• 185 results
#1 Edited by albusan (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

Some atheists say that their non-belief comes through superior intelligence. Often pointing out the lower intellegence of those who mantain a believe in religion. The question is why or why not this is a true point.

DIscuss.

#2 Posted by MakkyD (6989 posts) - - Show Bio

“Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.”

- Eoin Colfer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”

Daniel J. Boorstin

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin

I can easily find more if you want.

#3 Posted by albusan (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

“Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.”

- Eoin Colfer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”

Daniel J. Boorstin

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin

I can easily find more if you want.

I want more now!

#4 Edited by Wolverine008 (51027 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#5 Posted by MysticMedivh (32250 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh boy...

#6 Posted by Nefarious (35649 posts) - - Show Bio

The Jimmies will rustle.

#7 Edited by albusan (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Are you trying to make a point about Albert Einstein's role in the creation of the atomic bomb as a Jewish man?

#8 Posted by RetconCrisis (5593 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be back to fan the flames...

No jimmies shall be spared

#9 Edited by DivineDamon (8219 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Atheists aren't smarter. But most of the times they are condescending pricks.

It had to be said. As an atheist myself, I just hate it when people say stuff like "God is your imaginary friend" or stuff like that. Makes me want to puke.

#10 Posted by SilverPool (4562 posts) - - Show Bio

Let them rustle....

Avatar image for transformers1024
#11 Edited by Transformers1024 (7600 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of the smartest men and women I have ever met in my life happen be Christians. That said, some of the smartest men and women I've ever met were atheists.

Religion has nothing to do with intelligence. It's about how far your willing to let yourself go.

**I should also note that I've met some VERY stupid Believers and Athisets before someone takes what I say out of context.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
#12 Posted by consolemaster001 (6934 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
#13 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (19685 posts) - - Show Bio

Well some people are like that regardless of weather they are an atheist or not.

There are at least just as many religious people who think they are morally superior because of their religion. Or that being an atheist deprives one of wonder on the universe, or that we are somehow more miserable than people who follow religion. Id say that being an atheist gets alot more negative backlash than being religious.

#14 Posted by Juke (855 posts) - - Show Bio

sigh

#15 Posted by Claymore1998 (16541 posts) - - Show Bio

That's an inaccurate gross generalization.

Faith and intelligence are not and have never been interchangeable or determinant of each other.

#16 Edited by Pharoh_Atem (44284 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Well some people are like that regardless of weather they are an atheist or not.

There are at least just as many religious people who think they are morally superior because of their religion. Or that being an atheist deprives one of wonder on the universe, or that we are somehow more miserable than people who follow religion. Id say that being an atheist gets alot more negative backlash than being religious.

Indeed.

It's people that suck, not their beliefs system. Though, from experience, I've gotten more backlash from religious folks than atheist.....<_<

For the OP; no, some of the smartest men to walk the world have been religious and vise-versa.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
#17 Posted by GreatCaesarsGhost (3952 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#18 Posted by albusan (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

Not on Comicvine, believers get far more negative backlash and this is the real world.

#19 Edited by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpion2501 said:

No. Atheists aren't smarter. But most of the times they are condescending pricks.

It had to be said. As an atheist myself, I just hate it when people say stuff like "God is your imaginary friend" or stuff like that. Makes me want to puke.

While no doubt some atheists are condescending pricks, it's really insulting to then claim that "most of the times" they are so. I mean, that's something a real condescending prick would say. You might want to rethink this before you start a flame war.

#20 Edited by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

How asinine.

Beata

#21 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

@albusan said:

Not on Comicvine, believers get far more negative backlash and this is the real world.

This might be true, but CV is not representative of the world. Throughout history, and including today, not believing in the local religion has meant that you were persecuted, forced to convert, driven out, or killed. Again... this is happening at the moment all over the world.

#22 Posted by Dernman (26048 posts) - - Show Bio

Indeed.

It's people that suck, not their beliefs system.

Though, from experience, I've gotten more backlash from religious folks than atheist.

For the OP; no, some of the smartest men to walk the world have been religious and vise-versa.

People experiences differ. As someone who refuses to be labeled either I've found the opposite to be true.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
#23 Posted by consolemaster001 (6934 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by Jonez_ (11445 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure there are genuine statistics proving that atheists have generally higher IQs. \^_^/

But in all seriousness- nahh. Saying one person is smarter than another person is an incredibly bold and broad statement. There are millions of ways to be smart.

In fact, theists stomp atheists in some areas of knowledge. Such as theology. Though it can be the other way around in some areas too.

All in all, not the smartest man or the dumbest man is anywhere near having the means required to prove or disprove God. So we're all pretty much on an equal playing field.

