User Lists: 0

gintama

Djibbo__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Oh well. Like I said the previous round was the final round for me, so Gintama 13

BOKURA WA BOKURA WA!

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gintama

@ovy7 said:

FMA cause I haven't seen Gintama.

I haven't either.

You can watch the clip by just clicking play on the video.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Gintama. Both are good but I like the Gintama song more. As much as I love FMAB, I never cared much for the opening credits’ songs.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Gintama

@abstractraze said:
@ovy7 said:

I haven't either.

That.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By AbstractRaze

@infantfinite128 said:

Gintama

@abstractraze said:
@ovy7 said:

I haven't either.

The thing is that intros are meant to present the series, what good is it, when you don't know the content?

Judging because of blunt appearances is a halve done thing, it's not sincere.

Well, this is how I see it, it's subjective, but I feel the same way.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257  Edited By infantfinite128

@abstractraze Good point, but I think they can be judged for what they are similar to comic book covers that don't represent the story but are still great to look for what they are.

I've never seen this show, but I think the Beastars intro was worthy of winning this tournament. Earlier in this thread, @waezi2 wrote a brief post about it.

Loading Video...

@waezi2 said:

Honestly, the Gintama op is just okay.

Beastars on the other hand... Holy shit!

The opening has a tango-like tune that makes you think of dancing as we see…

No Caption Provided

… a wolf that is shrouded in shadows and baring his fangs during a full-moon night. Wolfs are usually associated with the full-moon, and we think of a bloodthirsty predator. And sure enough, the beast drools, and we see why.

No Caption Provided

A rabbit is strolling around the woods, not knowing that it is about to become prey.

The fact that these two animals are wearing clothes like characters from a Beatrix Potter book does not make this scenery any less creepy. In fact, it kinda makes it worse.

No Caption Provided

When the rabbit is finally aware that it is about to be chased, the woods they are in is then shown as a deer, a stag to be precise. The stag (besides that it will be revealed that said stag has a connection to these two very different animals in the anime) is an in-between of a wolf and a rabbit since it is not a predators but it is still a strong animal and not prey the same way the rabbit is.

Then, the rabbit runs for it’s life as the hungry wolf chases it. When the rabbit trips and the wolf is about to attack…

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

… it becomes day. The two animals are now in sunlight, not covered in shadows, making the wolf look less intimidating. And they are no longer in a forest(a place where it is survival of the fittest) but are in a garden with something as not-nature-like as a fountain. Something organized and civilized.

No Caption Provided

The wolf and rabbit can now see each other in a new light(literally) as a young man and woman. Despite being natural enemies, civilization makes romance possible as we see the predator and prey engage in dancing and kissing.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

... Aaaaaand then we cut to nighttime, and we see the the wolf red-eyed and deeply disturbed. We also see blood tainting the stone-floor of the organized and civilized garden and the skull and fur of an unidentified animal next to said blood. A butterfly is stuck in the puddle of blood, just to hammer in the point.

So what do we get out of this intro without context? Well, I get out of it that civilization can change how creatures interact, but (as the ending implies) that it is hard to fight once nature, even if you try to dress it up nicely. Can clothes and good manners make a wolf less of a beast, or is civilization a temporarily fix?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abstractraze Good point, but I think they can be judged for what they are similar to comic book covers that don't represent the story but are still great to look for what they are.

I've never seen this show, but I think the Beastars intro was worthy of winning this tournament. Earlier in this thread, @waezi2 wrote a brief post about it.

Loading Video...
@waezi2 said:

Honestly, the Gintama op is just okay.

Beastars on the other hand... Holy shit!

The opening has a tango-like tune that makes you think of dancing as we see…

No Caption Provided

… a wolf that is shrouded in shadows and baring his fangs during a full-moon night. Wolfs are usually associated with the full-moon, and we think of a bloodthirsty predator. And sure enough, the beast drools, and we see why.

No Caption Provided

A rabbit is strolling around the woods, not knowing that it is about to become prey.

The fact that these two animals are wearing clothes like characters from a Beatrix Potter book does not make this scenery any less creepy. In fact, it kinda makes it worse.

No Caption Provided

When the rabbit is finally aware that it is about to be chased, the woods they are in is then shown as a deer, a stag to be precise. The stag (besides that it will be revealed that said stag has a connection to these two very different animals in the anime) is an in-between of a wolf and a rabbit since it is not a predators but it is still a strong animal and not prey the same way the rabbit is.

Then, the rabbit runs for it’s life as the hungry wolf chases it. When the rabbit trips and the wolf is about to attack…

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

… it becomes day. The two animals are now in sunlight, not covered in shadows, making the wolf look less intimidating. And they are no longer in a forest(a place where it is survival of the fittest) but are in a garden with something as not-nature-like as a fountain. Something organized and civilized.

No Caption Provided

The wolf and rabbit can now see each other in a new light(literally) as a young man and woman. Despite being natural enemies, civilization makes romance possible as we see the predator and prey engage in dancing and kissing.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

... Aaaaaand then we cut to nighttime, and we see the the wolf red-eyed and deeply disturbed. We also see blood tainting the stone-floor of the organized and civilized garden and the skull and fur of an unidentified animal next to said blood. A butterfly is stuck in the puddle of blood, just to hammer in the point.

So what do we get out of this intro without context? Well, I get out of it that civilization can change how creatures interact, but (as the ending implies) that it is hard to fight once nature, even if you try to dress it up nicely. Can clothes and good manners make a wolf less of a beast, or is civilization a temporarily fix?

First off, thanks for reminding me that Gintama won over Beastars so I can vote against it in order to get revenge!

Second, even though I think it should have won the contest, I get why people voted against it, it is not for everyone. Hell, the series itself is not for everyone:

in a world of humanoid animals, a llama teenager has been murdered and maimed in his school in such a way that there is no doubt that it was a carnivore who did it. This makes tension between herbivores and carnivores in the school worse than ever. The hero of the story is the awkward wolf Legosi who tries to figure out who murdered his friend while he also has to deal with the problems that comes with falling in love with the rabbit Haru (who btw is the school's "slut")that he once almost ate because of his instincts getting the better of him.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

FMA

COOLGUY18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gintama FTW.

Also, how did it win yesterday? LMAO.

assultstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gintama OP13

Amnesiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love both but FMA

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the Gintama OP works better because of what came before it.

FMA:B stands alone better, so I'll go with that.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice. Would you recommend watching the series?

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm. Acceptable outcome.

You should do one for anime endings too.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean Gintama. I liked the manga and liked it, so yes.

Hmm. Acceptable outcome.

You should do one for anime endings too.

Okay, give me a minute

COOLGUY18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeheey! My nomination won!!

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although many would go straight for "yes" I believe it's safer to let you know that you're going into a 360-ish episode long, 700-ish chapter-long series that does mostly comedy (despite what that OP shows) and every now and then there is a major, serious arc that happens with fantastic story, character development, and fights. Just that...everything in between those arcs are like, this type of humor.

Loading Video...

The comedy is funny and the wait is worth it, but only do Gintama if you want to.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2@faradaysloth Thanks! I put it on my watch list. I was not expecting it to be a comedy, but I'm glad it is. I could use a great comedy.

COOLGUY18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infantfinite128: If you watch gintama,eps 1-20 might be a bit boring, but if you get past it, the story gets more interesting dude.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers