Animals Being Killed On Food Packaging? Sound Good?

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll Animals Being Killed On Food Packaging? Sound Good? (46 votes)

Yes 30%
No 70%

Let's say you buy a packet of chicken breast. On the packaging of that chicken breast, it must be legally show the death of the chicken inside the packet. So every time you buy meat, you see a photograph of the exact animal you are eating and the exact way it died. This can be a cow hanging from a rack with blood gushing from it's neck, a chicken with it's neck snapped, a pig being gassed to death, and so on.

Does that sound good? Or should we not see how our food is made?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

But why?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Most people already know an animal is brutally murdered order to make choice cuts. It would only traumatize children and disgust people (who would not stop buying meat anyway).

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Most people already know an animal is brutally murdered order to make choice cuts. It would only traumatize children and disgust people (who would not stop buying meat anyway).

I see.

So seeing how meat is prepared: traumatising.

Eating the same meat for lunch: okay.

I find that quite confusing. If it's not good enough for your eyes, then why is it good enough for your mouth?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amendment50: Heh.

Loading Video...

If this vegan is made out of glass, Ron Swanson is made out of dust.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds delicious! Too bad i'm vegetarian.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@i_like_swords:

If it's not good enough for your eyes, then why is it good enough for your mouth?

You can't feed your family with hurt feelings. Also you not eating that slaughtered chicken breast isn't going to bring it back to life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

If it's not good enough for your eyes, then why is it good enough for your mouth?

You can't feed your family with hurt feelings. Also you not eating that slaughtered chicken breast isn't going to bring it back to life.

Sure. But alternatively you could just eat stuff that doesn't have to experience pain and death, and not financially support a cruel industry.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@i_like_swords: That sounds simple on paper but when you have fussy kids at home who have a hard time acquiescing to certain foods or even that can't eat certain ingredients found in select processed items, those factors often take priority over the chicken you'll only think about for a couple minutes. There's also the deep-seeded cultural aspects of eating meat that'll likely never change.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: Taste buds can adapt. Kids can eat animals if they really want to (a lot don't, because culture hasn't got them yet), while their parents can eat vegan. There's always an alternative to chicken. Saying "it will never change" has never been a good reason not to do something good. I imagine people thought black slavery would never change during the 400 years it was taking place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I don't see the point. If you did this, then you'd have to do with it other foods like canned corn, cereal, or poptarts. I guess the purpose of this would be shock value for you? Even if they did somehow decide to do that (would never ever happen), I don't think it would kill the meat industry. They already do a similar thing with cigarettes, yet people keep buying and buying. The fact is that the culture is so deep with eating meat, that it's more likely we start to colonize Mars within the next year than having the meat industry take a major hit.

So no it doesn't sound good or appealing. Seeing how our food is made can go for every other food we consume. People can see how their food is made with a simple internet search, watching a tv show or by using their imagination.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idiotic thread

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@i_like_swords:

Taste buds can adapt.

Which takes time and effort most people aren't willing to go through to add to the possible laundry list of other real life problems they have to deal with.

Kids can eat animals if they really want to (a lot don't, because culture hasn't got them yet), while their parents can eat vegan

Veganism doesn't work for everybody on a biological level, nor is it at all realistic to expect anybody to completely alter their lifestyle for animals they'll never see.

There's always an alternative to chicken.

Sure, but if the only problem with eating chicken comes from a moral compass we're not conditioned to have then why bother? Let's also not pretend that many of those alternatives don't have negative effects on animals and the environment, namely soybean production in South American rainforests.

Saying "it will never change" has never been a good reason not to do something good.

It's not just a simple justification. We've gotten to a point in our culture that expects goods and services as fast and easy as possible. Everything from fast food restaurants to broadband internet is based around that principle, and it's not going to change anytime soon if at all considering the way technology is advancing.

I imagine people thought black slavery would never change during the 400 years it was taking place.

It took almost 5 centuries for the Americas to realize that minorities should be considered (mostly) equal to people of European descent and chattel slavery is a relatively recent practice. Humans have been slaughtering animals for consumption since the dawn of time, not only is it ingrained in practically every represented cultural background but it's part of our genetic makeup. I'd imagine Christianity would be outlawed sooner than processed meats.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I mostly consume the Mediterranean Diet, so that wouldn't affect me too much. Only really when I ate Poultry, in that case I wouldn't be opposed to it. I'm against needless cruelty and if that helps stops it, I'm all game.

How would this be dealt with when someone orders at a restaurant, OP?

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I do not support any unnecessary business regulations, and this is about as unnecessary as it gets.

I know similar laws exist in some places regarding cigarette cartons, but if you ask me, those shouldn't be law either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I don't see the point. If you did this, then you'd have to do with it other foods like canned corn, cereal, or poptarts.

I don't think there's any ambiguity or ethical issues with vegetables being pulled out of the ground. Though some more information on junk food would be good.

I guess the purpose of this would be shock value for you?

Even if they did somehow decide to do that (would never ever happen), I don't think it would kill the meat industry. They already do a similar thing with cigarettes, yet people keep buying and buying.

The fact is that the culture is so deep with eating meat, that it's more likely we start to colonize Mars within the next year than having the meat industry take a major hit.

So no it doesn't sound good or appealing. Seeing how our food is made can go for every other food we consume. People can see how their food is made with a simple internet search, watching a tv show or by using their imagination.

If the consumer in question would be shocked by it, I guess. It's more just a question I found interesting.

People seem to ignore those health warnings because "it'll never happen to me." In this scenario, they are faced with a grotesque moral dilemma.

I agree, it will take a while.

I would argue people are misled by the gargantuan amount of false advertising the meat industry funds, which would make them less inclined to do their own research. If instead of pushy vegans linking slaughterhouse footage, the meat industry put huge windows in all of their slaughterhouses, I'm not sure if the meat-culture would be as strong.

1. Which takes time and effort most people aren't willing to go through to add to the possible laundry list of other real life problems they have to deal with.

2. Veganism doesn't work for everybody on a biological level, nor is it at all realistic to expect anybody to completely alter their lifestyle for animals they'll never see.

3. Sure, but if the only problem with eating chicken comes from a moral compass we're not conditioned to have then why bother? Let's also not pretend that many of those alternatives don't have negative effects on animals and the environment, namely soybean production in South American rainforests.

4. It's not just a simple justification. We've gotten to a point in our culture that expects goods and services as fast and easy as possible. Everything from fast food restaurants to broadband internet is based around that principle, and it's not going to change anytime soon if at all considering the way technology is advancing.

5. It took almost 5 centuries for the Americas to realize that minorities should be considered (mostly) equal to people of European descent and chattel slavery is a relatively recent practice. Humans have been slaughtering animals for consumption since the dawn of time, not only is it ingrained in practically every represented cultural background but it's part of our genetic makeup. I'd imagine Christianity would be outlawed sooner than processed meats.

1. It is a bit of an inconvenience to eat less of something that you've always eaten and is advertised to you all the time. Some people argue convenience isn't more important than their morals.

2. No, properly planned vegan diets are okay for every normal human being. Everything we need can be found in plants. I and millions of others completely altered our lifestyles for animals we didn't see... when we saw them. I think raising awareness and seeing the process is an important part to change.

3. Conditioning can be changed, evidently. Soybeans that are converted into grain to feed to animals, primarily. You can be vegan and acknowledge other important issues.

4. So make vegan food fast and easy too. I'm not saying it's easy, I just disagree it's impossible and unworthy of aspiring to.

5. Eating animals has been done for the minority of our time on earth. It has little to do with genetics. We have no physiological disposition towards killing and eating animals, especially without the convenience of modern technology.

How would this be dealt with when someone orders at a restaurant, OP?

Images in menus.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I do not support any unnecessary business regulations, and this is about as unnecessary as it gets.

I know similar laws exist in some places regarding cigarette cartons, but if you ask me, those shouldn't be law either.

