Anyone on Vine get a GED instead of finishing?

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thitiki

Just curious if anyone got a GED instead of finishing Highschool for one reason or another? What is the difference/drawbacks of getting a GED?

RD189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dropped out at the beginning of grade 12, cause I found school to be boring. The only jobs I could get were shitty min wage jobs or back breaking labourer jobs. By the time i decided to go back, I was 19 so i coulden't go to normal high school (Alberta Education is dumb like that).

Instead, I had to take 2 trains and a bus to go to "Chinook Learning Academy" which should really be called "The William Aberhart School of Criminal Reform and Drug Addiction", an absolutely miserable experience, which i promptly dropped out of again.

Finally, after five years of screwing around, I got my grades straight, went to SAIT and got my EMR ticket, and now i'll be making $250 a day for the most slack job on earth. But if I was smart and stayed in school, I could have gone to University, got my Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering degree, and i'd be making $250 an hour (or close to it on the oil sands).

Want my advice? Finish high school, get into a good university, study Law, Engineering or Medicine, work industrial jobs for 10-15 years and retire at 43.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@rd189: Are you by any chance from Calgary?

RD189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RD189
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Wolverine008

I don't even want to go to college.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189: Aberhart, actually. The SAIT bit helped, though. And Chinook is ungodly far from absolutely anywhere anyone would want to live, it's absolutely ridiculous.

RD189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RD189

@squares: It's funny, I call it the three lies school. It's not in Chinook, you don't Learn nothing, and it aint an Academy. I live a 30 minute drive from there, and it still takes an hour or more by transit.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea I know man. It doesn't help highschool is kicking my a$$. I was hoping a GED would answer some of the problems but seems not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189: Calgary transit is weird. Haven't lived there in a while, but from what I remember (and what friends who still live there have told me) it's kind of a mess in places.

RD189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thitiki: Dude, trust me. High School sucks ass. But if you push yourself now, and follow my previous advice, it will pay off in the end. Because you'll get a good job, make tons of bank, and be able to enjoy life.

@squares: It's just as bad, if not worse. The drivers are lazy and don't know where anything is, and if you wait longer then two seconds, they drive right by your stop.

Thewhiteronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thitiki: Back when I was in high school, counselors talked to the entire student body extensively about GEDs. Many prominent companies that have middle-income jobs hire high school and college graduates the most due to their ability to endure and put up with hard work for four years or four extra years if you're in college. Job applicants with a GED have a pretty low chance of being hired because by dropping out, you're giving the message to employers that you can't put up with hard work and you don't have experience in an academic environment so you don't develop good habits for working, and as such your competitors who HAVE graduated high school/attended college will have better opportunities than you.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewhiteronin: It does seem getting a diploma is a the way to go.

@rd189 said:

@thitiki: Dude, trust me. High School sucks ass. But if you push yourself now, and follow my previous advice, it will pay off in the end. Because you'll get a good job, make tons of bank, and be able to enjoy life.

Yea thank you I really appreciate your advice and all.

RD189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thitiki: Np dude, I like helping folks out!

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189: I'll be graduating late but in the end it seems like it's worth it.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: College has good looking females, solid education and academic courses, they throw bangers, and its usually the best years of your life, you got several years ahead of you so you're good.

holyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By holyk

@rd189 said:

you don't Learn nothing

Double negative in this case makes it a good thing.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eisenfauste: Heh, I'm just kind of hesitant to whether or not college will really benefit me in the long run. I'm 15, so I don't really have that long until I have to make up my mind

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Erik

@wolverine08 said:

I'll swing by and let you make me a sandwich after you get out of high school. :p

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

@wolverine08 said:

I'll swing by and let you make me a sandwich after you get out of high school. :p

Like hell I'll make you a sandwich....

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: It depends on what job you want, I agree some jobs out there really don't require college to get it, when you can self-teach yourself via the internet.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

@wolverine08 said:

I'll give you $100 tip. You know, because I'll be a doctor.

/smug

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolverine008

@erik said:

@wolverine08 said:

@erik said:

@wolverine08 said:

I'll give you $100 tip. You know, because I'll be a doctor.

/smug

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for noteworthington
Noteworthington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The distinction between a highschool diploma and a GED does not exist.

While in school, there are more resources, typically to prepare for college, but when it comes to employment, they are regarded as the same thing, which is the point of the GED.

In fact, many applications, both paper, and online, have a uniform check box along the lines of "HighSchool and/or GED." Some do not, but it's against the law to discriminate between the two.

The only drawbacks to a GED would be social stigma, and again if you plan on college, it is easier to get assistance and guidance while still enrolled in highschool.

Now as far as these oh-so-clever ComicVine comedians, there are innumerable jobs that do not require degrees, that through training and experience will allow you to make plenty of money if that is how you define quality of life, or success.

It's very sad to see people purport that a good job equals a good paying job, or that making sandwiches is a job for unintelligent or unskilled people.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Eisenfauste
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: It depends on what job you want, I agree some jobs out there really don't require college to get it, when you can self-teach yourself via the internet.

I don't know about that. Management jobs at McDonalds require a BS now. The world is a different place from when I was fresh out of high school.

King Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually finished High School early... the Job Market really isn't that great... there was a time when a 4 year degree had some value... but there are a lot of people walking around the United States with 4 Year Degrees working at Family Dollar and A-1 Temps. I mean it's sad out there... even with all this so called "Progress" we have had under President Obama.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually finished High School early... the Job Market really isn't that great... there was a time when a 4 year degree had some value... but there are a lot of people walking around the United States with 4 Year Degrees working at Family Dollar and A-1 Temps. I mean it's sad out there... even with all this so called "Progress" we have had under President Obama.

It's true. Great jobs require a masters or better now.

Avatar image for noteworthington
Noteworthington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is a "great job?"

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is a "great job?"

I suppose that depends on you. I think if you need two sources of income to support a family, you don't have a great job at all. But I know tons of hippies that love jobs that require they live with their parents.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

3 years later and we'll find out my answer.

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By marvel_boy2241

We'll see. But I'm probably not gonna drop out. I mean that just doesn't seem smart. And plus i want to be a doctor.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

Marry someone rich or sell yourself for sex.

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Finish school kids.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I had to drop out. So I got my GED about a year after dropping out (laziness mostly).

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Apprenticeship in the trades is a good alternative if school isn't your thing. Lots of great money to be made there.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pyrogram

I dropped out half way through A-Levels and I've got a job in the council. All works out.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

I dropped out half way through A-Levels and I've got a job in the council. All works out.

No Caption Provided

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers