Are women in media THAT bad?

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In a previous thread, there was a mention of a Kickstarter that explored how badly female characters are portrayed in Video Games.

So a question for the female users of Comic Vine:

How would you change a popular female figure in the entertainment industry?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bigger boobies are a must.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Ostyo
comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Make em thick. Not too skinny, not too fat. Just right.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Faora solos.

Avatar image for callous_adherent
Callous_Adherent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind the fan service if it went both ways. Maybe I wanna oogle some lean boyish hottie's pecs.

>_>

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like more female characters in comic books that aren't fanservicey like Kamala Khan.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wolverine008
Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind the fan service if it went both ways. Maybe I wanna oogle some lean boyish hottie's pecs.

>_>

I suppose it has been a few years since we've had an Orlando Bloom.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Erik

>_>

I was just going to make that very suggestion.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger said:

@callous_adherent said:

>_>

Do you like Loki: Agents of Asgard? :P Probably the first American comic I've read with fanservice aimed at a female audience.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger said:

In a previous thread, there was a mention of a Kickstarter that explored how badly female characters are portrayed in Video Games.

So a question for the female users of Comic Vine:

How would you change a popular female figure in the entertainment industry?

I wouldn't , real women should learn to be less ugly

Callous_Adherent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Callous_Adherent

@tyger said:

@callous_adherent said:

>_>

Do you like Loki: Agents of Asgard? :P Probably the first American comic I've read with fanservice aimed at a female audience.

I'll be in my bedroom for a few minutes...

laidblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda, yeah.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger said:

@callous_adherent said:

>_>

Would it be wrong of me to wonder if sometimes Loki isn't really 'bad', he just wants Thor to turn him over his knee and spank him?

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Next question, please!

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright:

What could DC do to make the perfect comic book for a female audience? (Or Marvel, if the above comments don't already make that clear.)

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Deadite

Just look at Gal Gadot and her little resemblance to a real Wonder Woman. The public's outcry isn't enough to shift the industry's direction, it seems.

But I don't think it's that bad in general. Cases like Gal Gadot gets me mad though.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By judasnixon

@deadite said:

Just look at Gal Gadot and her little resemblance to a real Wonder Woman. The public's outcry isn't enough to shift the industry's direction, it seems.

But I don't think it's that bad in general. Cases like Gal Gadot gets me mad though.

I haven't seen Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman yet.... I won't judge her till I see her, because I remember all those screams about how they casted that no name "fag" from Brokeback Mountain as the Joker........

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm sure there some really bad ones out there today, but I don't know who they are, because I don't watch that $#!%......

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

>_>

okay what mainstream comic book hero male doesn't have pecks?

JonnytheWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lumberjanes?

Callous_Adherent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha someone's been reading my posts. Ha ha. (Just made me all giddy inside that you were referring to me. well I am assuming so anyway)

That series by the way is a very bias, ignorant and misguiding piece done by a very ignorant and bias person. I wouldn't take any serious notice. Just saying. :)

Glad I was able to help spark a discussion (again if it was me who's post you read, if not props to who ever's post you did read).

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Superguy1591

So women are into fan-service, huh?

Callous_Adherent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keenko said:

@callous_adherent said:

>_>

okay what mainstream comic book hero male doesn't have pecks?

That's not fan service like this is

Mmmm...Pretty boys...
Mmmm...Pretty boys...

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Kickstarter is made by Anita Sarkeesian, the biggest and most infamous radical feminist in gaming history. Seriously guys, women aren't portrayed that badly, atleast not as badly as Anita Sarkeesian is making it out to be.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Kickstarter is made by Anita Sarkeesian, the biggest and most infamous radical feminist in gaming history. Seriously guys, women aren't portrayed that badly, atleast not as badly as Anita Sarkeesian is making it out to be.

Yeah, I kinda got the vibe that she went with the tropes = bad POV, and doesn't seem to have any kind of view as to how she DOES want females portrayed, which led to my first question.

I also keep reading her last name as 'Snarkenstein' for some reason.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No Caption Provided

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger said:

@dianaxkal said:

Alright:

What could DC do to make the perfect comic book for a female audience? (Or Marvel, if the above comments don't already make that clear.)

Explosions, deaths, fights I know it already has these but adding more would be perfect for any gender

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

More leading roles, less sexualization. More racial, sexual, and gender diversity, too. Major female characters are straight white and cisgender a lot of the time.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#37  Edited By SC  Moderator

I am not female, I am male, but I'd like to answer the question because its interesting, if thats okay?

Rogue. Change her to be a little bit more abrasive, sassy and confident. Thing with this change is that it would actually be changing her to a prior state. Rogue was generally much more adored and popular with males, but relatively a lot more females, in the 80's and 90's when she was this cocky, sassy, Southern bell brawler who could and would go toe toe with other teams powerhouses. She was the flying powerhouse of the team, which is rare for a female character and she was balanced out by being a bit too overconfident and her own psychology. Then various creative changes, some partially made because of the movies, made her a neurotic, anxious, mopey, emo, which could still be interesting possibly but not nearly as unique or dynamic as her past portrayal. She ended up as the girlfriend character with stories revolving around Gambit, instead of being a strong sassy tough *&%^&^. So I would change that. Rogue is actually a lot stronger psychologically now though as well and a leader so would have to strike a balance. Why I neglected changing her powers otherwise would be too OP.

As for the other question, Marvel or DC can't make the perfect comic for a female, just like it can't make the perfect comic for a male or a black person, or tall people, or short people. People can have similarities but also be really really different as well. In fact that can lead to problems, when you have a team of seven individuals with one of them being the girl and expecting the girl will be the one females like and the one that will appeal to females. Nah, females aren't a hive mind creature, they are going to like different things, same way guys have different preferences and tastes. There are of course some creative ideas that can help attract a diverse amount of people, and some general stereotypes that are somewhat accurate to a degree that could assist attracting females specifically, like most humans tend to like being able to relate to characters, and also have characters they can project into - power fantasies. So more representation would help. X-Men has one of the biggest female fan bases around because it had characters like Storm, Phoenix, Emma Frost, Psylocke, Rogue, Kitty, Jubilee, X-23. Very diverse powers and personality types. That was in the 80's and 90's (most of those characters) other teams slowly caught up much later on but even then they still have to deal with males are generally bigger deal, so there is a bit of risk (as far as utilizing popular characters versus promoting diversity) - some innocent fan service could help and no not just having good looking dudes with muscles, its the context. See Nightwing, Gambit and Loki for fairly good examples. Another generalization is that males like visual queues and stimuli where as females prefer having their imagination and creativity catered to, so having action scenes, sure, but having strong character development and creative, poetic, writing techniques utilized could help, allegories, metaphors, so on.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

I am not female, I am male, but I'd like to answer the question because its interesting, if thats okay?

Alot people think your a girl though :p

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Faora solos.

Don't get me started.

Bigger boobies are a must.

Take it you have never played Bayonetta before , haven't you :P

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I STANDARDS BY MY ORIGINAL POST!

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#41 SC  Moderator

@laflux: Heh heh I know, I think someone the other day followed me and another female user because we were mentioned as candidates for the hottest female viner at CV. I won't mention who, but I think they are going to be disappointed when they find out I am not Ms Sexy Comic Fan Girl 19. Oh well.

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sc: seems that people should ask m or f before they troll for a$$ online. lol

Callous_Adherent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@callous_adherent: Is that not what most of Final Fantasy's male characters are for?

Shhh it's the Callous Adherent's pretty boy hour.

*Drools*.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Only ones like Barbara Streisand.