Animated show superior compared to "adult" TV shows?

• 61 results
waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Are they?

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'd say some are superior to some adult shows, some aren't. For instance, I'd say IMO Archer is superior to Big Bang Theory. Funnier anyway.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By removekebab

Both have their merits, but one could make an argument that animation has a lot more range.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WollfMyth209

Some of them are, but not all of them. Some off the top of my head:

• Steven Universe
  • Gravity Falls
  • Regular Show
  • Adventure Time
  • Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy(not just for nostalgia, the show has deeper meaning on the whole when you look at it; though nostalgia plays a role)

Generally, kids shows nowadays seem to have a deeper meaning to them hiding under the veil of childish entertainment, which is amazing. It makes them both childish and adult.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh. I mean what are we considering "adult" TV shows? Stuff like Bad Girl Club? Sure, but if you mean programming like GoT, Madmen, or This is Us, of course not; that's silly.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both have their merits, but one could make an argument that animation has a lot more range.

Sure, animation has infinite range, but it rarely uses it. I mean honestly, American cartoons just got the hang of continual story progression and continuity.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Steven Universe
  • Gravity Falls
  • Regular Show
  • Adventure Time
  • Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy(not just for nostalgia, the show has deeper meaning on the whole when you look at it; though nostalgia plays a role)

Generally, kids shows nowadays seem to have a deeper meaning to them hiding under the veil of childish entertainment, which is amazing. It makes them both childish and adult.

FTFY

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@removekebab: Heretic! You are not even a true kebab remover!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@wollfmyth209 said:

• Steven Universe
  • Gravity Falls
  • Regular Show
  • Adventure Time

FTFY

I approve those edits

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar is the pinnacle of animation. Probably the best thing to ever come from America.... and even then it's not in the same league as things like Breaking Bad, West World or Game of THrones.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar is the pinnacle of animation. Probably the best thing to ever come from America.... and even then it's not in the same league as things like Breaking Bad, West World or Game of THrones.

Yeah, I can get behind this statement.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:

Yeah, I can get behind this statement.

Avatar isn't the pinnacle of animation.
Avatar isn't the pinnacle of animation.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok:

Perhaps not, but IMO it's better than what you just posted. Again, just my opinion.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While we're at it, The Sopranos is probaly the greatest television show ever made. I don't really see anything else surpassing it.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok:

Perhaps not, but IMO it's better than what you just posted. Again, just my opinion.

Loading Video...

Yeah, it's really not. also language warning.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok:

lol We shall have to agree to disagree :)

My opinion was formed after watching both, Just bask in how superior it is.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Steven Universe
  • Gravity Falls
  • Regular Show
  • Adventure Time

Exactly. I wouldn't believe for five seconds that all those references and deeper topics are meant for a completely kids show. Like the Steven Universe and all the relationship issue references

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say some are superior to some adult shows, some aren't. For instance, I'd say IMO Archer is superior to Big Bang Theory. Funnier anyway.

I haven't seen Archer yet. I better do that.

I never saw the appeal in GoT, I get the political drama, but beside that it seemed like it tried too hard to be edgie Lord of The Rings with people sleeping with their sister and stuff.

On Topic: It may just be me, but I think that animation has the strength to be simple yet complex at the same time while live action shows tries to hard, use to much time, goes in circles to make a point or a message.

My favorite example is the Adventure Time episode I Remember You that deals with what it is like to have family that has a mental decease like Alzheimer and how painful it is without trying to sugarcoat it... IN LESS THAN TEN MINUTES!

Loading Video...

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: It´s the 2nd time I see you mention Archer in the forums in like 2 days.

Now I like you more.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209 said:

• Steven Universe
  • Gravity Falls
  • Regular Show
  • Adventure Time

Exactly. I wouldn't believe for five seconds that all those references and deeper topics are meant for a completely kids show. Like the Steven Universe and all the relationship issue references

SU is rife with huge relationship stuff. And lesbian rocks.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: It´s the 2nd time I see you mention Archer in the forums in like 2 days.

Now I like you more.

Back atcha.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Steven Universe
  • Gravity Falls
  • Regular Show
  • Adventure Time

I approve this list although I have never watched the last one

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Good luck trying to compare any cartoon to something like The Wire without being laughed at.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2 said:
@wollfmyth209 said:

• Steven Universe
  • Gravity Falls
  • Regular Show
  • Adventure Time

I approve this list although I have never watched the last one

Oh, i's glorious. Really weird and GLORIOUS!

