Are all cultures equal

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stupid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are all cultures equal (72 votes)

Yes 18%
No 82%

One of the myths that is being hammered down to everyone recently; is the assertion that despite certain cultures advancements or other cultures achievements; is that they are all equal & should be given the same respect

I recently saw this (probably should give the NSFW tag)

So when people of another culture move into another country with a different culture - should they adapt to suit the surrogate culture or should they be allowed to keep their own

Warning - this is not a bait thread, so keep it civil

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

We're supposed to treat some cultures as equal, even though there are other cultures out there are bad to the naked eye. But really, cultures are not equal and never meant to be. Some are just plain bad and not good for the others. Some cultures maybe....but all? No way.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Define cultures.

Stupid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Stupid1

Define cultures.

noun

The ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No. I mean some countries/cultures you get the death penalty for same-sex relations.

ryubh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, some cultures are borderline barbaric.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheDandyMan

I think anyone who says all cultures are equal may not understand what we mean by culture. Culture isn't just about relatively trivial things like pizza vs English breakfast, it's also about what's socially acceptable and having a culture where treating woman as second class citizens is socially acceptable for example is not as morally good as a culture that treats them equally to men.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends to what degree you support moral relativity

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Some cultures perpetuate racisim, sexism or terrorism which are all obviously terrible ideals.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all equally have the right to practice our beliefs and customs to their full extent in private.

We do not, however, have the right to impose them, as well as the inconveniences that go with them, on others.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, they are not all equal, and they are not all equally beneficial towards the well-being of humans and other intelligent creatures.

grappolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched the video in the OP.

LOL. Someone took a dump on the floor.

Soaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're supposed to treat all cultures as equal. But that's not how many societies choose to regard other, perhaps, unfamiliar cultures.

I am not trying to invoke hostility here

But I am interested in your choice of words - as in why do you think we are supposed to

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand how cultures would be equal. That's kind of ridiculous to me. We can't just say everything is equal. People and cultures are different. There is no equality scale and it depends on your personal perspective, values and thoughts on many things which would determine if you would accept or like a culture.

In North Korea, they worship a man and wouldn't dare question him. In America and the west, people worship celebrities. In many places in the middle east and elsewhere, homosexuality is condemned and punishable by death. Meanwhile in the west, it's generally accepted or tolerated and celebrated by the media. FGM is practiced by some people, while it is condemned and illegal in other places. Some cultures are casual about sex and some are the very opposite. Are these examples equal? No.

And respect should be based on an individual and whether they decide to give a culture respect or not.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.....of course not

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein said:

No, they are not all equal, and they are not all equally beneficial towards the well-being of humans and other intelligent creatures.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a794b61068b8
deactivated-5a794b61068b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

All cultures are pretty terrible to be honest, but some are clearly better than others.

casper4690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep

The_Batmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on your perception of morality

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Nope, some cultural values are incompatible with Western society.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HighAccuser

God no, look at the contemptous assholes in various countries

m-treacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Equality" of culture is really difficult to assess. However, in my opinion, cultures that allow the most personal freedoms, and emphasize the most personal responsibility are probably the most advanced (some might say "good").

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

No. I mean some countries/cultures you get the death penalty for same-sex relations.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"Equality" of culture is really difficult to assess. However, in my opinion, cultures that allow the most personal freedoms, and emphasize the most personal responsibility are probably the most advanced (some might say "good").

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Some cultures are, but saying that all cultures are equal is an absolute joke.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theoretically, yes. Practically, no. Op seems to have linked the wrong video though.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm just gonna steer clear of this one

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Everyone deserves the same rights and respect. Their (the hypothetical "person or people of culture" in question) rights end when they attempt to infringe on somebody else's rights or in general interfere with somebody else's rights. You may conduct any cultural practices you like as long as you keep it to yourself and don't drag in any third parties.

Don't go to another country and break their laws; respect works both ways. You go to another land understanding that you do not carry your country's laws with you.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

There's a difference between affording respect and special treatment. Everyone deserves respect. Respect does not mean they are automatically afforded special treatment though. That said, as long as they aren't hurting anyone else or trying to force their culture upon others I don't see a problem in allowing cultural practices from other countries to continue within a new country.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as respect goes, for me, it depends on the culture, or certain aspect(s) of said culture. For example...

