In case any dumbass thinks this is a bait thread, I will list down my carefully thought reasons why this proposal can actually be helpful.
- Productivity. Obese people are correlated with low levels of productivity. By discouraging obesity, people would be more productive.
- Increase quality of life. People out of fear, will learn to live healthier lives instead of gorging themselves (Think America) silly.
- Increase happiness. Studies have shown that some people overeat due to depression. The government should keep the people busy instead of eating.
- Shut up the mouths of those government detractors who cry wolf on every instance of "political correctness". Since this act is rather "politically incorrect", they would learn that the government isn't politically correct and be satisfied.
The Hows of Implementation
- Of course, there are different severity levels or categories of crime. Obviously, it goes without saying that obesity, if it ever becomes a crime, should be treated as a minor offence.
- Enact a new law that requires everyone who is of a certain minimum age and mentally sound, to go for medical checkups once a year and measure their weight.
- Whoever is deemed obese by various methods of measures, will be fined a certain amount of money - a disincentive to stop people from spending money on more food.
- Tax sugar and trans-fats products heavily.
- If it is non-feasible to make obesity a crime, perhaps the government can resort to a "carrot" instead of "stick" approach.
- Whoever is within the "healthy" range of an optional yearly medical checkup would be given vouchers for purchasing health products.
What do you think? Discuss.