Alexander the Great VS Genghis Khan

• 92 results
wario1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll: Alexander the Great VS Genghis Khan (134 votes)

Alexander the Great 43%
Genghis Khan 56%

Who is the better General?

• 
MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MonsterStomp

Been done in battles before I think but I'd choose Alexander over Khan.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'll go with Alexander.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Alexander the Great for me. He was the type of guy I would let lead me.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Genghis Khan annihilates Alexander. He had a FAR bigger empire, was a better strategists, had better soldiers, fought more with his troops than Alexander. This isn't even close, Khan wipes the floor with Alexander.

wario1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Genghis Khan annihilates Alexander. He had a FAR bigger empire, was a better strategists, had better soldiers, fought more with his troops than Alexander. This isn't even close, Khan wipes the floor with Alexander.

Khan was better strategist than Alexander? Really?

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

@wario1988 said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

Khan was better strategist than Alexander? Really?

He conquered FAR more territory! ALL of Asia actually! Alexander didn't even conquer 1/4 of Europe, I don't even know why this is worth debating, Alexander couldn't shine Khan's shoes. The Feign Retreat was revolutionary.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kharn faught his way to the rim of Poland & if im not mistaken & didnt carry on to invade the whole of Europe because of a death in the family so went back to Mongolia.

CrouchingTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go ghengis khan. At 15 his wife was taken, was then given an army of like 10-15,000(by his father I think?) to get her back. Needless to say, he came, he saw, and destroyed those who took his wife, and got her back of course. That was before he lead the Mongolian empire to conquer more land than anyone, ever. I read that the fall of the empire came from within, for when his son became their leader, he didn't get any respect. People believed him to be Khan's illegitimate son. (They thought that Kahn's wife became pregnant when she was kidnapped, and most likely raped by her captors)

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't do much research on Genghis Kahn, but Alexander the Great was pretty dang good.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pure Military - Khan... More impressive battle record against better competition IMO... I'm not saying Alexander had incompetent competition, though. Genghis just had better competition.

Military plus Statehood - Alexander... Mongol diplomacy was at its peak under Kublai, not Genghis.

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

Alexander III of Macedon: commonly known as Alexander the Great was a king of Macedon, a state in northern ancient Greece. Born in Pella in 356 BC, Alexander was tutored by Aristotle until the age of 16. By the age of thirty, he had created one of the largest empires of the ancient world, stretching from the Ionian Sea to the Himalayas. He was undefeated in battle and is considered one of history's most successful commanders.

No Caption Provided

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Genghis conquered almost four times the lands of Alexander the Great.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

TheAuroraChild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this really even a contest?

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Outside_85

Khan, since the area he conquered amounted to the largest empire the Earth has ever seen, as a comparison:

Mongol Empire (you can see Greece on the far left:

No Caption Provided

Greek:

No Caption Provided

As you may notice, the area the Khan's conquered was roughly four-five times bigger. Genghis' share consists of the majority of central Asia.

wario1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this really even a contest?

Khan is not winning in the poll.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I find it interesting that for many the qualification for greatness is territorial acquisition.

So I just wish to ask which would be the greater feat? Taking a single US Marine base or all the elementary schools in Los Angeles County (with no police/military intervention on behalf of the schools)?

Given equal material, geography and enemy strength I would take Alexander.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6746eab553d
deactivated-5d6746eab553d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#21  Edited By Joygirl

Khan sacked Rome at the height of its power, took what he wanted, and left without a scratch, IIRC. His men were more loyal and every single unit was light cavalry -- you can't match that with hoplites.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Khan. 2nd largest empire in history. Genghis Khan basically took over the whole world. Africa or Europe weren't even threats. Asia was the dominant power.

INFINITE_DOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By INFINITE_DOOM

People that are voting for Alexander over Khan clearly didn't do well in world history.

wario1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People that are voting for Alexander over Khan clearly didn't do well in world history.

Easy there!

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
Gordyson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alexander.

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it interesting that for many the qualification for greatness is territorial acquisition.

So I just wish to ask which would be the greater feat? Taking a single US Marine base or all the elementary schools in Los Angeles County (with no police/military intervention on behalf of the schools)?

Given equal material, geography and enemy strength I would take Alexander.

Well Ghengis didn't just take over weak nations. He took Asia whis was a dominant power at the time and sacked Rome at the height of its power. Africa wasn't a threat.

Cybrilious4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently did an essay on Genghis Khan so I might be a bit bias but I also have facts.

Ciriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alexander

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In this day and age, I would say Alexander.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By Pyrogram

Alexander the Great

chikot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just was googling and suddenly came across this thread. My God, I am sorry guys but amount of ignorance and willingness to express strong opinions based upon ignorance is simply scary. Have anyone here read of Alexander or Chengis Khan before writing nonsense.

Few stated that Chengis Khan sacked Rome at Rome's height of power. Even if it were Attila the Hun still he came to Europe only in 5th A.D when Rome was almost good as dead mere shadow with no regular army and broken.

Chengis died on August 18, 1227 while on campaign against kingdom of Xia. He dropped form his horse and died few days later of injuries. By the time of his death the territory he conquered included Mongolia and few surroundings, Northern parts of China and parts of Central Asia which were taken in his campaigns against Mohammad II . It is only after his death that his different sons and grandsons moving in different directions conquered all those landmasses.

So, by his death he most probably conquered less land than Alexander. Also, Chengis was not commander of same level of genius Alexander was. He was a geat leader but most of his battles and campaigns were fought and won for him by his generals. Alexander combined both tachtical and strategical genius cause you cannot do without any going through such territory in such a short time. 16 years only... I am going with Alexander.

Please read more guys, good luck

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DivineDamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@chikot: Did you make an account on this website just to post this...?

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Rouflex

Why no Napoléon?

Khan.

joyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are people comparing the amount of land they both conquered. Khan had far more soldiers and resources at his disposal. I'm not saying Alexander is superior but stop comparing how much each of then conquered.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Khan.

Awesome as alexander is, he doesn't match khan.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Size of area conquered is irrelevant when most of it is uninhabited.

edit: Also. Ghengis died before most of that land was conquered.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alexander the Great and Napoleon had no chance against Khan, he killed Spock.

No Caption Provided

He was too big to be taken down.

The western world usually makes everything to make Alexander The Great look better that any other man that ever lived.

But he wasnt half as great as people say, he would had lose against Hannibal.

A Man is as good as the army he has, you could say anything about Alexander The Great but he failed to take asia, thing that Khan did.

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KHANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! :)

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The Great one got the vote.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hbktimhbk said:

I didn't do much research on Genghis Kahn, but Alexander the Great was pretty dang good.

Still concur with this...

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alexander and Khan are two great generals.

But again, Khan. Usually it's him. Why? because he BUILT his army, conqured Jin Dynasty then assimilated Jin tech to his army. Then what, he destroyed the persians. Uninhabited land? there were shit loads of cities in central and mid asia. And he went all the way to the mid east. He is a mastermind in battle and campaign. He ordered his generals to take more space. Jebe took north and he and others took south and then went east. contrary to popular beliefs, Khan and the mongols were not savages. They usually spare civvies out of honor and shit. They killed them when the civs stayed. and the casualties are well you know, cus of war.

Khan is waaaaaay humbler than Alxander. Alex became a power hungry man. And he was dangerous to be around, his friend were no longer safe. That's cus he was brought up as a prince, a warrior prince but still, a prince. Khan was the son of a cheiftan. But lost everything when he was nine. grew up in poverty and a manhunt. enemies always tried to kill him. He was even inprisoned by the chinese as a man.

Khan is just a tough guy who learnt everything with his experience. He united the mongolians and then built a loyal driven army. The mongolian army is considerred history's most perfect war machine. It was fast and unstoppable, led by generals who were the best at the time. Jebe, Khan, Ogedei.. etc. all handpicked by Tem himself. Which made the campaigns lot easier. The mongol cav is the greates cav ever. Heavy, light, and archers were second to none at the time.

I could srsly list all the battles and khan's military and diplomatic proweess but it'd take much time and i don't have it unfortunately :P. so read this book: The Devil's Army.

Great read about the mongolians conquering literally everything

BTW mongols smashed euro knights and several caliphates. In Poland, east Germany, and Hungary, no knights could stop the mongols. In Mohi, they were outnumbered, but used chem weapons to cover their cavs. Lured center in, then used bow n arrow to weaken the whole army. Then swung their wings at teh enemy flanks completely obliterating the europeans.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't the British Empire larger than the Mongul Empire?

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alexander and Khan are two great generals.

But again, Khan. Usually it's him. Why? because he BUILT his army, conqured Jin Dynasty then assimilated Jin tech to his army. Then what, he destroyed the persians. Uninhabited land? there were shit loads of cities in central and mid asia. And he went all the way to the mid east. He is a mastermind in battle and campaign. He ordered his generals to take more space. Jebe took north and he and others took south and then went east. contrary to popular beliefs, Khan and the mongols were not savages. They usually spare civvies out of honor and shit. They killed them when the civs stayed. and the casualties are well you know, cus of war.

Khan is waaaaaay humbler than Alxander. Alex became a power hungry man. And he was dangerous to be around, his friend were no longer safe. That's cus he was brought up as a prince, a warrior prince but still, a prince. Khan was the son of a cheiftan. But lost everything when he was nine. grew up in poverty and a manhunt. enemies always tried to kill him. He was even inprisoned by the chinese as a man.

Khan is just a tough guy who learnt everything with his experience. He united the mongolians and then built a loyal driven army. The mongolian army is considerred history's most perfect war machine. It was fast and unstoppable, led by generals who were the best at the time. Jebe, Khan, Ogedei.. etc. all handpicked by Tem himself. Which made the campaigns lot easier. The mongol cav is the greates cav ever. Heavy, light, and archers were second to none at the time.

I could srsly list all the battles and khan's military and diplomatic proweess but it'd take much time and i don't have it unfortunately :P. so read this book: The Devil's Army.

Great read about the mongolians conquering literally everything

BTW mongols smashed euro knights and several caliphates. In Poland, east Germany, and Hungary, no knights could stop the mongols. In Mohi, they were outnumbered, but used chem weapons to cover their cavs. Lured center in, then used bow n arrow to weaken the whole army. Then swung their wings at teh enemy flanks completely obliterating the europeans.

Great reasoning right here.
Plus, I'm from Mongolian descent. So, Khan it is. ^_^

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Khan, only because Alexander the Great is a person who falls somewhere being real but also mythological, his propaganda machine was very sophisticated for that era, after all that's how some his empire came into his hands.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a937e573d769
deactivated-5a937e573d769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean if their armies fought Khan would probably win. As for who's the better general I would go with Alexander.

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alexander, Khan was a great general/warlord, but never the statesman.