• I like Japanese culture, but I don't respect harakiri.
  • I don't have an issue with followers of Islam. It's not a culture, I know, but it has cultural significance with many people from the Middle East. However, I don't respect the way that they treat their women.

As for whether or not all cultures are equal, I'd say that they all deserve equal respect, in that they shouldn't be appropriated. That's about it.

Stupid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for whether or not all cultures are equal, I'd say that they all deserve equal respect, in that they shouldn't be appropriated. That's about it.

Can you elaborate on this

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Static Shock

Some examples.

• Years back, Andre 3000 and a number of female dancers had a show in which he performed his Hey Ya song. All of them were wearing Native American attire.
  • Katy Perry had a performance in which she was wearing a kimono.
  • The Svastika symbol was originally a symbol of sacredness and auspiciousness in Hinduism and Buddhism. The Nazi Party took that symbol, turned it 45 degrees and used it to represent something completely different.
  • Currently, Black Americans are wearing African attire, clothing with African-inspired prints and/or sporting tribal marks that represent tribes that they don't belong to. Such attire has cultural, historical and religious connotations, yet they are worn by Black Americans to look trendy or fashionable, when those things were never meant for that purpose. It bothers me a little because, even though I was born here in America, I'm of Nigerian descent and I know exactly where I come from. Even then, the version of African attire being worn by them usually isn't authentic, which makes it even worse. Plus, Black America complains whenever their own culture is appropriated by White people.

Cultural appropriation, when things that have cultural significance are taken from one culture and used by people outside of the culture without paying respect or appreciation to where they got it or who they got it from, using it is a misrepresentation, and/or using it without understanding the cultural significance of what they are taking.

Stupid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some examples.

• Years back, Andre 3000 and a number of female dancers had a show in which he performed his Hey Ya song. All of them were wearing Native American attire.
  • Katy Perry had a performance in which she was wearing a kimono.
  • The Svastika symbol was originally a symbol of sacredness and auspiciousness in Hinduism and Buddhism. The Nazi Party took that symbol, turned it 45 degrees and used it to represent something completely different.
  • Currently, Black Americans are wearing African attire, clothing with African-inspired prints and/or sporting tribal marks that represent tribes that they don't belong to. Such attire has cultural, historical and religious connotations, yet they are worn by Black Americans to look trendy or fashionable, when those things were never meant for that purpose. It bothers me a little because, even though I was born here in the America, I'm of Nigerian descent and I know exactly where I come from. Even then, the version of African attire being worn by them usually isn't authentic, which makes it even worse. Plus, Black America complains whenever their own culture is appropriated by White people.

Cultural appropriation, when things that have cultural significance are taken from one culture and used by people outside of the culture without paying respect or appreciation to where they got it or who they got it from, using it is a misrepresentation, and/or using it without understanding the cultural significance of what they are taking.

I think you may be going a little overboard here - until there are laws passed; people have the right to free expression

Agree with you on the 'ura' Swastika; it carries a stigma now even when presented as the 'omote' direction

Finally this might sound like an insult - but I assure you it isn't meant as

even though I was born here in the America, I'm of Nigerian descent and I know exactly where I come from

Yeah - America

It's something I don't understand; I've met loads of people from the states who will try and say they are part Irish or 1/16th cherokee etc - If you were born and live there - that is where you are from

I have a friend who was born in England, to an English mother, lives in England & swears till he's blue in the face that he's Scottish as that's where his dads family is from

For some reason people don't take pride in where they live

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stupid1 said:

I think you may be going a little overboard here - until there are laws passed; people have the right to free expression

You're right. People do have the right to free expression. But, I don't have to be okay with people freely expressing themselves while disrespecting other cultures at the same time, even if there aren't any laws against it.

@stupid1 said:

Yeah - America

It's something I don't understand; I've met loads of people from the states who will try and say they are part Irish or 1/16th cherokee etc - If you were born and live there - that is where you are from

I have a friend who was born in England, to an English mother, lives in England & swears till he's blue in the face that he's Scottish as that's where his dads family is from

It's not about where I was born. It's about knowing your roots. I'm also not part-Nigerian or 1/16 Nigerian. Both of my parents are from Nigeria, making me 100% Nigerian. Just because I was born here doesn't mean that I should abandon the heritage and culture of my ancestral homeland. There are millions of people who have immigrated here, who carry their culture and heritage with them. Should they throw it out the window because they live in America now? Should their children do the same all because they are born here? Absolutely not.