-Jonez

#25 Posted by albusan (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

@albusan said:

This might be true, but CV is not representative of the world. Throughout history, and including today, not believing in the local religion has meant that you were persecuted, forced to convert, driven out, or killed. Again... this is happening at the moment all over the world.

It probably happens to other believers (persecution) not atheist far more often. No one in America gives a sh!t for the most part about their neighbors going to church.

#26 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (19685 posts) - - Show Bio

@albusan said:

Are you trolling? This is one internet forum. Not really sure what you mean when you say this is the real world.

Most of the "negative backlash" I have seen on here isn't that at all it is criticizing religion. There is a difference between outright insulting someone and criticizing religion.

@scorpion2501 said:

While no doubt some atheists are condescending pricks, it's really insulting to then claim that "most of the times" they are so. I mean, that's something a real condescending prick would do. You might want to rethink this before you start a flame war.

That it is.

#27 Posted by Straight-Fire (27333 posts) - - Show Bio

I would never answer such a stupid question. I'm ghost.

#28 Edited by ChillxPill (1401 posts) - - Show Bio

Humans are smart.

Humans are stupid.

/Thread.

@Jedixman: @SC: @Saren:

Someone lock this.

#29 Edited by Pharoh_Atem (44284 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

Indeed.

It's people that suck, not their beliefs system.

Though, from experience, I've gotten more backlash from religious folks than atheist.

People experiences differ. As someone who refuses to be labeled either I've found the opposite to be true.

...okay?

#30 Posted by Gjgp27 (1499 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell no

#31 Posted by Aronmorales (9735 posts) - - Show Bio

So far this looks like it can be a safe place for everyone!

Oooooh Happy Day!

#32 Posted by Cable_Extreme (16791 posts) - - Show Bio

Atheist aren't smarter, just less gullible.

#33 Posted by Dernman (26048 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011: I don't understand the question mark. Was there something you needed clarified?

#34 Edited by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by albusan (2945 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for beaconofstrength
#36 Edited by BeaconofStrength (12489 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Edited by MakkyD (6989 posts) - - Show Bio

@albusan: I'm now beginning to regret bumping this thread...

No Caption Provided

#38 Edited by Pharoh_Atem (44284 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@dccomicsrule2011: I don't understand the question mark. Was there something you needed clarified?

Basically, I'm saying you didn't have to state the obvious.

LAL.

#39 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

nope, plenty of smart theologians, that's why the can peddle their crap around to appeal to so many people.

#40 Posted by albusan (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

@albusan said:

Are you trolling? This is one internet forum. Not really sure what you mean when you say this is the real world.

Most of the "negative backlash" I have seen on here isn't that at all it is criticizing religion. There is a difference between outright insulting someone and criticizing religion.

Hmm, internet forums are really important in these young kids minds.

Some people don't think religion is an idea but just as important as anything in their world and I do think people get a lot more personal then you're admitting with believers.

Either way if you're not like that then good for you and you answered the question.

#41 Posted by Dernman (26048 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

LAL.

How are my personal experiences any more obvious than yours? I was just sharing.......... :/

#42 Edited by Wolverine008 (51027 posts) - - Show Bio

TOO.MUCH.RUSTLING!

No Caption Provided

#43 Edited by Pharoh_Atem (44284 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@dernman said:

LAL.

How are my personal experiences any more obvious than yours? I was just sharing.......... :/

No, I was referring to the experience differ bit, I should have been a tad bit more clear. ^-^

#44 Edited by Dernman (26048 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@dernman said:
@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@dernman said:

LAL.

No, I was referring to the experience differ bit, I should have been a tad bit more clear. ^-^

I was using it as an opener. It felt odd wording the rest without it.

#45 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (19685 posts) - - Show Bio

@albusan said:

@albusan said:

Some people don't think religion is an idea but just as important as anything in their world and I do think people get a lot more personal then you're admitting with believers.

Either way if you're not like that then good for you and you answered the question.

...okay...

Well religion is a belief. Regardless of weather how personal it might be to people that doesn't mean it shouldn't excluded from criticism.

#46 Edited by Pharoh_Atem (44284 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@dernman said:
@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@dernman said:

LAL.

I was using it as an opener. It felt odd wording the rest without it.

Fair enough.

: )

#47 Posted by laflux (24733 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by albusan (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

@albusan said:

@albusan said:

...okay...

Well religion is a belief. Regardless of weather how personal it might be to people that doesn't mean it shouldn't excluded from criticism.

Are you trying to prove something by argueing with them about their religion?

#50 Edited by Nefarious (35649 posts) - - Show Bio