming out with?  Personally, I'm not.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By geraldthesloth
@Silkcuts said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @Silkcuts said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" Favorite writer? "
That's cool!  Greg Pak, eh? Marvel like owns that guys soul.  "
Yeah, somewhat lol. I love that he makes characters I hate likeable.

but companies seem to have that with almost everyone. Like Greg Rucka being DC's slave lol.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Silkcuts
@mimschkin said:

" I must say this thread has been rather eye-opening. I have to admit I never, umm, appreciated your presence, due to the fact that I'm such an avid anti-smoker. Seriously, the first time I saw one of your reviews I thought you must be a spam bot promoting Silkcuts. Now I know better, so I'd like to say, I'm sorry I doubted you Silkcuts, let us never fight again ;)   So my question is: how do you have the time to do so many reviews? "

All is forgiven. I can understand the confusion with the name, I didn't think of that when I came up with it.  So I guess its really my fault for picking it.  I don't regret it since the name has become so important to me.

With time, honestly I have a lot right now.  Work is slow and I guess I can retain memory of the books well enough after reading some of them after a while, I can still come up with something to say.  Also when I do get busy I make time, like Thursday mornings I try to do a few monthlies.  I can't write a script to save my life, my art is even uglier, so reviews is the closest thing I have to the medium I love so much.  If there is time when Lighting strikes then, I drop what I am doing.  Most recently with my Batwoman Review.  As much reviews I write, I wish I wrote more.  I really need to get back to some indie books....

Another PSA! Smoking turns your Lungs BLACK!

Cheers
 - Silkcuts
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By InnerVenom123

There's a monkey in my closet. 

What should I do?

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Silkcuts
@Amegashita said:
"

Three questions for me.  

Favorite Artist?  Mine is Alex Ross just to make it even. 

Which stories as of this year, are you currently following and enjoying?  Green Arrow for me. 

Are you a fan of all these legacy characters that DC are coming out with?  Personally, I'm not.

"
First answer: J.H. Williams III is fave artist. He has never let me down.
2nd: Hellblazer of course, most of the other Vertigo series, I was reading Blackest Night, dropped Brightest day after Zero, Batman (Grant Morrison and company are on fire), Flash and Zatanna.
3rd: To be honest I forget what that is about, I saw the ads, never looked into it.

@geraldthesloth said:
" @Silkcuts said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @Silkcuts said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" Favorite writer? "
That's cool!  Greg Pak, eh? Marvel like owns that guys soul.  "
Yeah, somewhat lol. I love that he makes characters I hate likeable.  but companies seem to have that with almost everyone. Like Greg Rucka being DC's slave lol. "

Rucka... I miss him.  Why did you leave Batwoman Mr, Rucka?  WHY????  Pak does that to ya eh?  I hate the Hulk, maybe I should check out his run.  I liked his War Machine.  But I am bias, I love Manco's art.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Silkcuts
@InnerVenom123 said:
"

There's a monkey in my closet. 

What should I do?

"
Set up a trap with spikes and place a banana in the middle of the trap.  Problem solved ;)
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Amegashita

@Silkcuts said:

"
3rd: To be honest I forget what that is about, I saw the ads, never looked into it.

It just one of those things that I've noticed awhile ago, I made a blog post about it.  Basically, from what I'm seeing, DC is adamant on slowly making most of their characters, specifically the ones they've never actually made, only gained, into a legacy.  They had Freddy Freeman take up the Captain Marvel mantle.  They had Renee Montoya take up Vic's mantle, and they gave Ted Kords title to Jaime Reeves.   

It just seems strange don't you think? 

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Silkcuts
@Amegashita said:
"

@Silkcuts said:

"

It just one of those things that I've noticed awhile ago, I made a blog post about it.  Basically, from what I'm seeing, DC is adamant on slowly making most of their characters, specifically the ones they've never actually made, only gained, into a legacy.  They had Freddy Freeman take up the Captain Marvel mantle.  They had Renee Montoya take up Vic's mantle, and they gave Ted Kords title to Jaime Reeves.   

It just seems strange don't you think? 

