All-New Heap of Joygirl Reviews -- come and seeeeee!

• 100 results
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By JakeN7

@joygirl said:

@spitfirepanda: Don't listen to him, he likes being wrong.

Yeah, and so does the rest of the critics in the comic industry apparently. http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/dc-comics/red-lanterns/21 Just click "next issue" to see the reviews for the whole run.

But, in case you don't want to, the average critic score for Red Lanterns issues #21-31 is an 8.1/10. The average user score is 8.6/10

(and yes, these review collections include our very own Comicvine's reviews)

@joygirl said:

• A small force of greens being able to easily overcome all the reds

It's my understanding that Wrath of the First Lantern absolutely decimated the Red's forces, and only left a handful of Reds. Unless you're referring to something before Soule's run, in which case, I couldn't care less. I'm only talking about issue #21 and onwards.

@joygirl said:

• Ratchet multiplying in size
  • Zilius becoming gray
  • Skallox using guns

These are such inconsequential and petty complaints, that I don't even remember them in the comics.

@joygirl said:

• Atrocitus being a total wimp without his ring

Umm...Red Lantern rings replace a Reds' heart. Therefore, taking off the ring = death. That's why Atrocitus needed Dex-Starr to save him.

@joygirl said:

• The fact that it spits at continuity by even mentioning that Emerald Warriors happened

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I care a lot more about a good story than continuity (which should explain me rolling my eyes and scoffing at the 3 grouped complaints I responded to above).

@joygirl said:

Bleez's treatment is the biggest problem. That doesn't make it the only problem.

None of your "problems" have any baring on the overall story. You didn't review the story, you nitpicked minor details of your favorite characters. It's just so inconsequential to the book itself.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@joygirl: lol. I'll take your word for it :P

Bleez seems like a fascinating character to me, based on your description of her before the reboot. I'm curious about why you think they took this direction with the character? is it just to make Rankor look better by contrast? Or could they be going somewhere with this that the readers just can't see yet?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

@jaken7: Your face is inconsequential to everything.

You're obviously just making stuff up.

• The battle showed their forces as being around equal, and the greens were stomping face. That's not how it goes.
  • Petty complaints? Change the color of a character you care about, see how petty it is. Let's make Superman a midget and see if it's petty or not. Maybe we'll give Flash a bazooka. So petty.
  • Atros has his heart replaced and was still barely able to function. Baseline ringless Atros killed Abin Sur.
  • "Lol continuity's silly." Sure.

I don't give a damn what the other critics say. Soule's issues had some good dialogue and a stronger focus on the Green Lanterns, which most other people care about more. But as an actual Red Lantern book it was complete ass. You're just trying to be contrary.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By JakeN7

No Caption Provided

BITCH, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME!

(which is why I'm going to have to put a disclaimer here, warning you that I am completely NOT serious. Just joking around. :P)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleez seems like a fascinating character to me, based on your description of her before the reboot. I'm curious about why you think they took this direction with the character? is it just to make Rankor look better by contrast? Or could they be going somewhere with this that the readers just can't see yet?

I honestly have no idea. It started around issue 13 and just got worse from there. I can't even read the title anymore.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By JakeN7

@joygirl said:

• The battle showed their forces as being around equal, and the greens were stomping face. That's not how it goes.
  • Petty complaints? Change the color of a character you care about, see how petty it is. Let's make Superman a midget and see if it's petty or not. Maybe we'll give Flash a bazooka. So petty.
  • Atros has his heart replaced and was still barely able to function. Baseline ringless Atros killed Abin Sur.

I don't give a damn what the other critics say. Soule's issues had some good dialogue and a stronger focus on the Green Lanterns, which most other people care about more. But as an actual Red Lantern book it was complete ass. You're just trying to be contrary.

• Which specific battle? Because in #21, they talk about how they were almost completely wiped out, and that's why they send out all those new Red Lantern rings. Charles Soule's run was practically a soft reboot.
  • Yes, petty. Those two examples aren't even close to a change of hue in a character's pigmentation (the examples are much more dramatic and drastic). What color was he before even?
  • THAT WAS BEFORE HE WAS A RED LANTERN! His heart wouldn't have been replaced by a Red Lantern ring, therefore, not having a ring would not mean death. Come on, you're better than this.
  • Compared to the story (especially when it's this petty), yes.

I'm not just trying to be contrary, I have a different opinion than you. My opinion is the majority opinion, so telling the other user not to listen to me because I'm "wrong" is a lie.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@joygirl said:

• Which specific battle? Because in #21, they talk about how they were almost completely wiped out, and that's why they send out all those new Red Lantern rings. Charles Soule's run was practically a soft reboot.
  • Yes, petty. Those two examples aren't even close to a change of hue in a character's pigmentation (the examples are much more dramatic and drastic). What color was he before even?
  • THAT WAS BEFORE WAS A RED LANTERN! His heart wouldn't have been replaced by a Red Lantern ring, therefore, not having a ring would not mean death. Come one, you're better than this.

I'm not just trying to be contrary, I have a different opinion than you. My opinion is the majority opinion, so telling the other user not to listen to me because I'm "wrong" is a lie.

• I forget. I've tried to block it out. 21 sounds like a possibility. But wiped out or not, one red is worth several greens.
  • He was brown. Ratchet grew like eight times his size. You're only dismissing the examples because you have an agenda.
  • But then Dex replaced it. When Dex put his heart back he should have been exactly as good as he was before he got the ring. Instead he was feeble and needed to be protected with a shield.
  • It's important to me. Therefore it's not petty. And those are only side-problems next to the big glaring issue that is Bleez's character assassination.

Have fun with your opinion.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By JakeN7

@joygirl said:

@jaken7 said:

@joygirl said:

• THAT WAS BEFORE WAS A RED LANTERN! His heart wouldn't have been replaced by a Red Lantern ring, therefore, not having a ring would not mean death. Come one, you're better than this.

• I forget. I've tried to block it out. 21 sounds like a possibility. But wiped out or not, one red is worth several greens.
  • He was brown. Ratchet grew like eight times his size. You're only dismissing the examples because you have an agenda.
  • But then Dex replaced it. When Dex put his heart back he should have been exactly as good as he was before he got the ring. Instead he was feeble and needed to be protected with a shield.
  • It's important to me. Therefore it's not petty. And those are only side-problems next to the big glaring issue that is Bleez's character assassination.

Have fun with your opinion.

• And yet you try and give an unbiased opinion. :P Yes, they were wiped out after Wrath of the First Lantern. I know they are worth several Greens, again, what battle are you specifically referring to? Did it take place after #21?
  • And you're only focusing on them because you have your own agenda. Also, Zilius Zox looks pretty grey here:
Red Lanterns #2
Red Lanterns #2
Red Lanterns #4
Red Lanterns #4
Not sure, but definitely pre-#21
Not sure, but definitely pre-#21
  • Doesn't look all that feeble to me (also, no shield in sight):
No Caption Provided
  • It's petty to me. It's important to you, yes. Not to me.

No, you have fun with yours (although it is slightly misguided)!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: I can't wait for the inevitable day that something really gets under your skin and I can just ruthlessly invalidate you. It's gonna be a blast. :D

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By JakeN7

@joygirl said:

@jaken7: I can't wait for the inevitable day that something really gets under your skin and I can just ruthlessly invalidate you. It's gonna be a blast. :D

You mean like I just did to you!?

No Caption Provided

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@joygirl said:

Yeah, that was kinda the point.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By JakeN7

@joygirl said:

@jaken7 said:

@joygirl said:

Yeah, that was kinda the point.

I know, I just had to rub it in a little bit.

I look forward to that day though!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Is Killustrated the one where he kills classic lit characters?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@jaken7 said:

Yeah.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

Yeah.

Thanks. I probably should have just clicked on the link before I asked the question. Lol.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@joygirl: Read your Red Lantern rant. Superior Spider-Man is still far worse than what's happened to Red Lanterns. Heck issue 9 is one of the worst things Slott has ever written that defeats every bad aspect of the Red Lantern run put together.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@joygirl: Read your Red Lantern rant. Superior Spider-Man is still far worse than what's happened to Red Lanterns. Heck issue 9 is one of the worst things Slott has ever written that defeats every bad aspect of the Red Lantern run put together.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to talk about Red Lanterns anymore. I was not merciful with my counter-arguments. Superior Spiderman's great though. What happened with #9 is all resolved in #30. It was a fun ride, that's all. Definitely shook up Spidey comics when it needed it most. Pete's back though, so...stop complaining. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:
@lvenger said:

I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to talk about Red Lanterns anymore. I was not merciful with my counter-arguments. Superior Spiderman's great though. What happened with #9 is all resolved in #30. It was a fun ride, that's all. Definitely shook up Spidey comics when it needed it most. Pete's back though, so...stop complaining. :P

But did it actually need it?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:
@lvenger said:

I thought everything was getting pretty stale, honestly. I like the new status-quo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

@jaken7 said:
@lvenger said:

I thought everything was getting pretty stale, honestly. I like the new status-quo.