Giving people information that may be important to them isn't necessary, no, but it might be important. Not many knew what smoking did to them when it was popular in the 90s.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: True, but I do still do not believe it should be mandatory for those labels to be on cigarette cartons. If someone wants to smoke, they should be allowed to. If you want to educate people on the dangers of smoking, run a PSA on TV, instead of forcing cigarette producers to relabel their packaging.

I'm a staunch advocate for the free market and individual choices. I am against pretty much every sin tax law and other unnecessary regulations regarding personal choices.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By dernman  Online

As a result of this thread I'm going to have a steak. In fact I'm going to have one each day for the next week, I'm going to do it every time I see one of these dumb threads pop up.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

And the point I guess is to upset people so much they wont buy the product.

Tell you what, it doesn't work. It outrages peevish parents for a while. Kids just get more interested, then they get comfortable with the idea and then they just ignore it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nice sensationalism you got there

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh FFS, vegans gone wild.

Animals kill other animals for food. The sooner everybody gets over that the better.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

I'd look for the sweetest most innocent looking animal and i'd choose that one to eat... yum yum yum.

@dernman said:

As a result of this thread I'm going to have a steak. In fact I'm going to have one each day for the next week, I'm going to do it every time I see one of these dumb threads pop up.

Loading Video...

my meal

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That makes no sense. Humans kill each other out of fear & differences of opinion.

What on Earth makes you think seeing a dead animal will stop humans from eating meat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

Nice sensationalism you got there

Oh FFS, vegans gone wild.

Animals kill other animals for food. The sooner everybody gets over that the better.

You guys are right, vegans are hella unreasonable. For every vegan I see I'm gonna eat a baby lamb. Circle of life.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, you've been a vegan for two months. Don't you think creating multiple threads in a day to challenge people's morality over killing animals for food is a TAD excessive?

If your goal is to not make vegans seem preachy you've done a poor job of it.

Anyway, this won't actually change anything. You'd be surprised how little empathy the average human has for anything that doesn't look like them. The fact incredibly inhumane "pest control" devices like glue traps still exist is testament to that. Anyone who has used one has seen first hand the small, panicked rodent try to escape and heard it effectively screaming as it slowly gets enveloped by the glue and either suffocates or starves to death. Yet they still use them.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AbstractRaze

@i_like_swords

It's more than evident that you're trying to work on the psychology with the purpose of generating guiltiness, but consuming other animal flesh doesn't make us bad beings in a single sight, it's just the natural order which made it so, if one consume other animal flesh which comes from a living organism, like plants which are living organism too, their lives weren't sacrificed in vain, because their essence would be part of us after ingesting them.

If someday a superior race arrives our planet and eats us because we're weaker, it's part of our natural cycle to be ingested by the other superior species, no matter if it happens till reaching our extinction or if they could come 2 times per year to hold a huge amount of humans.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BlueHope

@i_like_swords

Yes and if there is rats,bats,rabbits,snakes or bugs in your property and you call someone to get rid of them they must be caught alive and you must see the workers kill every single one of them in front of you, same logic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, if only to enjoy the shitstorm that would follow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metaljimmor:

Man, you've been a vegan for two months. Don't you think creating multiple threads in a day to challenge people's morality over killing animals for food is a TAD excessive?

I'm only doing this for the sake of debating.

If your goal is to not make vegans seem preachy you've done a poor job of it.

I can't really help it if people want to generalise an entire population of people. We know how not to stereotype black people, but apparently one dude on Comic Vine making threads about veganism represents the millions of vegans across the earth. I do wonder if we are the hyper-evolved species many of us claim to be. ;)

It's more than evident that you're trying to work on the psychology with the purpose of generating guiltiness, but consuming other animal flesh doesn't make us bad beings in a single sight, it's just the natural order which made it so, if one consume other animal flesh which comes from a living organism, like plants which are living organism too, their lives weren't sacrificed in vain, because their essence would be part of us after ingesting them.