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Aight i'll check it out after i finish rewatching Kids Next Door

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard said:
@wollfmyth209 said:

• Steven Universe
  • Gravity Falls
  • Regular Show
  • Adventure Time

SU is rife with huge relationship stuff. And lesbian rocks.

Don't forget the bisexual rock

You a Steven Universe fan Nere?

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard: oh yeah lol.

and yes i am since 2016. I never envisioned getting into the show though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard: oh yeah lol.

and yes i am since 2016. I never envisioned getting into the show though.

Favorite Gem?

I like Peridot. She is a little too close to being a small female version of me

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard: my fav gem would be Lapis. I sorta identify with the deadpan indifference she has towards stuff in the later episodes. plus shes got a cool aesthetic and tragic backstory.

and I like peridot too lol.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some are, some aren't. I find that the Japanese do more with animation than the West.

One thing for sure that animation has over any adult TV show is action. Even now animated shows are still far and above when it comes to that category.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the shows really

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:
@saintwildcard said:

I never saw the appeal in GoT, I get the political drama, but beside that it seemed like it tried too hard to be edgie Lord of The Rings with people sleeping with their sister and stuff.

Steven Rapeyverse tries pretty hard to be edgy as well for a kids cartoon.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By waezi2
SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lesbian space rocks and the subject of rape is tackled on it. Rape on a kids show is an automatic edgy, the edgiest of edges.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: When did anyone rape anyone in the show? Are you talking about Pearl fusing with Garnet? That wasn't the issue, it was about abusing trust. She didn't force her into fusing with her, she tricked her into doing it. The closest thing we come to rape in SU is Jasper forcing a corrupted gemmonster fuse with her for a few seconds.

And being lesbians is really not that big a deal in the 2010s. There are kids books about it. Lesbians exist, it's a thing. Not telling your kids is just stupid. It's not like they have sex while the kiddos watch an episode. They are just open about the fact that they love each other. And so what? They just love each other like hundreds of other couples in animation before them.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SaintWildcard

You're taking my words too seriously, so I'm just gonna bounce now.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41 Lunacyde  Moderator

I can't choose. I love both animated and non-animated shows. Most American animation sucks, but Avatar: TLA and a number of anime's are at the top of my TV series list.

That said you're in a losing battle if you're trying to argue Avatar or FMA are better than Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: All those blogs would be wrong, like they are wrong about Zootopia making the predators the black people of the movie.

Rape is forcing yourself on someone else. That was not the case for Pearl and Garnet. Or else she wouldn't have forgiven her. She states that she felt used but she also understands Pearl's situation. And even if what you said is true, that it is considered rape today... Well... That doesn't mean that it is. If enough people says that 1+1=4 then it's still not the case. The point of the episode was that sometimes friends hurt each other and they don't make up in one episode. It takes time. Sometimes too much time.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lunacyde  Moderator

Who cares? Steven Universe is a garbage show.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

Who cares? Steven Universe is a garbage show.

Too true Senpai, too true.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lunacyde  Moderator

I can't wait to be the old guy who tells all the children how everything sucks today.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back in my day, the only space rock was The Thing. And we liked it that way

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Also, fusion is not always a sexual act. It's one of trust, and it's different for each fusion. Garnet's fusion is one of love, which is why it works much better than most fusions and why it can last for so long without Ruby and Sapphire having to split up. Pearl and Amethyst has a extremely strong fusion, but it takes a lot of effort and focus because they are close, but they keep irritating each other. And then there is Amethyst and Steven's new fusion; Smokey Quartz. That one is VERY well working because they are on somewhat equal ground. Steven feel close to his three caretakers in three different ways, but Amethyst is a somewhat older sister to him. Their bond is one of friendship, equality, understanding and trust.

Renn_Kelen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars The Clone Wars is one of the best shows ever made, comparable to many live action shows IMO

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Depends.

I'd say live action but that's because I'm not really into animation anymore.

Samurai Jack though....

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

• Steven Universe
  • Gravity Falls
  • Regular Show
  • Adventure Time

hahahahahahahaha, among actual adult these are considered some of the worst shows.