I think Superior was a great idea, the villain becomes the hero. Fantastic! I just prefer it when it's done much better.. you know Kraven's Last Hunt.

Djainess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

Fair enough but unfortunately I can be equally un-merciful when it comes to Superior Spider-Man. I absolutely detest what it did to Peter Parker. Issue 9 was one of the most sickening things I have read for the character easily comparable to Sins Past and OMD in terms of absolute terrible Spider-Man writing. Slott just didn't write SpOck fitting in well with the supporting cast, he screwed the pooch on The Avengers somehow not finding out what happened to Spider-Man and his stories were not that good at all. It definitely did not shake up Spider-Man comics when it needed to most, it ruined Spider-Man comics for die hard Peter Parker fans the most. Also old wounds die hard and all that.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By JakeN7

@lvenger said:

@jaken7 said:

Fair enough but unfortunately I can be equally un-merciful when it comes to Superior Spider-Man. I absolutely detest what it did to Peter Parker. Issue 9 was one of the most sickening things I have read for the character easily comparable to Sins Past and OMD in terms of absolute terrible Spider-Man writing. Slott just didn't write SpOck fitting in well with the supporting cast, he screwed the pooch on The Avengers somehow not finding out what happened to Spider-Man and his stories were not that good at all. It definitely did not shake up Spider-Man comics when it needed to most, it ruined Spider-Man comics for die hard Peter Parker fans the most. Also old wounds die hard and all that.

Meh. I'm tempted to call the wahmbulance. :P

I liked the creation of Anna Maria Marconi (one of my all time favorite Spidey supporting characters), the new Sinister Six (which spawned one of the most critically acclaimed Marvel books on the shelves) the exodus of Spidey 2099 to our current timeline (and the expansion of Miguel O'Hara's mythos), the expansion of the Goblin mythos, the new suit, the Spidey army, the Spidey bots, the 4 Spidey legs/tentacles, the destruction of Shadowland, the return to form of the whole Spidey and J. Jonah relationship, etc. Again, you can't really complain about #9 when it didn't actually have any long-term effects. Ironically, it's actually "time heals all wounds" and "old habits die hard."

It looks like you're actively seeking out things to hate about it, instead of appreciating the good things about it.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By JakeN7

@jaken7 said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

@jaken7 said:
@lvenger said:

I think Superior was a great idea, the villain becomes the hero. Fantastic! I just prefer it when it's done much better.. you know Kraven's Last Hunt.

That's not all that it was about though.

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

the movie review page is too spooky :(

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7:

Meh. I'm tempted to call the wahmbulance. :P

Come on Jaken, is that necessary? You're a decent guy on here but even you have to see the blatant flaws in Superior Spider-Man for what they were. It's foolish to deny otherwise.

creation of Anna Maria Marconi

There was nothing special or unique about her at all. Nowhere near the likes of Gwen Stacy, Harry Osborn or Mary Jane in supporting cast status let alone the actually more interesting Horizon cast as of recently.

the new Sinister Six

They only appeared in a few issues and their quality comes from their own title, not from Superior Spider-Man.

the expansion of the Goblin mythos

What, the whole Goblin King threat? That was built up way too much that the ending was anti climatic. Besides, the hierachy was only temporary and has no major ramifications after Superior ended.

the new suit, the Spidey army, the Spidey bots

These all stank of arrogant, asinine workings of Slott's fan fic jerk off session where he tried to make out SpOck being so much better and more efficient than Peter when he was just writing the same old Doc Ock, only in Peter's body desecrating his memory and legacy. The total control of all these inventions is absolutely un Spider-Man like that it isn't funny. I like Peter using tech in crime fighting but Octavious took it way too far. And it didn't work in the story other than giving SpOck good tech feats.

the return to form of the whole Spidey and J. Jonah relationship

That could have happened any other way without Superior Spider-Man forcing the relationship back to normal.