Uh huh. I'm trying to psychologically manipulate people by posting threads that people have the choice to click on and respond to.

But the meat, dairy and egg industries which spend hundreds of billions of dollars advertising their food to you? Totally have your best interests at heart. Not trying to sway you one way or another.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@major_hellstorm said:

I see.

So seeing how meat is prepared: traumatising.

Eating the same meat for lunch: okay.

I find that quite confusing. If it's not good enough for your eyes, then why is it good enough for your mouth?

I find portabella mushrooms visually displeasing. So therefore it's bad for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan2424: Unless you are devoid of compassion and empathy, you must feel something when you look at a cow being executed. I'm struggling to find the comparison to a mushroom being picked out of the ground.

That's basically why I think this is an interesting question to ask; would people feel more empathy for the animals they eat if they saw them in their final moments? I would think so.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan2424: Unless you are devoid of compassion and empathy, you must feel something when you look at a cow being executed. I'm struggling to find the comparison to a mushroom being picked out of the ground.

That's basically why I think this is an interesting question to ask; would people feel more empathy for the animals they eat if they saw them in their final moments? I would think so.

Survival of the fittest.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

Survival of the fittest.

I understand survival. But I survive just fine eating grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables which I buy in the supermarket in the year 2017. Where's the point in killing animals when I can just do that?

Dixy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dixy

You're not doing anything to dissuade the annoying preachy vegan stereotype I have to say, of course not every vegan is like this but it's getting harder and harder to find those who aren't, it's like turning vegan switches the snob switch on in the brain but I've met some irl who don't seem to have a pathological need to try and make meat eaters feel guilty, we have canines and incisors, it's natural to eat meat, other animals kill animals, circle of life and all that, but if any vegan thinks this idea should really be implemented I don't get angry I just think it's a bit sad, with that said I don't think this is a dumb topic because it's fun to imagine the world in any other state, but no it wouldn't stop people from eating meat, people love eating it, if I went to a restaurant and they brought the live chicken that was to be killed in front of me, it wouldn't stop me from ordering the chicken, I think you mean to start an interesting discussion but I can't help getting reminded of this silly woman

Loading Video...

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan2424 said:
@i_like_swords said:

Survival of the fittest.

I understand survival. But I survive just fine eating grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables which I buy in the supermarket in the year 2017. Where's the point in killing animals when I can just do that?

Because you're naturally predisposed to eat animals. We're like that for a reason, let's not try to fight nature, without reason.

Plus, they taste delicious.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

We're really not that evolved. We're still driven by the same basic instincts every other animal has and our minds are still hardwired toward stone age thinking of "us vs them". Our society has technologically advanced far passed our primitive brain's ingrained psychological limits. That's an entirely different subject, though.

My point is only that you're contributing to the stereotype, and by doing that further justified their primitive ape brained disdain for veganism.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Why should we go through the trouble? You think we owe it to the animals?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixy: If you identify the word "vegan" with a certain type of person, I can't help you. But I remember learning when I was in single digits of age that stereotyping an entire population of people based on what one member of the group comes off as is generally a stupid thing to do.

I'm sorry you clicked on my threads, took the time to read my posts and decided to get upset about it.

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this is the way to change people's minds. If you want to promote the vegan life style then that's great and there are plenty of ways to do it but I wouldn't force it down people's throats like this.

With smoking it's more understandable as it doesn't only affect the person choosing to smoke in a lot of cases. Meat also doesn't necessarily harm the person eating it, and is normally a healthy option.

Also I know this is insensitive but I've never found a reason to care about animals for the most part. I'd prefer they weren't hurt when they died and hope they are treated well prior to their death but it's not a major concern compared to a lot of other things going on right now. I'd like to understand what drives people to campaign so strongly for animal rights?

Dixy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dixy

@i_like_swords said:

@dixy: If you identify the word "vegan" with a certain type of person, I can't help you. But I remember learning when I was in single digits of age that stereotyping an entire population of people based on what one member of the group comes off as is generally a stupid thing to do.

Maybe you didn't read my comment properly

of course not every vegan is like this

Here's what I said, there's a difference between stereotyping a whole group of people as the same and saying that someone is propagating a certain stereotype, which is what I said you were doing, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging the generalizations that exist, some of my friends are vegan and they're lax and don't fit the mold

Here I see you're propagating a stereotype, is there something wrong with that?

I'm sorry you clicked on my threads, took the time to read my posts and decided to get upset about it.

Who said I was upset? I even said your thread wasn't stupid and was constructive, no need to get snarky with me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because you're naturally predisposed to eat animals. We're like that for a reason, let's not try to fight nature, without reason.

Plus, they taste delicious.

"Naturally predisposed" doesn't make sense to me. I have little nails, broad, flat molar teeth that move side to side, and no instinct to chase down and kill other animals - all the opposites of what a predator have. I need to use technology to kill animals, and my own conscience/intuition led me to believing that plants are a better option for me.

@jonez_ said:

@i_like_swords: Why should we go through the trouble? You think we owe it to the animals?

I felt like I owed it to myself not to be a hypocrite. I can't speak for anyone else though. And I don't think I need to owe anything to anyone to treat them better.

My point is only that you're contributing to the stereotype, and by doing that further justified their primitive ape brained disdain for veganism.

Okay bro. It's a public internet forum. People can read what they want, click on what they want, respond to who they want, etc. I use this place as a resource to do some debating/discussing while raising a small amount of awareness for something I think is important. If you feel compelled to interpret that as holier-than-thou preaching, go ahead. In-person, I never mention veganism until someone else asks what I eat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixy:

Here's what I said, there's a difference between stereotyping a whole group of people as the same and saying that someone propagating a certain stereotype, which is what I said you were doing, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging the generalizations that exist

Who said I was upset? I even said your thread wasn't stupid and was constructive, no need to get snarky with me

So just a quick run down of things you said about me:

• My posts reinforce a negative stereotype (which is to say you find me annoying and preachy)
  • "it's like turning vegan switches the snob switch on in the brain"
  • "but I can't help getting reminded of this silly woman"

Then you linked a video of a woman who is presumably pretty annoying to listen to (didn't bother clicking it).

I wonder if you can figure out why I was "snarky" with you, lmao. But to each their own, we don't need to speak to each other. You do seem upset.

Dixy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixy:

Here's what I said, there's a difference between stereotyping a whole group of people as the same and saying that someone propagating a certain stereotype, which is what I said you were doing, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging the generalizations that exist

So just a quick run down of things you said about me:

• My posts reinforce a negative stereotype (which is to say you find me annoying and preachy)
  • "it's like turning vegan switches the snob switch on in the brain"
  • "but I can't help getting reminded of this silly woman"

Then you linked a video of a woman who is presumably pretty annoying to listen to (didn't bother clicking it).

I wonder if you can figure out why I was "snarky" with you, lmao. But to each their own, we don't need to speak to each other. You do seem upset.

Yep I see your point but no I'm not upset

No I like speaking to you despite you fitting a stereotype, this thread is interesting as I've said, let's keep going

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

I'm not saying you can't make whatever thread you want and I'm not trying to disparage you as a person, and I apologize if that's how it came off. I took a more casual tone than I probably should have given we don't really interact much on this forum. I read over what I said and realized it came off as more hostile than intended.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

"Naturally predisposed" doesn't make sense to me. I have little nails, broad, flat molar teeth that move side to side, and no instinct to chase down and kill other animals - all the opposites of what a predator have. I need to use technology to kill animals, and my own conscience/intuition led me to believing that plants are a better option for me.

All because you feel a certain way (Which is no doubt influenced by 3rd parties) doesn't change nature man. Or your tastebuds.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@i_like_swords: You know, people used to see animals slaughtered all the time, it is just now becoming an issue since we are squirmish at the site of blood. If you marketed the killing we would just desensitize it all over again and have it as an everyday thing.

Shepard-Croft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care