Are comics a dying art?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By pixelized

People over at Newsweek magazine are loosing their jobs daily because no one is reading the magazing like they did before. Comics have survived for however many years, but how much life do they really have left in them? and what would the future of comics be? Skipping the comic portion and just making the movie? idk...I fear most all printed media will be obsolete in our near future
Post Edited:2008-04-02 19:51:20

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By pixelized

But in a world where we dont necessarily need to read to gain information, whats the point in comics you know? like People Magazine is printed...but I can see the same things in People that are featured on E! News and i dont have to pay anything extra...you see what i'm saying?

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Eternal Chaos

pixelized says:

"People over at Newsweek magazing are loosing their jobs daily because no one is reading the magazing like they did before. Comics have survived for however many years, but how much life do they really have left in them? and what would the future of comics be? Skipping the comic portion and just making the movie? idk...I fear most all printed media will be obsolete in our near future"

The keyword in your entire statement is in the end. "PRINTED". I believe that comics won't be printed eventually, they'll be put on your computer or sold in diskettes or something to that effect.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

i would really like to see a day when we can read current comics online anytime we want but i would be really upset over loosing the collecting aspect of it

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pixelized

in my opinion i'd say no, i think they have dropped dramtically in popularity and with the exception of a couple die hard fans havnt really picked up too many new readers....

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shaper

Aren't Comics becoming more popularer now?

NEW VENOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By NEW VENOM

Shaper says:

"Aren't Comics becoming more popularer now?"
yeah i think
LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LexiCat

I couldn't agree more with what was stated previously in this post. Currently, Marvel.com allows subscribers to pay a small monthly fee and read unlimited titles online. I see this as the future of the comic book medium. There will always be stories to tell and there will always be a new generation waiting to discover the wonders of the Marvel and DC worlds. If the publishers went direct to the net with the comics, this introduces such vast possiblities. Possible online stores, where readers can share or exchange E-Comics with fellow readers.

I really would be more than willing to pay a small fee monthly or even a yearly subscription to either Marvel or DC or perhaps both, so long as I knew that my comics would be there waiting for me to log into my account for me to Download them and enjoy them.

T.J. Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By T.J. Magnum

nah i don't think its dying.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pixelized

LexiCat says:

"I couldn't agree more with what was stated previously in this post. Currently, Marvel.com allows subscribers to pay a small monthly fee and read unlimited titles online. I see this as the future of the comic book medium. There will always be stories to tell and there will always be a new generation waiting to discover the wonders of the Marvel and DC worlds. If the publishers went direct to the net with the comics, this introduces such vast possiblities. Possible online stores, where readers can share or exchange E-Comics with fellow readers.
I really would be more than willing to pay a small fee monthly or even a yearly subscription to either Marvel or DC or perhaps both, so long as I knew that my comics would be there waiting for me to log into my account for me to Download them and enjoy them. "

But then there are Pirates...those who will download it off of things like limewire....Idk, i'm a bit torn at the moment with the current status of printed media.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gottheit

Only when Alan Moore dies, will it truly be in danger.

LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LexiCat

pixelized says:

"LexiCat says:
"I couldn't agree more with what was stated previously in this post. Currently, Marvel.com allows subscribers to pay a small monthly fee and read unlimited titles online. I see this as the future of the comic book medium. There will always be stories to tell and there will always be a new generation waiting to discover the wonders of the Marvel and DC worlds. If the publishers went direct to the net with the comics, this introduces such vast possiblities. Possible online stores, where readers can share or exchange E-Comics with fellow readers.
I really would be more than willing to pay a small fee monthly or even a yearly subscription to either Marvel or DC or perhaps both, so long as I knew that my comics would be there waiting for me to log into my account for me to Download them and enjoy them. "
But then there are Pirates...those who will download it off of things like limewire....Idk, i'm a bit torn at the moment with the current status of printed media."

Look, there's just no way to stop pirating.. There isn't. Which is why I suggested the Comic Publishers allow free trade and exchange of the books. If you "buy" a subscription, that should allow you to do what you want with the books you download.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pixelized

Agreed...like when you buy the hard copy and you let your friends read it....that said, i think if things do make that gradual shift towards online i think there will be less people buying the comics [only the die hards] and more downloading.....idk...

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pixelized

Look at music sales....artist 5 years ago would sell somewhere in the 3 millions, now they pray for 1 million [maybe the music sucks, maybe its all the downloading, or maybe its a combonation of both]

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eternal Chaos

LexiCat says:

"pixelized says:
"LexiCat says:
But then there are Pirates...those who will download it off of things like limewire....Idk, i'm a bit torn at the moment with the current status of printed media."
Look, there's just no way to stop pirating.. There isn't. Which is why I suggested the Comic Publishers allow free trade and exchange of the books. If you "buy" a subscription, that should allow you to do what you want with the books you download. "

We must be on a weird psychic wavelength because I was going to say the exact same thing.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Nighthunter

pixelized says:

"People over at Newsweek magazine are loosing their jobs daily because no one is reading the magazing like they did before. Comics have survived for however many years, but how much life do they really have left in them? and what would the future of comics be? Skipping the comic portion and just making the movie? idk...I fear most all printed media will be obsolete in our near future
Post Edited:2008-04-02 19:51:20"

Actually I think is the other way around.....

Some shows and movies based on comics are great, some of them are even based on real stories made in comics.

If the comic let's say Batman has great quality it will bring people to a show that features him. It also works the other way around....

I'll use me as an example, I didn't read comics at first but I saw the Justice League and Teen Titans shows.

In one of them when Starfire goes to the future she meets a grown up Robin that has become Nightwing. I liked Nightwing in the show and got curious if that had really happened in comics.

Using wikipedia I learned that there were four robins (I thought there was only one) I learned how Dick Grayson became Nightwing, how Jason Todd died and was revived, how Tim Drake became the new Robin, etc.

But one thing is to read it in wikipedia and another thing is to actually read the comics, so I tried them...and it really got into me, now I'm a big fan of comics.

With near movies like Batman and Ironman I'm guessing more people will want to read their comics but that's just a guess.

The comic characters are becoming more popular, that's why there are so many games, shows and movies based on them.

So if you ask me the media isn't killing the comics, I think they are helping each other in some way

LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LexiCat

Eternal Chaos says:

"LexiCat says:
"pixelized says:
"LexiCat says:
Look, there's just no way to stop pirating.. There isn't. Which is why I suggested the Comic Publishers allow free trade and exchange of the books. If you "buy" a subscription, that should allow you to do what you want with the books you download. "
We must be on a weird psychic wavelength because I was going to say the exact same thing."

laughing softly and smiling

Hey, that'd be okay with me. Great minds think alike, afterall!

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IcePrince_X

I believe that comic book popularity has waned already, in where I am staying during the 90s we have like 25 comic books store but now we have only 3 and its carrying a few titles. But I do not see it dying, it may live out of paper and into a different medium, like the computer.

As long as there is art, literature and human skills married to imagination, the story telling in pictures and words will continue...

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WARLOCK2792

danhimself says:

"i would really like to see a day when we can read current comics online anytime we want but i would be really upset over loosing the collecting aspect of it"
To HELL with that! LOL As technology increases, and things become more and more digital, my trading cards/comics will become pricey. Collecting will never really die. But when technological collecting becomes more popular, so will my comics/cards. I'm lookin for the money. I already have two "stop motion" cards. Maybe they'll be worth somethin. LOL
Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Nighthunter

pixelized says:

"I never said anything about the media killing comic"

pixelized says:

"But in a world where we dont necessarily need to read to gain information, whats the point in comics you know? like People Magazine is printed...but I can see the same things in People that are featured on E! News and i dont have to pay anything extra...you see what i'm saying?"

thought you meant that

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WARLOCK2792

IcePrince_X says:

"I believe that comic book popularity has waned already, in where I am staying during the 90s we have like 25 comic books store but now we have only 3 and its carrying a few titles. But I do not see it dying, it may live out of paper and into a different medium, like the computer. As long as there is art, literature and human skills married to imagination, the story telling in pictures and words will continue... "

2 words. 1 letter. Books, A, Million.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Eternal Chaos

LexiCat says:

"*laughing softly and smiling*
Hey, that'd be okay with me. Great minds think alike, afterall!"

Sincere smile of amuzement creeps on his face. You've obviously proven to be a great mind several times before, so you'll hear no complaints from me.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Vampire

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pixelized

I never said anything about the media killing comics, and i agree with most of what your saying. But i think that most people will be content with just seeing the movie...you know? Die hard iron man fans may want to run out and read all they can about him, but the general public may just look at the movie and leave it where it is when the movie is over. There was no surge in X-men comic sales after its movie came out...same with fantastic four...idk...i personally dont see comics making it another 40 years....they'll be straight to tv. lol

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IcePrince_X

White Mage says:

"IcePrince_X says:
"I believe that comic book popularity has waned already, in where I am staying during the 90s we have like 25 comic books store but now we have only 3 and its carrying a few titles. But I do not see it dying, it may live out of paper and into a different medium, like the computer. As long as there is art, literature and human skills married to imagination, the story telling in pictures and words will continue... "

2 words. 1 letter. Books, A, Million.

"

you missed the point.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pixelized

Nighthunter says:

"pixelized says:
"I never said anything about the media killing comic"
pixelized says:
"But in a world where we dont necessarily need to read to gain information, whats the point in comics you know? like People Magazine is printed...but I can see the same things in People that are featured on E! News and i dont have to pay anything extra...you see what i'm saying?"
thought you meant that"

Oh...i see...i dont think they're necessarily killing them, they're just making it harder for them to compete you know?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pixelized

IcePrince_X says:

"White Mage says:
"IcePrince_X says:
2 words. 1 letter. Books, A, Million. "
you missed the point."

LMAO

Contessa Frost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Contessa Frost

Cosmo girl just folded and will cease publications

no fears for the comicbook world?
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Comics are very flimsy but not dying.It's not like Video Games used to be where if one company dissolves you could always go somewhere else and there would always still be enough companies to make games...With comics though....

Marvel and DC is all we have really.Wildstorm,Vertigo,MAX,Dynamite,Image,Udon etc aren't even on the same planet.If Marvel and DC go down..you can only imagine how poorly everyone else would be doing.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Static Shock

Comics, like Rap music, will not die but only get worse to some.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pixelized

but generally everyone in the printed media world has had to lay off people because sales are down....i'm just wondering if like anyone feels comics may suffer the same fate

but then again, i'm sure movies like Hulk and Iron Man help to replenish  a bit.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
pixelized said:
"but generally everyone in the printed media world has had to lay off people because sales are down....i'm just wondering if like anyone feels comics may suffer the same fate

but then again, i'm sure movies like Hulk and Iron Man help to replenish  a bit.
"
Marvel doesn't really have to lay anyone off because alot of their artists and writers are freelance and don't actually work for them.
Mr. Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mr. Ubiquitous

it's technically a GENRE

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
Mr. Ubiquitous said:
"it's technically a GENRE"
~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By ~The Wanderer~

My thoughts exactly, Vance :p

Mr. Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mr. Ubiquitous

well, it IS...now, put down the haterade people, and step away from the bottle...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
Mr. Ubiquitous said:
"well, it IS...now, put down the haterade people, and step away from the bottle..."
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Static Shock
Mr. Ubiquitous said:
"well, it IS...now, put down the haterade people, and step away from the bottle..."

Mr. Ignoramus is back. LOL. Anyway, nobody's hating. We just don't understand what you're saying.
HobGadling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HobGadling

Printed single issues are nowhere near the popularity they enjoyed when I was growing up.  Movies and comics in the graphic novel format are infinitely more successful.  So, no.  It's hard to say whether or not they're more popular or not, but the industry isn't going anywhere.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
Static Shock said:
"Mr. Ubiquitous said:

Mr. Ignoramus is back. LOL. Anyway, nobody's hating. We just don't understand what you're saying."
LOL
Mr. Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mr. Ubiquitous

Static Shock said:

"Mr. Ubiquitous said:

Mr. Ignoramus is back. LOL. Anyway, nobody's hating. We just don't understand what you're saying."

**Sniff** ............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the sweet smell of love