Again, you can't really complain about #9 when it didn't actually have any long-term effects

When Slott had Peter Parker almost cause Otto Octavious to make a mistake in a sick girl's operation just to preserve his own secrecy from SpOck, that is the only justification for complaint one needs. It was a slap in the face to everything Peter stands for as, flawed and human he can be, he would never, ever prioritise his own life above someone else's. For a writer like Slott to fail to recognise that core tenant of Spider-Man's responsibilities is a mark of failure for his run. SpOck running around as Peter was bad enough but issue 9 had one of the worst, incorrect portrayals of Peter Parker I've ever seen.

It looks like you're actively seeking out things to hate about it, instead of appreciating the good things about it.

Incorrect, I gave this series a 6 issue chance before dropping it. I've seen the full measure of the series for myself and there is NOTHING good to appreciate about it. It's undoubtedly one of the worst Spider-Man stories of all time that has a poorly executed premise, majorly OOC moments for the supporting cast, moments which are just sheer dumbfoundedly terrible and not respectful of Spider-Man and his history in the slightest. There is a lot of justifiable criticism and many ways this title falls flat on its face for the ham fisted cliche it really is. That's why the series has received so much negative reaction to it. Because it's that bad for the reasons I listed above and more.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By JakeN7

@lvenger:

1. I think you're too worked up.

2. That was the whole point of issue 9. Peter never would've done that, and it devastated him when it almost happened.

3. Why am I not surprised that you haven't read the whole run?

4. Don't talk about Anna Maria like you know her. She's fantastic. I'm positive the only thing you have against her is that she was created during Superior Spider-Man.

5. You're complaining that Dock Ock fights crime differently than Peter. You realize how silly of a "complaint" that is, yes?

6. It was Slott's plan from the beginning to bring Peter back within a year, so why are you claiming he's just an Ock fan boy writing fan-fic during "jerk off sessions (really...)?"

7. Breathe.

8. You're a little late to be complaining about all this.

9. I really liked Superior. Sue me. I know there are a lot of people who did as well.

10. The entire series actually received generally positive reviews, and was a huge financial hit with consumers. The only negative reaction I can think of that you're referring to is the initial fan outcry because change is scary.

11. It's not illegal to have a different opinion then you, so there's no need to be so hostile.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Joygirl

@lvenger: Don't bother, Jake has no concept of other people being able to dislike things that he likes.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7:

1. Not when I have justifiable reasons for criticising something.
  2. Then why was that moment put in the first place when it destroys everything Peter stands for?
  3. Because it was that bad. I have followed all the issues online though so I know the nooks and crannies of the plot. And I'm still glad I never bought the rest of that horrible run.
  4. And don't talk like Anna Maria like she's the most complex, intriguing character ever created. She's nothing special, nothing unique about and no defining personality traits at all. She's not the worst thing about Superior Spider-Man but she's most definitely not the shining example of supporting characters that you think she is. She's just an average character, one that won't stand the test of time.
  5. And you realise how stuck up you sound by ignoring the valid objections of Peter Parker fans, yes? It's the way Doc Ock fought crime in such a way that disrespects how Peter conducted his crime fighting that makes it so bad.
  6. You did read Superior Spider-Man all the way through right? Because it seems so obvious it read as Slott's personal Doc Ock fan fic as someone he related to. Which he even said in interviews, making it even more ironic honestly.
  7. Why? Is this the 'worked up' feeling you're getting from me?
  8. I complained during the time this series was going on. Only Joygirl's comment at the end of her Red Lantern rant reminded me of the horror story that is Superior Spider-Man.
  9. And I know a lot of Spider-Man fans and non Spider-Man fans who hated it as well. So we're both even. A lot more people like Peter than SpOck, the 500,00 sales demonstrated that much.
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: I think this is an opposite scenario actually. He's the one worked up about me liking it...

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Technically you were the one who jumped in and said "It's fiiiiiiine!"

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By JakeN7

@lvenger:

1. No matter how justifiable your reasons, you're still too worked up. Especially considering the fact that you didn't actually read through it.

2. To give the character conflict? Duh.

3. Oh FFS. You haven't read the damn thing. Your opinion stems from a place of ignorance. I can't take you seriously, and you're making me roll my eyes with how strong of an opinion you have on something you haven't read.