"
I get what you mean, I saw that blog and forgot to respond, sorry. Isn't Legacy a mini or something?  That is what confused me. Yeah, with these Legacy characters... It looks like DC is playing with less known characters to see how it effects the fans.  A lot of comic readers now are younger and ignorant of the past history.  So changing mantles is good right now for DC.  I personally like the older guys more, but a new reader will get lost trying to understand the older character.  So new character with old Mantle, means easier access to new readers.  It sucks, but most of those guys fans have been shrinking over the years.  I don't think a guy like Billy was bring in as much new fans as DC wanted.

Then on the reverse hand, GL is back to Hal #1, Flash back to Barry.  So some of the legacy character are going even purer.
Daydream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Daydream
@Silkcuts:  
 Oh you're Canadian too. Where do you hail from?
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Silkcuts
@Daydream said:
" @Silkcuts:   Oh you're Canadian too. Where do you hail from? "
Mississauga, Ontario is where I sleep at night.  Spend most of my outside time in Toronto.  How about you?
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Amegashita
@Silkcuts:  Yeah, but somethiing that seems weird is just that I don't ever really see DC just slowly moving forward with the times.  I see something more of another crisis happening that would restart the whole universe, and we'd start back at the beginning.  Another thing is that most of the legacy characters they make are characters with great potential but are neglected.   

In that blog, I noted that they made the mantle of Green Arrow a legacy by killiing off Ollie and replacing him with Connor Hawke, and where did that lead us?   

Well, Connor wasn't popular and they brought Ollie back.  Its just seems like making all these legacy characters are just prime examples of intellectual laziness.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Silkcuts
@Amegashita said:
" @Silkcuts:  Yeah, but somethiing that seems weird is just that I don't ever really see DC just slowly moving forward with the times.  I see something more of another crisis happening that would restart the whole universe, and we'd start back at the beginning.  Another thing is that most of the legacy characters they make are characters with great potential but are neglected.      In that blog, I noted that they made the mantle of Green Arrow a legacy by killiing off Ollie and replacing him with Connor Hawke, and where did that lead us?      Well, Connor wasn't popular and they brought Ollie back.  Its just seems like making all these legacy characters are just prime examples of intellectual laziness. "
Great points.  Comics don't feel natural anymore.  I like the comment "Intellectual Laziness", but could it be a poor gamble instead?
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Amegashita
@Silkcuts:  It's a poor gamble when they do it once, it's intellectual laziness when you introduce a character in volume 2 of a series with an established main character and then kill off that character and introduce another one in his mantle and expect people to just be happy with it.   

And on a side note, they killed off Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, and now they're back.  Just more proof of how the whole DCU doesn't feel as natural as I wish it could be.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Silkcuts
@Amegashita said:
" @Silkcuts:  It's a poor gamble when they do it once, it's intellectual laziness when you introduce a character in volume 2 of a series with an established main character and then kill off that character and introduce another one in his mantle and expect people to just be happy with it.      And on a side note, they killed off Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, and now they're back.  Just more proof of how the whole DCU doesn't feel as natural as I wish it could be. "
I hear your arguments and agree.  I like Wally over Barry, Manapul's art is the reason I care about the current ongoing.  Kyle is my Lantern, Hal is just big because Johns did a great job with the mythos. 
Daydream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Daydream
@Silkcuts: Lol nice, Mississauga is where I live as well...Used to live in Toronto a few years ago.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Silkcuts
@Daydream said:
" @Silkcuts: Lol nice, Mississauga is where I live as well...Used to live in Toronto a few years ago. "
That is awesome.  I was born in Toronto and one day will return there permanently, so that is why I rep Toronto on the Vine.
I don't live to far from SQ.1, where in Sauga are you at?
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Amegashita
@Silkcuts:  Lol, I kind of figured you would.  You just give off that intellectual vibe.  Even through a computer. Lol.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Silkcuts
@Amegashita said:
" @Silkcuts:  Lol, I kind of figured you would.  You just give off that intellectual vibe.  Even through a computer. Lol. "
that is a kind thing to say.  Beep, Beep, Beep, FZZZ, ZZZ, BEEP.  okay that was corny.
Daydream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Daydream
@Silkcuts:  
Do you know where the Credit Woodlands is...? I go to UTM anyways.