If your friend truly has Scottish on his dad's side, then he's got every right to claim that side. I don't think anyone outside of his family can decide that for him.

Stupid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stupid1 said:

You're right. People do have the right to free expression. But, I don't have to be okay with people freely expressing themselves while disrespecting other cultures at the same time, even if there aren't any laws against it.

@stupid1 said:

Yeah - America

It's not about where I was born. It's about knowing your roots. I'm also not part-Nigerian or 1/16 Nigerian. Both of my parents are from Nigeria, making me 100% Nigerian. Just because I was born here doesn't mean that I should abandon the heritage and culture of my ancestral homeland. There are millions of people who have immigrated here, who carry their culture and heritage with them. Should they throw it out the window because they live in America now? Should their children do the same all because they are born here? Absolutely not.

If your friend truly has Scottish on his dad's side, then he's got every right to claim that side. I don't think anyone outside of his family can decide that for him.

This is where we disagree friend

If you were born and live in America - then you are American; no-ones trying to take away your heritage, but if you have grown up in the States surrounded by American culture; then the chances are; you are probably more American than you'd like to admit. I'm not saying abandon your parents cultural history as obviously it is important to you, but at the same time you are part of another culture as well

My friends grip on being Scottish is tenuous at best - I don't think he's ever been there, but listening to his fake accent when he's drunk is priceless

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Static Shock

@stupid1: Well, being born here does make me American. But, because of where my parents are from, I simply choose to claim my Nigerian heritage and culture. Like your friend, that's up to me to decide, no one else.

Either way, I still have a problem with people appropriating my culture.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Cultures are a collections of ideas. Not all ideas are equal, but most should be respected. The tricky part with this is deciding how we decide which ideas/customs/traditions should not be respected and justifying what right we have to judge each others culture.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@stupid1: Well, being born here does make me American. But, because of where my parents are from, I simply choose to claim my Nigerian heritage and culture. Like your friend, that's up to me to decide, no one else.

Either way, I still have a problem with people appropriating my culture.

Why though? Appropriation is how cultures eventually assimilate into one another. Saying "this concept can only be used by these people" or "this idea can only mean this specific thing" causes more division than unity. America is supposed to be a melting pot, not an organized cabinet.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#46 JediXMan  Moderator
@stupid1 said:

I think this is an important distinction. People have the right to free expression, and likewise, people have the right to judge said self expression. Doing something under the veil of culture or individuality does not make you exempt from criticism. There shouldn't be a law preventing either side of that. The law shouldn't intervene unless one person ends up infringing on the rights of somebody else.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

Why though? Appropriation is how cultures eventually assimilate into one another. Saying "this concept can only be used by these people" or "this idea can only mean this specific thing" causes more division than unity. America is supposed to be a melting pot, not an organized cabinet.

When the Nazi Party took the Swastika and used it for a different meaning, where was the unity? They tried to kill off an entire group of people because of their religious practices.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of cultures assimilating into one another like you're suggesting. I don't like people wearing African attire that represents certain values and rites of ascension as a fashion statement or to be trendy. That's not what it was made for. There are clothes made specifically for that purpose, so why take something and use it for that purpose when it wasn't meant for it? Anyone can wear what they want, but I'd rather people be respectful of what such attire means or represents. If people aren't willing to do so, then I don't think they should wear it. Also, I don't like people wearing tribal marks (via face paint, since they aren't willing to get the actual scars) when they aren't even a part that specific tribe (which are usually applied during infancy). I'm not going to wear something that has cultural meaning to specific group of people, so there's no way that I'm going to be okay with others doing otherwise unless they are using it for its intended purpose.

America being a melting pot is a outdated multicultural idea. Nowadays, America is referred to as a salad bowl, in which different cultures and ethnic groups coexist and maintain juxtaposition without assimilating into each other. NYC is a perfect example of my point. Same with Los Angeles, too. People should be able to maintain and embrace cultural identity, and at the same time, respect it. It's part of what makes people different from each other.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

This is a stupid thread, OP is stupid¹.

decaf_wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Some cultures perpetuate racisim, sexism or terrorism which are all obviously terrible ideals.

This.

Some cultures are extrememly toxic, antiquated and incompatible with western society