4. She's brilliant, quirky, funny, a great cook, and does an amazing job at making you forget that she's a little person. The way Ock fell for her despite their differences was the best part of the whole run. You're starting to sound like an a-hole.

5. Why would Ock need to respect Peter? He fought crime like the villain he is. It makes sense.

6. Every issue, unlike you. If you'd actually read it, maybe you wouldn't think it's all fan-fic. Funny that you're trying to tell me what is obvious about it though. Want to link me to the interviews where he admits it's fan-fic, or are you just going to admit you made that up?

7. "It's more than a feeling" - Journey

8. Well, that doesnt make the timing any less bizarre.

9. Because it was a #1. What were the sales like for Superior #1? I'm sure they're comparable. Just checked. It was 200K. Not bad at all. 500K only happens once in a blue moon, and was all thanks to a new #1. It didn't have anything to do with people liking Peter more than Ock (although that's a fact, so why even bring it up? Who would like Ock more?) It's a childish argument in any case.

The fact that you decided not to address all my points from my first post (like destroying Shadowland, bringing back Spidey 2099, etc.) speaks volumes. Either you also think those are good aspects, which contradicts what you've been shouting for awhile, or you don't have a solid counter-argument against it. In any case, I liked Superior. So there.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: I didn't say he shot first, did I? I like having discussions. Sue me.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7:

1. I did, just not by buying it but via reading it online. I've seen what Superior Spider-Man entails and it's nothing good at all.
  2. But that ruins everything about who Peter is and what he stands for. Any Spider-Man fan could tell you that DUH.
  3. It's ironic how you accuse me of ignorance yet blatantly ignore the gaping flaws in your own argument and blind bias for liking this pi$$ poor excuse of a Spider-Man series. And you're making me shake my head in disbelief with the sheer bias you're exhibiting in failing to notice the utter flaws that Superior Spider-Man commits to the Spider-Man mythos. But that's not surprising considering most of its support comes from non Spider-Man fans in the first place. You clearly aren't a Spider-Man fan like myself so it's not surprising you would like this series.
  4. A great cook? Since when does that make a good character? And your description fits countless other female supporting cast members not only in Spider-Man and Marvel but across the comic industry. Try again if you want to be more convincing which is something you haven't been thus far.
  5. Doesn't change the fact that he ruined Peter's legacy all in a roundabout attempt by Marvel to get Peter back to exactly how he was in the original Stan Lee days. That's all Superior Spider-Man has done for the character and it's an utterly pointless move.
  6. It's obvious from reading it that it sounds like a fan fic Slott has been having of Ock becoming Spider-Man. Don't be delusional in ignoring this fact, Slott wrote this poorly thought out story like a fan fic and it suffers as a result.
  7. I have more than a feeling that you're the one who seems to be more worked up than I am.
  8. You were the one who jumped to your precious Superior Spider-Man's defense to stave off my 'dreadful' attempts to lay it low. Blame your own desire to ram whatever you like down other people's throats, not my legitimate criticisms against such a poorly written story.
  9. Only 188,182. In contrast to the 532,586 sales of Amazing Spider-Man 1. Pretty big difference no?

Likewise, your incorrect assessment and poorly lacking points speaks volumes about how much you fail to understand about the criticisms against Superior Spider-Man constituting a terribly constructed mess of a story. I didn't address the Shadowland or 2099 points because I wanted to focus on your other points but I'll address them now. Shadowland was a waste of storytelling space that could have been covered in Daredevil and I have no strong feelings on 2099 Spider-Man so you can see why I didn't bother with that comment. There's your counter argument. All of which adds up to a solid case for why there are numerous justifiable reasons for disliking Superior Spider-Man. Something plenty of other people on here also share as a view.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I didn't think you were still part of this site.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Whaaaaaa? What gave it away? The fact that I'm still active on multiple forums? O.o

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@teerack: Whaaaaaa? What gave it away? The fact that I'm still active on multiple forums? O.o

I don't know every poster on the site. I hadn't seen any reviews or news post from you in a really long time.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Ah, yeah, I've been primarily putting my reviews on these other sites (though my review of Asian School Girls was actually posted on CV not long ago).

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@teerack: Ah, yeah, I've been primarily putting my reviews on these other sites (though my review of Asian School Girls was actually posted on CV not long ago).

Idk what that is, but it sounds like something you'd review haha.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers